• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing that the grain elevator (tall white structure) mostly survived. Those shorter buildings are just demolished.

Mar 10, 2018
This is senseless. I hope that casualties are at a minimum, and that any family/friends currently living near this area are ok.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Interior minister speaking to Murr Television Lebanon says ammonium nitrate was being stored there

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/aug/04/beirut-explosion-huge-blast-port-lebanon-capital

Makes sense.

If it's a farming port with grain storage, they'll use ammonium nitrate as fertilizers too. One in, the other one out, as obviously the process is a cycle.

However, you don't generally want to store it near flammable things or it'll be at risk of explosion as the energy stored in the chemical is high and is exceptionally volatile by requirement so crops can access the nitrogen cheaply in terms of energy cost to the plants.

Put lots in a concentration, and ignite and it'll go up. Tianjin was exactly this, a primary explosion of dried nitrocellulose causing a store of ammonium nitrate to explode and this looks to be incredibly similar.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Explosion happen around 400m in front of me, I was in a cab getting back from work, my co worker with me, our road home takes us past Port of Beirut into Downtown and upwards.

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosive. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

Less than a minute later, smashed cars, bloodied people, babies. We walked back home through Gemayze which is near the port, it's a freaking war zone.

I lived through two Israeli wars and no airstrike does this amount of damage, the whole of Beirut is ruined.

This is after the explosion in 30 minutes, the epicenter at the port.

Omg what a scary thing to witness.

Glad you're safe 😮

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Damn that shockwave was really really destructive. I think probably every windows in 1-2km radius was blown away.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Uhm, click them?
1Z0UbRh.png

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Explosion happen around 400m in front of me, I was in a cab getting back from work, my co worker with me, our road home takes us past Port of Beirut into Downtown and upwards.

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosion. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

Less than a minute later, smashed cars, bloodied people, babies. We walked back home through Gemayze which is near the port, it's a freaking war zone.

I lived through two Israeli wars and no airstrike does this amount of damage, the whole of Beirut is ruined.

This is 30 minutes after the explosion, the epicenter at the port.

I'm glad you're OK.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And? Do you think people are the least bit aware of what "MiddleEastEye" is here? This is an America-centric forum. And I didn't intend it to be specific to you, but the thread as a whole. Yours was just the most recent to give news. This guy is referencing what seems to be a mainstream source in Lebenon, but with the number of tweets from random sources that occur in these threads, it's ridiculous to expect people to click on their tweet, click their name, google the outlet they work for and/or whatever source they're referencing, and figure out if they're legit. It's far more helpful to write a couple sentences when you post.

I think it's a reasonable request.
sir, this is a wendys

it's an internet forum and people are shocked, make some effort yourself - we all read stuff in your language. this is a tragedy and it's insensitive to lecture people.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
And? Do you think people are the least bit aware of what "MiddleEastEye" is here? This is an America-centric forum. And I didn't intend it to be specific to you, but the thread as a whole. Yours was just the most recent to give news. This guy is referencing what seems to be a mainstream source in Lebenon, but with the number of tweets from random sources that occur in these threads, it's ridiculous to expect people to click on their tweet, click their name, google the outlet they work for and/or whatever source they're referencing, and figure out if they're legit. It's far more helpful to write a couple sentences when you post.

I think it's a reasonable request.

I don't know why people are rounding on him. The tweet is a quote from an official, one that was also reported by other outlets. Here's someone from the AP:

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
There were definitely still people nearby

Fucking hell, they are right next to the explosion. I hope that they sharing the video means that they survived. Unbeliable.

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosion. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

Holy fuck, that must have been terrifiying. Glad that you are ok. I can't imagine seeing your city like that, it must feel completely surreal.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that's not fireworks that explosion had a Shockwave and cloud like a hydrogen bomb or something of the like.

Fireworks can indeed make a huge ass explosion like this

but it looks like the fireworks fire was the ignition source for something else that really shouldnt have been stored nearby

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Makes sense.

If it's a farming port with grain storage, they'll use ammonium nitrate as fertilizers too. One in, the other one out, as obviously the process is a cycle.

