• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
So my lantern got stuck behind one of those glow doors and now I have no way of accessing it and getting through the door. Am I missing something?

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Unlocked the pocket. I think this is a decent little game. I haven't been too frustrated yet but I'm only on level 3.

Died once and had to be super careful on my way back. Combat is simple but the sound effects and animations give it a little more oomph.

Funny though how I waited so long for both Ashen and Below and they release a week apart from each other. Both have some souls traits (Ashen more so) and both feature heavy use of a lantern. They both definitely have the atmosphere going for them that's for sure.

Edit- I guess I'll ask my first question here. Can you cook the meat you find to give it higher properties? How does one do that?

Last edited:

Apple_Prince

Nov 6, 2017
Unlocked the pocket. I think this is a decent little game. I haven't been too frustrated yet but I'm only on level 3.

Died once and had to be super careful on my way back. Combat is simple but the sound effects and animations give it a little more oomph.

Funny though how I waited so long for both Ashen and Below and they release a week apart from each other. Both have some souls traits (Ashen more so) and both feature heavy use of a lantern. They both definitely have the atmosphere going for them that's for sure.

Edit- I guess I'll ask my first question here. Can you cook the meat you find to give it higher properties? How does one do that?
you cant cook the meat on its own it must be combined with water and 3 other items to make soup.

Ezel

Oct 28, 2017
So my lantern got stuck behind one of those glow doors and now I have no way of accessing it and getting through the door. Am I missing something?
Had the exact same issue on the third floor and never found a way to retrieve my lantern... Somebody said it's supposed to stay open after you die but in my case it didn't!

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The struggle from levels 7-9 is real. Especially when you have no lantern. Any tips fellas? I have made practically no progress the last couple days...

Last edited:

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Below is definitely scoring lower on Metacritic than I had initially expected prior to release. It's shaping up to be a disappointment critically - especially considering how much many people seemed to expect from it (IGN even bizarrely nominated it for some year-end awards before review copies arrived).

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Just finished it, don't even know what to say about the ending right now.
Without any spoilers is it so cryptic thay its meaningless or was it like fade to black and credits? Im having a tough time deciding whether to refund or not. The gameplay is okay, but I dont want to play this for 30ish hours without a payoff.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
so playing the game isn't a payoff in itself?
I kinda think it requires a bit more tbh. The gameplay itself is fun, but not fun enough to carry it in my opinion. In my understanding there is some cool stuff in the later levels, which adds to the exploration wibe a lot. But if there is absolutely no payoff in the end, I dont think its for me. So how would you characterize the ending?

Edit. Sorry I though you were the one I originally quoted.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda think it requires a bit more tbh. The gameplay itself is fun, but not fun enough to carry it in my opinion. In my understanding there is some cool stuff in the later levels, which adds to the exploration wibe a lot. But if there is absolutely no payoff in the end, I dont think its for me. So how would you characterize the ending?

Edit. Sorry I though you were the one I originally quoted.
np. I've been thinking about buying the game and I don't usually care about endings in games, in fact I find most games to be too bloated to even finish but I can see how you'd want an extra payoff if the gameplay is a bit underwhelming.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I should have said this before but no matter how many times you die trying to recover the Lantern, it will always be on the floor it was originally dropped on. It might not be in the same place exactly but it will always be on that floor.

Hope this info helps!

It doesn't always stay where you dropped it. I went down a massive lift yesterday to a level deep below and this invisible wave killed me. When I sailed back into the beach my body and lantern where on the beach. So the game gave it back to me without needing to go find it where I died.

This game is works in strange and mysterious ways....

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I should have said this before but no matter how many times you die trying to recover the Lantern, it will always be on the floor it was originally dropped on. It might not be in the same place exactly but it will always be on that floor.

Hope this info helps!

It doesn't always stay where you dropped it. I went down a massive lift yesterday to a level deep below and this invisible wave killed me. When I sailed back into the beach my body and lantern where on the beach. So the game gave it back to me without needing to go find it where I died.

This game is works in strange and mysterious ways....

