• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
They're putting so much money into this and I can tell the creators are passionate about it, but I just don't see this being successful at all.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Sets are ambitious as hell. Like that they´re building all that stuff.
New cast, can´t say much, unknown (to me). Gonna trust the casting people, doesn´t happen too often where i think people are miscast.
I know they´re still filming, still would have like to see something, just a scene, cast in costumes, anything.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't believe they built all these sets full-size instead of just having digital extensions? Baratie looks like it cost a million dollars damn.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Casting once again on point. Surprised Roger hasn't been announced yet. Smoker/Tashigi as well. Really wonder who they could be.

Concept art of Merry is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Baratie looks dope as hell too.

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy that they're building full ships and sets that will only be used for a few episodes each.

The Baratie looks marvelous but it'll only get shown off for a few episodes in season 1.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cool that they build so much stuff - might mean that they spend more time in these places than One Piece normally would to get their money's worth.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
From the live action discord, from the concept art. A wild luffy on the merry head.
IMG_7013.png

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Cast looks great. It's a shame the ships/set got leaked. I'm surprised they're actually building all the ships.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
After Cowboy Bebop, gonna need to see some actual footage to be even remotely excited. If the directors and cinematographers are garbage then it doesn't matter how nice the sets are.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Mihawk, Nojiko, and Zeff all look like great fits (Klahadore too with a haircut).

It's crazy that they're building full ships and sets that will only be used for a few episodes each.

The Baratie looks marvelous but it'll only get shown off for a few episodes in season 1.

At least the Baratie will be the primary set for the 2-3 episodes it gets. They built the Love Duck and I'm not sure if it showed up for more than 2 episodes in the original.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
According to history, I can never get hyped for a live-action

I hope to god this turns out to be something else!

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've never watched one piece. I'm glad I've waited for the definitive version

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I can appreciate the amount of effort going into all of this, but none of it's ultimately going to matter until we see the first Gum Pistol. The core moveset of the main character is still going to be one of the hardest things to get right and for better or worse I feel like that's going to be the series' biggest yardstick.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, honestly surprised they're going to be adapting the Captain Kuro arc; I remember people saying that would be an easy skip. I haven't been keeping up with development leaks though.

Those sets are impressive in scope, though it'll all depend on how they're actually presented in the show.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the definitive version though. The manga is still the truest source. Live action could be good or bad, depending on several factors, and there will be lots of changes made.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
the Luffy energy is soooo good.

I have no idea how this is going to work though..

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, honestly surprised they're going to be adapting the Captain Kuro arc; I remember people saying that would be an easy skip. I haven't been keeping up with development leaks though.

Those sets are impressive in scope, though it'll all depend on how they're actually presented in the show.
No arc can be skipped in One Piece. Captain Kuro arc can't be skipped since that's where they get Usopp & the Going Merry. It can be trimmed down a lot though.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Also, must be weird to be cast as Mihawk for a show like this, assuming it's successful and they get to do anything resembling a full adaptation.

"Yeah, so you'll show up for like ten minutes in every single season we do."

You can't really skip it (too important for Usopp and it's where they get the Merry), but it can be condensed, which is going to be true of every story arc here to be honest. Especially with the East Blue, expect everything except Arlong and maybe Baratie to get one to two episodes at most.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is still sounding and looking good. The real test will be the Luffy CG considering even Marvel shyed away from it for Ms Marvel. But I imagine they've done a lot of testing to figure it out, or how to frame it in the best way.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Sets look fantastic though I'm still not a fan of Merry's mouth being open lol. Dunno why that was a concept they stuck with.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Anti-Black Racism (Ban upgraded to permanent after inflammatory ticket response)
This is going to be so trash, just fucking cancel it.

This is Nojiko, by the way :

4a6515aa05d24f31d1b7c99dfd8c2572--one-piece-nojiko-manga-anime.jpg

Uh what ? Lmao

Last edited:

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I honestly can't believe they built all these sets full-size instead of just having digital extensions? Baratie looks like it cost a million dollars damn.

Carpenters in South Africa must be cheap to hire or something. They could basically take these and make a One Piece theme park or something after the show ends.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously a little snippet, but I really liked Godoy's energy there - being able to be loud and goofy without being obnoxious is gonna be key for live-action Luffy and I felt good about it.

But god what a waste of money when this inevitably isn't a smash hit. Those sets are SO good. I hope they do something with them when things wrap instead of just letting them rot or tearing them apart, but I can't imagine it'd be practical to set them up for tourism or anything.

At this point I'm praying we at least get a Season 2 with Baroque Works.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be so trash, just fucking cancel it.

This is Nojiko, by the way :

latest

There's nothing about Nojiko that requires her be white. In fact it's one of the better spots to be flexible with representation since she is adopted and not blood-related to Nami.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously a little snippet, but I really liked Godoy's energy there - being able to be loud and goofy without being obnoxious is gonna be key for live-action Luffy and I felt good about it.

But god what a waste of money when this inevitably isn't a smash hit. Those sets are SO good. I hope they do something with them when things wrap instead of just letting them rot or tearing them apart, but I can't imagine it'd be practical to set them up for tourism or anything.

At this point I'm praying we at least get a Season 2 with Baroque Works.
I mean if the ships can actually function I could see them being auctioned off to some rich fan after the show ends

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Casting looks really great honestly but I'm so concerned over how this turns out