• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think the castings are solid. Hard to really know though until we see some of their acting in the part. I think writing Bella Ramsey off based on parts in GoT and His Dark Materials would be silly, she played bit parts in both and an actor can only do what a director or writer have prepared for them. I think if the direction and writing are strong enough here we may see a really great performance here for her turn as a co-lead role. Pedro Pascal is also a solid choice - cautiously optimistic this will turn out well with the writers and show runner on board but we will see.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Puh I don't know, unlike most I didn't really like her performance much in GoT and according to some posts she was bad in Dark Materials as well.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
She is going to be 18 years old by the time shooting starts. How are they going to make her look 5 years younger and smaller?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like this casting. She has Ellie's spunk, that's for sure. She doesn't look all that similar but it doesn't really matter.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
God, she was annoying in Game of Thrones.

Though that was less on her and more on the fanbase/writers being completely enamored with the character and just forcing her into as many 'cool' scenes as possible.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
She is going to be 18 years old by the time shooting starts. How are they going to make her look 5 years younger and smaller?
I was blown away that learning she was almost 18 thinking about how young she looked in GoT. Then I remembered GoT season 6 debuted almost 5yrs ago. Time flies way too fast (I know she was in later seasons but my memory still uses her first appearance as reference point)

It's also funny they grabbed her when felow GoT alum Maisie Williams was the front-runner for the role years ago

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hollywood magic. Also script does not need to fit the source material 100%.
Yeah, it's honestly bit weird how people are so attached to minor and essentially irrelevant details. What's more important is how they transfer the themes and atmosphere/tone from the game to TV. Not that characters are the exact same age or have similar beards and accents like the game characters. Joel in the game could be without a beard, it wouldn't change anything. Ellie could be speak with russian accent, wouldn't change anything.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This cast seems fine, but I am super bummed that Mahershala Ali is out. I allowed myself to get excited for a second there.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It's insanely weird that so many people on here just think an actor/actress has to look like a source character to be worthy of the role.

That doesn't matter, and has never ever mattered.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Pretty happy about this. Loved her on Worst Witch (I have kids, I'm allowed) & GoT. I think was miscast in HDM.

That shirt posted upthread was pretty damn good.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's insanely weird that so many people on here just think an actor/actress has to look like a source character to be worthy of the role.

That doesn't matter, and has never ever mattered.

Go to Pedro thread, him not being 1:1 with Joel's design doesn't matter.

For some reason it's far greater issue with Bella and her likeness to Ellie. Or lack of.

If I were to speculate it's mostly that people like Pedro as actor more than they like Bella as he is more established.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Hollywood magic. Also script does not need to fit the source material 100%.

I think that Ellie's age is crucial in the story. Her being only 13 years old is crucial to character development, emotional and psychological state and so much more. I think Bella is going to play Ellieas 14 years old but I am not sure if thats still true.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
People trashing a 17 year old in this thread need to take a long hard look at themselves man

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Kmwu4eZ.jpeg

Thinking ahead. Smart.

DanCon

Oct 30, 2017
meh..ive seen her in things other than GoT and the acting is pretty stale to say the least :(

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Good for her career but I don't think she's a great choice at all, she doesn't even looks like her, we'll see I guess but I don't get my hopes up

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
No, I don't think anyone on this board specifically knows her orientation. But at the same time, pretending that orientation is in some sort of quantum state unless explicitly stated, feels a lot like folks who say they don't see color. In a perfect world, that would be the ideal. But we don't live in a perfect world. We live in one where, like it or not, the default is straight. And this is an actress who was promoting an evangelical Christian Church last year.

So no. No one here can say they know her orientation, but the vast majority of the world is going to see her as straight.

I don't believe anyone should be forced to come out, at any age, but I do believe that representation matters. And I would argue that representation is more important than a potentially closeted actor losing out on a role to an out actor.

