• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who has been your favorite director(s) in the MCU so far?

• James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy movies)

• Jon Favreau (Iron Man, Iron Man 2)

• Joss Whedon (Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron)

• The Russo Brothers (The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War)

• Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok)

• Peyton Reed (Ant-Man movies)

• Others (name them in a comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Russo's for me.
The others who did something great (Favreau, Whedon, Gunn) really let me down on their second outings. Russo's have been consistently great.
Johnston would be a close second. Would love to see him return.
Didn't think Black Panther was particularly great. It's Coogler's only not-great movie so far. Hopefully part 2 is better.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
My favorites are Coogler and Taika.

But when the Russos showed up, everything changed in the MCU. Winter Soldier to me is the dividing line between the MCU movies, not Avengers.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely James Gunn for me. I loved both Guardian movies, and to me both are the best in the MCU.

Though to be fair, the vast majority of MCU movies are at worst pretty good so it's not like I hate the others lol.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I voted James Gunn but he would be followed EXTREMELY closely by the Russos.

Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU film but I thought Infinity War (while awesome) was a bit bloated.

Oct 28, 2017
James Gunn, by far.
I genuinely believe Whedon was done dirty with Age of Ultron. You cannot discount what Whedon accomplished with Avengers.
Coogler's direction in Black Panther was incredibly confident and assured and that script had just about zero fat on it.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Torn between Waititi and Russos. Going with Russos for now but if Waititi can deliver one or two more amazing movies like Ragnarok it'll be him.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Taika and Gunn. Visionaries and auteurs.

The Russo's are great at keeping a million loose threads in order, but their actual style is as flat a pancake.

That's actually exactly why the Russos are on top for me. They have this uncanny ability to take 20+ characters and keep track of where everyone is at any given time while also giving them all at least one moment to shine. X-Men 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 both tried to juggle only a small percentage of that and collapsed from the strain.

After them for me is Gunn, and then honestly Coogler just slightly beats out Waititi. And that's mainly because I think Waititi needs to be allowed room to be as mad-cap as he wants.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cooler should be on that list. Personal preference or not, directing a movie that was nominated for and won several Oscars means it should at least be in the running.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The Russos have thoroughly taken the MCU to the next level.

I love Taika and Gunn as well, but their movies are kind of a different thing that stand on their own. The Russos have perfected the superhero epic.

EDIT: And though he's been surpassed, it can't be understated how much Whedon knocked it out of the park with the first Avengers movie. We wouldn't have three MCU entries a year if that movie wasn't as good as it was.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ryan Coogler, for Black Panther. It's the only MCU movie I've legitimately loved.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Avengers 1 was on TV the other day and holy shit the first 15 minutes of that movie is so bad. Feels like a bad TV show and they let another director take over after that (still a pretty flat looking film but the intro is baaaad).

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
I loved everything about Winter Soldier. Hands down best MCU movie for me. Seen it a half dozen times.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Whedon deserves so much credit for what he did with Avengers' script. Each character gets to shine in their own way, and gets their own moment with Loki that is so specific to them.
People are so used to the idea of the MCU by now but Joss was the one who made it work. I'm not even sure if the MCU would still be as massively successful as it is without him. Like to give some perspective, the film proceeding Avengers grossed 370 million, the Avengers grossed about 3x that basically off of his talents alone and most of the movies since have made 700 million+ since then.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually exactly why the Russos are on top for me. They have this uncanny ability to take 20+ characters and keep track of where everyone is at any given time while also giving them all at least one moment to shine. X-Men 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 both tried to juggle only a small percentage of that and collapsed from the strain.

After them for me is Gunn, and then honestly Coogler just slightly beats out Waititi. And that's mainly because I think Waititi needs to be allowed room to be as mad-cap as he wants.
That ability isn't all that uncanny tbh. It's just a result of their work mainly beijg based in tv comedy. A major part of series like Arrested Development and Community is the ability to keep track of a bigger cast of characters. It's not some sort of unique skill of the Russos. I love their AD and Community work, but their directing style in the MCU is very safe and flat.

I feel Civil War could've been directed by anyone and turned out roughly the same, while something like GotG and Ragnarok are very obviously products of James Gunn and Taika Waititi.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Russos bring the action, Gunn brings the heart, Waititi is the funniest, and Coogler is the most visually interesting

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand people picking the Russos, but Gunn over Watiti? The level of comedy isn't on the same plane.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I was gonna pick the Russo brothers BUT then i remembered the sheer awesomeness that was Thor: Ragnarok so Waititi it is! It just represents all the things an actual comic book movie needs imo and i'd be fine with the MCU going in that direction in the future...