However, you don't generally want to store it near flammable things or it'll be at risk of explosion as the energy stored in the chemical is high and is exceptionally volatile by requirement so crops.can access the nitrogen cheaply in terms of energy cost to the plants.

Put lots in a concentration, and ignite and it'll go up. Tianjin was exactly this, a primary explosion of dried nitrocellulose causing a store of ammonium nitrate to explode and this looks to be incredibly similar.

The word is that Nitrate was offloaded and not ours, it was put in storage in area where confiscated materials are stored, then neglected for 10 years.

Incompetence and corruption killed us today.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

Glad you're alive. Holy shit

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Beirut city officials are criminally negligent. They need to be held liable for this.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The damage from that shockwave is insane. It looks like it just blew through buildings in some cases. I really hope it's mostly property damage that the city has to deal with, but I know it's going to be so much worse than that as the story develops.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I dont remember seeing any video of it but this reminds me of the explosion in West, TX. Fertilizer plant exploded and destroyed a huge chunk of the town.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
those videos are horrifying

I wonder how many people just thought it was the start of a war or some shit.

Hope casualties are low

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Damn that shockwave was really really destructive. I think probably every windows in 1-2km radius was blown away.
20 km away, my friends are living outside beirut and their windows were broken.
Central beirut is devastated.
No one will be held accountable as usual.
Fuck my politicians.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Saw this on twitter. Ethiopian maid grabbed and saved a little girl when the shockwave hit.

Jul 18, 2018
Fucking hell, they are right next to the explosion. I hope that they sharing the video means that they survived. Unbeliable.
Even if the person survived, they basically are going to have permanent damage to their body. Don't want to imagine what it will be, however they are an idiot for even bothering to video tape it.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
people are trying to help in the streets but apparently the smoke contains nitric acid and is toxic as hell...

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
sir, this is a wendys

it's an internet forum and people are shocked, make some effort yourself - we all read stuff in your language. this is a tragedy and it's insensitive to lecture people.
I didn't intend to "lecture", no one is doing anything intentionally wrong and I didn't intend to start an argument. I'll stop talking about it though to not distract. I should've just messaged the mods, but was frustrated at the amount of very contradictory and misinformation being posted. I'll go back and delete my comments so people stop quoting me cluttering up the thread.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's a doorbell/security camera video of it at night. It was just a green light that filled up the sky.

So this was 2013 in West, TX about an hour and a half south of DFW, a fire was started near the plant (arson, I dont believe they figured out who it was). Fifteen people died. Looks pretty similar also a fertilizer plant.

www.youtube.com

Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion Caught on Video

A deadly explosion at the West Fertilizer Co. late Wednesday was captured on video by a man and his daughter who were watching the plant on fire from 300 yar...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of destruction by the shockwave alone is crazy. Horrible thing to happen

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
What did the people of the Near East geography do to deserve this state of affairs...is our region to be forever condemned...

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
So this was 2013 in West, TX about an hour and a half south of DFW, a fire was started near the plant (arson, I dont believe they figured out who it was). Fifteen people died. Looks pretty similar also a fertilizer plant.

www.youtube.com

Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion Caught on Video

A deadly explosion at the West Fertilizer Co. late Wednesday was captured on video by a man and his daughter who were watching the plant on fire from 300 yar...
Oh right... West, Texas... Not West Texas

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are rounding on him. The tweet is a quote from an official, one that was also reported by other outlets. Here's someone from the AP:

I just picked the wrong tweet to make my request. That's on me. I'm deleting to stop the quotes cluttering up the thread.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
This is so horrifying. With the right amount stored in the wrong location, it doesn't really matter if it's weapons or chemicals.
I am sure most people who worked there didn't even know this stuff was around them and something like that could happen.

Tragic and avoidable :(

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Well silos can store hundreds to thousands of tons, so 50 tons aren't really a lot, amount wise. Why they stored explosive Ammonium Nitrate near populated areas is the problem.

For comparison Oklahoma City was 2 tons of ammonium nitrate. So this would be like 25 of those trucks going off at the same time.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Jesus, that's terrifying.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Wow this is absolutely terrifying and devastating, can't even fathom what's going right now over there. :(

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't something similar happen in China a few years ago? Crazy stuff.