• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is so weird.

I don't have fun playing a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 because of how deliberate and slow it is, but am absolutely loving this and its by in large kind of the same thing. Not aesthetically of course, but in how deliberate and slow both games are.

Last edited:

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I am confused. Is this game really a roguelike? Some are talking about exploration and getting back to where they died, like if it were a soulslike game. And places that are the same for everyone, I thought this was a procedural game. Can someone explain the basic flow including deaths and what happens and what exactly is randomized?

Will this run properly on a Core 2 Duo and a 7770? Steam says minimum i3 and DX11...

Yes, it is roguelike. When you die that character is dead and you start back at the beginning with a new character. You will need to retrieve your items (e.g. lantern) from the corpse.

The world... Think of the world more like a building where the rooms are handcrafted pieces and the hallways that link the rooms together are procedurally generated.

And no clue about your system specs. I'm playing on a Xbox One X.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Is the game totally arbitrary over what persists or am I'm facing a bug?

First try I get "fuel" for the lamp on the field on the left before entering the cave. LB works to light it.

I make it into a bonfire and can spent lots of fuel to apparently fast travel to there so I do it. Right away there was a trap so I die on it to figure out how death works.

Then the lamp no longer works even with lots of fuel. The bonfire in the beginning still asks for 25 fuels to I don't even know what that simbol is if it's not fast travel.

I also had some rope traps that I could cut on the first run, but later I can't cut any of them.

I'm deleting my save to try again because that's I refuse to believe the game was supposed to work like that XD

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017

First try I get "fuel" for the lamp on the field on the left before entering the cave. LB works to light it.

I make it into a bonfire and can spent lots of fuel to apparently fast travel to there so I do it. Right away there was a trap so I die on it to figure out how death works.

Then the lamp no longer works even with lots of fuel. The bonfire in the beginning still asks for 25 fuels to I don't even know what that simbol is if it's not fast travel.

I also had some rope traps that I could cut on the first run, but later I can't cut any of them.

I'm deleting my save to try again because that's I refuse to believe the game was supposed to work like that XD
You have to pick up the lantern from the corpse

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

When you die, you lose the lantern. You have to go get it from your body.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed my first hour or two with it. We'll see how the next few hours go. Gave me a really bad first impression, but slowly grew on me as I learned more and more about how the game and its systems worked. I am not a fan of survival, crafting, and Souls elements where they seem to over-complicate things, and this feels like it might be one of those cases. It hasn't gotten to the point where it's truly frustrated or annoyed me, but the fact that they're raising my eyebrow already worries me.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it strange that the three times I retrieved my body the path was exactly the same. I didn't expect to be this bored by this game. Nothing feels different at all from run to run. Except I found a ton of stuff on my initial run and like nothing on the next two.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
But I got to the corpse, retrieved everything and there was still no lantern
It's a seperate pick up. It's not in the inventory of the body, but a separate item on the ground for you to reclaim.

The one time I died due to a trap the lamp was kind of hidden behind the trap making it hard to see. I basically just had to walk in a circle around my body tapping A to pick it up. Also, if you die with the lamp - then die going back to get the lamp - you have to make it back to your original body where you last had the lamp. Frustratingly, the location of your body is marked on the rudimentary map, but not the lamp. Just the floor seems to be indicated.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ive been dying to play this more all day. really into it so far (though, tbh, have yet to die and do the whole forced retracing of foot steps thing)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Starting to get the hang of it a bit more...level 4 to 15 spoilers:
figured out on level 4 you get warm by lighting the various stone columns dotted across the level, which made it a breeze to get through. Didn't even bother trying to take on most enemies, just dashed my way through the big clusters. On 15ish now with the lantern geometry puzzles and enemies, seems like a nice challenge and nothing too strenuous so far, though irritated I'm still dealing with a minor chill affecting my character's temperature meter

Persistence is certainly paying off, environmental awareness really is the name of the game with this title. Also as a general tip for others don't forget to dash/evade with RB/R1, its so helpful for getting through areas with larger mobs when you've got things like temperature damage to worry about.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I think my game glitched?

played a bit this morning, found north beach key and quit.

