• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ok what am I missing...? I cant even figure out to get into the cave, there is a broken bridge and I cant do anything with it...?

Find the lantern to the left/middle of the island? You have to go straight up from where the boat landed to climb some rocks and reach the main plateau.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had to use that US/NA Microsoft web store link but I've got it installing on my XB1 here, in Canada. I fully expect that I won't be able to play until 1201AM though.

EDIT: or I'm playing right now? It's 1010 PM in Toronto right now ayyy

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe it's actually here. So freakin' hyped to play and listen to the beautiful score.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Was running around looking for any possible secrets on the third floor and ran into a spike trap

šŸ˜ 

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Was just looking to play a bit tonight to get a taste. That opening scene is fantastic; the soundtrack got me hooked.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a spear try holding the attack button in
shallow water that has fish in it.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gonna dig into this over the weekend. I'd be playing tonight but I wanna give GRIS a go. I did pick up the Jim Guthrie soundtrack over on Bandcamp so I'll be listening to that while working tomorrow.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can't seem to get it to download to my xbox using the link. Might have to just wait till tomorrow...

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody wanna share some of their crafting discoveries? Spoilered of course so not to ruin those that want to discover everything themselves. Only one I've figured out so far is the torch, which is obviously quite useful when you don't have the lantern.

one ember, one rope, one stick

Also anyone want to share any shortcuts they've discovered too lol...this game totally gives me anxiety the deeper I go which I get it is part of the draw...only one I've found that others have probably discovered too is...
behind the waterfall at the beginning area of the island is a drawbridge. go into the small cave entrance that's behind the first (or second) firepit once inside the dungeon proper. First area has an item pickup that randomizes between a leather tunic and a spear, the next area you're on side of the drawbridge, attack the wooden posts and the drawbridge will fall, voila new lives you can access this shortcut.

Soundtrack is SOOO good...loving the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Andddddd I just ended up playing this for the last 4 hours. It's so good. The atmosphere really is incredible. The soundtrack, like others have said, is damn good as well. I absolutely love this so far. Discovering things is giving me a similar feeling of when I discovered new things in The Witness.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Also anyone want to share any shortcuts they've discovered too lol...this game totally gives me anxiety the deeper I go which I get it is part of the draw...only one I've found that others have probably discovered too is...

For the second floor:

There's an elevator you can unlock that lowers you to the safe zone on the second level. There a key when you get to the beach on the right side and you open it up on the left side. The elevator itself is at the top left of the starting Hill

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a few hours. Like it a lot so far but my biggest concern is (by the very nature of it being a roguelite) how repetitive the areas are once you die and have to trek through them again. You'll be opening up lots of shortcuts and there are some interesting implementations of fast travel here -- one that comes at a cost and is not available at all times. I'll leave the discovery of this up to you because I don't want to spoil it.

The game gets interesting on the 4th floor and lower since
you quickly learn that the middle icon under the health gauge is your body temperature (and how close you are to beginning to freeze to death).

My main gripe right now is that, since I've died holding
the Lantern, the Map UI only tells you the floor that the Lantern is on but not necessarily how to navigate in the direction of the room it's currently contained in.
I really feel that Capy could have been a bit more forgiving here. This is the most tedious aspect for me, thus far.

I like discovering little new things and the game is definitely full of that in the first few hours. It leaves a strong first impression. And everyone in here has already mentioned the fantastic music! I'd recommend playing with a nice pair of headphones, if you can. I say this because there's lots of very subtle audio cues that help with identifying friendly and hostile flora and fauna.

Excited to play more but I have to admit I have concerns about how long my enthusiasm might last with this because of the reasons I mentioned above. Definitely check it out if you have Game Pass on XB1.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
For the second floor:

There's an elevator you can unlock that lowers you to the safe zone on the second level. There a key when you get to the beach on the right side and you open it up on the left side. The elevator itself is at the top left of the starting Hill

Thanks!

Played a few hours. Like it a lot so far but my biggest concern is (by the very nature of it being a roguelite) how repetitive the areas are once you die and have to trek through them again. You'll be opening up lots of shortcuts and there are some interesting implementations of fast travel here -- one that comes at a cost and is not available at all times. I'll leave the discovery of this up to you because I don't want to spoil it.

The game gets interesting on the 4th floor and lower since
you quickly learn that the middle icon under the health gauge is your body temperature (and how close you are to beginning to freeze to death).

My main gripe right now is that, since I've died holding
the Lantern, the Map UI only tells you the floor that the Lantern is on but not necessarily how to navigate in the direction of the room it's currently contained in.
I really feel that Capy could have been a bit more forgiving here. This is the most tedious aspect for me, thus far.

