• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
ZtzNsYd.jpg

thehill.com

Louisiana cemetery declines to bury black deputy sheriff due to ‘whites only’ policy

The board of the Oaklin Springs Cemetery has since repealed the clause.

The board of a cemetery in Oberlin, La., has issued an apology after it denied to bury a Black sheriff's deputy in light of an arcane rule only allowing white persons to be buried within the cemetery.

The Associated Press reports that on Thursday, the board of the Oaklin Springs Cemetery held an emergency meeting to remove the whites-only provision from its plot sales contracts.

"It's horrible," board president H. Creig Vizena told reporters regarding the clause. He added that the board members met to discuss removing the "white" provision from the cemetery contracts. A photo of the contract to purchase land within Oaklin Springs shows that it specifies the cemetery is for "the remains of White human beings."

The controversy was brought to light by a Facebook post by Karla Semien, the widow of the late Officer Darrell Semien. Upon arriving at Oaklin Springs to select a burial site for her husband, Semien was informed that she was ineligible to purchase a plot of land due to the whites only clause.

"He was good enough to protect you, being a police officer of all these years," she told The Washington Post in an interview. "But he wasn't good enough to be laid to rest in your cemetery?"

Vizena further explained that he was not aware of the clause's existence, since the issue hadn't arisen before.

"I truly hate that all this has happened," he said. "It's a sad week in this community, and fixing it as fast as we could is not going to make it any less sad."

While systemic racism is being called out in more public arenas, it silently lurks in cemeteries across the U.S. The issue of burying Black Americans and white Americans in the same space dates back to at least 1876, in the legal case Mount Moriah Cemetery Ass'n vs. Pennsylvania.

In this case, the cemetery — the defendant — claimed it could not bury a Black man primarily due to complaints of white lot-holders. Ultimately, the cemetery lost the case, with the court declaring its refusal to bury the Black man "arbitrary and unreasonable, and therefore unlawful."

Another case from July 1969 shows overt parallels to Semien's situation. The Elmwood Cemetery in Birmingham, Ala., refused to bury Vietnam veteran Bill Terry Jr., a Black soldier.

Terry's family filed a lawsuit against the cemetery, and ultimately won the case with an interpretation of the 1866 Civil Rights Act ruling that Elmwood was "legally obligated to sell burial plots in its public cemetery to all United States citizens, on equal terms, without regard to race or color."

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Who was the brave soul who was aware of this rule and decided to enforce it to a grieving widow.
What a hero.
/s

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
"buriel"

edit: the whole thing reads like someone writing an accent. Some kind of cemetery owned by folks from Deliverance.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure many organizations probably have old archaic racist/sexist/etc language in their old documents especially in small towns. It takes a special kind of racist to try and enforce that

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I am willing to accept that the board president himself very well may have not known of such an archaic clause, but he needs to take a deep and honest look at his staff, and why a white woman had at it at the ready on a clipboard, to be presented to the Black family.

Your organizational body has a staff infection.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am willing to accept that the board president himself very well may have not known of such an archaic clause, but he needs to take a deep and honest look at his staff, and why a white woman had at it at the ready on a clipboard, to be presented to the Black family.
This. Like, I can give the benefit of the doubt that anyone would think "surely we don't have an active and explicit segregation policy in 2021."

But who's the cracker who gave the heads up? Name and shame please.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all just don't know. Being a brown person in teh south you develop a "They don't fuck with niggas at all" sense early.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

Your organizational body has a staff infection.

According this BBC article, the employee is the board president's 81-year old aunt:

" The cemetery worker who had denied the plot was Mr Vizena's 81-year-old aunt, who has been "relieved of her duties," he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution."

www.bbc.com

Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black'

A Louisiana cemetery removed a white burials only rule after a local policeman was denied a plot.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Y'all just don't know. Being a brown person in teh south you develop a "They don't fuck with niggas at all" sense early.

I've gotten that sense some from the more rural regions of MD (the northernmost southern state also frequently not considered to be the south). I'm not condemning them over the suburban people as a whole, but...yeah.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
According this BBC article, the employee is the board president's 81-year old aunt:

" The cemetery worker who had denied the plot was Mr Vizena's 81-year-old aunt, who has been "relieved of her duties," he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution."

www.bbc.com

A Louisiana cemetery removed a white burials only rule after a local policeman was denied a plot.
Oh ho ho, so she's from that oooooold racist line.

I was seriously wondering how someone could do this with a straight face, without at least thinking "This is a PR nightmare, we'll get killed for racism this insane."

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The article calls it an "arcane" clause. Like, dude, it's right there. "White persons". To be arcane it'd have to be worded in a more roundabout way, like a Grandfather Clause or something.

Dec 30, 2020
I'd insist upon the integrity of their claim by forcing them to dig up EVERY SINGLE BODY buried on their location.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The fact that some employee pointed out that clause amazes me. They had to be fired right?
Yeah

www.bbc.com

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hah. Suck on that you racist ass dead bodies.

expect a lot of exhumation/relocations. I don't think this story is going to be over anytime soon. Esp with the families crying.