Started this afternoon and my north key is missing. Its not on the beach either.

Found a door marked with the earlier key in my possesion, but cant seem to open it. Found a light shard or something on the beach too, and a door above that i cant open. Finally, theres a door blocked by thorns i also cant pass. Tried burning and cutting.

Stuck, need help, feel like game may be glitched (missing key)

Cromulent Word

Co-founder @ Capy
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Hey folks - been super quiet cause I was... launching this game.

Few notes:

• I'm reading this whole thread, but I can't help w/ bug reports / potential issues if you don't tell me the platform!
• Lotsa Game Pass subs here! Awesome!
• We're aware of a crash bug that's 100% on a small number of people's machines. We've been crunching like crazy to resolve it and are doing everything we can.
• If you have that bug, you can request a refund on Steam, no hard feelings. We will fix it, and soon, but we can't give an ETA. If you do request a refund, just keep an eye on the Steam forums / twitter and we'll update when its fixed... maybe you can come back
• It's ok if you don't love it, no hard feelings
• That said, I hope you love it. Haha.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

Few notes:

• I'm reading this whole thread, but I can't help w/ bug reports / potential issues if you don't tell me the platform!
• We're aware of a crash bug that's 100% on a small number of people's machines. We've been crunching like crazy to resolve it and are doing everything we can.
• If you have that bug, you can request a refund on Steam, no hard feelings. We will fix it, and soon, but we can't give an ETA. If you do request a refund, just keep an eye on the Steam forums / twitter and we'll update when its fixed... maybe you can come back
Early in the game, x1, lost north beach key on reload?

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
How does the bonfire warping mechanic work?
If you activate a bonfire to be blue, can you always warp back to it, or is it one time consumable warp?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Put me in the "not for me" camp. Played about an hour, the repetition is just too aggravating for me and I'm not patient enough for it. Love the art style and music though.

Oct 31, 2017
Trying to read the thread to get a grasp of this and understand if it's something actually enjoyable or just pretty to look at...
Well, to be honest I still really can't tell if you people are enjoying it or not and to what degree.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the bonfire warping mechanic work?
If you activate a bonfire to be blue, can you always warp back to it, or is it one time consumable warp?
In my experience so far, you can only have one Blue Bonfire at a time. Once you warp to it, you wake up at it and it's burnt out. (I think but cannot remember exactly.)

Don't quote me on this but I think Blue Bonfires persist even if you die. The next adventurer that arrives can use one that was lit by a dead adventurer.

If any of this is wrong, I happily welcome corrections. We're all still figuring this out, right? 😎

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Trying to read the thread to get a grasp of this and understand if it's something actually enjoyable or just pretty to look at...
Well, to be honest I still really can't tell if you people are enjoying it or not and to what degree.
Lol that's exactly my impression with the thread so far. I've been skimming from the 4th page but I still couldn't tell if it's gonna be a good purchase for me or not.

But I've actually bought it on Steam. I won't be able to play it nowadays as I'm still busy with Hitman 2, I'll wait for more reviews and impressions. If it really is bad I'll just refund it.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the first time after deleting the save I starved to death, and managed to get back at my body and now I got the lamp back.

But what happens if you die twice before getting to the body? You lose the lamp forever?
I've died 3 or 4 times since losing the Lantern and I think it's still on 4F where I dropped it (if the Map UI is telling the truth) but I'm having real difficulties finding it... hence the numerous deaths trying to recover it.

Cromulent Word

Co-founder @ Capy
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
I've died 3 or 4 times since losing the Lantern and I think it's still on 4F where I dropped it (if the Map UI is telling the truth) but I'm having real difficulties finding it... hence the numerous deaths trying to recover it.
Your map will guide you.

And it will always end up on the same floor, in the same area (exact or general depending on how much the proc gen hates you)

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your map will guide you.

