• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.vulture.com

Is Anyone Watching Quibi?

The streaming platform raised $1.75 billion and secured a roster of A-list talent, but it can’t get audiences to notice.

When Gal Gadot came to the offices and delivered an impassioned speech about wanting to elevate the voices of girls and women, Katzenberg wondered aloud whether she might become the new Jane Fonda and do a workout series for Quibi. ("Apparently, her face fell," says a person briefed on the meeting.)

In market research following its Oscars and Super Bowl ads, 70 percent of respondents said they thought Quibi was a food-delivery service, according to two people separately briefed on the research. (A Quibi executive denies this account.)

Take a quibi and read the article

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The ppl that consume this content aren't watching the SB or the Oscars.

It's old media not understanding new media--Youtube, IG, TikTok. It's not the same playbook.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol imagine the look on marketing's faces when they get the poll back saying most people thought it was food delivery.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I see the failure of Quibi as one of those rare examples of a business underestimating the average person's intelligence and attention span.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed it was suppose be a YouTube contender or something that launched with premium scripted content.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The ppl that consume this content aren't watching the SB or the Oscars.

It's old media not understanding new media--Youtube, IG, TikTok. It's not the same playbook.
I understand Youtube, IG and TikTok, and i don't get Quibi.

edit: and i did download Quibi and used my trial subscription.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Literally anyone who uses a fucking phone on a daily basis or consumes any amount of video entertainment on YouTube/social media could have told them that it was a bad idea from the start.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
That Gal Gadot anecdote was fucking crazy. Holy shit.

Seeing out of touch boomers trying to win over millenials and Gen Z will never not be hilarious--and sad.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
(Quibi, which rhymes with Libby, is short for "quick bites.")

I had no idea it was supposed to be pronounced "Quibby". I assumed from the spelling it was pronounced "Queeby".

All this lead me to the realization that I have never heard the name said aloud ever. Nice marketing work there, Quibby.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The main thing I remember getting from the ads was that a Quibi was a unit of time.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
at a monthly cost of $4.99 (with ads) or $7.99 (without ads)

I'm slow because I just now realized you have to pay a subscription to use Quibi. I always assumed it was a free-with-ads thing and even when I thought it was free I had zero interest in checking it out.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I keep hearing about shows and actors/actress' projects on Quibi but i don't think anyone is actually *watching* it?
I don't need another streaming service for a handful of shows. The bubble has burst already and studios need to start getting their shit together or we'll have basically another cable problem.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Take the man who nearly floundered Disney and the woman who wrecked HP. Let's have them make an entertainment platform for young people. Yeah, that makes sense.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
All I know about quibi is that one ad of Chrissy Teigen exercising and being a little snippy to the assistant.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Quibi could have taken off had it not been a paid service (ad-supported to start) and launched on TVs too, not just on mobile.

Even in non-COVID times the mobile-only positioning is a death knell. Nobody prefers to watch TV that way.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
This whole concept sounded like a failed service from when videos over cellular started becoming a thing and people were experimenting with short form videos.

You know, years before the 200 streaming services we have now that people already have and can watch anywhere.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I understand Youtube, IG and TikTok, and i don't get Quibi.

edit: and i did download Quibi and used my trial subscription.

I feel like quibi is "by celebrities, for celebrities" — no one asked for this. Don't get me wrong, there are a few actors on the platform like... but I ain't subscribing to this. Put that mess on YouTube, or hell, Vimeo.

Pivot into a delivery service even, sure folks would use that instead.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget quibi using the short length of the content to get around labor laws.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Katzenberg believed enough mobile-phone users would want to spend their spare minutes of downtime — while waiting in line for coffee, riding the bus or subway — digesting small plates of premium, Hollywood-quality video, at a monthly cost of $4.99 (with ads) or $7.99 (without ads), when not surfing the amateur stuff on TikTok and -YouTube, scrolling Twitter, or playing Animal Crossing for free. And he was spending lavishly on his hunch.

