• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who has been your favorite director(s) in the MCU so far?

• James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy movies)

• Jon Favreau (Iron Man, Iron Man 2)

• Joss Whedon (Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron)

• The Russo Brothers (The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War)

• Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok)

• Peyton Reed (Ant-Man movies)

• Others (name them in a comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very hard decision between Taika & Coogler for me. Both did an incredible job keeping the styles that put them on the map and inserting it into the MCU.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I would love to see a "Whedon Unchained" version of Ultron. Sadly it was bungled so I'm going to have to give this to the Russo's.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mainly referring to the completely random deaths of the Warriors Three. Those were important characters in the original Thor and it bothers me that they were killed off like that, with basically no mention of them after.

I absolutely agree. I get that Waititi wanted to make the movie his own, but it rings false to the overarching story to make them that disposable.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean Whedon deserves so much credit for what he did with Avengers' script. Each character gets to shine in their own way, and gets their own moment with Loki that is so specific to them.

Thor - a dramatic clash of brothers, and then later, the two fighting atop Stark Tower as chaos ensues below.
Iron Man - battle of egos
Captain America - literally defending an elderly Jewish man, in Germany, in a classic hero vs. villain standoff
Black Widow - her completely playing him into her hands
Hawkeye - Loki catching the arrow, mocking how unimpressive and ineffectual Clint is until... *tick tick BOOM*
Hulk - smashing Loki around like a ragdoll

Like, it's a small thing, but it's just so fucking perfect. Compare this to Justice League and how that movie completely fails to make each character really matter.

Whedon isn't a technical wizard by any means, he's still very "TV". But my god does he know how to go for the character moments. Whether it be a fun bit of character like the AoU party scene, the fan shit like Vision swooping in to grab Scarlet Witch and holding there, just for a moment.

Or it's stuff like this:

Great post, capped off with one of the best scenes in the MCU.

He wrote the map and explained how a team-up movie should work. Nothing since would have happened without him.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Russo Bros by far. They are the most consistent and The Winter Soildier is my favorite out of all of the MCU movies.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked James Gunn simply due to how well he realized Guardians of The Galaxy and put out something remarkably enjoyable in the process, but otherwise it would have been the Russo brothers.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Coogler. He made a Marvel film that's actually relevant to my life.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Russo brothers for sure. But Thor: Ragnarok is also up there

edit: eh actually I kind of disliked Civil War. but their other work is amazing

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I absolutely agree. I get that Waititi wanted to make the movie his own, but it rings false to the overarching story to make them that disposable.

I understand the reasoning. Feige and Waititi wanted to start the movie with bang and explain to people that Raganrok was a different kind of Thor film.

And it's a minor nitpick in the beginning of an amazing movie. But I do hope that in a potential Thor 4, we get to see Thor take a moment to mourn his best friends -- preferably with Sif alongside him.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Was between the russos and gunn easily for me. Russos transformed captain America basically into an icon, and then did civil war great...and then handled tye biggest cast ever basically perfect.

James Gunn took at best D-list characters with the guardians and made them loved just from the first trailer and got them to the point where they were the zinger at the end of infinity war trailer. I love both gotg and the guardians parts of IW, rocket especially has been handled incredibly.

Overall I gave it to gunn because I think he overall did the most with less.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Coogler is a champ. My personal favorite out of the bunch. ^^' That said, Black Panther was one of the most middling films in the Marvel canon, and one of his weakest works, I think. Still, it's cool in its way.

Gunn and Watiti are also stellar, the latter in particular producing one of the most rollicking reinventions of the MCU formula, for better or for worse.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ryan Coogler & James Gunn gave me two of my favorite MCU films (Black Panther & Guardians Vol. 2 respectively). And since Coogler doesn't have his own section, my vote goes to Gunn. Watiti & the Russos aren't far behind.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Taika and Gunn. Visionaries and auteurs.

The Russo's are great at keeping a million loose threads in order, but their actual style is as flat a pancake.

Oct 26, 2017
It's the Russo's by far. But I have a feeling Coogler is just getting warmed up.

I must say that Waititi and Gunn probably have the most distinctive style tho.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taika Waititi. He took the character I least liked in the MCU and made him the character I most liked in the MCU.

