• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 357 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,583 87.9%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I said this enough last night but I don't mind clarifying again because I think people don't get what it was I was trying to say. That's probably partially on me because the wording of my post was mixed in with some frustration I've felt over the past two days here about how many threads we have that's mostly just people smugly mocking those different from them (accents, where they live, faith, etc.) and I've seen this exact thread prop up several times in the past few years and it always has the same kind of posts. There's always a few people who feel like they found this gaping wound in the concept of a deity and if they were able to present it to religious people it'd DESTROY THEM with FACTS and LOGIC.

So what I was trying to say was that this isn't actually how that would go down because this is one of the most talked about issues in all of religion. It's not the smoking gun people think it is. But by all means don't take my word for it. Post up in front of a church asking people to debate you on this subject and report back to me how it goes. I won't say I tried to warn you.

Disingenuous? Only when taken out of context and misunderstood, perhaps. This isn't what I was saying at all.
For one thing, I'm not the one who made this about atheists vs theists, the thread itself did that when it conflated all people who believe in a deity into one group and assigned them all Christianity by default. But also "atheists hold the same social status and power as christians" is completely unrelated to the topic that was being discussed when I made that comparison.

I was talking about the cycle of debate. The people who are convinced they can argue down someone from their belief.

This is a good example of what I was talking about originally though. Do you really think the people who read the Bible every day and believe it to be holy text haven't read the Old Testament? This is that attitude of "if you show them this single issue it'll destroy their argument" that ultimately leads to this conclusion of "show them the Bible and it'll convince them God isn't real". Like, come on. They OBVIOUSLY have an answer to this. It's the entire basis of the religion.

Anyway, that all aside, I'm not going to spend all day debating religion on here. I think people mostly wanted to use my post to have the actual argument they were initially talking about anyway and I'm not going to provide that. The last thing I'll say on this topic is that I think Jessi77 has a really good post on the last page. True separation of church and state is something that I think society desperately needs but we're not in a position to actively get it right now.
It absolutely IS a smoking gun.

If god is omnipotent and allows suffering, then by the very fact it is omnipotent it wouldn't NEED that suffering.

There is literally nothing in any bible that remedies this.

That doesn't mean god cannot exist, it just means that the ways some describe it cannot exist.

An omnipotent and loving god Is not a possibility.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It absolutely IS a smoking gun.

If god is omnipotent and allows suffering, then by the very fact it is omnipotent it wouldn't NEED that suffering.

There is literally nothing in any bible that remedies this.

That doesn't mean god cannot exist, it just means that the ways some describe it cannot exist.

An omnipotent and loving god Is not a possibility.
Yes exactly, a god who created a world in which infants can be stillborn is incompatible with a loving god and it has zero to do with "free will".

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I always wonder how many of those believers deep down are sure there is no god. For instance certain politicians who talk about god all the time but are completely evil and they just go on because they are sure they won't pay for their deeds. At least before god.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
That is an insanely high numer and I'm not surprised considering they have "In God We Trust" printed on their money.

It's funny seeing those guys walk off, like they didn't want their beliefs distorted because they think the Bible is the greatest thing in the world.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I always wonder how many of those believers deep down are sure there is no god. For instance certain politicians who talk about god all the time but are completely evil and they just go on because they are sure they won't pay for their deeds. At least before god.

I'm always confused about that as well, in Brazil it's very common for huge criminals to be evangelical... don't you believe in hell or you just don't care

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
jm1TAun.png

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is an insanely high numer and I'm not surprised considering they have "In God We Trust" printed on their money.

It's funny seeing those guys walk off, like they didn't want their beliefs distorted because they think the Bible is the greatest thing in the world.

Yo, only one guy walked off in that video. Everyone else agreed that it's fucked up.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Thos people are true believers and they think God is on their side.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Yo, only one guy walked off in that video. Everyone else agreed that it's fucked up.

Literally right after the guy who had his eyes hidden, is a guy saying "Well, I haven't got time right now.".

But I like that video because it shows that when it comes to teaching people about religion, those religious people tend to keep a lot out. Which is why it's fucked up. They pick and choose what they should preach.

Also OP: I think it'll go down over time, new generation growing up, while the older generation who believes in God will die out. not to say it'll go down to 0% but hopefully enough to where the people in power won't be religious fanatics.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
If this means the number of people voting for harmful Republican candidates drops, great, better for society in the near future.

But over time I've developed a nihilistic perspective on the universe that has lead me back around to thinking believers are the truly lucky ones. Having unwavering faith allows some religious people to live in a way I can no longer dream of.

People will tell me that's bad because it's built on a house of lies. But I don't care. If you go deep enough down the nihilist rabbit hole you realise attributing any meaning to anything is a "lie".

We will create a society with less hate if we no longer believe in God. But unless we steer people away from the fate I've encountered, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll create a happier world.

