• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit :(

Those taller buildings in the distance look heavily damaged, I can't even imagine what it looks like closer.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Mother of god, those post-explosion videos are heartbreaking.

If anyone comes across a reliable way to donate to help, please post it in this thread so myself and others can send money their way.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I noticed many people thinking that "Fireworks cannot create an explosion like that"

You have to remember that a factory has several processes and unfinished product and prime material that are vastly different to the finished fireworks. The nature of what they produce has little to do with how dangerous or explosive the whole production process is.

A sugar factory can create insane dust explosions where product particles ignite and liberate energy, for example.

That said, I've never seen a fireworks factory. But I'd wait a bit before doubting the official reports.

One thing is for sure, expect reports of negligence and lack of oversight to come to light in the coming months. An explosion like this rarely happens without warning signs.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, crazy amount of damage in buildings even in the interior hallways away from windows. I have a feeling there will be lots of injuries from broken glass.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested in seeing how this started if it was caused by fire at the factory - wouldn't a factory like this have huge safeguards in place to prevent something like this occurring?

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I'm shaken from watching these, I can't even imagine how it must feel like for those who live there or know people who live there. I'm so sorry for all who are affected.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
I noticed many people thinking that "Fireworks cannot create an explosion like that"

You have to remember that a factory has several processes and unfinished product that are vastly different than the finished fireworks. The nature of what they produce has little to do with how dangerous or explosive the whole production process is.

A sugar factory can create insane dust explosions where product particles ignite and liberate energy, for example.

That said, I've never seen a fireworks factory. But I'd wait a bit before doubting the official reports
Here is what happened to a Dutch neighborhood where a fireworks was stored back in 2001.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Very interested in seeing how this started if it was caused by fire at the factory - wouldn't a factory like this have huge safeguards in place to prevent something like this occurring?
Of course, but there were safeguards in Fukushima, and on the Titanic, and on every leaking oil tanker.
Whether it's human error or bad luck (and we really shouldn't speculate at this point), huge safeguards fail all the time.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Fireworks and their associated chemicals are inherently dangerous and safeguards can only do so much. The only 'safe' way to make them is to have the factories well outside of populated areas.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, crazy amount of damage in buildings even in the interior hallways away from windows. I have a feeling there will be lots of injuries from broken glass.

This will be worse with people evidently people what they thought was 'merely' a large fire, and not the prelude to... this. So they'll have gone to the windows curious to see what happens

One of the above videos demonstrates a frustrating aspect of this - even in the seconds after the visible explosion, some won't have the first instinct to back away from the windows immediately since they're just not familiar with the risk, or in a state of puzzled shock which then becomes outright fear for their life

One of the big worries I have is gonna be for people driving on roads nearby. One of the earlier vids shows a lot of traffic driving by that could easily get knocked over by that blast

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

You have to remember that a factory has several processes and unfinished product and prime material that are vastly different to the finished fireworks. The nature of what they produce has little to do with how dangerous or explosive the whole production process is.

That said, I've never seen a fireworks factory. But I'd wait a bit before doubting the official reports.

One thing is for sure, expect reports of negligence and lack of oversight to come to light in the coming months. An explosion like this rarely happens without warning signs.

Here in the Netherlands a fireworks warehouse exploded in 2000. It leveled almost a city block. So yes, even a simple 'storage warehouse / depot'' can create a massive explosion.

big explosion is at 1:30:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Here is what happened to a Dutch neighborhood where a fireworks was stored back in 2001.

But a storage of finished fireworks is hardly the same as a factory that produces them.

You don't know if there were pressurized containers,explosive raw materials or solvents that are used during the process and later eliminated.

Until we know exactly what they were doing in that factory, it's too early to say "Fireworks can't create that kind of explosions"

Maybe not, but they could've ignited something far more dangerous, explosive and pressurized that is part of the process. It's best to wait for the full details and worry about the victims first.

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks 2020, what a year ... this is just terrible...my condolences to all the affected. The saddest thing about this is all the speculation I see around the internet or hear in the phone interviews (talking about jets etc.).

I mean you can even see smaller explosions similar to the videos from the netherlands.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The initial fire was from a fireworks warehouse/factory in the process of exploding. It seems to have ignited something in the building next door, which has been speculated/unconfirmed reports was storage for ammonium nitrate, which could absolutely account for the main explosion.
That seems infinitely more likely than an exclusively fireworks-fueled explosion. I can absolutely believe the initial fire occurred at a fireworks supplier. But that second explosion is not at all what I think anyone expects from that.