• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I've been playing pretty slow and methodical so far and really enjoying it. I find it to be really meditative.

I've made it down as far as level 7 and so far my only complaints are

1. Game gets pretty stingy with food below level 4 and i feel like my time to death is a lot quicker cause while i have the shortcut unlocked on level 6, i'm not equipped enough

2. Game also gets stingy with crystals. Same issue as above.

sorry for the double post, era is goofin up on me rn

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't figure out how to get past the second floor. I used the floor key but it seemed to take me to a dead end with a bonfire.

Any tips?

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
How do I destroy these things?

aoJcjSn.jpg

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
I finished level 2 and am complete stuck :/ I was trying to play this without any help but I seriously have no idea where to go

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I think that progression is poorly designed for level 2. The problem with it is that in order to progress, you have to use the lantern in different way than was originally introduced

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing pretty slow and methodical so far and really enjoying it. I find it to be really meditative.

I've made it down as far as level 7 and so far my only complaints are

Did you go linearly from level 4 to 5 to 6 to 7?

I must be missing something on my level 4 layout lol. I can only find the exit that sends you to level 18 or the elevator to the crazy stuff with the first light.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting killed by spike traps that are almost impossible to see (occluded by pillars, for example) is really getting on my nerves. There are cases where you want to preserve Gems (say, when you run out down as deep as 21F and come back up to 2F to farm more) so I don't think the Lantern should be an acceptable defense here. They really shouldn't be placed behind pillars. It'd be awesome if there was a procgen rule to prevent this case.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I just wanna say that the intro is beautiful, terrifying, and mesmerizing. Sure, it's slow, but that's the point.

Question: how do I take gems out of storage? "Take" has the same button (E) as "store" and its' greyed out.

Last edited:

Cromulent Word

Co-founder @ Capy
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Getting killed by spike traps that are almost impossible to see (occluded by pillars, for example) is really getting on my nerves.... It'd be awesome if there was a procgen rule to prevent this case.
We hear you. We have some rules to try and eek down chances of it ever happening, but sometimes random does what random does. No excuse, as it's totally a cheap shot, just letting you know that we put time into it, and we'll def be putting in some more.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna say that the intro is beautiful, terrifying, and mesmerizing. Sure, it's slow, but that's the point.

Question: how do I take gems out of storage? "Take" has the same button (E) as "store" and its' greyed out.
On XB1 you have to flip between Store and Take (look at the arrow's direction) manually by using LB/RB. It's not indicated on screen at all. My guess is that whatever you use to flip between your player inventory tabs on PC will do this for you when trying to store/take Gems from your stash. Hope it helps!

We hear you. We have some rules to try and eek down chances of it ever happening, but sometimes random does what random does. No excuse, as it's totally a cheap shot, just letting you know that we put time into it, and we'll def be putting in some more.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know it's on your radar. Still having fun exploring over here. 👍

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got down to 5F (but this time on the way down from 20/21F), lost my Lantern again (and died a bunch of times trying to retrieve it), and uhh yeah this is getting to be my breaking point. This is harder than Bloodborne, harder than any Dark Souls. (I've finished all of those.) But holy shit when you lose your Lantern where I'm at in the game now? I've never felt this hopeless because you absolutely need the Lantern where I'm at now. I think I'm gonna step away for a while. I'm kind of hoping that things might be adjusted in an update or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Got down to 5F (but this time on the way down from 20/21F), lost my Lantern again (and died a bunch of times trying to retrieve it), and uhh yeah this is getting to be my breaking point. This is harder than Bloodborne, harder than any Dark Souls. (I've finished all of those.) But holy shit when you lose your Lantern where I'm at in the game now? I've never felt this hopeless because you absolutely need the Lantern where I'm at now. I think I'm gonna step away for a while. I'm kind of hoping that things might be adjusted in an update or something.

I'm not as far as you, but I stopped playing around 16th floor. Just got old having to walk back to my body for the third time to die a few feet past where I was considering the walk back to my body took what felt like 10 minutes.

Just kind of sick of developers thinking this kind of stuff is fun because Dark Souls does it. It ruined Ashen for me by the end -- a game I barely had the patience to finish -- and it's now ruining Below, a game that just doesn't need the frustration to be good, but actually makes itself actively worse in devotion to it.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are the levels randomly generated? or are they the same every run? I don't have patience for procedurally generated layouts these days.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017

This is ultimately my same concern. I keep pushing on and I'll have a good time, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about how this is still the early game. If it seems like this much of a grind now - how bad is it going go get?

But then I have a session like tonight - finally recovered my lamp, unlocked a new shortcut, and going back through the earlier floors to see what I might have missed. And it has been great! But I'm dreading pushing on into harder territory because it just seems unfair

Funtownarcade

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The first time user experience after the really boring opening is slowly walking around a PNG trying to find where the invisible bounds end, and the soundtrack literally one-note, I don't think casually interested game pass players will get far. There is a surprising amount of "we agree, we will fix that" comments for a game that has been in development for five years. Sword & Sworcery really blew me away, this is unfortunately Below my expectations.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Played 3 hours... finally died on the 7th floor to one of those assassin type enemies. Fortunately I unlocked a shortcut just before that. Man, this game is good.

