• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
ylDF11A.png

CnGAlyN.png

Explore

Survive

Discover
Platforms: PC/Xbox One
Release Date: December 14th, 2018
Genre: Adventure (Roguelike)
Price: $24.99 USD (Part of the $5 back Winter of Arcade promo on Xbox)
Game Pass: Yes
Play Anywhere: Not listed as such.
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer/Publisher: Capybara Games
Size: 4.61GB (Xbox One)

faqrgczr.png

What is Below?
Below is a top down adventure where you are tasked with exploring the labyrinths under a mysterious location known only as The Isle. Here you will defeat monstrous creatures and traverse environmental hazards/traps to descend deeper into the structure.

There are no tutorials, hints or dialogue in Below. The game is all about discovery: be that locations, story or even the basic play mechanics.

What happens when I die in-game?
Death is permanent. Once you die you lose your character but the body of the defeated wanderer and their equipment will persist into your next playthrough to rediscover. Your progress in the world (unlockable shortcuts) will also continue on regardless of your death.

How much of the game is randomly generated?
A significant portion. Below primarily consists of randomly generated environments but there are a couple handcrafted, constant, areas in Below in addition to a set style of levels as you descend deeper into the island (think of how the environments change at set intervals as you progress in Spelunky).

How long is Below?
As per the director of the game...
"It's definitely the longest game that we've ever made, for sure. I compare it roughly to the length of Diablo 1 [~14 Hours as listed on howlongtobeat], I would say it's over twenty hours for the first playthrough. Perhaps much more. If you've played Spelunky for example, it could have taken four or five hours to play through the first zone, and then reach the second zone and spend another four or five hours figuring that out and dying a whole lot.

Exclusive?
The game is having its "console debut" exclusively on Xbox One. Below will come to other platforms once that, unknown, window of exclusivity has passed. The PC release is not impacted by this.

Gamepass?
Yes, Below will be launching as part of Game Pass. Note: because the game is not announced to be a Play Anywhere title the Game Pass option will not be available on PC.

Xbox One X Enhancements?
Yes, Below supports the Xbox One X and will run at a native 4k/60fps on the console.

mediaveeec.png

ss_57a4dfb80c548491d5f9e8751d6d32764a71980f.600x338.jpg
ss_7a3c42cf5a42a1dccd256e115fb111449b3b9c47.600x338.jpg

ss_a703452decdc0dc36249303edc208e501f43108d.600x338.jpg
ss_f1a5f03d1078726378779fba22da240f7337fd30.600x338.jpg

reviewsd5dee.png

Metacritic (Xbox One) - 68
Metacritic (PC) - 70

Attack of the Fanboy 4/5
Worth the wait, Below is a Rouge lite that doesn't hold your hand and asks you figure out the rules of this world on your own. It makes for a fulfilling, albeit difficult journey.

PCGamer 68/100
Even after all this time, Below doesn't quite seem to be ready. More damagingly, it feels like it's been surpassed in places. During its long journey to the light, the survival genre has flourished. Few of its peers can match it for atmosphere, but from crafting to combat to campfire checkpoints, Below feels a little behind the times.

Game Informer 7.5/10
Below's death mechanics can be devastating and off-putting, and caused me to bounce off the game several times. The survival nags are annoying, and the grinding for a safety net feels like a busy chore, but the overall combination of stylized graphics and soundtrack create an incredible universe that begs to be experienced. You need serious tenacity and perseverance to see the sights, but they are wonders worth seeing.

linksubffu.png

Steam
Xbox
Official Site
Soundtrack (Digital, CD Preorder and Vinyl (2019))

Last edited:

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
After this long of a wait, I'll probably buy the game no matter what, but I would still love to see some impressions.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think there might be a delay with the reviews, saw Chris Charla say on Twitter they had issues sending out codes but it's been resolved now, so don't expect reviews to drop this weekend, probably.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
My Xbox One X is ready. I just wrapped up Shadow of The Tomb Raider (meh) e I can't wait to start this new journey.
I played the game at GamesCom twice and in both cases I literally had no idea what was was going on.
The nice Kris Piotrowski (Capy) was laughing hard watching me play the demo.

