• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It is coming out same day. Dec 14 for both Xbox & Steam.

You can see our min spec on the steam page. That said, we've tested it with LOWER than minspec and it still runs well.

It's a roguelike-inspired dungeon crawler / adventure game with a focus on atmosphere.

Depending on how you play it's easily 20+ hours long.

Ah ok, thanks, the OP was a bit confusing with the limited exclusivity thing.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Excited to try it tomorrow! I love roguelikes! Best part of it being on GamePass is you get a discount on buying it -- not to mention the Winter of Arcade promotion!

Congrats on the launch!

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Is there an ETA tomorrow?
Wondering if I should take a half day, or just work through depending on release time.

Either way, super hyped. Thanks for making this brilliant looking game!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Is this a rogue-like/lite? Are the dungeons procedural?

Yes.

What happens when I die in-game?
Death is permanent. Once you die you lose your character but the body of the defeated wanderer and their equipment will persist into your next playthrough to rediscover. Your progress in the world (unlockable shortcuts) will also continue on regardless of your death.

How much of the game is randomly generated?
A significant portion. Below primarily consists of randomly generated environments but there are a couple handcrafted, constant, areas in Below in addition to a set style of levels as you descend deeper into the island (think of how the environments change at set intervals as you progress in Spelunky).

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game should be good for fans of Resetera since no one can apparently read an OP. Game seems to have little to no text.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
The music in the trailer fucking slayed me. Hoping it's included, or at least, very similar to the game's score.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This game should be good for fans of Resetera since no one can apparently read an OP. Game seems to have little to no text.

Prep for the game I suppose!

Is it on windows 10 store for gamepass owners or only on steam?

Barring a surprise Play Anywhere twist, the game is not on the Windows Store with Game Pass.

Gamepass?
Yes, Below will be launching as part of Game Pass. Note: because the game is not announced to be a Play Anywhere title the Game Pass option will not be available on PC.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Spelunky comparisons have me extremely excited. The dev is reliable, I'm sure the game will be good.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an online component to this at all?

No.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/09/hands-preview-interview-shove-take-time-need-7451552/

GC (Interviewer): Oh, is it something to do with multiplayer? That was something you were teasing previously.

Nathan Vella: No. This is a single-player experience. We had originally planned to do some multiplayer stuff but it definitely didn't make the cut, largely because it made us break all of the design that we were trying to go for. So it's not multiplayer. Although that was a really good guess. [laughs]

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Given the roguelite nature, I think what's impressive of the footage shown so far is how the world doesn't look like the common "path + module" appearance. It looks more naturally laid out.

Is the map procedurally generated, or is it handcrafted rooms procedurally linked together?

Also anyone know if this will be more akin to a roguelite like Necropolis, or will it be more like a Brogue/Unexplored/3D Nethack-kind of thing? Less combat, more layers of secrets and systems to uncover

Last edited:

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If it took anyone 5 hours to get through the first area of Spelunky, you are a failure at life.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this, have been for years. A bit busy with Mutant Year Zero and Ashen, but will at least get started on this.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Given the roguelite nature, I think what's impressive of the footage shown so far is how the world doesn't look like the common "path + module" appearance. It looks more naturally laid out.

Is the map procedurally generated, or is it handcrafted rooms procedurally linked together?

Also anyone if this will be more akin to a roguelite like Necropolis, or will it be more like a Brogue/Unexplored/3D Nethack-kind of thing? Less combat, more layers of secrets and systems to uncover

This was the most specific I saw folk from Capy get about how random levels are put together.

https://kotaku.com/the-story-of-two-games-that-took-forever-to-make-1825059678

The game also uses procedural generation. Unlike the original Zelda and other games that influenced it, which all had fixed level designs, Below's world is constantly being remixed by algorithms to create slightly different versions so that no playthrough is the same. "We had a version of the procedural generation of levels completed early but we weren't happy with it and then ended up redoing it a bunch of times," he said. The team realized that true randomness, like what you get from a series of dice rolls, doesn't actually end up feeling random when done on a large scale. Rather than very unique outcomes, you get lots of things in the middle of the spectrum that all start to average out. "Total randomness doesn't feel good, or even feel random. It just feels messy and crummy," he said.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Red Dead made me realize I'm burned out on the big AAA games scene. Game Pass made me realize I've been missing out on Indies. Suddenly became very excited about this game. Hope the studio does well on this. Looks really damned cool.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Dancrane212 its showing up as $33.45AU if that's some kind of guide for the price.

Hard to tell with Microsoft listings. At least from a Canadian perspective, they have a wide range of conversion options (sometimes games are the same in CAD as USD, other times not) without much consistency on why one is picked over the other.

$24.99 USD would be my guess off that AUD price though.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this detail from Game Informer's recent dev playthrough says a lot about the design and tone: that the spear weapon can also be used for spear-fishing

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm really glad it's on gamepass. Love the design of the title too. It's on some clever Olly Moss type tip.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
My body is ready for this after having waited something ridiculous like 3 or 4 years. Soooooo ready!

Is it supposed to be up at 10pm pst tonight?

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so ready for this, I was going to buy GRIS but I think I'll get this instead for now.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cromulent Word
Thank you for putting the game on Xbox Game Pass. Since 2013 waiting for this game. Fortunately I can play it on a Xbox One X and a 65" screen and a dark room which I learned by some of the given interviews is the best way to play it, right?

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to avoid as much coverage as I can as to not spoil myself for my first run through but is there any indication of a overall narrative at all even with the absence of dialogue/hints as stated in the OP?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i've been looking forward to this forever, hopefully this is more my cup of tea than ashen turned out to be

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT, really excited this is finally coming out.

I bought the old Kinect VCR Box at launch with Below in mind hoping it would be a launch window game, haha.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Really excited for this. I'm a huge Capy fan, falling in love with their work on Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes which is a phenomenal game. Plus Superbrothers and Super Time Force I've loved their games so much. Can't wait for Below... do we know when its launching on Xbox (time?) as I'll be booting my Xbox up the moment it's available and jumping in.

PS. Cromulent Word - thank you and the team for everything you create.

Status
Not open for further replies.