• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
So I was reading the topic about LGBT discrimination and I just needed to vent/ask for advice/idk... I can't share this on my twitter or something because I'm afraid that someone from work read it.

I was unemployed for three months and was desperately seeking for a job. I was working before with Microsoft and at a TV network before that and always felt safe being 'out and proud' anytime. I never felt ashamed of being who I am and loving who I love(d). I even took my (ex-)boyfriend to some office parties.

But them I got this job, it's a small marketing agency with 7 people, being 6 guys and 1 girl. Today I finished my first week there and I'm afraid. The ambient is filled with toxic masculinity, the guys (and the girl) are really far-right and they make jokes about woman and LGBT people all day long. It feels like a frat house sometimes. Today they spent the whole afternoon making gay jokes. And kept making them on our work chat group (that is used basically to share memes and jokes).

I think that most LGBT people must feel the same way... Every time I start a job I spend a few days until I feel safe of being 'out' and speaking and acting freely with my coworkers. There's ALWAYS the fear that, if in the interview they notice that I'm gay I won't get the job and if I do get it... will I be fired when they notice it? And I'm a white gay man. This must be MUCH worse for those who are trans, girls or those who don't fit a gender stereotype.

I'm doing my best to just do my job, stay quiet and go home at the end of the day. But I don't feel safe.

Every morning I have to think about what I'm going to wear, it can't be a 'gay' t shirt that makes most of my closet (saying like "Make America gay again", "Beyonce boys", "I feel like 2007 Britney" or some other silly pop diva reference). Tshirts that I always used freely on my old jobs. I actually went to buy some plain black tees this week to use it. I can't use my favorite hoodie that there's a rainbow flag on it, my jeans jacket with a unicorn pin or my pink converse. I even changed my phone wallpaper from a collage of Chris Evans as Cap to a plain space scenery.

I went through some work issues before that... at the TV network part of the crew (the camera man, sound and light guy, etc) never listened to me. I was the producer of the show and couldn't really work with the crew. I never knew why, I thought that it was because I was an intern before and I was promoted up to producer and they still were seeing my as intern. But one day I was going to interview some singer at a hotel, the crew left early to set everything up there and I went alone after with just the TV driver. We started to talk and he said "You're a great guy, I like you, even thought you're gay. I don't care what the other guys say." and I was like "Thanks, I guess... and what do you mean?" Them he told me that the crew never interacted with me because 'guys who talk to gays are also gay' and they keep on teasing him for talking to me.

At this same job I was told, after a few years that I was working there, of how the interviewer kept laughing and making jokes about me after I left. I was asked to show my portfolio and that included a music video that I produced for a drag queen and a interview that I did with a city councilor that is a trans woman. And everybody kept on laughing and telling me about all the funny jokes that he did. That really hurt my feelings. After that I removed those videos from my portfolio.

There were other things but those were the worse ones.

I'm scared of losing my job because of this. I can't afford to lose it. I was selling my some of stuff these past months just to pay my bills. Already lost my health insurance (and I have a chronic condition). There's no law protecting me in my country. I don't feel like I fit there, even though I'm able to do that job. And I'm pretty sure that they already noticed that I'm gay. I haven't said anything yet but I won't (and never will) deny if they ask me. When I was 16 or so and came out to my parents, my mom said that I had to work twice as hard as everyone else and do my best, because they always will try to find some reason to discriminate me. That is what I'm doing right now.

So LGBT era, are you 'out' on your job? How do you deal with that? What are your stories? Have you ever been discriminated on your workplace?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am out at my job, pretty plainly. My husband and I work for the same company, and we go to work events together and such.

I talk openly about going on dates with my husband, chime in when my coworkers are talking about crushes on male actors, talk about fashion and music on the off chance I have something to add.

I'm pretty lucky in that it's not really much of a thing, and has never once been an issue in any of my workplaces.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I'm bi and I'm out so much as that, if it ever comes up, I'm open about it with anyone interested. Happens every now and then, but isn't really something that's an every day occurrence. Never had an issue with discrimination over it before or anything like that, thankfully.

