• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
OK so all these characters are getting exactly 3 seconds of movie

I have my doubts about this being a cohesive end of the trilogy

of the ennealogy !
But honestly, that was why i was super happy about Han and Luke being killed off - to maybe allow the final installment to focus more on the new characters.
The fact that JJ got Lando to return really bummed me out.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
OK so all these characters are getting exactly 3 seconds of movie

I have my doubts about this being a cohesive end of the trilogy

I don't think anyone expects a cohesive trilogy at this point. It was just two different directors doing whatever they feel like as far as we can tell.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Just to put things into perspective, because there's a lot of "great" hot takes (not yours, specifically) in this thread ("OMG SPOILERS, LIGHTSABERS ARE IN THIS LOL!")
I am very sure that a possible cameo by Wicket would be a lovely surprise to many, something you don't expect to happen when going to see this movies - as opposed to stuff like Lightsabers and Sheev and whatever. So that's the difference between these low effort straw men and the surprise of unexpectedly seeing a familiar face.

But more importantly, this is not an announcement, this is a ONE SECOND STILL FRAME of a SIX MINUTE video about Rise of Skywalker. There was no announcement, there's barely any reporting done on this.
It's probably a single fan scouring that video for new images, seeing Warwick Davis as Wicket (in the context of characters from former entries), pausing the video, double checking to see that it's actually current day Warwick, as an Ewok, not young Warwick from the 80s.

giphy.gif

To call this an "announcement" and blame people for not going on absolute internet blackout is a bit harsh. It's so super easy to be mindful of others' experiences, it's so super easy to just be mindful of others. This is not at all in the same ballpark as the Palpatine announcement, which is at the core of the film's entire marketing.

There's so much more energy spent in this thread in name calling letting others know that their feelings or the way they'd like to experience Episode IX is objectively wrong when it would have been incredibly easy to name the thread "New Star Wars featurette hints at the return of a familiar face" or something like that. I don't see the big harm in doing so. Some of y'all sound eerily like "MILLENNIALS AND THEIR PARTICIPATION TROPHIES ... SNOWFLAKE ECHO CHAMBERS ... SPOILER CULTURE" boomers :P

The comparison to clickbait - i.e. inentionally obfuscating information to generate clicks for your ad-supported site - to simply keeping stuff that some people might consider a spoiler from thread titles. It's obvious (as observable in this thread) that some people would have loved this to stay a surprise, and for many of them, it would have remained one. For perspective - even though i'm following Star Wars on social media, but also shit like fandom and rottentomatoes, this reveal was entirely new to me.

A casting that was released publicly in any form is not a spoiler.

But sure you can compare me to people who call people snowflakes if somehow that makes you feel better <3

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Boy modern spoiler culture is something. If you're so tightly wound that you can't even see or hear about officially released media I don't think you're improving your movie watching experience. At some point the anger and paranoia overwhelms things and you're just too fixated on that to enjoy it anyway.

Also funny because back in the day the biggest spoiler of the entire series was revealed two years before the movie:
3V0wA.jpg

The best part is he says Star Wars III is where it'd be revealed...but it was Star Wars II!

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Before you know it thread titles will simply be:

[SPOILER WARNING] [SPOILER.] is [Spoiler.] in [Spoiler.] did anyone except that?

That will be the only thing that will satisfy spoiler culture.
No, because then I will be pissed off at the fact that you revealed that someone is something. >:(

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well one IMDB is not the arbiter of what's official.

And two you realize IMDB is even less concealing right? You'll find twist castings and surprise reveals listed on IMDB.
I'm just saying things have nuance, and people are calling this a "official casting announcement" - which, in my opinion, it isn't.
And while it's a one second screen grab from official marketing material, it has only been signal boosted by a single outlet or individual users on social media.

Now we've shifted to "any officially released information is fair game".

Like, if the OST hit Amazon and Spotify on December 17th and people posted a thread "Kylo Ren confirmed to die in The Rise of Skywalker" because one of the tracks is called "Ren's Requiem" - i'd consider that a similar grey area with regards to "offical marketing material possibly revealing certain plot aspects".
And i realize, we're talking about a Teddy Bear, no huge deal. Which is why i'm even more confused, that in this very case, people are so hellbent on creating these absolutisms when there's other members of the community who are just asking for a tiny bit of mindfulness with regards to thread titles.
I really don't see the ridiculous slippery slope here. "The Rise of Skywalker might see another familiar face return (Possible Spoilers)" would have been a wonderful title that would have literally created zero issues, wouldn't you agree?

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Warned: Thread derail and threadwhining
Can mods change thread title? I'd prefer to have not known this. Op made a jerk move.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I don't get the 'it's in an official video, therefore it's not a spoiler!' logic. I thought it was generally accepted that trailers and marketing give way too much of the plot away these days?