My opinion is that religion evolves in civilizations not just for control, but because people are desperate to create meaning.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
At no point did I state that humans require a theistic code of conduct, but it has actually has been researched and studied that religion does impact moral behavior (if I recall, the last study I remember reading concluded that it wasn't as much religion, but belief in an angry, punitive higher power and eternal damnation was a better predictor of more moral behavior than solely belief in religion).
This only means that those people aren't actually genuinely moral, but simply cowardly. Like a child who only does the right thing because they're afraid of punishment by their parents, rather than because it's the right thing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think "belief in god" is a bad thing, no need to bre depressed about that.

People using religion to justify awful things is bad.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I mean it's like that in most of the world
Cl85An0.jpg
You can "not believe in god" and be something that's not "a conviced atheist". In Spain for instance ppl who don't believe in god are up to a third of the population (more or less), while the percentage of atheist might remain in 5-9% according to that map (and according to the last CIS poll, the national Stadistcs Institute, it is upt to 14%).

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I believe in God but I absolutely understand why the percentage of believers is on the decline. The amount of brokenness and evil in the world combined with the outright failure (and evil) of many churches and organized religions would be enough to make anyone stop believing.

Jun 17, 2019
I believe in God but I absolutely understand why the percentage of believers is on the decline. The amount of brokenness and evil in the world combined with the outright failure (and evil) of many churches and organized religions would be enough to make anyone stop believing.

I feel like a lot of people want perfection in everything. Bug I've never seen it that way in regard to the new testament. Like, "Here be a guide folks." I don't blame the faith for the actions of the humans that do these actions For me its blaming the monsters that use religion and other things as an excuse to commit these acts. Its like saying that we should directly blame the idea of gymnastics for the actions of those that harmed gymnasts.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know the funny thing is, as Religion falls, up rises believing in the paranormal. 57% of people in the states and around 40% of people in the UK alone believe in ghosts, or spirits. 8% believe that vampires are among us and 5% belive that werewolves are real.

people.com

57 Percent of Americans Believe in Ghosts — and Many Think There's Paranormal Activity in Their Home

Americans are getting candid about just which spooky beings they believe exist as Halloween draws near

www.usatoday.com

2 in 5 Americans believe ghosts are real and 1 in 5 say they've seen one, survey says

A survey conducted by YouGov found that 2 in 5 Americans believe ghosts exist, while 1 in 5 say they've actually seen a ghost.

www.nytimes.com

Norway Has a New Passion: Ghost Hunting (Published 2015)

Belief in ghosts has been around for centuries, but they have now found a particularly strong following in highly secular modern countries like Norway.

www.statista.com

Paranormal beliefs in Britain, by age 2017 | Statista

This statistic shows the share of British adults who believe in ghosts, ghouls or other types of paranormal activity in 2017, by age group.
We got a new coworker a few months ago and she says she can see spirits. And people's auras. Like for example she and another coworker were in public together and the other coworker told me she advised them to turn around because the person in front of them had an evil aura.

That same other coworker and her were together once and she said she encountered the spirit of the other coworker's partner who had passed a few years ago, and that she described her absolutely perfectly despite never being told any details of her appearance or personality, etc. So the other coworker's convinced.

I guess ya can never fully know what's going on in someone else's perception or what's real. Very odd situation to be told about.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
you don't have to

just like I said and im fairly sure on this particular subject there is room wild ass opinions because nobody has answers
You do have to.

There is literally no argument you could make otherwise..

No loving god, with unlimited power, would create suffering. There would literally be no need for it. With unlimited power, then whatever this design is for it could be designed another way without suffering with the EXACT same result.

It absolutely cannot be both omnipotent and loving.

It could be powerful and loving, yes, but not omnipotent.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You do have to.

There is literally no argument you could make otherwise..

No loving god, with unlimited power, would create suffering. There would literally be no need for it. With unlimited power, it could be designed another way with the EXACT same result.

It absolutely cannot be both omnipotent and loving
it could happen

I cant write it off. There is definitely a possibility this is how it is. Just like any other possibility because we don't know.

its not an argument that I think its how it is im just saying that anyone who says they know personally anything about the details of said creator is giving opinions

so omnipotent and loving is on the table...as is the rest

Jun 22, 2019
You can "not believe in god" and be something that's not "a conviced atheist". In Spain for instance ppl who don't believe in god are up to a third of the population (more or less), while the percentage of atheist might remain in 5-9% according to that map (and according to the last CIS poll, the national Stadistcs Institute, it is upt to 14%).

An atheist is literally just someone who lacks belief in god/s.

If a third of people don't believe in a god that's an atheist third.