I like discovering little new things and the game is definitely full of that in the first few hours. It leaves a strong first impression. And everyone in here has already mentioned the fantastic music! I'd recommend playing with a nice pair of headphones, if you can. I say this because there's lots of very subtle audio cues that help with identifying friendly and hostile flora and fauna.

Excited to play more but I have to admit I have concerns about how long my enthusiasm might last with this because of the reasons I mentioned above. Definitely check it out if you have Game Pass on XB1.

I'd have to agree wrt how the lantern being lost is handled, I understand the lack of light is part of the tension in certain floors (and use of depleting torches) but it certainly feels like an extra layer of harshness having to track down the lantern in a new area each time due to the random generation of the level layouts in each life. Perhaps Capy will consider tweaking this aspect or making an optional mode that makes it easier to reclaim. Like you I have some doubts of seeing it through to the end which is a damn shame because this has some of the most satisfying atmosphere and music I've experienced in a long while.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize you can cut the trip wire(couldn't figure out what they even were until I ran over one), but only if I did this running chop move
The little square things that light up with your lamp are not your friend...

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Loving everything about the game so far.

The atmosphere is fantastic.

I need to go to bed, does anyone know if I can quit to the menu and still continue from where I left off when I play again?

*Edit

Looks like you can!

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the opening scene an EXTREMELY slow zoom into the main character's ship, or am I not understanding a controller input?

I like it, I expected this, but for the longest time it seemed like something was wrong.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck and have been running around aimlessly for the last 45 minutes or so.

Apparently I'm in "2" and reached a beach where I found leather armor on a shipwreck and a lift to the beginning plateau. Where do I go from here? I checked all the "sectors" but beside a door with branches in front of it I haven't found another way.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Is the opening scene an EXTREMELY slow zoom into the main character's ship, or am I not understanding a controller input?

I like it, I expected this, but for the longest time it seemed like something was wrong.

the dev said the opening sequence is pretty long, like 4 mins or so. something tells me you're supposed to be baked playing this

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just played the first 30 minutes before I had to go to work. Wow, what an atmospheric game with incredible soundtrack. The music reminds me a little bit of Hyper Light Drifter. Can't wait for the weekend to put in some quality time.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I'll have to wait until I get back home early next week from visiting family before I can play. Wasn't aware this was a roguelike with survival elements, so this is totally up my alley. Didn't care much for Ashen, but I'm excited to try this out.

jotakun

Nov 18, 2017
Has any website published some first impressions? I'm really excited the game finally came out but I can't play until tonight

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Has any website published some first impressions? I'm really excited the game finally came out but I can't play until tonight

You have previews from sites earlier this year when the game reemerged but nothing from the released build yet.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/below
https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/09/hands-preview-interview-shove-take-time-need-7451552/
https://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-long-awaited-below-re-emerges-and-its-a-brutal/2300-6443505/

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Since the game is already up on Game Pass, can someone please confirm the size of the game?

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I've managed to reproduce a bug twice now where selecting caltrops while sat a campfire will cause the caltrops to be put on the floor and then your inventory menu will disappear and you can't move or do anything. I had to quit to the main menu and restart the room again. The way the game saves after entering each room means this shouldn't be a major issue but it does seem to need fixing.

Anyway I'm really enjoying this so far. Going to have to disagree with people complaining about having to get the lantern each time - between your torches and being able to drop gems on the floor for light I don't think it's a big deal, you just have to be a bit more careful on the way back. Great music, great atmosphere, looking forward to seeing where the game goes.

Now I'm stressed that I always need enough food.

I've already died once from hunger and the meter seems to deplete very quickly. Eating veg in isolation does little, and although I'm cooking broths when I can they're only filling my hunger meter up about halfway. Hunger is definitely a bigger concern to me than the enemies right now.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The Below soundtrack is getting a limited CD release on Jim Guthrie's Bandcamp page. $10 USD and includes the digital version as well.

Preorders here: https://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/album/below-original-soundtrack

Ax1chqe.png

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Even though I always hated the decision to go with a zoomed out view making the character really tiny,its on Gamepass so it's installing now...the rest will have to be damn good to keep me playing...crosses fingers(seems like the music is great so thats one right there).

Nice OT.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good explaining video on youtube about the game? I like the art style but for Roguelike, I either really love it or really hate it so im on the fence about this one especially since they didn't reveal a lot of videos until release so it's a bit worrysome and I don't want to buy something I don't know if im gonna like for 25$

Status
Not open for further replies.