• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 357 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,583 87.9%

• Total voters

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
What defines belief? What if I'm firmly in the "maybe" category? No real evidence for, no real evidence against.

Jul 7, 2021
I feel like a lot of people want perfection in everything. Bug I've never seen it that way in regard to the new testament. Like, "Here be a guide folks." I don't blame the faith for the actions of the humans that do these actions For me its blaming the monsters that use religion and other things as an excuse to commit these acts. Its like saying that we should directly blame the idea of gymnastics for the actions of those that harmed gymnasts.

Well if gymnastics espoused that you should belief whatever this guy over here says this old book by bronze age sheepherders says is the word of God, not just without any evidence that this is true, but I'm fact contrary to a lot of evidence which says this is simply NOT so, and also said that this is not only a good thing but a praise worthy thing... well then I would feel the same way about gymnastics.

The moment you convince someone to toss aside reason and logic, it's easy to manipulate them.

Jun 22, 2019
It'd called agnosticism

Yeah, I'm asking where that fits on the "yes or no" god question. Like how would that have been counted in the poll, not really believing but open to the possibility?

defes2b-55c9f616-009f-4792-9798-e268ef07e539.png

Jul 7, 2021
Yeah, I'm asking where that fits on the "yes or no" god question. Like how would that have been counted in the poll, not really believing but open to the possibility?

I'm going to say no. Because this is what MOST people who say they are agnostic really think. Are you agnostic about invisible unicorns in your closet? I'm guessing you would say no. You probably mean to say that you see no evidence for a God? But that you are open to it existing if there is evidence.

This is the case, the defacto state for EVERYTHING, though, isn't it?

I'm sure you wouldn't say you are agnostic about vampires. You see no evidence for vanpires so you don't believe in vampires. But if you saw a pasty ass mother effer rise up from the grave, drink the blood of the grave digger and turn into a bunch of bats, I'm going to guess you'll starting believing in them.

Also as pointed above agnosticism is the belief that the question of God's existence is unknowable. Mind you most people are talking about a prime mover God and not YAHWH from the Bible, as th we re plenty of evidence he's not real.

Theism is whether you believe in him or not. You could be agnostic and a theist, or agnostic an an atheist.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally the definitions of the words.

The entire of point of calling yourself agnostic is that you don't want to claim anything definitively because it's impossible to know that kind of info. It's a stance that's meant to be indecisive and non specific so trying to break it down into specifics seems besides the point, if not outright going agaisnt. Mind you I don't think most people are actual agnostics but just trying to stay above the "fray" around that entire discussion so I find it even less important to break agnosticism into such specific sub groupings.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
I wonder what the break down of the 81% is. And is progressive Christianity growing faster than evangelicals and Christian Nationalism.

I hope it is

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era is an exhausting bubble when it comes to just about everything. Era is incredibly naive.
If Era's userbase was a representative slice of America as a whole there's no way I would come here and I'm sure that's true of many other users lol. It's more enjoyable to talk to somewhat like-minded people than those on a hopelessly different end of the ideological spectrum.

Jun 22, 2019
The entire of point of calling yourself agnostic is that you don't want to claim anything definitively because it's impossible to know that kind of info. It's a stance that's meant to be indecisive and non specific so trying to break it down into specifics seems besides the point, if not outright going agaisnt. Mind you I don't think most people are actual agnostics but just trying to stay above the "fray" around that entire discussion so I find it even less important to break agnosticism into such specific sub groupings.

You can think it's impossible to know (making you agnostic), but you'd still have a belief or a lack of a belief in god/s (also applies to specific gods, as many atheists are agnostic about a generic prime mover god, but gnostic about an abrahamic god for example).
Not sure how treating the words as they are defined (by the Greek roots in the words themselves no less) is supposed to be breaking anything into pedantic specifics or going against the "point." It was never a stealth shield for whether you're a theist or atheist, it's always been a clarification of certainty.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
If there is a god why the hell are they okay with children getting cancer? Or people just suffering all over the world? This is why I ultimately stopped believing. It's a shame the US hasn't realized this yet in a majority sense, but it'll get there eventually.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
God is supernatural therefore unfalsifiable. Though when you try to explain what that really means to most theists they'll think you're on their side, but they believe in an unseen space wizard so...

Nothing1016

Oct 25, 2017
California
If Era's userbase was a representative slice of America as a whole there's no way I would come here and I'm sure that's true of many other users lol. It's more enjoyable to talk to somewhat like-minded people than those on a hopelessly different end of the ideological spectrum.

I get that. I don't want posters spouting offensive takes either. But Era also creates an environment where posters are just inherently ignorant to various topics. I wish we knew Era's user demographics. I always assumed the 18-35 white male is the vast majority.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

That would be up to you. You can say yes or no.

If there is a god why the hell are they okay with children getting cancer? Or people just suffering all over the world? This is why I ultimately stopped believing. It's a shame the US hasn't realized this yet in a majority sense, but it'll get there eventually.

