• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
eU9GinF.png

New F4 have been branded "sissy boys" unfit for the task of "helping our nation reach its renaissance" by one Chinese news agency

Article's behind a paywall so I'll just post it here.
Beijing has accused the CIA of secretly fuelling the trend for effeminate or "sissy" celebrities in China.

The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (Cass), one of the country's leading research institutions, studied China's booming entertainment industry and its demand for androgynous, coiffed male celebrities, derided in state media as "xiao xian rou" which means "little fresh meat".

A Cass report accuses the CIA of beginning its campaign to "brainwash" Asian men in Japan in 1962 with the foundation of the Johnny & Associates talent agency.

It claims the agency's founder, Johnny Kitagawa, was "loyal to the Americans rather than the Japanese" and colluded with the CIA to use "entertainment to brainwash the Japanese people . . . to weaken the male temperament of Japanese society".

Since then, the Chinese report, titled "Do you know how hard the CIA is working", says, weakened male temperament has spread to other parts of east Asia.

Beijing's experts compared China's entertainment industry, which "advocates feminine male artists", to Hollywood, where "male stars are not like this, most of them are tough guys".

The biggest celebrities in mainland China often are imported from the K-Pop industry in South Korea. Their style has influenced a generation of young fans in China who like their idols to be pale and delicate.

This has irked Beijing, which connects national strength with male muscularity. An editorial in the state-run Xinhua news agency derided xiao xian rou as "sissy boys" unfit for the task of "helping our nation reach its renaissance".

Last year, Xinhua, the state news agency, lambasted singers in a new group, New F4, as "sissy pants" and said they were "not men, but not women".

"They look androgynous and wear make-up. They are slender and weak," the influential opinion columnist using the pen name Xinshiping wrote. "The impact this sick culture will have on our young generation is immeasurable."

To counter the popularity of xiao xian rou, the government has backed films such as Wolf Warrior 2, with male leads who are macho and militaristic. "Anyone who offends China will be killed no matter how far the target is," the tagline for the film, which features guns, explosions and tanks, reads.

While China is still a highly patriarchal society, notions of gender and sexuality have become more diverse, especially since homosexuality was declassified as a mental illness in 2001.

Genuinely thought this was an Onion piece first... China clearly have their priorities set straight.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wut. When I think of Chinese celebrities, action heroes like Jet Li and Donnie Yen come to mind, not some lame boy band.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
a CIA black blook project would explain BTS and G-Dragon. Not saying they are sissy, but that they look like they were design in a lab

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): racism
China has the smallest penis, its obvious.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Are young Chinese women or teenage girls really into that sort of look?

Becuase thats the most reasonable explanation that dudes would start dressing like that, not a secret gay CIA plan unfolding.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if the CIA was actually anywhere nearly as effective at directing cultural shifts as totalitarian states looking to scapegoat their own insecurities would lead you to believe.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
You think Beijing doesn't dread the day the BTS hive turns their gaze on china, folks talk about broken fandom, but none compares to the shit that goes down on twitter after 9pm eastern time

Gonna be honest here all I understood in that was Beijing, I'm too old to know what is going on with the rest of it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually seen a lot of similar arguments around K- and J-pop for like 10+ years... that they're some sort of attempt to "feminize" society by bad actors. Mostly out of China, but it's a pretty common argument in a lot of places.

It's the same sort of "chemtrails turning frogs gay" nonsense we get here but generally we don't have government agencies signal boosting it.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not the CIA, but to a different point: didn't western culture absolutely push the "effeminate/deliberately unmasculine Asian man" narrative through media throughout the 20th century (and beyond)?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the band that was formed from the remake of a CDrama, based on a manga that came out in 1992, which had also spawned an anime, Jdrama, and Kdrama, was DEFINITELY a CIA plot. Clearly.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be the strangest thing the cia has tried to do but I don't believe they are competent to pull it off. I think the truth here is that everyone actually loves twinks tbh

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Finally CIA's secret involvement with the otome-industrial complex is revealed. Soon their fujoshi sleeper army will be triggered and overthrow the CCP.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Russia/China and other authoritarian states pump out conspiracy theories like crazy as a deliberate strategy.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not the CIA, but to a different point: didn't western culture absolutely push the "effeminate/deliberately unmasculine Asian man" narrative through media throughout the 20th century (and beyond)?

i'm not sure that's really the same thing. Western (specially American) perception/stereotype of unmasculine Asian men is more rooted of a "Look at these LOOOOOSERS" where as the Asian perception of pretty boys is more "Look at how pretty they are, they are cool and desirable!", which is more along the lines of how Western (specifically American) culture treats white pretty boys (see: Boy bands, Leo D in the 90s, etc).

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if the CIA was actually anywhere nearly as effective at directing cultural shifts as totalitarian states looking to scapegoat their own insecurities would lead you to believe.

I mean, I consider myself a pretty gung-ho American, and one not nearly as skeptical or afraid of our intelligence services as many here... but I wouldn't really rule it out. Stuff like that is not really out of the scope of the CIA's activities historically. Just as likely not, but still possible.

Any skepticism of it that I have stems more from "it wouldn't behoove China's counter-intelligence to mention it in public if it were true" and less from "that's too silly or unlikely for the CIA".

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being one of these boys and your government calls you so ugly you must be a plot by the CIA.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
isn't this pretty normal across a lot of asia? this isn't a cia ploy but what many younger asian women/men find attractive. also its not like pretty boys aren't wanted in the west either.

Mazuve1234

Sep 2, 2018
Justin Bieber and One Direction are/were really liked by teenage girls all around the world so it's not only an asian phenomenon.