• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

In 2017 Nursiman Abdureshid was living in Turkey with her three year old daughter Zahra.

She would regularly call home to China so her parents knew all about their granddaughter's latest developments. They were conversations of love and excitement.

And then they stopped. The phone wasn't answered.

Nursiman's brothers didn't answer either. The whole family vanished.

www.itv.com

'After Nazi Germany the world said never again, but it is' | ITV News

Nursiman Abdureshid, an Uighur Muslim living in China, says the world is repeating that which it promised to never do or see again. | ITV National News

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Its obvious the majority of the western world doesn't care that the CCP are just vile pieces of shit.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
please keep this bumped, people need to fcking see it. there's only so much bandwidth, but this is a crime against humanity on a huge scale

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Who would have predicted that after the Holocaust, concentration camps and ethnic cleansing in another region could be excused by capitalism. That no country that has monetary investments with CCP would intervene in a human crisis.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It's been open season against muslims for the past 20 years or so. Islamophobia is widely accepted everywhere. Watch in 30-40 years, these same people will also say "never again" about the treatment that muslims faced and talk about how much they helped them when in reality they didn't do shit.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Please keep posting about this. People need to see the horrors that are currently happening in China.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's things like this that make it really hard to reconcile my anti-military, anti-interventionist feelings. Like, I see what is going on and it's obviously horrible. No question. But what do we do? Do we kick down their door with armed forces and start a war that is undoubtedly going to end badly for everyone? I look back on things like the Rwandan genocide the same way. We could have done something, but is it the best thing to send in the US military and just start a war? I think extreme economic sanctions are needed but no one in power in the US seems to have any willingness to do it.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt the world pretty indifferent to the Jewish plight in Germany before they Nazis decided to attack other countries? I feel like the world powers would only act if China made an aggressive move outside their recognized borders. The pathetic thing is we cant even bring about any sanctions. As long as money keeps rolling in, the rest of the world will look the other way while a genocide takes place.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of every shitty thing going on in the world right now, this one leaves me feeling the most powerless to do anything about it. There always seemed to be this idea that if another holocaust took place, countries around the world would just rise up and stop it. Clearly that thought was naive. Fuck.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike Germany nobody is at war with China and I can't seem them being overthrown anytime soon. This will keep going and getting worse for who knows how long.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the world said never again, and then kinda ignored the 30 other genocides that happened since.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Never again was a nice thing people could tell themselves. Reality definitely has been the world standing by saying the same shit happen over and over and it's so wrong

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Not just economically but because China is a nuclear power they can do what they want.

ShadowFlare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one would have stopped Hitler if he didn't go around invading other countries. It's terrifying to think that China will succeed in their plans unless the whole world gets together to put a stop to this.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tragic. Can't imagine how it must be to live not knowing where your family is. Not knowing if they are even alive.

Fuck the Chinese government and all its supporters.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
After Nazi Germany the world said never again

Considering we absorbed a large part of the Nazi leadership after the war, ignored Holocaust news (with some people like Allen Dulles purposely delaying news about the Holocaust from reaching us), ignored refugees, and had a wealthy elite that supported or was tied in with the Nazis (Prescott Bush among others)... yeah no. This will happen again. And has happened since 1945.

Jul 9, 2019
Wasnt the world pretty indifferent to the Jewish plight in Germany before they Nazis decided to attack other countries?

I'd even go further and say that the Allies didn't enter the war to protect the European Jews but because Germany attacked other countries. The world leaders didn't care much for Germany's nationalism, the USA interned thousands of Japanese people.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I'd even go further and say that the Allies didn't enter the war to protect the European Jews but because Germany attacked other countries. The world leaders didn't care much for Germany's nationalism, the USA interned thousands of Japanese people.
Yep, Jews were facing oppression in Nazi Germany long before allied rallied against them. Aryanization had begun very early on and it wasn't a secret. Long as China doesn't go starting wars they can do pretty much what they want.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt the world pretty indifferent to the Jewish plight in Germany before they Nazis decided to attack other countries? I feel like the world powers would only act if China made an aggressive move outside their recognized borders. The pathetic thing is we cant even bring about any sanctions. As long as money keeps rolling in, the rest of the world will look the other way while a genocide takes place.

Pretty much. While other countries generally weren't aware of he extent of the Holocaust, they knew about concentration camps and that it was happening. Plus a huge chunk of the world was openly anti semitic so that didn't help.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The Allies didn't care about the Jews. Who thought that they would care about Muslims after demonizing them for the entirety of the 21st century?

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the Nazis forced everyone's hand when they started invading other countries, if the had kept their genocide in their own country like China is doing right now who knows if anyone would have cared to stop them.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It more demonstrates that nobody would have bothered to stop Hitler had he focused just on German Jews and not launched World War II.