There's so much wrong with this. Why would people pay $8 a month to watch short videos when they can waste time for free with youtube or facebook or tiktok, etc? If it was a free service supported by ads maybe they would have something. But to have to pay when there are so many free alternatives. Makes no sense to me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When the post mortems on Quibi are written, unless this thing miraculously reverses course, Katzenberg and the others are all going to say like, "We got screwed by the pandemic," but that's not it. For sure, I think they were banking on a reservoir of people who want to watch a 5-minute show in between stops on the subway, and that couldn't be planned for. BUt streaming services have all seen huge growth during the pandemic -- even the ones with stable floors and limited ceilings -- and it's not just streaming services focusing on long-form.

I don't think Quibi was ever able to answer the core challenge posed to them over the last year: "Will anybody pay a monthly fee for short-form content when most people get short-form entertainment 'for free' from YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, and Twitter?"

If anybody was going to get Quibi to work, it would be Katzenberg, and I think he went about it the right way... Over-pay talent, over-pay producers, and make a benefit analysis to content creators... "We'll pay you $100,000/minute" as this piece quotes, that's something *no one else* would pay. They did get the content for the most part, this isn't like other services that don't have the content at launch, but I think the format is tough.

I think the Quibi content would be super popular if it launched as a side-aspect to something like Netflix. Like, as part of your $12/mo on Netflix, you get this short form mobile content ... maybe it's an auxillery to the long-form content on Netflix, maybe it has it's own custom app and you can only watch it on mobile devices or something. Maybe there's tie in between the short form content and the long form content. BUt as a stand alone service it always seemed rough.

I think Katzenberg will ultimately be right that short form content like this on a premium service might very well be a huge success. But I suspect Quibi will be like Vine, and whatever comes next will be like Snapchat and TikTok. The app that does it first is not always the app that does it successfully, and sometimes it takes a service trying something and failing for another one to swoop in and succeed where the previous one failed.

Are any of the shows on it good?

I've heard 'The Most Dangerous Game' is good but it's annoyingly broken up in segments that don't make sense narratively.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
This and moviepass always made me wonder if people with money are dumb or whether they are moneylaundering schemes.
I keep hearing about shows and actors/actress' projects on Quibi but i don't think anyone is actually *watching* it?
I don't need another streaming service for a handful of shows. The bubble has burst already and studios need to start getting their shit together or we'll have basically another cable problem.
these ventures are always extremely profitable for media makers. Playstation Vue, etc. always pay good money to get people making content on their platform that the people making it know is probably going to vanish once the service gets canned.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
You know the production companies, talent, and creatives who signed up for this are laughing their way to the bank.

Recognizing the risk of making something for an unproven platform, Katzenberg typically offered to pay producers' costs plus 20 percent. "People on Quibi have $100,000 a minute to make content," Katzenberg tells me.

Cha-Ching. 🤑

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It took me seeing several ads, mostly the ones with Chrissy Teigen, before I began to understand what it was. Their marketing was shit and basically looked like "real celebrities doing the YouTuber schtick on our new platform!" and... that's basically it.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If I want to watch a video while I'm taking a shit or on the bus or whatever I'm just going to pull up my YouTube subscription list and be presented with hours of content more-or-less for free. I'm not going to pay $8 a month to watch Chrissy's Court or whatever the fuck. The model makes no damn sense.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This is how piracy soars again lol

There are some good shows and gets on the service that literally no one will pay for.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I want to watch a video while I'm taking a shit or on the bus or whatever I'm just going to pull up my YouTube subscription list and be presented with hours of content more-or-less for free. I'm not going to pay $8 a month to watch Chrissy's Court or whatever the fuck. The model makes no damn sense.
i can see how it makes sense to boomers who invested in this.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That's not your fault lol. That's on Quibi. It's been terribly marketed.
haha, nvm - for some weird reason i somehow read your post as if you were part of some weird Quibi defense force.

Like, as in - "the quibi non-believers are old media, who don't get youtube, IG or tiktok, so of course they're gonna downplay the significance of Quibi, the big industry disruptor!" 🤣

So basically, pretty much the inverse of your actual point

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think I may have heard the name in passing once on this site. If you had spot asked me if I knew what Quibi was before this thread, I would have said, "no". And I'd like to think I'm reasonably informed on all things internet.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand who this was supposed to be for.

People who want high quality TV content are willing to binge shows for hours at a time.

People who want short filler content can watch youtube on their phones for free.