• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Excited for her! Not surprised a lot here hate it, but y'all are tossing the show aside because of a casting?! I trust Mazin and Druckmann and I'm excited to see how this transitions to tv.
I mean she's one of two absolutely critical casting choices(arguably number one) in the series and her performance in the one role she is asked to show a moderate range of emotion(His Dark Materials) she completely stood out....in the worst way possible.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Let's wait to see her actually acting as Ellie before passing judgment, shall we?

Also, this is an adaptation, not a 1:1 retelling of the story. People that are expecting to see a live action version of the exact same characters doing the exact same things than in the games will be really, really disappointed...

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I was hoping for Keitlyn Dever (even though she's 24), she sounds and looks the part. Probably best to go in a different direction and try to not make TV Ellie 1:1 with game Ellie. Ramsey being British is going to make this curious, has she done a role with a U.S. accent?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Child actors often get credit for giving performances that show something beyond their years. Most of them do not make the same impression as adults (which Bella Ramsey very nearly is).

If I am to judge her on the basis of her Game of Thrones performance, it is a very one-note performance that fits in the context of her role in the show and little more.

Ellie has to change into a completely different human being. I really don't think this is the best casting choice.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I mean she's one of two absolutely critical casting choices(arguably number one) in the series and her performance in the one role she is asked to show a moderate range of emotion(His Dark Materials) she completely stood out....in the worst way possible.
Possibly true, but they obviously saw something in her to go this route. I see no reason to be doom and gloom since we've obviously seen literally nothing from the show.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for Keitlyn Dever (even though she's 24), she sounds and looks the part. Probably best to go in a different direction and try to not make TV Ellie 1:1 with game Ellie. Ramsey being British is going to make this curious, has she done a role with a U.S. accent?
Batman, Spiderman and Superman are British

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly true, but they obviously saw something in her to go this route. I see no reason to be doom and gloom since we've obviously seen literally nothing from the show.
Literally the only thing to go on is past performance. Why even make topics about casting choices if we shouldn't talk about it from the only perspective we can talk about it?

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I would kinda prefer a story told in the universe over a TV adaption. I'm happy for her though. Ellie is a central character in the story so she's landed a pretty big role. I'll watch it.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Literally the only thing to go on is past performance. Why even make topics about casting choices if we shouldn't talk about it from the only perspective we can talk about it?
Chill. I get ya, my comment is more so the people writing off the entire show without an inkling of anything shown.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She's 17...By the time they start shooting she'll be 18. But I guess they know, we'll see.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad you have optimism.

For me, based on what I have seen from the actor, unless the plan is to turn Ellie into a very one note character, what I have seen of this person's career does not instill a lot of confidence.

She's 17 so maybe she can or has grown as an actor in the last year since HDM, it wouldn't be the first time, but it would be pretty shocking to see someone go from stand out in a very bad way to someone capable of nailing a complex role like this.

We'll see

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I'm glad you have optimism.

For me, based on what I have seen from the actor, unless the plan is to turn Ellie into a very one note character, what I have seen of this person's career does not instill a lot of confidence.

She's 17 so maybe she can or has grown as an actor in the last year since HDM, it wouldn't be the first time, but it would be pretty shocking to see someone go from stand out in a very bad way to someone capable of nailing a complex role like this.

We'll see
Haha yeah I hear ya. Just gotta hope for the best you know? I was shooting for Sidney Flanigan, but she even had less of a shot at the role I'm sure.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Shaking my head at people wanting Kaitlyn Dever for the role. If they started with part 2 then sure, but we've known for a long while that's not where this is starting.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what I have seen from her performances, I don't really see it. But it's interesting enough of a choice to make me curious to see what I'm missing that the casting director saw to make them choose her.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I haven't seen GoT or HDM but I'm sure they didn't look at those roles and just cast her from that. They certainly made her audition. And considering Druckmann is involved, I'd be shocked if he dropped the ball what is essentially his baby.

It's possible that in GoT and/or HDM she had poor directing or something like that. And FWIW a lot of people really liked her in GoT so.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Let's wait to see her actually acting as Ellie before passing judgment, shall we?

Also, this is an adaptation, not a 1:1 retelling of the story. People that are expecting to see a live action version of the exact same characters doing the exact same things than in the games will be really, really disappointed...

We can pass judgment on the fact that the producers couldn't be bothered to get an LGBT actress for an LGBT character.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
We can pass judgment on the fact that the producers couldn't be bothered to get an LGBT actress for an LGBT character.
She's like... 17? I'm queer and this comment is really uncomfortable to me. Queer people getting more roles in Hollywood doesn't mean actors should be forced to out themselves in order to do so. Especially people who aren't even adults yet.

Also like I don't think Ashley Johnson IDs as queer either so like...

May 7, 2020
Honestly not seeing it, but maybe it'll click when I do.

Little inappropriate to be speculating on underage girls' sexual orientations to say the very least though.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Do you remember what everyone said about Henry Cavill when prior the actual Witcher TV series coming out and many folks on this forum saying he would be completely unsuited for the role, and ultimately made a fantastic Geralt.

I think it's best to not assume anything at this point.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I've said this before, but I think John Hawkes would make for a great David.

MjxiKuX.jpg

Feels like ND already based the video game David on him anyway. But yeah — he's great, even though he might be typecast in that kind of role a little.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you remember what everyone said about Henry Cavill when prior the actual Witcher TV series coming out and many folks on this forum saying he would be completely unsuited for the role, and ultimately made a fantastic Geralt.

I think it's best to not assume anything at this point.
That was people judging entirely based off appearance, had nothing to do with his acting.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017

Not to mention what a snooze fest that would be.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, she'll probably be fine. But if she isn't good, hope people aren't dickheads about it like Jake Lloyd back in the day.