Damn.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
My Xbox One X is ready. I just wrapped up Shadow of The Tomb Raider (meh) e I can't wait to start this new journey.
I played the game at GamesCom twice and in both cases I literally had no idea what was was going on.
The nice Kris Piotrowski (Capy) was laughing hard watching me play the demo.

Damn.

At PAX East this year I was talking to the developer manning the booth about how I excited I was for the game and how I'd been waiting since 2013. I then walked up to play the demo and—once I stepped inside the dungeon—the very first thing I did was step on a spike trap and died with him watching. Thankfully no one was waiting on the station so I got try and regain my honor with a follow-up attempt.

The game pulls no punches.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
It has been a long wait! And the wait will be a bit longer for me - hoping for a mac or ps4 release down the line. But glad to see that it has reached release date. I really love the art direction.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea this was a roguelike of sorts. Now I'm more interested than I was before.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this is a homerun from Capy. I'd like to see them win.

Think there might be a delay with the reviews, saw Chris Charla say on Twitter they had issues sending out codes but it's been resolved now, so don't expect reviews to drop this weekend, probably.

Thankfully some sites probably went with Steam keys instead, so we should get some good impressions tomorrow.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Below and Ashen back to back is definitely bringing back "Summer or Arcade" vibes so them calling this Winter of Arcade is validated. Going to play both of these after I wrap up Red Dead.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Looking forward to play it this weekend. Would be nice to know, one day before release, how much it costs and what time I can download, lol

Cromulent Word

Co-founder @ Capy
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Hey - Nathan from Capy here. Used to be a little more active but finishing the game stole all my ERA time. I'll try to hop into threads where / when I can and answer questions.

Thanks for the great OT! Really excited (and terrified) for it to get into people's hands tomorrow. There's a lot of pretty big pieces of the game we haven't really shown - hope people dig it.

We'll give everyone a heads up on price later today.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey - Nathan from Capy here. Used to be a little more active but finishing the game stole all my ERA time. I'll try to hop into threads where / when I can and answer questions.

Thanks for the great OT! Really excited (and terrified) for it to get into people's hands tomorrow. There's a lot of pretty big pieces of the game we haven't really shown - hope people dig it.

Congrats on the game release. I'm sure the anticipation of the release is killing you after so long.

Can't wait to play it.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Congrats on the game!, will be staying up tonight to play it when it launches, I'm so excited to play it!

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Thank god! Gonna grab the GF and some blankets and our weekend playing this is set.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
These past few weeks have been so good for my Xbox.

Really excited to finally get my hands on this game.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What "kind" of game is Below? Roguelike? Open world? Linear? Are there side activities to do? How long is it?

Im really excited, yet I don't really know exactly what kind of game it is. :P

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats on the launch! Really looking forward to getting my hands on the full game; I've had Below as my desktop lock screen since 2013 with that great silhouette artwork.

U8rjaiP.png

Wait. Its not on steam? :(

Nice. I was under the impression it's coming out on PC on Dec 14 as well, though. Ah well.

Did I mess something up in the OP? The Steam link is showing for folk right? The PC version is definitely launching tomorrow.

*Oh, maybe the console timed exclusive tag? That's in reference to Xbox and the other consoles but I see how that can be read the other way. I'll pull it and just leave the explanation in the FAQ.

Last edited:

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So true, I bought my first Xbox this gen (an X with RD2) Also bought a year of game pass for £45, great value. Have still not got round to Ashen due to MY0 and now Below!

I did the same thing! Got my X for Forza and RD2 and I've just been loving it.

MY0, Ashen, Smash and Below is a great way to end the year. Just wish I had more time to play all of them 😩

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt know this was rogue like. I'm in there

Cromulent Word

Co-founder @ Capy
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Nice. I was under the impression it's coming out on PC on Dec 14 as well, though. Ah well.
It is coming out same day. Dec 14 for both Xbox & Steam.
I hope my shitty PC can run it... :(
You can see our min spec on the steam page. That said, we've tested it with LOWER than minspec and it still runs well.
What "kind" of game is Below? Roguelike? Open world? Linear? Are there side activities to do? How long is it?
It's a roguelike-inspired dungeon crawler / adventure game with a focus on atmosphere.

Depending on how you play it's easily 20+ hours long.

Status
Not open for further replies.