• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
To be clear, I have an Xbox One X, a PS4, a Switch and an older PC. I have a 4K TCL TV from a couple years ago. I am not doing poorly by any means but the people on this forum really get to me man. To be fair I know only one person in real life who got a PS5, the rest couldn't care less really.
Are you able to save money to buy it later ?

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Less people have the console than do. You're in the majority. Focus on what you have, not what you dont.

Learn to be happy now, dont wait for this imaginary moment of riches and prosperity. Appreciate yourself and your life.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I haven't been able to get a new console and probably won't until next year.
Honestly, that's more of a good thing. Buying brand-new hardware is often as much of a gamble as it is an investment. Early Xbox 360 models, for instance, were infamously plagued with red-ring errors, and I've already seen quite a few horror stories about both new consoles.

Take your time, wait, and save up. The FOMO is mostly a product of marketing. Over time, however, consoles will get cheaper, have better hardware, more stable firmware, and likely will even receive a new model (smaller, more SSD space, etc.) if you're patient enough. Not to mention a lot of the launch-era games will be dirt cheap by then too!

Speaking of games: these days it's usually a good idea to wait on them as well. Buying an unpatched $70 game on day 1 is a really unattractive prospect compared to waiting ~4-8 months and picking up the fully-patched, all-DLC-included edition for <$30.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
The more you wait, the better the technology will get, I'm sure next year the OLEDs might get even brighter, you might even get it cheaper both the tv and the consoles, also the games will be less expensive and in the end you will be enjoying the same great games some people are playing now, but with the updates that will make those games better.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's normal to feel bad because of reporting bias. It's like the income threads that are seemingly full of people who make 100k or more. The people who are well off or lucky are more likely to talk about it, so it's easy to feel like everyone is richer and luckier than you.

For each person who spends like five digits on games per year, there are probably countless others who buy like one or two games a year, or less.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
You don't NEED some OLED with a PS5 to match.

I know it sucks but it's not a NEED and I get feeling down about it when coming here but you'll get there. In the meantime use what you have . There's no rush ....really there is no rush.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I have an Xbox One X, a PS4, a Switch and an older PC. I have a 4K TCL TV from a couple years ago. I am not doing poorly by any means but the people on this forum really get to me man. To be fair I know only one person in real life who got a PS5, the rest couldn't care less really.
Compared to most people, having 3 consoles, a PC and 4K TV would be far from missing out. I'd say you have more coverage than most Resetera Members.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Stick to the hangouts thread and check out Reddit patient gamers.
There's no reason to feel bad you aren't getting the latest stuff. Latest doesn't mean greatest. There's so many great games out there even on systems from generations ago.
Might be time to start learning to appreciate all games and gaming as a hobby and not something that stresses you out.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
No worries OP. I remember in 2006, I was in college, and the only money I had was from a low wage student work study job. The PS3 got announced for $500-600. I couldn't buy one until the stripped down $400 model showed up a year or so later. However the bright side was that at the start of a new gen, there are so many cheap games available from the last gen. I picked up so many PS2 titles that I would have otherwise missed out on because I would have been playing the new gen stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I know it's hard to convince yourself of this when you want something, but you're actually not missing out on much. As soon as people get that new thing, it's no longer new and they move onto the next new thing. It's an endless cycle of disappointment!

Remember, there was a time when PS4 was new. Now I don't even wanna look at it because it's not a PS5. Imagine if all the energy I invested into PS4 (which now amounts to nothing) had been put towards something that actually mattered!

I could be married and have a ripped body :(

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017

It sounds like you're in a pretty good position to be fair. Just remember that pretty much everything right now is cross gen anyway, so it's not like you can't still play the games.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Personally I have very few outgoings which allows me to be able to spend money on things like gaming, it works fine for me but I also own very little of worth myself. I wouldn't worry about it though especially early on in a console gen, you're far better jumping in 12+ months after launch when more games are released.

I've been in situations when I was younger when I had no money and was barely surviving but I've been lucky enough over the last few years to save some up, in the grand scheme there are far more important priorities than owning a console day 1. There are people who earn good money on here who have plenty of disposable income but most will be in the same or worse positions than yourself, just do everything at your own pace and don't get caught up in the initial hype of a launch.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Early adoption is great, but you pay a premium for it. Patience rewards much better deals, especially if you don't have to be on the cutting edge of tech.

You won't miss anything by waiting, especially in an age of back-compat and digital.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
First the fomo, it's tough especially on sites like this or avsforum (way worse). But it's important to remember even if you have the newest 65" oled, another person will just post a 77" oled etc etc.

You can get a really rad setup that while not the be all end all, it can be a really great experience at a lower budget. And everyone that has the best of the best, it's a game that never ends because next year it will no longer be the best.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
You don't have to be poor, having a family with responsibilities won't allow you to just spend money on new toys, also as you mature fomo reduces its potency, of course some never really mature enough to pass that point :/

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
As a poor person, I learned how to ignore the most recent games.
Waiting a year to buy games at $20-$30 is great. Games usually get updates to make them better after launch too.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
FOMO is hardcore on quarantine times for sure...you need to hold the urge to shell money like some people can everybody has a different reality and background.
I pre-ordered a PS5 but I sold my PS4 and Switch in order to buy it and I still have my old pal 1080p TV (which I am aiming to upgrade on black friday but i was planning that for a long time like 3-4 years).

