• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not as cool as being a games tester! Or a game journalist! You're getting paid to play video games ALL DAY!!!

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is this true? I feel like playing one of the big trending games just get you lost in a sea of many other streamers.

The problem is, the big games are where the viewers are. There's only 30 games right now on Twitch with over 10k viewers. You can stream a game that's not popular, but people aren't going to watch those games. You can stream a game that is popular, but you get lost in a sea of more popular streamers.

This is why if you're really good at the game, you can stand out. In esports games, its easy to gain at least a small following by just being a pro player.

You also need to network with more popular streamers. Its another reason why its good to play multiplayer games as you can stack with more popular streamers to get your name out there, and hopefully get a host/raid, and have more people follow you.

Well for instance if you just want to go on twitch and play whatever you feel like playing, it's unlikely that anybody will be even looking that game up.
The majority of games will have barely any viewers.

Let's say you want to just play:
Persona 5: The highest viewed channel has only 40 viewers right now.
Spiderman Miles Morales; the top channel at the moment only has 180 viewers.
FF7 Remake - top channel has 18 viewers

The only way you'll get a lot of viewers when just playing any random game is if you build up a sizeable viewer base that start to bond with you as a personality, who will come to see you and not just the game.

Even if you are already popular, you lose viewers by playing a random game if you're already not a full variety streamer, and even then it varies by the game. An example of someone I follow is supertf, who is a pro Overwatch player. He was playing Overwatch earlier today to 3.5k people. Then started playing Dead Space and he's currently at 2.2k.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even have to spend time editing, that's pretty sweet.
Nope, you have to have some sort of highlight videos that you can upload on other platforms so you can maximize your reach and earning, that is if you're really serious with streaming. You can have someone edit those for you but if you're just starting, you have to do all of those yourself.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Nope, you have to have some sort of highlight videos that you can upload on other platforms so you can maximize your reach and earning, that is if you're really serious with streaming. You can have someone edit those for you but if you're just starting, you have to do all of those yourself.
Ok but it's still less editing :p

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As someone who deals with mental health issues, having to be "On" like that while also burning myself on a hobby that I use as a form of escapism and relaxation sounds awful.

this is where i am at.

awesome for those that can do it, and make a living doing it, but that shit aint for me. Sounds like my own personal hell lmao

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Ive been streaming for a month or two now and loving it, but it is honestly really exhausting. At first i was trying to stream 6-9 hours an evening while also working 8 hours during the day but it burnt me out. Now i stream like 4 or 5 hours a night.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
If you limit it to only the rich and famous streamers, which ultimately there are only ever going to be a small number of, then why stop there? Wouldn't it also be cool to be a famous actor or musician? Probably just as realistic to fantasize about.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It actually seems awful. I'd never want to game for eight hours straight, while also entertaining a bunch of chimps in chat

nath999

May 7, 2018
8 hours of mental abuse everyday doesn't sound like a lot of fun, even if you make a good living off of it.

Every time I go into a stream there is at least one donation or someone in chat completely crapping on them for no reason.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, you don't have to stream for 8 hours straight if you don't want to? Not everyone does

what I don't envy is dealing with the chat. I've seen Max, Sajam and Cohh's stream and there are some dumbass motherfuckers in every session testing your patience

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I think I couldn't do it. I can't talk worth shit. My streams would be mostly silent. I can be entertaining in the right company, but I seriously doubt I could do it for hours on end while playing a game. I just don't have the right personality for this kind of thing. Would be nice though, if you treat it like any other job. If you get to play what you want that's great, but I don't envy the streamers who only play and/or speedrun one game all the time.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
All the big ones have to be on and entertaining for 4-6 or 8 hours a day. Seems like an easy gig on paper, but having to keep that up for that long is exhausting. You're not going to get many people watching you if you're just sitting there in silence playing a game.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I've thought about this. I have to think it's absolutely exhausting. To make it big, you basically have to have a set schedule that revolves around streaming every single day. I couldn't imagine turning Video Games into work, not to mention that the more successful people get there not by being themselves, but by developing a character that people tune in to watch.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I dunno, after being stuck on meetings all day long since Covid started, I can't take more than couple of hours of being on video a day. It's freaking rough. Plus you have to have the personality and the drive for it.