In one fucking movie. :O

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The russos just fuckin get it , man

Thor not even mentioning their names once or having any reaction at all to the fact that they died before he got back to Asgard is indeed a serious problem for me in the movie. Those things usually don't get to me, but it's even worse IMO than Leia ignoring Chewie at the end of TFA.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What makes the Russos even more legends is that the movie they did before "Winter Soldier" was YOU ME AND FUCKING DUPREE. Talk about range and talent.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Probably a 3 way tie between Waititi, Favreau (Iron Man 1, not 2 but I'd like to also give props to Shane Black for 3), and Gunn.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Gunn for me. The Russos are close though. There are some good scenes in IW that could have been messed up with punchlines, but rather than ruining the emotion, they just break the ice.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Favreau. Dude turned Iron Man into an A lister and got the ball rolling for everyone else. I don't blame him for Iron Man 2, he was forced to insert a bunch of Avengers set-up and was creatively compromised.

I really hope Feige brings him back for a phase 4 project.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
You can just look at the Russo's lineup in the poll and you've got your answer.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say Russos because, while they have their flaws, I feel their films have been the most consistent and have put the most fun superhero battles to screen

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
1. Russos
2. Taika Waititi
3. James Gunn

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well of that list every director has made 1 or 2 awesome movies but their 2nd movie sucked so I'm picking Taika since he has only made 1 awesome movie so far lmao

Like example the Russo's + loved Winter spldier/Infinity War but man - civil war was stupid as fuck

Jon Farve + love iron Man 1, - iron Man 2 which was mehh

James Gunnn I fucking loved +Guardians of the Galaxy 1, was my favorite MCU movie for a while but -Guardians 2 was a letdown was boring for more than half the movie

Joss wheadon +avengers 1 was good but -2 what a messsss...

Peyton read both ant man films were good imo but ....they lack that ambitious feels too direct to dvd type of movies ..I don't blame the director but ..yeah

So that leaves black panther and thor movies which I enjoyed Thor 3 the most

Oct 27, 2017
Taika

-He had to follow up probably the most disliked MCU film and then made one of the most well liked so far
-I like all the MCU films to different degrees but this is the film where I most feel the directors individual vision and touch while watching it. It just feels unique in tone despite many other films also using humor in them.
-The improvised nature of the film comes through in showing how genuine some of the performances come across. Where the Russo's I didn't think a character like Star-Lord came across as well or seemed as believable as he would have been in a James Gunn directed movie. Or when Strange calls Tony a douchebag in IF. That just felt forced to me as well. Whereas Taika can take any character from the previous Thor movies and absolutely make you buy into them and believe in their performances.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
See this is my dilemma. How much directorial input do the Russo bros have when it comes to the action of the films, especially the heavy CGI ones?
They are still the best of the bunch but damn it I have soft spot for Favreau for IM1 and Whedon for Avengers. Hell, I think all the directors from Phase 1 are the best mainly because they are the one's who shaped the MCU (except for Leterrier).

Its Raimi ;)

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coogler. Aside from the CGI scenes which he did not direct or had control over, loved what he did with Black Panther

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Russo's are pretty boring direction-wise honestly. The likes of Civil War, The Winter Soldier and Infinity War are enjoyable, but don't really stand out from a directorial point of view. If you'd ask me what is "typically Russo Brothers", I wouldn't be able to give you an answer.

I would say my favourite is Taika Waititi, who really directed the shit out of Ragnarok. It's impressive how much of his own style and mannerisms he was able to include in Ragnarok. Outside of that, Ragnarok also has many really inspired directorial choices. And also, I will never not be impressed how Waititi took the most boring character in the entire MCU and turn in the best MCU movie.

After that comes James Gunn. Because while I really dislike the first Guardians of the Galaxy (the second is much better, IMO), he was also able to really shape those movies to his vision. GotG 2 is also the only MCU movie that really nails it's themes IMO.

Finally I would say Coogler is third. Black Panther might have some issues with the third act, but the first two acts are excellent and again, it's impressive how much of hinself Coogler was able to put in the movie. I would've never expected a MCU movie to really try (and mostly succeed) to tackle racism like this.

EDIT: Also special mention to Joss Whedon, who pretty much created the template for what we now see as a Marvel movie with the first Avengers (together with Feige of course). While I'm a vocal critic of that template, it's still an impressive feat.

One of my very few issues with Ragnarok is that the amazing comedy overshadows a couple moments that should otherwise be very emotional.

I'm mainly referring to the completely random deaths of the Warriors Three. Those were important characters in the original Thor and it bothers me that they were killed off like that, with basically no mention of them after.
Outside of hardcore comic book fans, nobody cares about the Warriors Three. They were as disposable as Kat Dennings' character, and I say this as a huge Ray Stevenson fan.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
One shots: Hard to choose between Waititi and Branagh. Both of their treatments of Thor were so different yet so amazing.

Multi-film: Hard to choose between Gunn and the Russos. I honestly don't think Infinity War would have worked AT ALL without the ground laid by Gunn...

Of course Whedon is the reason any of this works at all. