• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to come back to this, but when I went to go and finally get my body back my lamp was just... gone?

Did I run into a game-breaking bug? Before anyone asks: I am 100% certain that the lamp was not near, or on the body, and that the game had marked that room as the location of the lamp / body.

edit: Oh, and to add insult to injury: I used 25 light to make the fire between the 16/17 floor a point I could return to: it let me do it once, and then I died again and now I can't access that anymore. Guess it only works once?

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Playing and the game crashes. My heart immediately drops into my stomach and I let out an audible sigh. I launch the game not knowing what to expect and I'm right where I left off!

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I played like an hour yesterday and got lvl 3 and I have beennwondering one thing. Does the game have any lore/story? When you get to the end, is it just game over and credits or will there actually be something? This is the only question atm that is hampering my enjoyment. Because if it is "just" this, I think im gonna have to ask for a refund.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely do not understand how anyone can enjoy that awful beginning. Probably the worst opening to a game I have ever experienced.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I see levels of 30+ here? Wow... how deep does this thing go. I am only wandering around on level 3. Has anybody finished it? Or maybe there is no ending :)

I have approached this game differenty last few sessions, I see it as a Spelunky type game. Makes more sense that way. But that being said, I think they need to patch in an easy mode without the survival difficulty. I think a lot of people would love to explore and discover the world without getting upset about running out of food/water (then again this has been the case in many Nethacks, I guess you can also see it as a very arty Nethack game).

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly the part I'm at, yeah. It takes me approximately 5 minutes to take the shortcut down to 22F,
then walk down the scaffolding, down more steps, rock climb down, fall into the diamond-shaped pool, cross the rock bridge, carefully move through 25F without getting murdered and then falling off the cliff past the campfire down to 26F where the real fun of recovering my Lantern begins. The tentacles will murder your shit and cause Bleeding, which burns through recovery items if you have them. Sure, I could go back to get the Dark Armor and Dark Helmet but I can lose that if I die. Plus, going back to get those items might take an hour or more. (I understand that unlocked/discovered armor and weapons can reappear at those Blue Geode-looking breakable rocks.) You can block the tentacles with your Shield (if you're facing the right direction) but that'd mean going in without a Torch equipped, which is really a big disadvantage when you're trying to avoid the spike traps here.

Your Lantern keeps the smaller enemies from swarming you and you can use it to burn and immobilize the tentacles so they can't attack you. This is why the Lantern is practically essential here. Without it the difficulty is immense.

One might tell me to grind for Gems before I do any of this but why should I do this when I might just die on my way to the Lantern and lose all of those Gems? I already go to the Northern Shore to pick up food and cook potions (and the little cave near where your boat lands when you respawn, to get bandages and the extra bottle) every time I die. This is tedious enough as-is.

Man, that really sucks.
I invested in the dark helm and armor, if I lose these this way -_-
It would add another step to every fresh life but I wonder if maybe returning the Lantern to it's original podium upon death would solve a lot of these issues for folks but keep the lore alive in a way that makes the devs happy. After all, the lantern is there in the first place, the idea that it returns to it's resting place waiting for the next adventurer to pick it up would make sense.

I see levels of 30+ here? Wow... how deep does this thing go. I am only wandering around on level 3. Has anybody finished it? Or maybe there is no ending :)

I'm not sure any of us here know yet! Have you found any of the lantern bits yet? If I had to guess, those are a good indicator to progress. There isn't a bit on *every* floor but feels like there's one for every solid piece of progression so roughly 20 areas? Each area having more than one floor though.

Since I haven't chimed in yet, I'll say I loved the intro. No complaints there.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can heal yourself with bandages as well. Should be able to craft them just fiddling around, I know I've accidently crafted like 3 of them.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really enjoying this, I'm now upto 4 bottles/jars stored and I'm making sure to collect them per character. Also have 3 bits collected and I've not gone below level 4 yet, the bits seem to be hidden around.

Found a
Crystal Skull
have decided to pop it in the pocket for now. I love just finding new things and doing runs to collect stuff, it pads out my inventory so I can create good items all round.

Will explore some more floors tomorrow.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but the color processing quality setting DESTROYS the image on PC. It absolutely crushes so much detail.

Setting it to low fixes the problem, but makes the image look a bit washed out, thankfully you can fix that by adjusting the brightness and contrast options. I found maxed out contrast and brightness -5 to be best.

If you can't change these options on console, I feel bad man. After messing around with the settings it feels like the processing option is actually broken, there is no way it should be crushing that much of the image into complete darkness. You're actually missing out on a lot of great artwork because of it.

Other than that, game is pretty fun, seems to be getting more interesting the deeper I get (currently on floor 9). I do wish/hope they dial back the "survival" aspects a bit, feel like hunger and thirst drop too fast.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Must admit I'm pretty disappointed with what I've played so far. Aesthetically the game is incredible but it just feels like it's missing that gameplay spark. Glad it's on Game Pass as I'd be feeling bummed out if I'd just forked out.

Oct 25, 2017
i think so, its the first area down from the elevator with the human looking zombie enemies that don't drop the little spark things

Okay, it works just like the steps on other floors. Somewhere on the same floor there's a key stone. Obviously the layout is procedural but this part felt handcrafted: look for an altar kind of thing the cannibal guys are praying around. It's inside there

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Must admit I'm pretty disappointed with what I've played so far. Aesthetically the game is incredible but it just feels like it's missing that gameplay spark. Glad it's on Game Pass as I'd be feeling bummed out if I'd just forked out.
Yeah, I will propably do a refund when I get home. The gameplay is ok, graphics are great, but it really requires something more. The apparent lack of any story or "end game revalations" really makes me think its not worth it to go through like.m 30 lvls (?) of this.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Played for roughly 5 hours over the weekend, wish I would have more time for the game but next weeks starts my holidays and I'll dig deeper.
I absolutely love the game for its atmosphere, music and gameplay loop. While I understand the complaints ( survival meter goes down too fast, reaching your lamp and loosing everything after dying a second time etc.) I can't stop playing and thinking about this game. I try to stay spoiler free and this is the best way to play imo.

Ronnie

Alt-Account
Oct 31, 2018
So what's the consensus on this game? Getting the sense that it's too frustratingly difficult without much of a pay off?

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the consensus on this game? Getting the sense that it's too frustratingly difficult without much of a pay off?

I simultaneously think it's very awesome and find myself thinking about it quite a lot between sessions, and also feel like there's maybe one system too many at play . I think maybe just returning the lamp to it's pedestal would go a long way, but there's a bunch of ways they could go about it.

It's very special, and also a very acquired taste. Game pass was a real good call for this game.

Ronnie

Alt-Account
Oct 31, 2018
I simultaneously think it's very awesome and find myself thinking about it quite a lot between sessions, and also feel like there's maybe one system too many at play . I think maybe just returning the lamp to it's pedestal would go a long way, but there's a bunch of ways they could go about it.

It's very special, and also a very acquired taste. Game pass was a real good call for this game.

I'm getting Hollow Knight vibes from this, a game I absolutely adore and thought about constantly but one where a few quality of life fixes would have gone a long way.

I wonder if the devs will patch a few changes to make things a bit less frustrating.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Need some advice guys.

I've been playing a few hours and slowly learning and just learnt a lot by reading this forum. (Super cool the developer is here reading as well - love the game !)

I lost my spear and lantern god knows how many deaths ago and realise that I have to go find it.

I've read that the map helps you but my question is: do all your bodies stick around until you find them or does the latest death overwrite the death before that I.e do I need to go find the spear in its original place but the lantern stays where I died ?

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
What a flawed gem of a game this is. I love it because you can feel the intentions of the design team and the personality of any given single developer.

The survival systems give the game this undertone of stress the whole time and the fact that you're descending deeper, slowly running out of food/heat and lantern pellets makes this game feel so engaging. There's an element of Sisyphean torture to it but you keep going because the game eeks out its mysteries a little at a time, giving you a slither of reward before OHKOing you back to your little boat.

Not for everyone. Nowhere near perfect but essential, nonetheless.

Nov 3, 2017
I've read that the map helps you but my question is: do all your bodies stick around until you find them or does the latest death overwrite the death before that I.e do I need to go find the spear in its original place but the lantern stays where I died ?

As far as i know all your bodies are left, i've seen a couple of mine in later runs. The Spear is mostly on the body that had it when it died and sometimes it goes back to the original location, i've no idea why.

I played Book of Demons last night but i'm sat here in work and all i'm thinking about is another corpse run in Below tonight. I'm really enjoying the sense of experimentation and discovery it brings in between starving to death.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
What a flawed gem of a game this is. I love it because you can feel the intentions of the design team and the personality of any given single developer.

The survival systems give the game this undertone of stress the whole time and the fact that you're descending deeper, slowly running out of food/heat and lantern pellets makes this game feel so engaging. There's an element of Sisyphean torture to it but you keep going because the game eeks out its mysteries a little at a time, giving you a slither of reward before OHKOing you back to your little boat.