And it will always end up on the same floor, in the same area (exact or general depending on how much the proc gen hates you)
Bless you for this. Was there ever any discussion to keep the same seed for the floor the player dies on, only in the cases where the Lantern was dropped? A good magician doesn't reveal their secrets but I'm curious about this, I won't lie.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This one is strannnnge. We'll look into it.

Edit: can you email [email protected] with any screens / photos of what door you're trying to open / what you have in your inventory / etc?

I know you guys must be hard at fixing stuff and everything, but I just wanted you guys to know that in my 20 years of gaming this is one of the best games I have ever played.

Its video games distilled. Reminds me of being a child having to figure out stuff and having a couple of "aha!" moments. It even has some of those "Nintendo hard" moments where I die and proclaiming "bullshit!" but end up laughing because I know its totally my fault. Playing on a friends Xbox, but will get for Steam for myself in a few days when bills aren't so fucked.

You guys made a masterpiece. Its marvelous.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm liking it. Seems exactly what I thought it would be. Accidently warped myself to a prior bonfire. Looks like trial by error is going to be a big learning part haha.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This one is strannnnge. We'll look into it.

Edit: can you email [email protected] with any screens / photos of what door you're trying to open / what you have in your inventory / etc?
Just saw the edit, but honestly not sure what screens would suffice. That missing item, im not even sure where it should be used. While i feel stuck, it absolutely may not, at least at this point, be due to the missing key.

will add as much detail to this post as i'm able momentarily

first run through of the game, roughly 45 min in and i came to the north beach area from -2-. i immediately went to the right, found what i believe was called the "north beach key" of by some debris/structure. explored the little alcove area in the rocks near the beach where the music changed (and i later discovered held a light shard or something), explored just above that area into the sea where there is a sealed door, explored the rest of the beach to the left, lit the campfire and discovered the elevator thing, then returned back into the -2- underground between a few screens before powering down. my inventory definitely showed two keys, the 2nd being the aforementioned "north beach key".

restarting this afternoon and i restarted somewhere within -2- but discovered my inventory now only has one key, which iirc opened up the staircase from -1- down to -2-.

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I find it strange that the three times I retrieved my body the path was exactly the same. I didn't expect to be this bored by this game. Nothing feels different at all from run to run. Except I found a ton of stuff on my initial run and like nothing on the next two.
The path is always the same on each floor as far as I know. The rooms themselves are randomly generated.

On the first time after deleting the save I starved to death, and managed to get back at my body and now I got the lamp back.

But what happens if you die twice before getting to the body? You lose the lamp forever?
I'd imagine nothing changes. Starting a new run is just a new adventurer arriving on the island. The previous adventurer is still down where they died with all their stuff.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
downloaded via Game Pass before going to work, $25 seems a bit steep so I'm glad I have Game Pass

I'll likely buy it during a sale in the future to support Capy though

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit. I just learned 2 things.

You can cauterize open wounds to cure yourself of the Bleeding state. Go to a fire source in the world and look out for the prompt to interact. Tested this with the brazier-style fires and not a proper Bonfire.

Your dead body will show up as a tiny red diamond on the Map UI once you're on the correct floor. It shows the general direction you should head in.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Few notes:

Congrats on launching the game. I'm loving it so far. I'm starting to feel the same sense of dread of walking into a new area like in the resident evil games. The intro was dope too.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what to do in level 2. I unlocked a shortcut to the top of the mountain from the beach area, found a leather top(that disappeared when I loaded up again). Looks like there's a door of some kind on the upper right of the beach area, but doesn't open. All the campfires are out and no enemies spawn to make light =/

Cromulent Word

Co-founder @ Capy
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
When in doubt, you're always meant to be going downwards. If you haven't found a staircase level leading down... you haven't found the path.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the edit, but honestly not sure what screens would suffice. That missing item, im not even sure where it should be used. While i feel stuck, it absolutely may not, at least at this point, be due to the missing key.

