• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
XiCmQBr.png

I just finished watching season 2 and it was a fun ride. The show has great humor and the characters are well written, especially the main 5 as they each get their distinctive personalities that really stand out.

Chief among them is Fred (stupid sexy Fred!) who became my fav. character in the show. He's still the leader here but is given a fascination with traps and while he is a source of comic relief (some of the best in the show IMO), he is still given good focus on his character development throughout the entire show.

Scooby and Shaggy aren't mere cowards this time around and will rise to the occasion if it calls for it. Seriously do not piss off Scooby or threaten his friends.

The show follows the traditional Scooby Doo formula but builds up a myth arc throughout its 2 seasons. Each episode however puts great focus on the characterization of the main gang as they try to meddle solve the mystery and unmask the culprit. The show does have a few dark moments though
as characters DO DIE in this show.
The team behind the show really show their love and appreciation for the series, but what's even more awesome is the cameos from other HB series that are sprinkled throughout the show.

While I enjoyed the show for the most part, there were a few things that I disliked such as
Shaggy and Velma's relationship ending during Season 1, as I quite liked their relationship. Still the Velma and Marcy relationship was a neat direction and I rather liked her as a member of the gang, shame on them for getting rid of her!
Also the ending while understandable just didn't sit well with me, but hey everyone's happy...except Daphne's sisters who I wish we got to see more of in the main series. They would've made for a great Daphne-centric episode at least

Even if you're not a fan of the Scooby series, and with the basic knowledge of how the show works, I still recommend watching it as it's a great fun show throughout with some pretty neat humor ("Come on gang, into the abandoned factory! We'll be safe among all the dangerous machinery!") and the characterization is very well done. The supporting cast are also great and hilarious, esp. Sheriff Stone, voiced by Patrick Warburton.

DHARMA PUNX

Banned
Mar 22, 2018
I gave up after watching a few episodes. Seemed incredibly childish and not entertaining. The humor is incredibly simple and seems to be targeted towards very young kids. Does it get better over time?

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Seen a lot of it with my brothers. I loved the Char Gar Gothakon/Hatecraft episode.

Pretty cool that it had/has(?) an overarching plot.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is. It's the ONLY Scooby Doo I've ever liked. It has the best Velma, too.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I see threads like this popping up all the time for kid/teen shows that are getting nostalgia revivals and so on. They look so good on paper, but I can never get into them. They just feel so empty and soulless. I tried watching the new Duck Tales, but it's just fluff.

Oct 27, 2017
This ain't a kids show by time the endi rolls around.

Gotta keep saying, they knocked Fred's character out of the park with this one. Dude stole the show.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is the best Fred, Daphne, and Velma. Shaggy and Scooby are the same as ever though, no different from past incarnations really. I guess Scooby might be a tad braver.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up after watching a few episodes. Seemed incredibly childish and not entertaining. The humor is incredibly simple and seems to be targeted towards very young kids. Does it get better over time?
I don't think I could have a more opposite reaction. There was so much humor in this that I thought was for adults only.

Fred is 100% the best character but coming a close second is Patrick Warburton's police chief. That character was great. I like all of the iterations of these Scooby characters.

This isn't just a great version of Scooby Doo, this is one of the best animated series I've watched. Hands down.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wanted to like this show so much more than I did, but when they went hard in on the overarching plot stuff in the second season it just started to...fall flat for me
Gravity Falls had a super similar problem

Dec 26, 2017
One of the things I love about the humor in this show is that with Scooby himself, the joke isn't ever what he's saying, but the fact that the gang has a talking dog who attends classes with them and nobody thinks this is odd. There's even one episode where Scooby calls Velma on the phone and she's all annoyed, saying "You know I can't understand you over the phone!" as if everything else about the dog having a phone makes sense.

Also, the low-key best line in the whole thing is when Mayor Jones blurts out "By Grabthar's hammer, Fred!"

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I see threads like this popping up all the time for kid/teen shows that are getting nostalgia revivals and so on. They look so good on paper, but I can never get into them. They just feel so empty and soulless. I tried watching the new Duck Tales, but it's just fluff.

Mystery Inc is actually like 5 or 6 years old at this point. I rewatched a bit of it, and for the most part it holds up pretty well for me. It certainly isn't a truly complicated show, but it works as lite fare.