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's easily Whedon, Favreau, and Gunn as they make / made the MCU shine. Russou bros are hack frauds and others are just meh. Coogler made a good movie but he didn't influence or steer the MCU as a whole in a good direction cause he made his own good movie.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taika Waititi did so much with so little with Thor: Ragnarok. I really didn't know how Thor's character could be salvaged after Dark World, and I was feeling a bit down on the MCU after what I thought was a very middling SpiderMan: Homecoming, but Ragnarok was so colorful, silly, and energetic. And Thor's new and different characterization in Ragnarok carried over into Infinity War and helped make that movie better.

Civil War and Infinity War were really good movies though, and the original Iron Man was pretty special. The Russos and Favreau would be runner-ups.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
The Russo's because they made the first MCU film that I thought was great and not just fun with Winter Soldier.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I picked James Gunn because Guardians of the Galaxy 1 is by far the best MCU-movie, but I could've picked Whedon or Waititi too.

Gunn and Waititi are maybe the only ones that really succeed in injecting their own style and authorship into these movies. GotG and Thor Ragnarok really stand out from the pack because of this, and are by far the most memorable in the whole series. Most other director's fall into a somewhat samey and safe style. (That's why I don't get the love for the Russo's. Even though they have some of the better MCU-movies in their name, the direction is often very safe and bland. I feel like they are more loved because they deliver the real tentpole movies of the series, than because of the quality of their work)

Whedon I would pick for the first Avengers alone, as that is still the perfect example how a shared universe can work. It's still the best cross-over movie of the bunch. Not only because it's the first one where stories really intersect (thus, it isn't bogged down by to many storylines, nor does it feel the need to shoehorn in too many character's because it only had a couple of films to work from), it also does it perfectly by focussing on the character's and generating as much conflict between the crew as possible. It's smart, funny and exciting in a way no other cross-over movie ever succeeded in again for me. Age of Ultron is a flawed sequel because it couldn't recreate that dynamic (and it feels bogged down by the need to generate future storylines in stead of focusing on the one at hand, especially in the Thor-segment)

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
There can be only one answer. The one, the only , ALAN motherfuckin TYLER .
For a serious answer :
1500935282-elle-taika-waititi-twitter.jpg

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Not to take anything away from anyone else, but the Russos are the total package.

They are the top directors in the MCU by a good margin. Great action, good direction, bold decisions, good at balancing tones, good at striking proper moods, good at finding the core of characters and the core of the stories, cares about all that nerdy comic book detail shit, have a good knowledge of film. They are just really impressive and while they may not come across as "auteurs" they for damn sure aren't hacks that just get pushed around by Disney and told what to do. Hacks don't kill half the universe and have the bad guy win and just leaves the audience to sit with that feeling through the credits.

I think they are underrated, because while many people think TWS is the best MCU film or Infinity War, many also value that auteur vision in film and the singular voice of a director being what makes a good director as opposed to a competent director that makes a great movie, but the Russos are not only 2 people, but they are also working closely with 2 writers and really embody the ethos of Marvel Studios collaborative filmmaking philosophy. Maybe that means the Russos don't have a trademark they could plaster all over their movies so people know that it was made by them (well up until IW they always had a Commmunity cast member cameo and Joe Russo playing a bit part, but they did get a blue Tobias) but I think that's fine. I think Peter Jackson similarly let the LotR trilogy be about Tolkien's world and the story rather than about the auteur mark he could leave on the film so people know it was made by him, someone that had a comedy horror background yet chose not to beat you over the head with any of that aesthetics.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally it's Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok), The Russo Brothers (The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War), Jon Favreu (Iron Man, Iron Man 2) and James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy movies).

Overall it's The Russo Brothers. It wasn't until I saw TWS before I started having an interest in the MCU.

For me, I agree it's Taika Waititi. What he did for the Thor franchise is magnificent.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Gunn.

The Russos are making good movies with good scripts. No denying that.

But their movies are not particularily nice to look at. It lacks clear aesthetic. I mean, Civil War was fun but am i the only one would would have wished the big battle to happen anywhere else than a bland airport made of grey concrete ? Shit's not pretty or interesting to look at.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Russos are so damn consistent it is amazing, but I still thimk Taika takes the win.

Thor: Ragnarok might be one of the most rewatchable movies ever. Every scene is just a pleasure to watch, even after multiple viewings.