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I made it through the nightmare levels, and I'd been pretty much everywhere there is to go now. I'm missing one single crystal piece for the lantern and it would require going through ALL of the darkness again to grab, plus
going to the lighthouse then doing ALL of the darkness again to get to the star room down there
So I think having seen everywhere and not really wanting to sacrifice hours doing the same horrible area again twice I'll just youtube the final cutscenes lol. Having been everywhere though. This was an awesome yet flawed game. I complained a lot about difficulty but I guess in fairness in the end it didn't actually stop me progressing, I just think this game could be a touch more digestible with some optional QOL settings and still keep it's heart and challenge (and actually increase the enjoyment of the meticulous exploration). There is an incredibly special feeling captured with this game as well though, and I'm glad they managed to finish the project and get this out there, warts and all.

Just watched the ending - wow haha that was pretty wild. Frustrating I couldn't check that off personally but I have other games I'd really like to play before the year is out. That was pretty great though

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Somebody please help.

This game is simultaneously the most frustrating and compelling thing I've played.

Used the lantern to skip to the 4th floor and died. All the level 3 doors are locked with lantern doors.

What the fuck am I supposed to do?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Somebody please help.

This game is simultaneously the most frustrating and compelling thing I've played.

Used the lantern to skip to the 4th floor and died. All the level 3 doors are locked with lantern doors.

What the fuck am I supposed to do?

You're probably trying to get to floor 4 by going through level 3, but you need to take the north shore cave entrance to get to 4.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
You're probably trying to get to floor 4 by going through level 3, but you need to take the north shore cave entrance to get to 4.
My first time down I went north on level 2 which skipped level 3 and put me on 4.

I died there, but now all the doors I've found on 3 require the lantern.

Even the door you find and open using the diamond thing(sorry I don't know what the fuck it's called) once you get inside there's a bonfire and another lantern door.

I've explored every screen on level 3 and both doors I've found require a lantern.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
you cant cook the meat on its own it must be combined with water and 3 other items to make soup.
Ten four good buddy.
Below is definitely scoring lower on Metacritic than I had initially expected prior to release. It's shaping up to be a disappointment critically - especially considering how much many people seemed to expect from it (IGN even bizarrely nominated it for some year-end awards before review copies arrived).
Are reviews starting to come out?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
My first time down I went north on level 2 which skipped level 3 and put me on 4.

I died there, but now all the doors I've found on 3 require the lantern.

Even the door you find and open using the diamond thing(sorry I don't know what the fuck it's called) once you get inside there's a bonfire and another lantern door.

I've explored every screen on level 3 and both doors I've found require a lantern.

I don't get your problem. Just go back to Level 4 by going through the north shore that you can reach through level 2 and get your lantern, then keep going into 3 and open the doors there with the lantern :)

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get your problem. Just go back to Level 4 by going through the north shore that you can reach through level 2 and get your lantern, then keep going into 3 and open the doors there with the lantern :)
When I go to the door in the north shore it's closed and I have no way of opening it. I used the lantern to open it the first time. Now I don't have a lantern so I can't open it.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
If you've opened a door with the lantern, it stays open. You don't have to do it again. You must have went a different way?
No, I know it's the same door. I'm gonna try again when I get home and report back, but I know I already opened the door with the lantern and when I made it back the door was closed.

Fuck, this game is crazy, got me thinking about it too much, going back in my mind questioning what I thought I saw/did. Don't know what the hell to do next.

Game should be called "Despair"

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I died in the ice area with lantern and then couldn't open a door to catacombs. That must be the door you are at.

Oct 25, 2017
No, I know it's the same door. I'm gonna try again when I get home and report back, but I know I already opened the door with the lantern and when I made it back the door was closed.

Fuck, this game is crazy, got me thinking about it too much, going back in my mind questioning what I thought I saw/did. Don't know what the hell to do next.

Game should be called "Despair"

The only other explanation I can think of if it's not your own confusion is a bug. Definitely the way it should work and does normally is those doors stay open once you've opened them

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Bit late to the party on this, but finally started tonight. Managed to reach level 4 on my first session, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, but I wish it went into more detail explaining what each item is, or what it does. I can't figure out what half of my inventory is. I've eaten about six mushrooms and I swear I can't see what kind of effect they had on me, I assumed they'd fill up my hunger stat, but it didn't move.

