• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the dumbest thing about most of these is that DiC didn't need to spend the money on a license to make those shows because (based on that image) NONE OF THEM HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SOURCE MATERIAL. LOL I mean, California Games is I guess recognizable as California Games but it's such a generic thing to begin with so who cares.

Double Dragon is really the only game represented there that is recognizable as the thing it's supposed to be.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I still maintain that the Legend of Zelda show was good. It's entertaining and has some great music. Watching it now I feel like modern Zelda game elements, settings, etc. mirror it in a lot of ways.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This was from the early 90's?

Did... Did no one tell them about the ending of Metroid?

I'm going to take a guess and say this anywhere between 1988 - 1990 at the least. It looks like the same concept artist that did the "Buddy Boy" concept art , which became the basis for Captain N: The Game Master. It was also produced by DiC.

swMszlk.jpg

The concept artist probably had no idea that Metroid is a gurl. Just like how he had little to no knowledge on what the rest of the Captain N characters were suppose to look like. The Double Dragon and California games concepts look pretty cool, though.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I mean...

D5_AQbUXkAAyY5e.jpg

VS

DqSrJ6wUUAAVwrP.jpg

Don't tell me video games aren't taken a little bit more seriously now

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Metroids manual refer to Samus as a man to hide the twist at the end? Guessing they just read that...

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is amazing. It highlights how little integrity there was in cartoon adaptations of popular properties back then. They'd take an IP, run it through a boardroom table stacked with people completely unfamiliar with it, and on the other side would be something that barely resembled the original licence.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to take a guess and say this anywhere between 1988 - 1990 at the least. It looks like the same concept artist that did the "Buddy Boy" concept art , which became the basis for Captain N: The Game Master. It was also produced by DiC.

swMszlk.jpg

The concept artist probably had no idea that Metroid is a gurl. Just like how he had little to no knowledge on what the rest of the Captain N characters were suppose to look like. The Double Dragon and California games concepts look pretty cool, though.

I remember when these first leaked, i actually liked the Concept of MegaDad and MegaMom and the idea that for videogame characters mundane real life chores were what gaming is to IRL kids.

Also that image of the boy literally praying and an "angel" appearing out of nowhere is hilarious.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The character designer got like an hour to play each game from Captain N on a shitty tv iirc.
WHere did you read that? That's fascinating!
And what do you mean by shitty tv? They couldn't give the designer a decent late 80s tv? Still, shitty tv or not there's no excuse for making him green instead of blue. You could tell the color from the terrible box arts!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
And what do you mean by shitty tv? They couldn't give the designer a decent late 80s tv? Still, shitty tv or not there's no excuse for making him green instead of blue. You could tell the color from the terrible box arts!
Mega Man is green in Captain N because the designer's TV was either broken or not set up correctly, so Mega Man appeared green on his screen.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, compared to the other DIC abominations they did with videogame properties that Metroid art, had it not been for the white guy, is actually not bad at all! It's the most authentic game-to-Cartoon I've seen from them. The proportions and colors are all there, Samus is shooting an armcanon to an anlien monster in space. It's all there. Just the one glaring problem with male Samus, lol. You can tell they read the instruction manual and that's it (Samus was a "he" in the manual).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol this.

Or the dude lived in denial and kept his misogynistic vision of Samus real through his work.
Nah. He just didn't finish it. Anyone who didn't finish the game but took a quick look at the game's manual would be forgiven to think Samus was a man since the damn intruction booklet called Samus a "he/him" many times.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too lazy to find the DeviantArt explaining it all but Captain D's weirdness is basically this
Mega Man is green in Captain N because the designer's TV was either broken or not set up correctly, so Mega Man appeared green on his screen.
Plus him only having the carts

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Also that image of the boy literally praying and an "angel" appearing out of nowhere is hilarious.

It looks like Paper Boy was getting chased by a rabid dog (which is an enemy in the game), which causes him to pray for a miracle, which causes Kid Icarus to appear. I do like that the concept art shows a mix between a video game world (everything is 2D with platforms in one shot) and everyday life. I think the concept artist said somewhere, that he had very little to go on when creating these characters and didn't play games. So he had to base everything on scree shots and a limited amount of concept art. Mega Man looks awful, but he still looks more accurate than the Mega Man that was depicted on the Mega Man 1 and 2 NES boxes.

That Metroid concept, looks like it could have been part of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. As it has a "Super Mario Bros Power Hour" logo on it. But I guess, they chose to make shorts out of Zelda instead for the show that went to air.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe DiC is the late eighties, early nineties equivalent of the dude who uploads camcorder footage of pirated PC games to YouTube.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Hah, this I had no idea, fair enough then!
Yeah. That's why the end of Metroid is such a twist. The player was conditioned (probably without intent) to think that Samus was a guy because of the English text of the instruction manual.

Oh my lord, this is wild.

DiC, what the heck were you smoking back then?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too lazy to find the DeviantArt explaining it all but Captain D's weirdness is basically this

Plus him only having the carts
That's INSANE! The damn character designer couldn't even be bothered to check the box sets and manuals? Still with just the carts you could tell how Simon Belmont and Megaman looked right? Except for Megaman 1 but even then he was blue and yellow not green. That should've been a clue that his colors were fucked up.

This is amazing. I can't believe we were stuck with a green Megaman because the designer had a shitty ass tv with the colors wrong, he didn't bother to check the cover arts for any other Megaman games, and nobody cared to correct him!

The late 80s were such a weird time.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I think it's easy to shit on some of these concepts, but I can remember these days and so little of the games' plots were really known and understood by many. The instruction manuals themselves often contained lies made up by the western publishers. Most guide books (ie. "How to Win at Nintendo") would really grasp at straws to understand the narrative of each game.

And what were you going to do... google it? :P

Yep, it's why I like the Zelda cartoon and think the flak it gets is a little unfair. I think it's solid all things considered. Plus Zelda's way more active in this series than most games.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. That's why the end of Metroid is such a twist. The player was conditioned (probably without intent) to think that Samus was a guy because of the English text of the instruction manual.
Nah, it was deliberate. The Japanese manual had it too when it would have been very easy to avoid referencing gender entirely.

Clyde Mandelin at Legends of Localization has done a few comparisons of manual text on Nintendo games, and they were actually very close to the Japanese text overall.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's why I like the Zelda cartoon and think the flak it gets is a little unfair. I think it's solid all things considered. Plus Zelda's way more active in this series than most games.
The Zelda cartoon was Shakespeare compared to what they did to Simon Belmont or Megaman. You didn't need a deep story explained in the manuals to know Megaman wasn't green or that Simon didn't look like that!

I agree that the Zelda show gets unfairly bashed. And it's depressing that that incarnation of Zelda still is the most feminist and positive depiction of the character still in 2019.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it was deliberate. The Japanese manual had it too when it would have been very easy to avoid referencing gender entirely.

Clyde Mandelin at Legends of Localization has done a few comparisons of manual text on Nintendo games, and they were actually very close to the Japanese text overall.
Ah, that's cool. Thanks for the correction!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was Alucard in the original manual.
1760798-alucard_jpmanual.png

Yes information was limited back then but it's still obvious they just didn't give a shit.