I've got plenty of friends both LGBT and straight who will make gay jokes within our group and we're all perfectly comfortable with it amongst ourselves, but people like the one's you're describing, OP, are straight up just doing it for the sake of being homophobic. No clue if you have an HR department/rep you can go to concerning this sort of thing, but it could be worth bringing it up with them. Otherwise I'm not really sure what you can do in a situation like this short of finding a different job.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trans and bisexual, I guess things are different for me because there isn't really any hiding who I am. I wouldn't feel comfortable being out in the environment you're in. You obviously have to work and sometimes we can't choose these things but I'd at least make it a long term goal to find work somewhere more accepting because while people like that may rise to the challenge a little if given the chance, I don't think I personally would ever feel comfortable there knowing they're trash. Im sorry you have to deal with that dude.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt safe and secure wherever I've been in either a workplace or academia - I'm very fortunate in that aspect.
My gut instinct is to always say "Go to HR!" but obviously that sounds easier and more useful than what the reality is.

I'm very sorry, OP.

OP
OP
linnus

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you located? There may be laws that protect you against this type of discrimination.

I'm in Brazil. Since 2017 the companies were allowed to hire outsourced workers for any activity. So after that we basically have only a verbal agreement with the company. Most of the workers (like me and my coworkers) don't have any contract with the company anymore. So they can do anything to us. We don't have severance, insurance, vacation and now there's a bill allowing the companies to have us work on sundays. Even when I worked with Microsoft, there was only a verbal agreement. At the end of each month I issue an invoice for the company and get my payment. We don't have any worker rights anymore and they are basically killing all the unions. I was hired but the company don't even have my address or social security number.

Also, we don't have HR.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm in Brazil. Since 2017 the companies were allowed to hire outsourced workers for any activity. So after that we basically have only a verbal agreement with the company. Most of the workers (like me and my coworkers) don't have any contract with the company anymore. So they can do anything to us. We don't have severance, insurance, vacation and now there's a bill allowing the companies to have us work on sundays. Even when I worked with Microsoft, there was only a verbal agreement. At the end of each month I issue an invoice for the company and get my payment. We don't have any worker rights anymore and they are basically killing all the unions. I was hired but the company don't even have my address or social security number.

Also, we don't have HR.
Sucks to be brazilian or american these days. May both our leading pieces of shit rot in jail A$AP.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
They still use it as a cheep joke for some reason where I work. The old tired joke about what people "Identify" as. And they wonder why there has to be "pride" activities when the only time the subject is brought up at work is to degrade anything LGBT.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
People won't catch me being afraid. The only reason I don't present as female is because I look awful in a dress. But I will proudly say that I am trans, I'm too pissed off at the world to be afraid of it.

I even had a friend knit me some earphone cups in trans colors. :>

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm bi, during my first month of working romantic relationships never really came up for me and then someone asked about a girlfriend or something and then my coworker responded "Maybe he doesn't like girls," to which I said "I do". And then from then on people just assumed I was straight.

One time I did say that I can't eat at Chick-Fil-A because of their homophobic policies and my coworker responded "Oh yeah, I remember a bunch of people at the college I went to had a problem with that" but no one said anything.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I'll admit my husband and I are pretty lucky. He's the manager (and we're 25% owner) in a machine shop. So, he works around nothing but blue collar/working class folks. Him being gay has never been an issue. I do payroll and, ya, it's never been an issue either. We were never closeted because we're married with 5 kids. Pretty hard to keep that private. Couple folks have asked well meaning questions to us about what our life is like, but it's more from a place of interest than malice. For a lot of the guys who work there, we are the first interaction they've ever had with gay people.

I'd like to think the fact my husband's a gay boss has made a positive impact. Last year, for instance, the union voted unanimously to adopt LGBT protections as part of their bargaining agreement. Once people realized we're just two normal married dads things attitudes changed I think.

OP
OP
linnus

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone. I'm glad to read some those stories.

That's why pride is so important. This situation is getting to me exactly because of this. I've always been proud and never were afraid of being me. Until now. I guess the climate that my country (and much others) are now is affecting everything. We shouldn't be afraid... ever.