The crafting system is baffling to me as well because it feels like random pot luck half the time whether or not I can craft something.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bit late to the party on this, but finally started tonight. Managed to reach level 4 on my first session, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, but I wish it went into more detail explaining what each item is, or what it does. I can't figure out what half of my inventory is. I've eaten about six mushrooms and I swear I can't see what kind of effect they had on me, I assumed they'd fill up my hunger stat, but it didn't move.

The crafting system is baffling to me as well because it feels like random pot luck half the time whether or not I can craft something.
Mushrooms are used to craft Elixirs. The effect depends on the colour of the mushroom. You'll need Bottled Water and other ingredients. You can craft these (and more dishes) at a Bonfire. Experiment and discover!

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Do torches not help you/keep you warm in cold areas? I lit one up and was holding onto it but it didn't stop me from croaking, :(

And yeah the hunger mechanic is kind iffy. Seems like I only go a screen or so and then starts warning me again. Of course I'm not at full tummy status so I wonder if the lower it is the faster it depletes.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it says PC/XBO in the OP

But I can't find it on the Windows Store. Should it be on there, and should it be free on GamePass? Or is it all XBO only right now?

Jan 2, 2018
Exclusive?
The game is having its "console debut" exclusively on Xbox One. Below will come to other platforms once that, unknown, window of exclusivity has passed. The PC release is not impacted by this.

I just was about to buy it on Steam...now I have to wait for a potential Switch version, it's just so convenient.

Edit: Thinking about it...I don't know how this game would look on the Switch in handheld mode, because of the size of the objects in the game.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really digging the game so far, but the X1 is in my bedroom where the TV's image quality isn't the best so I'm having a hard time seeing everything. Tempted to move it back to the living room just for this. Though I REALLY wish I was on Switch

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Finally made more progress after three days. Can't stop thinking about this game. Really looking forward to spent more time with it over Christmas :D
For the people that haven't bought it yet and are on the fence, it's really best to start without knowing much about the game and its systems. Slowly figuring out how everything works while playing pushs the feeling of wonder and discovery to another level.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
jumping in after this thread struck a chord. going in pretty blind, but I was sold at dark obtuse roguelike. I did preemptively grab my glasses and scoot my chair up real close to the tv.

EDIT: got to the fork where you can go to 4, or 5 and 6. I really thought I'd be able to re light campfires but so far see no way how, in which case I'm usually strapped for any way to save materials or cook. And since enemies aren't respawning, I guess I'm forced to die to grind?

Ah wait, made it back to
my blue fire, I assume this stays lit in your same life - still might have been screwed since I was out of orbs to make blue fires. Seems to discourage warping to your blue fire because it goes out afterwards.

Edit 2: this is just like a recap of my play now. Got all the way to level 10 before realizing there was a
spear in one of the shortcuts AND you can fish with it!?
. God damn, that would've made things easier.

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm no mention of a big update on Steam - I had a smaller one but no notes. Hopefully something fixes the bugged clouds / fog that happens occasionally.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sweet little game, looks and sounds nice, but it's probably not for me.
Searched level 2 two times now for any sort of exit and I guess I'm dying from starvation next.

If it wasn't for the survival aspect I might have some interest in continuing, even though I have no clue what to do. But this just feels totally unnecessary to me.
Well, I don't enjoy running through the empty caves anymore, so that's it. Have fun all.

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't play it anymore. I tried. I *want* to like it. Key design decisions like losing the lantern, 5-10 minute walks to your body (maybe more, I only made it to floor 17), and lack of direction ruined what could have been a good game. Done with my time in this thread, hope everyone else enjoys this more than I did.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Just make it back to your body? As soon as I see I'm probs gonna did (bleeding, hunger, etc) I just beeline for one of the lift rooms since they're usually shortcuts, and since they don't randomize.

I dunno maybe I got lucky but I'm on level 10 and have only died 3 times.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Somehow ended up going from floor 4 to floor 18...I think? I'm at the
catacombs looking area and destroying dudes who drop a shit ton of string.

How screwed am I by missing what seems like a giant portion of the game, lol.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi

Same thing happened to me.. can't be a bug.. but an actual level hop.
I died down there and then died multiple times trying to find my way back.
Then I deleted my save and started over haha

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Ive died 3 times but the red dot showing where you die is still stuck on my original death on level 2, am I missing something?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

Xbox floor numbers are bugged. Floor 18 is actually floor 5. You didn't skip anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.