will add as much detail to this post as i'm able momentarily

first run through of the game, roughly 45 min in and i came to the north beach area from -2-. i immediately went to the right, found what i believe was called the "north beach key" of by some debris/structure. explored the little alcove area in the rocks near the beach where the music changed (and i later discovered held a light shard or something), explored just above that area into the sea where there is a sealed door, explored the rest of the beach to the left, lit the campfire and discovered the elevator thing, then returned back into the -2- underground between a few screens before powering down. my inventory definitely showed two keys, the 2nd being the aforementioned "north beach key".

restarting this afternoon and i restarted somewhere within -2- but discovered my inventory now only has one key, which iirc opened up the staircase from -1- down to -2-.
Maybe this is what I'm running into. I remember finding that, but I don't have that nor the leather suit piece I found in the ship graveyard in my inventory after reloading

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Okay,after reading this thread and starting over the regular way,by dying lol,I am starting to understand a few things but still pretty confused...when you pull the map,what is the meter on top with the flashing red dot...? clues on your survival state...? the other map,I am guessing the dotted lines are paths I cant reach yet or just plain missed...? also I have found a shortcut for when I die at least but right now,I am going in a complete circle again,guess I will use that shortcut,which I thought was a target bullseye at first lol,to try and keep going down...the elastic rope on 2 sticks I thought was a clue to something turned out to be a trap...so yeah,still quite confused ;)

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Made a few leve jumps down to 19. I am going in circles and have no idea how to find the key. I ran out of lantern stones, am I probably missing something I need to illuminate?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is what I'm running into. I remember finding that, but I don't have that nor the leather suit piece I found in the ship graveyard in my inventory after reloading

so i just figured out how to progress at least. one of the "doors" was not what i thought it was and i just needed to approach from a different side. still unsure if i've lost the north beach key or what, but for the time being i'm moving forward.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
so i just figured out how to progress at least. one of the "doors" was not what i thought it was and i just needed to approach from a different side. still unsure if i've lost the north beach key or what, but for the time being i'm moving forward.
I had to hunt around online. Found out it had to do with "the pocket" area that required the lantern. I had no idea you could something to make a pathway. Of course there was no way of knowing as I had no lantern light because enemies quit spawning. Had no way to kill myself that I could figure out(all traps were triggered) and had to wait around to die of hunger lol

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I ran out of lantern stones, am I probably missing something I need to illuminate?

This was my thought earlier. I've not yet run into this but I literally had 1 stone left when I figured out how to open the level 3 door way. Not sure what I would have done if I'd have ran out of stones as everything was already dead.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played for a little over an hour, haven't died yet. Honestly it is very engrossing, I love the atmosphere and the game really sucks you in. Combat is pretty simple, as are the survival elements, but I like having to manage your lantern light and slowly progress to avoid traps. I could see the game feeling a little too simple unless it adds some more variety soon, but overall it's an enjoyable experience.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just crashed in The Pocket.

Floor 19 is current location (outside The Pocket) and I traveled from a Blue Bonfire on 19F.
XB1X (1080P monitor via HDMI)
Woody Marble x1 Upgrade
8x Item storage was full (various arrows stacks, caltrops, weave, bandage+ stack)

Was attempting to remove a mushroom from the full (4x) shelving in lower left (had space in player inventory) when I hardlocked.

Booted to dash but after restarting Below and hitting Continue from the Main Menu I seem to be back without issue. Had to do the same inventory management stuff again but luckily I can't repro the crash this time.

Got to 19F after recovering the Lantern from 4F and things took another twist. It's wild to me because I saw some of the tileset work many, many years ago and to see and play it in game now is really cool. The music down here rules.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well I'm stuck. Im swimming up by the ships and have no idea what to do next. I've explored every level so far and I'm out of ideas. My last dude died from starvation after not finding a way farther down. Any ideas?

Edit: found the pocket by mashing buttons in frustration lol. I think this is progress?

Last edited:

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I love this game. So much. I was supposed to go out tonight, but got a little too into Below and this bottle of high west bourbon. I'll be lucky if I can make it to the kitchen for some food lol

is it worth getting an xbox for this

I don't know if any console purchase is worth it for one game. But if it means anything I love my Xbox One X and Below is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.