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Yeah, I'm with you OP. I personally don't mind people being able to afford absolutely everything day 1, but I get more irked when people talk to other forum members with the expectation that they have the same financial opportunities/freedom they do.

It's usually not done with malice, but it can suck to see posts like "just get faster internet lol" or "bruh why aren't you playing on X monitor/TV". It's not frequent, but as someone from a working class background it always comes across as tone deaf.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I think that's normal to feel bad because of reporting bias. It's like the income threads that are seemingly full of people who make 100k or more. The people who are well off or lucky are more likely to talk about it, so it's easy to feel like everyone is richer and luckier than you.

For each person who spends like five digits on games per year, there are probably countless others who buy like one or two games a year, or less.

Doesn't this forum skew older on the age scale?Being older doesn't mean you make/ have more money necessarily. But being 10-15 years into your career vs being a student or having an entry level job would help a lot overall.

The two or three games a year thing is also essentially the reason MS is betting on gamepass. Same amount of money or MS in theory. But more chance for someone to find a game, get hooked and buy stuff.

Oct 31, 2017
It's an enthusiast forum. Most people don't splurge money on brand new consoles and GPUs on day one. You are actually part of the majority so don't feel bad. Threads where people post their hauls and setups don't represent the vast majority of gamers.

To be honest though, I would say you aren't missing too much. I bought the PS5 on day one because I'm an impatient dude and because I got a good trade-in deal on my PS4 Pro but if I'm being honest with myself I could have waited a little longer because I still have many games I need to finish up on PS4.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I look into the Gaming Setups thread and see these super nice houses/apartments, and think about how big of a failure I am.
I used to love these threads. I would spend so much time in each one and look forward to the new one each year.

Now? I actively avoid them. In fact the next time I see one pop up, I'm putting it on ignore.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Don't worry about the shit that other people have and appreciate what you do have :)

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
It's good to OT want to get caught up in the nonsense. I have a 4k lg tv with thinq ai that is Led and all these wack previews are trying to convince me to buy the same tv in OLED

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll ever buy a PS5, it's waaaay too expensive in my region. I think my console gaming ends with the PS4.

But I'm ok with this, I have so many cool games to play on my backlog, and I usually don't mind playing older games. I'll just keep saving up to hopefully upgrade my PC halfway through nextgen, maybe? We'll see.

I've finished Vagrant Story for the first time this year, and as we approach december, it's still easily the best new game I've played in 2020. My GOTY is Doom Eternal because Vagrant Story isn't a 2020 title, but it became one of my favorite games of all time. Easily top 10 material. I'm in no rush to play early gen games that will likely be quickly forgotten for so much money when I have so many potential masterpieces I'm yet to play.

FOMO is something you just learn to get over if you can't afford the latest stuff, because there's not much you can do about it.

Also can't currently afford a 4K HDR OLED or whatever, but I'm perfectly satisfied with my 1080p Plasma. I'm more likely to get a high refresh rate monitor, even though I do most of my gaming on the TV, than a new TV before my current one stops working.

A lot of the conversations in the forum do seem to assume everyone who posts here is rich, but I find that more funny than annoying.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this forum skew older on the age scale?Being older doesn't mean you make/ have more money necessarily. But being 10-15 years into your career vs being a student or having an entry level job would help a lot overall.

I think this is a good point. Internet forums in general are a bit of an outdated concept, and Era in particular is just the latest incarnation of a community that has existed since the late 90s. There's bound to be a fairly sizeable proportion of the user base that are on the older side of things these days, and have more disposal income. I'm in my 30s myself!

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every time I come on here, I get hit with a huge wave of FOMO in terms of what I don't have. I haven't been able to get a new console and probably won't until next year. I don't have a great TV. I feel in the minority. I know this is an enthusiast forum, but I feel so behind everyone on here. I'm young and am not rich, can't afford to spend tons and tons of money on TVs and new consoles. So for some reason I feel shut out of a lot of conversation here.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Maybe I just need to take a break because it's causing me to stress.

I feel you. Technically speaking I do have the money to get a better TV and a new console, but frankly I find there are always diminishing returns on this kind of thing. The new consoles don't have much to play on them yet, and the old gen is still loaded with endless great games. Incrementally better resolutions/ framerates aren't that impressive.

So at least you're still getting the best value for your time and money. That's something.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
OP, I have a 3090 and a PS5 ...

Yet, all I do for the most part is play Age of Empires II, a game from 1999

It's rarely about having the latest and greatest. It's always about the game itself. There are plenty of awesome games out there that don't need the latest hardware. Go have fun!

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I don't think I'll ever buy a PS5, it's waaaay too expensive in my region. I think my console gaming ends with the PS4.