Greyvvolf

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So I'm stuck on the floor here.
This is what my map shows on level 2. The image where I'm stuck is at the very bottom right section.
88KtEQ7.jpg

When I go to the very bottom right section of the map on level 2 I get to this area below. I shine my lantern and nothing happens. Tried a bomb and fire arrow as well.
OIpXFi6.jpg

Anyone else stuck here? I am out of those shards to light up anything. I did try to light up that section at the top but nothing happened.

Edit 2: Okay, this is frustrating. I've been checking all the rooms and haven't found any other place to go. I'm out of everything and only can use food and water soon.

Last edited:

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I died twice, looted my second guy and recovered the lantern from my first guy. But I didn't get my spear back. Do I have to find it again?

Last edited:

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Relax (easy) mode when? :) I'm sitting here and can not decide to buy it or not. The game looks beautiful and all, but the combination of roguelike + hunger/cold mechanics + one shot traps would kill any fun for me. :( So what should i do?

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
This is what my map shows on level 2. The image where I'm stuck is at the very bottom right section.
88KtEQ7.jpg

When I go to the very bottom right section of the map on level 2 I get to this area below. I shine my lantern and nothing happens. Tried a bomb and fire arrow as well.
OIpXFi6.jpg

Anyone else stuck here? I am out of those shards to light up anything. I did try to light up that section at the top but nothing happened.

Edit 2: Okay, this is frustrating. I've been checking all the rooms and haven't found any other place to go. I'm out of everything and only can use food and water soon.

is that the room that is a dead end blocked by a pillar? If so try shining your lantern on the pillar. Hold LB.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Jesus that intro is fucking long. Was gonna just turn the game off.
It is fairly long yes, but I really liked it. You probably could have gotten the same effect in half the time, but I thought it was a nice slow build up to soak in the atmosphere and the scale of the world.

They really wanted to push the feeling of isolation.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Question on the sleep room:

It upgrades and adds new visual flair etc when you get new Bits for your lantern?

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I give up. Can someone please tell me where the hell I'm supposed to go after finishing level 2 and getting to the back beach area?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely lost.

Cleared 2F and can't see a way to get to 3F. Even found the shortcut that
leads outside via the elevator
, but I can't work out how to get to the next floor.

Found a door which needed my lantern to open again, went downstairs and found a camp fire but there doesn't seem to be a way to proceed past that point. Very lost and confused.

Oct 25, 2017
I think my time with the game might be wrapping up. I just find the survival parts a little exhausting for my tastes, while I absolutely love the exploration and wonder of it. If they were to launch a *story mode* or something where you could respawn at your last campfire and worry less about keeping your hunger bar etc up over multiple floors, I would definitely play that. I still think it would be a very engaging challenging game moment to moment like that. I really like the loop of exploring floors and even re exploring upon death and the stiff challenge from the environment. Going all the way back to the beach with none of my stuff is just extra time I can only devote to a point.

That said, I think the team made something really interesting and special and I applaud them for sticking to their vision. There are going to be folks who discover this game and love exactly what it is for years I think.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I think my time with the game might be wrapping up. I just find the survival parts a little exhausting for my tastes, while I absolutely love the exploration and wonder of it. If they were to launch a *story mode* or something where you could respawn at your last campfire and worry less about keeping your hunger bar etc up over multiple floors, I would definitely play that. I still think it would be a very engaging challenging game moment to moment like that. I really like the loop of exploring floors and even re exploring upon death and the stiff challenge from the environment. Going all the way back to the beach with none of my stuff is just extra time I can only devote to a point.

That said, I think the team made something really interesting and special and I applaud them for sticking to their vision. There are going to be folks who discover this game and love exactly what it is for years I think.

I kinda feel the same. I love the game so far, but the survival stuff makes me feel like I'm constantly on a timer and it's not fun to die of starvation (Kinda feel like there's not a lot of food placed in the areas) and then have to play another 15 minutes or so to get my corpse back. And a few times I died during loot retrieval, at which point I'm usually stopping my playthrough. I do think adding more modes on top that'd let people explore more would actually be a good addition. Keep the current mode as 'Original Mode' or something and add another mode that let's people who wanna explore without a timer do just that.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really, really want to like this game, but I think I hate it.

I think I'll stick to Ashen to for all my dark dungeon crawling needs.

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I'm there with my torch but nothing happens and hitting LB does nothing. Attacking also doesn't do anything. How do I burn that stuff with the torch?

It should be the shield button!

And yea, I totally agree with your response re: game modes. I appreciate if that just isn't within the dev's vision but I really would love to see the whole game at some point down the line.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So umm, I found a spear, I can equip it on my back in the inventory, but how do I actually use it? It can't be assigned to quick slots (the option is there, but it's greyed out) and attacking with the spear "equipped" still does a sword attack.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So umm, I found a spear, I can equip it on my back in the inventory, but how do I actually use it? It can't be assigned to quick slots (the option is there, but it's greyed out) and attacking with the spear "equipped" still does a sword attack.

The spear its a weapon, you have to switch to it (With X, Square). You can also
Fish with it

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
88KtEQ7.jpg

OIpXFi6.jpg

that bottom picture, with the diamond shape in it, you are approaching it from the wrong side. walk around the rock structure and approach from the top. its not a door, but instead stairs.

dont feel dumb, i did the same thing. very visually confusing in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.