A god doesn't have to be benevolent.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
What even counts as god? Does it have to be some being with intelligence and consciousness, or can it just be some gigantic mass of energy or space worm that ignores our laws of physics and shits out newly created matter?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that. I don't want posters spouting offensive takes either. But Era also creates an environment where posters are just inherently ignorant to various topics. I wish we knew Era's user demographics. I always assumed the 18-35 white male is the vast majority.
I think its more like late 20's- 40's. I doubt there are many teenagers or early 20's posting on old school internet forums.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It is literally built into the creation myth that belief in God is tied to long-suffering.

This questions doesn't confuse anyone but the people asking it.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
What even counts as god? Does it have to be some being with intelligence and consciousness, or can it just be some gigantic mass of energy or space worm that ignores our laws of physics and shits out newly created matter?

It can be all of those things.

True! Now how many religious people believe in a non benevolent god are there? I'd wager it's nearly entirely non religious people like deists or spiritualists that actually believe their god isn't benevolent.

Agreed. But a benevolent god doesn't have to be benevolent to everyone necessarily.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've already been over why this is a terrible arguement that falls apart the moment you actually think about it at more than a surface level, so I'm not going to repeat my arguements on that one again in depth

If you want the short summary, it's that an omnipotent god can't justify means with ends because omnipotence inherently overrides basic causality and they can achieve any end through any means. So if they need suffering as a prerequisite for free will then they are necessarily not omnipotent

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
True! Now how many religious people believe in a non benevolent god are there? I'd wager it's nearly entirely non religious people like deists or spiritualists that actually believe their god isn't benevolent.

I think it depends on their view of "benevolent", like many think god sank the Titanic because it was challenged or something. Doesn't sound very good to me.

People believed the Greek and Nord gods were assholes at the time

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I've already been over why this is a terrible arguement that falls apart the moment you actually think about it at more than a surface level, so I'm not going to repeat my arguements on that one again in depth

If you want the short summary, it's that an omnipotent god can't justify means with ends because omnipotence inherently overrides basic causality and they can achieve any end through any means. So if they need suffering as a prerequisite for free will then they are necessarily not omnipotent

Wow, you've missed the part in the Bible that goes over the conversation that God the Father had with God the Son, where before He even created the universe he knew that ultimately he was going to have to sacrifice God the Son to abstain humans from sin.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stillbirths, floods, fires, cancer, and tornadoes happen to people of every conceivable faith. If a god is benevolent to anyone there will still be unnecessary suffering.
I'd argue that if a god is only benevolent to people constantly praising them, they're not a benevolent god, they're a tyrant regardless. And again if they're truly omnipotent than the existence of people who aren't praising them must be jntentional which means they're creating people who exist to suffer which is ducked up (also fun fact a defining feature of branches of Christianity that believe in predestination)

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just has to be a higher being, sometimes one capable of creation or which defies explanation in some notable manner.
No reason your space worm colony couldn't be a god.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you've missed the part in the Bible that goes over the conversation that God the Father had with God the Son, where before He even created the universe he knew that ultimately he was going to have to sacrifice God the Son to abstain humans from sin.
See, but this means he intended it to happen from the start. Because you literally can't say an omnipotent god has to do anythin, because that inherently violates the claims of omnipotence. If god doesn't have a choice, then they're not omnipotent

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

This, I deal with folks that don't question anything and live how they're told to live on a daily basis. When and where I have the power to avoid those people I will exercise it.

Sep 5, 2021
I think its more like late 20's- 40's. I doubt there are many teenagers or early 20's posting on old school internet forums.

www.resetera.com

ERA age, how old are you?

Just turned 50.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
See, but this means he intended it to happen from the start. Because you literally can't say an omnipotent god has to do anythin, because that inherently violates the claims of omnipotence. If god doesn't have a choice, then they're not omnipotent
Tri Omnis is why this god is particularly fucked in most theological discussions.

So God knew the apple would be eaten because he is all knowing but then cursed all of humanity despite being omni benevolent.

That's in the first couple of pages. There's plenty of times in the old testament where God just plain old doesn't know something is happening and it continues in the new testament as well.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
My parents were very hands off when I was growing up. They'd talk about god and I'd hear about heaven and such but none of it was ever drilled into my head at all so I mostly grew up agnostic and eventually became an atheist. I think? I believe in reincarnation and have since I was a kid, it's the only thing that makes sense to me because I definitely can't imagine life just stopping.
See things like this make no sense to me, when you die life does continue. You decompose and become apart of another animal, until that dies or get eaten. Hell the "self" constantly diea as our cells die off. I never understand why people have to add spirituality to the beauty of nature. It's all right in front of us.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
See things like this make no sense to me, when you die life does continue. You decompose and become apart of another animal, until that dies or get eaten. Hell the "self" constantly diea as our cells die off. I never understand why people have to add spirituality to the beauty of nature. It's all right in front of us.

It's largely because folks don't know what happens after death. Why would rebirth take away from the beauty of nature?