But I'm ok with this, I have so many cool games to play on my backlog, and I usually don't mind playing older games. I'll just keep saving up to hopefully upgrade my PC halfway through nextgen, maybe? We'll see.

I've finished Vagrant Story for the first time this year, and as we approach december, it's still easily the best new game I've played in 2020. My GOTY is Doom Eternal because Vagrant Story isn't a 2020 title, but it became one of my favorite games of all time. Easily top 10 material. I'm in no rush to play early gen games that will likely be quickly forgotten for so much money when I have so many potential masterpieces I'm yet to play.

FOMO is something you just learn to get over if you can't afford the latest stuff, because there's not much you can do about it.

Also can't currently afford a 4K HDR OLED or whatever, but I'm perfectly satisfied with my 1080p Plasma. I'm more likely to get a high refresh rate monitor, even though I do most of my gaming on the TV, than a new TV before my current one stops working.

A lot of the conversations in the forum do seem to assume everyone who posts here is rich, but I find that more funny than annoying.

Hey man that 1080p plasma is better than the majority of the 4k hdr lcd tvs out there. If mine did VRR I don't think I'd even think about upgrading for a while yet.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind only 10% or less of the people here have a new console. The people who got it are understandably excited and posting a lot, so that is dominating the conversations.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I'm there with you OP. 2.5-3 years ago was the last time I had a good paying job. I splurged on myself massively. Had a decent up to spec PC, PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim, XB1X, Switch. Was getting literally every big new release for all of them. Picked up a TCL 6 Series in 2018. Life has been rough to me since. Had to sell off all of my consoles and games and I've only just slowly been able to claw some of them back. Have a Switch Lite and an XB1 now. When prices for next gen were rumored to be 500-600 I did get a little upset since that meant I probably wasn't gonna be able to get one until 1-2 years in. The pricing on the Series S has been a godsend that way. It's my in, essentially. IF I CAN FIND ONE

If you look at the next gen threads, you'll see that plenty of people are still on 1080p or less sets. The people with the money are the loudest and proudest but they aren't the majority. If not having the latest and greatest bums you out so much, shrink your circle. I basically only chat games with my IRL friends, and they all buy stuff about as slowly as I do now. I'm not really missing out on a PS5 or a new Xbox when me and my friends finally pick up Stardew Valley and play that together. Or hell, I just started replaying the co-op Resident Evils with a friend. You don't have to play into FOMO to have experiences that are new to you. And if you wanna talk about something that isn't new and shiny, R/LTTP threads still get plenty of traction here.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I feel your pain, OP. I have a Sony 65 inch 4K hdr tv and I hear so much praise about the lg cx on here that I'm this close to buying one.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
If I have to be honest, having to wait a few months to buy a brand new, expensive console or not having a 2020 OLED TV isn't "poor" and it comes off incredibly tone deaf and privileged to complain like that. I think you need to grow up a bit.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this in the nicest way possible: get off Era for a while. Not because you're not welcome here, but because it will be better for you to just focus on playing whatever games you have. Find some subreddits to chat about the specific games you're playing if you must, but Era is all about new new new all the time. This is a place that attracts early adopters and those early adopters are going to want to talk about their new toys. It's a new generation and that's going to be the center of discussion here going forward

im in the same boat as you. I'm probably going to spend much less time here in the coming year due to the fact the there is no way I'm getting a new console any time soon. You and I have plenty to play.

by the way you have a very impressive collection of consoles with a massive library. Don't get stressed out by the insane setups some people have here. One of the most self indulgent threads on this forum is the yearly setup thread, or as I like to call it the "let me show off my entire sick penthouse condo that costs more money than you'll make in 20 years" thread. Lots of one-percenters here on Era.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I've never felt more indifferent to a new generation of consoles. I still have so much stuff to play since the 360, lol, besides, seeing how the world is kind of a mess I just can't find it in me to worry about something as silly as not having a PS5/XSX.

I'm just very grateful for having most of my life in order and a lot of games to enjoy while nothing in the new consoles really interests me all that much. Waiting a year or two to get into the new generation is fine by me.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I wouldn't buy a TV this year anyway, too many random issues with HDMI 2.1 whether it's a blurry 120hz mode or VRR gamma issues or whatnot. I ain't shelling out $1000+ to be stuck with an issue like that that may or may not be able to be fixed by an update. I would wait till 2021 TVs are out at minimum.

As far as the new consoles, I'm the only one I know who got a PS5 among people I personally know, and most of the people I know who were interested didn't get it because they sell out in 0.5 seconds once they go up. So this is one of those things I wouldn't worry about because even if you can afford it it doesn't mean the stock is there. I'd care less about things I can't control like that.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'd spend less time here. Do other stuff with your free time. Any time a forum starts changing my mood I quit it for a few weeks.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Of course, and I plan to try and get one next year. But I have an obsessive personality so I get consumed by wanting these consoles or a new TV and it's all I think about.
If you keep having these thoughts you will never be satisfied. It's the never ending cycle of consumerism. Things are designed to invoke these emotions. So it's important to recognize them and remember to only get what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.