Also, why the Ewok hate? I've never understood it. People are like 'they ruined the movie with these cute cuddly teddy bears'. Yeah, cute, cuddly teddy bears WHO FIGHT USING GUERILLA WARFARE. That's pretty badass.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Officially released marketing material has always been considered fair game. Look at the various Palpatine threads.
The fact that you are clearly parsing this thread and you keep repeating this narrative is ... irritating.
This is in no way compareable to the Sheev thing, one's the core narrative of the film's entire marketing. The other one is a cameo that might have (accidentally?) revealed in a single frame throughout a 6 minute video that is also stuffed with old archive photos. There's no reports on any major Hollywood or Star Wars fansite, there's no mention of this alongside the video. This is a literal 'glimpse and you miss it' random moment in an official video.

There's so many people that very respectfully informed you that they would have loved for this to be a surprise. I'm really confused with your insistance on your own interpretation about what's a spoiler and what's not.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Officially released marketing material has always been considered fair game. Look at the various Palpatine threads.

It's been explained multiple times already, but it's also a one-second screen grab in a featurette some people, myself included, elected not to watch, as opposed to an official press release.
By including the information in your thread title, you eliminated any choice in clicking or not. It's easy to not click on video links, but it's kinda hard to skip over thread titles when scrolling ResetEra.
Simply having the title say "Lucasfilm reveals new cameo in Rise of the Sith featurette" would have avoided the entire 300+ post argument.
As spoilers go it's not huge, but it was still rather inconsiderate to include the info in the thread title.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Also, why the Ewok hate? I've never understood it. People are like 'they ruined the movie with these cute cuddly teddy bears'. Yeah, cute, cuddly teddy bears WHO FIGHT USING GUERILLA WARFARE. That's pretty badass.

It's because boys that were 8 in 1977 we're 14 in 1983. They were officially banned from liking Teddy bears, of any kind, at age 14 or above in 1983.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Of all the things to dig up from the OT, Ewoks have got to be bottom of the barrel lol.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute here are people really upset that the op " spoiled' this? Cuz I cannot possibly this is true.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you are clearly parsing this thread and you keep repeating this narrative is ... irritating.
This is in no way compareable to the Sheev thing, one's the core narrative of the film's entire marketing. The other one is a cameo that might have (accidentally?) revealed in a single frame throughout a 6 minute video that is also stuffed with old archive photos. There's no reports on any major Hollywood or Star Wars fansite, there's no mention of this alongside the video. This is a literal 'glimpse and you miss it' random moment in an official video.

There's so many people that very respectfully informed you that they would have loved for this to be a surprise. I'm really confused with your insistance on your own interpretation about what's a spoiler and what's not.
I put the request to to change it. But it doesn't change the fact its insane spoilerphobe mania at its worst to fret about officially released media.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I put the request to to change it. But it doesn't change the fact its insane spoilerphobe mania at its worst to fret about officially released media.
Cool. Thanks!

Different people think differently about different things and a little mindfulness goes a long way. I don't think anyone's negatively impacted by a title change.

IN FACT the thread / discussion will greatly benefit from it, and that's also in your interest, i presume?

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to despise the Ewoks in ROTJ, for the usual noted reasons. I've softened on them considerably as I've gotten older. Ewoks are fine.

This news makes me incredibly happy.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully they decline. Having casting announcements considered to be spoilers would be a whole new level of stupid.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they decline. Having casting announcements considered to be spoilers would be a whole new level of stupid.

No matter how often people repeat this. This. is. not. a. casting. announcement.
Official material hinting at an actor reprising a role is not a casting announcement.

This is:

And all of these are absolutely fair game.
And even the Sheev thing is absolutely fair game.

I can't understand how you're so unwilling to accept that there's a difference here and this isn't some slippery slope where every thread title is going to end up "REDACTED SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER REDACTED".

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks mods!

Also Ewoks now confirmed "beloved" by staff. All is well.

Ontopic: Warwick Davis has indeed been in every Prequel Trilogy Star Wars movie, as well as Rogue One and Solo. He's even had a part in Rebels, which - given the fact that it's a voice role and it isn't a recurring character of his, and as such could have been cast by any other voice actor - makes me think Lucasfilm shares a particularly close bond with him.

So the surprise is mostly that he'll be reprising his Wicket role, instead of just having a cameo as an entirely new character.

Which, as some have put it, isn't that much of a surprise either, given JJ's track record of uhm ... asset-reuse? Both, in his Star Wars movies - but also his Star Trek movies (*cough* Khan *cough*)

To almost quote senator Sheev:
Not a surprise, to be sure,
but a welcome one.

Last edited:

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Ewoks were coming back. So I for sure didn't know Wicket was coming back. Now I know. That is 100% a spoiler title. If I cared I might have been annoyed by this but thankfully I don't care about spoilers for this movie so carry on!

Ah mod edited the title. Probably a good call!