Oct 25, 2017
Huge Scooby Doo fan (I even really enjoy Be Cool) and this series was so great for an adult fan of the show who grew up watching the original. I would agree that the overarching mythology stuff in season 2 came a bit too hard and too fast making it a bit messy, but the show s a real gem. Fred was the best, though!

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely the best Scooby Doo anything. Great series.

The new Duck Tales sucks and is not at all comparable to this series.

I don't remember how the first few episodes were now, but it definitely does is about all I could say. The humor is mostly targeted at proper adults. Not that there isn't humor there for kids, but I can't see them getting most of the jokes in the series.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like its successor, Be Cool, Scooby Doo, but I'm probably one of the few people who liked it's humor.

Mystery Inc. never really appealed to me. Times I caught it, it seemed a bit serious for me at the time, and I'm not usually in the mood for that type of stuff. Plus the episodes I caught made it seem like Velma hated Scooby. It probably wasn't the case, but younger me wasn't having any of that.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it is. It's the ONLY Scooby Doo I've ever liked. It has the best Velma, too.
Some of the Scooby-Doo crossover movies are ironically good in their ridiculousness, like the first WWE one. I've also heard people say good things about that Zombie Island movie.

But I'm with you. This is the first time a Scooby-Doo series was legitimately good, interesting, and well-written.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Easily the best Scooby Doo show that has ever been created. Such a shame that they went to that Be Cool, Scooby Doo crap after it.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Scooby Doo show and an amazing cartoon mystery series.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
This was the only Scooby Doo animation I've liked. Well, this and the Zombie Island movie.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any show where Harlan Ellison plays himself and actually makes jokes about the fact he'll sue the shit out of you for infringing on his copyrights is incredible in my book.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the "Only Scooby-Doo show I've ever liked" camp.

And the under-the-radar queer Velma was great, shame that Legend of Korra got so much praise for its late in the game turn when Mystery Inc. did it first and better.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no idea how anyone on the creative team thought the Velma/Shaggy/Scooby subplot was a good idea, but thankfully they ditched it pretty early on.

Outside of that, it's a neat attempt to add some dramatics to the formula as produced by people who were obviously enormous fans, and it's... more successful at it than not. Feels like it would've benefited from a lower episode count and a tighter focus.

Any show where Harlan Ellison plays himself and actually makes jokes about the fact he'll sue the shit out of you for infringing on his copyrights is incredible in my book.
This is 100% correct however.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I have absolutely no idea how anyone on the creative team thought the Velma/Shaggy/Scooby subplot was a good idea, but thankfully they ditched it pretty early on.

Outside of that, it's a neat attempt to add some dramatics to the formula as produced by people who were obviously enormous fans, and it's... more successful at it than not. Feels like it would've benefited from a lower episode count and a tighter focus.

This is 100% correct however.
Agreed I did feel the show seemed to drag a bit at being 52 episodes sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite cartoons of all time, I loved the serialized mystery and characterization.

Absolutely loved the art to death as well.
345.619.B.051-OL-Posters.flt.jpg

345.603.C.040.jpg

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I never did dend up seeing it through to the end because I gave up cable after the first season... but damn what I saw was absolutely mind blowing. Cartoon Network needs to play it less safe with their revivals. This was a brilliant attempt at that. Fred has never had a better portrayal, trap fetishism and all.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Things I really like in scooby doo:

Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island
Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost
This show

Mystery Incorporated is just super fun

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
This was an amazing reboot and I loved how the art style was something like the old show but updated, sort of a retro look. I liked the original scooby doo shows, a lot actually, the Scrappy Doo show with Vincent Price was a particular guilty pleasure.

This show though? This was the evolution that the series needed, it keeps the spirit of the original show and characters while bringing them depth that I wasn't entirely sure was even possible with a property. They even ended it with a Lovecraftian ending and antagonist which I thought was particularly impressive.

The show is equal parts charming, mysterious, dramatic, and funny, the cast all give standout performances.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah it was pretty good. Definitely the best scooby thing after Zombie Island.

One thing I didn't care for was the 'monster' designs. Particularly clown baby. God that was the worst.