What makes this stand out is twofold. It is a video game series being made into a prestige TV show (not common) and Ellie's story is one of a woman who happens to be LGBT, versus a LGBT story. Her orientation is just a part of who she is, it doesn't drive the core storyline. She's not the "cool gay friend" trope.

For teens who are growing up now, seeing themselves represented both on, and off, screen is important. It's not like there aren't any 17 or 18 year old actresses available who identify as LGBT.

You're correct about Ashley Johnson. I didn't comment on her because she was cast before anyone knew who Ellie was. It's also been more than a decade since work first started on the original game. But we're not talking about a sequel. We're talking about a very visible, high budget TV show, where all roles are being recast. Now is the perfect time to push for representation.

I don't blame her for taking the role, but I do think the producers could have done better with their casting choices in this regard.
*blinks repeatedly* You do realize that you are saying this to at least three openly queer people that you quoted? Do you honestly think we don't care about representation nor know how important it is?
But at the same time, pretending that orientation is in some sort of quantum state unless explicitly stated, feels a lot like folks who say they don't see color.
Really? No one said this and that's a terrible point of comparison.
I don't believe anyone should be forced to come out, at any age, but I do believe that representation matters. And I would argue that representation is more important than a potentially closeted actor losing out on a role to an out actor.
WTF even is this?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I hope she does a good job. Her GoT performance was memorable, but not for emotional nuance. Maybe she nailed the audition for Ellie. I've only seen her play Lyanna Mormont, so I have no idea how she'll handle a more complex role.

To be honest it's going to be really hard for me to forget Joel's and Ellie's faces from the games. It's not like an adaptation of a book where the characters' appearances aren't fully fixed, so it's easier to overlook the actors' visual differences. Games are already visual.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I mean look at her, she can clearly pull off playing younger.

Also I roll my eyes at anyone saying she doesn't look like her, fan casting is always, who looks the most like the characters and is stupid.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Just have to wait and see. I'm not immediately sold on the casting like I am with Pedro but she could be great.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
She had a small role in the show, but she was a highlight whenever on screen.

Good choice

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't really care at all for her character on GoT.

Hope she fits the role and does it justice. We'll see.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I mean look at her, she can clearly pull off playing younger.

Also I roll my eyes at anyone saying she doesn't look like her, fan casting is always, who looks the most like the characters and is stupid.
Apparently the most important part of joel as a character is the ability to grow a beard.

May 7, 2020
I really liked her performance in the GoT, but haven't seen or heard her in other stuff. Looking towards her outfit test shot reveal and first performances as Ellie.

Bella gets casted as Ellie, "Can't see it. She isn't 1:1 with video game Ellie's appearance and age"

Pedro gets casted as Joel, "Perfect casting, can totally see it. Looks like Joel!"
Of all the posts to single out... really?

I can't see it because from what I've seen of her she comes off too wooden (as child actors tend to be) when Ellie isn't really a wooden personality. I also said in another post that maybe it'll click when I see it, but for now I'm reserving judgement.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Not much of a likeness at all but I didn't think Henry Carvill would be that great in Witcher and he's perfect so I'm best ignored :)

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Thank God they didn't go with someone well in their twenties just because they "look the part".

They really nailed the leads here. Good stuff.

TheBarrylad

Jul 13, 2020
Didn't really get much of a read on her in Game of Thrones. Fairly limited role, she didn't do a whole bunch. But I suspect, given the involvement of Druckmann/ND, and some fairly heavy hitters from the TV realm, that this casting wasn't done lightly, and they believe in her for this role.

Pascal, obviously, is an incredible get as he is a tremendous and very versatile actor. Really he blows away most of the suggested fan castings seemingly focused just on looks; which is fun and all but that's not what matters, in the long run.
I feel his thunder was stolen a little bit by the rumour breaking that Mahershala Ali was offered the role, just before the official news broke. I won't split hairs over who I think is better between the two (both incredible) but a story like that will always keep fans in the "what if" mindset.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, the more names they sign on for it.