Also as an aside, atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive and that's been outlined online since the dawn of the internet and yet somehow tons of people still don't get it. Like being an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist is a thing (opposed to being a gnostic atheist or gnostic theist). People just constantly refuse to actually learn what the words mean from some reason.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
it could happen

I cant write it off. There is definitely a possibility this is how it is. Just like any other possibility because we don't know.

its not an argument that I think its how it is im just saying that anyone who says they know personally anything about the details of said creator is giving opinions
You do understand what true omnipotence is, right? The ability to create and do literally anything.

If god had that power, then there is literally no need for suffering, pain, babies dying of cancer, etc... That is what true omnipotence is.

If god is omnipotent, then it chooses to include these things when it doesn't need to. And that cannot be a loving god.

It might be indifferent, it doesn't need to be outright hateful, but it cannot be both truly omnipotent AND loving. It just can't.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You do understand what true omnipotence is, right? The ability to create and do literally anything.

If god had that power, then there is literally no need for suffering, pain, babies dying of cancer, etc... That is what true omnipotence is.

If god is omnipotent, then it chooses to include these things when it doesn't need to. And that cannot be a loving god.
no I get that

all im trying to say is that it is a possibility this creator can interject and stop bad things but doesn't by choice

all the while being a loving god

it could happen I think......its fucked and I get it but its just like all the other opinions and this is one of infinity possibilities

im just sticking with the whole "humans are not that smart in the grand scheme" and anything even if it doesn't make much sense is possible

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I feel like a lot of people want perfection in everything. Bug I've never seen it that way in regard to the new testament. Like, "Here be a guide folks." I don't blame the faith for the actions of the humans that do these actions For me its blaming the monsters that use religion and other things as an excuse to commit these acts. Its like saying that we should directly blame the idea of gymnastics for the actions of those that harmed gymnasts.
I agree that's it's probably unfair to desire perfection in everything but the church/organized religion has a long history. Specifically, it has a long history of hurting a lot of people, pushing questionable beliefs/practices, and being very exclusive. That's not to say there aren't really good faith communities out there that care about others but they aren't as visible. It's the mega-churches and televangelists (for example) that do a ton of harm and have a lot of visibility.

It may not be fair but I think this is why people walk away from any type of faith or religious belief: the most vocal and visible of those groups end up being really bad people.

I've still retained my faith I Jesus but I did walk away from a church that I had attended for over 10 years and it's because the people in charge pushed some really terrible beliefs and their treatment of others in the workplace was (from what I was told) very bad. How you can you clams to follow Jesus and simultaneously create a toxic workplace?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
no I get that

all im trying to say is that it is a possibility this creator can interject and stop bad things but doesn't by choice
Ok... so if it chooses to not interject when there is literally no reason for it to not - as any result it wants it could literally create without any of this - then it is allows suffering because it WANTS to, not NEEDS to.

A god that does that cannot, abssolutely cannot, be loving.

Give it up, there is no reasoning with people who think in platitudes and thought-terminating clichés.
I know.... I usually ignore it, sometimes it gets to me.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Ok... so if it chooses to not interject when there is literally no reason for it to not - as any result it wants it could literally create without any of this - then it is allows suffering because it WANTS to, not NEEDS to.

A god that does that cannot, abssolutely cannot, be loving.

I know.... I usually ignore it, sometimes it gets to me.
probably reasons not to

reasons we cant comprehend

shit like that

Jun 22, 2019
You do understand what true omnipotence is, right?

You realize omnipotence is an inherently contradictory concept, right? Like omnipotent things can't exist cause the concept itself is self-refuting by definition.

You don't have to worry about what an omnipotent god would do cause the entire concept of an omnipotent being makes no sense.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
True omnioptence means there is literally no reason it would need to.
doesn't omnioptence just mean all powerful and can do anything

right

I dunno.....an almighty creator who has infinite power chooses to be an absentee landlord

I think its a possibility.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
doesn't omnioptence just mean all powerful and can do anything

right
And you're not really grasping what that means...

You realize omnipotence is an inherently contradictory concept, right? Like omnipotent things can't exist cause the concept itself is self-refuting by definition.

You don't have to worry about what an omnipotent god would do cause the entire concept of an omnipotent being makes no sense.

Right, but we're talking hyperthetically... about a god. Which makes no "sense" either.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
no I get that

all the while being a loving god

it could happen I think......its fucked and I get it but its just like all the other opinions and this is one of infinity possibilities

im just sticking with the whole "humans are not that smart in the grand scheme" and anything even if it doesn't make much sense is possible
Nah, the issue is that you can't justify an omnipotent's actions on the basis of cause and effect, because causality is meaningless before omnipotence. Any purpose that can be achieved by suffering, can by definition be achieved by an infinite number of other means by an omnipotent entity. So for suffering to exist in the presence of an omnipotent being, it means it can't actively dislike suffering. Because anything it actively dislikes, would not happen, because it wouldn't let it happen. An option that goes counter to the will of an omnipotent being can't happen, full stop, because for it to happen the omnipotent being would have to be actively going against their own will, which is absurd