Not for everyone. Nowhere near perfect but essential, nonetheless.
Hi, if you have completed the game, are there any "revelations" in the end? Or anything like thay during the? The game is mysterious but im afraid that if there is absolutely no other pay off than the credits I cant complete it.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Hi, if you have completed the game, are there any "revelations" in the end? Or anything like thay during the? The game is mysterious but im afraid that if there is absolutely no other pay off than the credits I cant complete it.

I have not yet completed it. I'm enjoying the environmental and gameplay based mysteries. The way that the game keeps the unexpected an option at all times.

I would like an answer to "What is going on?", even if it's open to interpretation (a la Inside).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cant believe some people dont like the intro. Its like a couple of minutes and really sets the tone and how it slowly zooms in. I love it.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cant believe some people dont like the intro. Its like a couple of minutes and really sets the tone and how it slowly zooms in. I love it.

Totally agree. I had the lights out, curtains were shut and my headphones on and it really did set the tone, music rippling then roaring with the waves and storm, it was awesome.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
I genuinely do not understand how anyone can enjoy that awful beginning. Probably the worst opening to a game I have ever experienced.

I genuinely enjoyed the beginning. Probably one of the best openings to a game I have ever experienced. I have been looking forward to this ever since Cappy announced this and I saw Jim Guthrie was doing the music. TBH, I waited 5 years to play this, another 2 minutes in the beginning only added onto the hype.

The "sea of stars" becoming the actual ocean.

So good.

So so good.

Totally agree. I had the lights out, curtains were shut and my headphones on and it really did set the tone, music rippling then roaring with the waves and storm, it was awesome.

Same. Makes you feel so small which the rest of the game does a great job at.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Playing with headphones I have to say this game has some great audio and audio queues.

I IMMEDIATELY raised my shield when the audio queue came on for my stomach getting low, really did think I was about to meet a hefty boss or something, just turned out I needed to eat a turnip.

You can hear snakes hissing in the ground, animals running around in the dark, wind blowing from an exit and so much more, it all adds to the atmosphere. The sound team have done a great job on this.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
i get not thinking its special. but the posts like its the worst thing ever and put them off the game entirely?? skip it dudes

Add me to the group that thought it was really neat, and loved how it set the tone - but I did also start pressing buttons at a certain point thiniking maybe it wasn't just a cinematic. So I can understand how people thought it was too long, it just didn't bother me.

Nov 3, 2017
Right, i'll connect up some headphones tonight then. My 5.1 setup has been fine but yeah, i wanna try headphones later.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
Is there any way to recover the lantern you lost besides getting it back by yourself? As if not I don't know if I can keep on going. Maybe there is a way to pay for it?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'm glad that some of you guys are enjoying this game. I'm not a fan at all.

Calling the intro one of the best ever...good lord.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to recover the lantern you lost besides getting it back by yourself? As if not I don't know if I can keep on going. Maybe there is a way to pay for it?

Nah you have to retrieve it. There's one location specific exception I've came across so far but rule of thumb, you're going back for everything.

Oct 25, 2017
I sat down and managed to blast through floors 20 to 23 (?) I got to the next shortcut to the surface and I can
ascend to the top of the tower where my bits are recognised in the sky
. The level of speed and aggression I was playing with will probably bite me in the ass eventually lol but it worked this time. Really nice set piece at the end, the moments the game chooses to go *big* are really exciting. I've began to be
hunted
on and off again so I guess I'm nearly at the make or break part.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
OK, so I died on Floor 5. I spent 25 minutes getting back to my body from floor 2, and it was here:

adoTlFY.png

It took me long enough to find it - it's behind that pillar, but I can't see the lantern anywhere. I've run around the whole room spamming E but....nothing. What do I do?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh for folks who have made it to level 19/
the second shop, the Dark Helm seems like it significantly reduced my damage taken
. Definitely worth 80 crystals.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point with my experience of this game, I think I am for sure done. I hope Capy takes the criticisms seriously and re-balances the lantern mechanics, because there is a fun game under all this shit, but I don't have the time to unearth it.

TheSonofBM

May 19, 2018
Tried to come back to this, but when I went to go and finally get my body back my lamp was just... gone?

Did I run into a game-breaking bug? Before anyone asks: I am 100% certain that the lamp was not near, or on the body, and that the game had marked that room as the location of the lamp / body.

edit: Oh, and to add insult to injury: I used 25 light to make the fire between the 16/17 floor a point I could return to: it let me do it once, and then I died again and now I can't access that anymore. Guess it only works once?

Just to be clear, your lantern isn't necessarily next to your body. When you pull up the map on the floor you died, the room with red dot in it is where your body is. The room with your lantern is in will have a white dot in it. The room with your lantern I don't think will show up on your map until you're actually in that room.
I wasn't exactly sure if you knew that based on how your post was worded.

Status
Not open for further replies.