Like if China invaded Kazakhstan on the pretext of "security against the Muslim threat" or something, that would see the world stand up, but no-one's going to do more than protest if they keep it within their own borders.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never again was a nice thing people could tell themselves. Reality definitely has been the world standing by saying the same shit happen over and over and it's so wrong
iu

Sad but true.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
it breaks my heart that I can't do anything to help with this.

You try to spread awareness of it and it seems most people are aware already, but in that same boat of "what can I do?"

Every country bowing down to China is scary

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Pretty much. While other countries generally weren't aware of he extent of the Holocaust, they knew about concentration camps and that it was happening. Plus a huge chunk of the world was openly anti semitic so that didn't help.
Honest question: was the level of anti-semitism pre-World War 2 as high and as widespread as the level of anti-Islam sentiment is today? Obviously Hitler was able to tap into and foment a pre-existing xenophobia, and there are clearly parallels between that and what's happening in a lot of the world at the moment.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: was the level of anti-semitism pre-World War 2 as high and as widespread as the level of anti-Islam sentiment is today?

I remember seeing a poll that said Americans are more welcoming of Syrian refugees today then they were of German Jews during WW2. Not sure if that's a reliable barometer but I think it's an indication of how bad it was at the time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
it breaks my heart that I can't do anything to help with this.

You try to spread awareness of it and it seems most people are aware already, but in that same boat of "what can I do?"

Every country bowing down to China is scary
Me personally I'm going to boycott products that are made in labor camps from China. Even next gen consoles. We need to apply pressure to companies that is the only way to get something out of CCP, seeing all other countries governments have their balls in a jar over this.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Honest question: was the level of anti-semitism pre-World War 2 as high and as widespread as the level of anti-Islam sentiment is today? Obviously Hitler was able to tap into and foment a pre-existing xenophobia, and there are clearly parallels between that and what's happening in a lot of the world at the moment.

You had the German American Bund in the US at the time

anightatthegarden.com

A Night at the Garden

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
The silence from Muslim countries is deafening.
Pakistan, I sort of understand due to their blood feud with India, but the others are absolutely disgusting.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The silence from Muslim countries is deafening.
Pakistan, I sort of understand due to their blood feud with India, but the others are absolutely disgusting.

We can see with Israel-Palestine that the corrupt leadership of many Muslim-majority countries like the Gulf Monarchies only care about wealth and power. Going beyond that for the more democratic ones like Pakistan or Indonesia, yeah, nobody wants to piss off China. They're too integrated to the global economy.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's things like this that make it really hard to reconcile my anti-military, anti-interventionist feelings. Like, I see what is going on and it's obviously horrible. No question. But what do we do? Do we kick down their door with armed forces and start a war that is undoubtedly going to end badly for everyone? I look back on things like the Rwandan genocide the same way. We could have done something, but is it the best thing to send in the US military and just start a war? I think extreme economic sanctions are needed but no one in power in the US seems to have any willingness to do it.
We could pursue diplomatic solutions, but the US and Europe don't seem very interested in doing that, they just want to war hawk using the oppression of Uighurs as a scapegoat. There is something fiercely ironic about a bunch of nations who oppressed Muslims in their own country and killed Muslims in other countries pretending to care about Muslims in China all of a sudden.

Extreme economic sanctions would probably destroy the global economy, the economies of the US, European nations, Japan, South Korea, China, and developing states like India, Pakistan, etc. are all far too intertwined for that to be feasible on a broad scale, which is why even the people who are war hawking using China are not proposing them.

I'm not sure what we do outside of utilizing diplomacy to attempt to persuade the government not to oppress the Uighurs. In order to do that successfully, we would need to make significant headway on dismantling our own systems of oppression. It's depressing because I don't think this is likely.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
The world (aka the West) didn't care about the Armenians, Kurds, Indians, Rwanda, Congo, Ukrainians, Irish, Bosnians, Palestinians, people of Yemen, or even the 60 million people that died in the great leap forward.

"Never Again" has always been a cute term for white people to cry to while ignoring everything going on around them. 8 of those genocides I mentioned about were even supported by the West through either weapons trade or direct involvement; the rest were simply ignored while they went on.

My main point is, the term has never had any meaning in the first place. We could start to care now, but considering the absolute apathy most western people have to those that arent western I don't see anything changing sadly.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After Nazi Germany the world said never again
People forget that most countries only started giving a shit about the Holocaust after Germany started its military expansion. And even after that most people didn't really care about what was happening to the Jewish people until we saw photos of the concentration camps.

If we want the government to do something we need to change society itself and that shit isn't happening for at least two more generations if it ever happens at all.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Muslim countries have ignored Palestine for the better part of a century so it's not surprising they are ignoring the Uighurs too.
Yep

The kurds have have a rough go of it to say the least as well. This century has been particularly hard on Muslims. Makes me wonder how the plight of the Rohingya is seen in the middle east as well.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
this will be the shame of our generation. People in the future will look at us and think "how the fuck did you let this happen?".
We're weak cowards, the west.
Fuck. Fucking fuck. What can I even do