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
i'm a fairly small streamer (100 ish viewers on average) and only do it for a few hours a night, it makes it muich more fun and doesnt make it into a job. It is super lovely to have such a wonderful group of people to hang with, especially with these covid times.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Seems like a fuckin nightmare honestly. Can't imagine a more stressful job than to be entertaining for hours on end, for a full work week.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
not to mention that the more successful people get there not by being themselves, but by developing a character that people tune in to watch.
How? Some of the most successful streamers just watch youtube videos or browse the internet while responding to things in chat. It's on paper more mundane than anything.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy watching a lot of streamers but I would never do this as a full time job. Your income is so contingent on donations and subs that you can't even take a long vacation and you have to play games sitting at your desk for 8-9 hours a day while also entertaining thousands of people pretty much judging everything you do.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd take it over the back-breaking physical job I'm doing right now that gives me next to no time to do things I enjoy.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to be entertaining for that long sounds too stressful tbh. Especially for me because I couldn't be entertaining and saying stuff constantly, don't know how some of them do it tbh.

Also, when you get popular chat fucking sucks. I was watching a jerma stream and he's reached a point where his chat is awful, at least imo.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it's far better than many or even most jobs, but I often see people getting burned, specially the ones that are a little smaller and kind of depend on keeping the sub count to a certain point to survive, and many of those are tied to a single game or they lose viewers, seems kind of a pain tbh...

Oct 29, 2017
From everything I've seen and heard from people in the business? Streaming for a living is an absolutely miserable experience.

Best bit is, the moment you even dare to take a break or do something else? (like even playing a different game!) Your subscriber count (and your revenue) is immediately flushed down the toilet.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It also requires a lot of work and dedication. It may look like fun, but you're basically forced to entertain people for hours every day, and that can be exhausting.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
From everything I've seen and heard from people in the business? Streaming for a living is an absolutely miserable experience.

Best bit is, the moment you even dare to take a break or do something else? (like even playing a different game!) Your subscriber count (and your revenue) is immediately flushed down the toilet.

Yeah you really need to try and make a name for yourself as a variety streamer or eventually you'll lose a lot of subs once that game your known for drops off the map.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's definitely a lot more work than most people realize and you have to have the right personality but yeah, it's a pretty sweet gig if you like playing games. Streamers also lucked out by having the perfect job for this pandemic as they obviously weren't affected at all, and in fact probably have made more money with more people watching since lots are staying home this year.

The problem nowadays is actually getting noticed. The streaming market is just unbelievably saturated right now so unless you're already famous from something else or you are an esports professional it is very, very hard to make it big now. You will literally go years with not making much money unless you get lucky. The amount of money the top streamers get is absolutely absurd, though.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Being succesful at anything is a sweet gig. Getting there and maintaining it is a whole different level.

Can't imagine what it must be to entertain people 6 days a week for 8 hours a day. Plus all the time it takes to edit videos, manage schedules and stuff. Exhausting.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most successful streamers seem to be putting on an act, and I would hate to have to put on an act while playing games.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel like loosing yourself in the parts of your personality that get a reaction from your audience and get you money might be a real risk.

Having to be on for so many hours a day each day is gonna take a toll in some way.
Should you actually be a person that is able to handle that naturally and also be in a position where you don't have to stream every day for a long time I can see it being a nice deal though.

Otherwise a job is a job with every ups and downs that normal ones have.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's easiest if you are a speedrunner or into an active and thriving online MP game. You would be grinding the game all the time anyway, the audience will come for the specific game you are into, and you will likely feel less pressured to mix it up or chase popular games.

Having to be on and entertaining while engaging with chat for hours and hours sounds brutal though.
Absolutely the opposite. For starters getting big as a speedrunner is even more unlikely since your audience is limited to people who like the one game you play, so those that make it a full time career are usually right on the breadline. Second, that audience will drop you like a stone the moment you stream anything else. Third, you'll be playing the exact same game for 6+ hours a day every single day for years and years, eventually grinding for miniscule time improvements requiring flawless luck and execution because your income relies entirely on finding reasons to continue playing a game you've long since got sick of.

Relatively the same concept for anyone that makes their audience from playing only one game, it is easier to grow early on but infinitely harder to maintain an audience compared to variety streamers. Take something like Overwatch, a meta comes along that is absolutely no fun to play for you? Well unfortunately you still need to play 6-8 hours a day to stay afloat while also remaining entertaining.

Zelda/Mario/Pokemon runners have it a little easier since they can switch to another game in the series and keep their viewers, but every single other speedrunner I've watched eventually takes either a long break, switches games and loses 90% of the viewers, switches games to something they don't enjoy playing to keep their viewers, totally disappears or eventually spends their entire streams being miserable and moaning about the game because the pressure of needing to continue playing a game you've long since tired of playing, but have to continue because you need to keep a roof over your head, gets too great.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I'd hate to be a massive streamer, but someone that does it on the side and has an active viewer-base is living the life.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A few here have pointed it out to a similar degree but yeah I work hard already as it is so that aspect wouldn't change. The problem is I'm introverted and get burned out. If I have to entertain people for that long I'd get burned out unless I built my community and could make a living out of being extremely chill and playing games that I like.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There tends to be a downside of it effecting your mental health in the long run, complete with having to be entertaining for hours at a time and thinking to yourself if you've been quiet for too long and need to talk to keep attention

It's absolutely painful as an introvert. I think it's easy to power through depending on the mood, the game, etc.

But just feeling the constant need to talk is stressful.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i dont know why ppl keep saying "its incredibly tiresome to play 8 hours of games every day"

well no shit, that is indeed tiresome, but a lot of successful streamers dont do that. In fact, not all successful streamers stream 8 hours either. Or every day. Dr Disrespect does 4-5 hours nowadays and 3 days a week.

Or look at someone like Greekgodx who barely has a schedule, barely does anything other than watch youtube videos and get baited by his chat and play games that he ragequits half the time. Still gets thousands of viewers.

Trainwrecks is very successful and all he does is chat shit and play party games with people more entertaining than him.

Sure, a lot of the successful streamres are razor sharp game focused on a tight schedule, but the sweetest gigs are the ones where you get thousands of viewers even when you're just reaction to random youtube videos.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
What are your thoughts on cyberpunk?
What are your thoughts on Assassin Creed?
What are your thoughts on demon's souls?
Are you enjoying this game?
Is this fun?
Have you talked about the leaks yet?
Have you talked about the new trailer?
What is this game? (Doesn't read the title of the stream)
I don't think he likes this game.

be prepare to deal with this shit lmao

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in here stating it's hard work and exhausting.... that doesn't mean it's not a sweet gig lol, especially for those who love what they do.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Zero barriers to entry, not even education needed, the most successful earn millions. But OTOH, how many make a livable wage? Out of the millions of people trying? And how long does that last, until their channel counts fade for any number of reasons, and then what do they do?

I wonder how many teens are skipping on their education, hoping to make it big like this.
I've worked with some middle school kids, and quite a few of them were 100% convinced they could drop out of school and just make it rich like PDP by playing Minecraft and dressing provocatively. It saddened me greatly.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Did twitch for a time had a decent following 500ish followers good 20 viewers a stream but in the end to me it just feels like another job.. you have to prep, clean up wiring especially in this WFH COVID time, correct lightning, decent internet connection. On top of spending time with partner or family, eat, work out etc you don't get time to breathe its why I stopped.

I also have seem some scummy streamers.. one person in particular.. only gets donations usually from 2 people he has had sex with and flies to america and germany every few months to see them. This person was in an open relationship and had 3 children and low and behold since he did this.. he is getting divorced....

Streaming to me seens very depressing if you are doing it full time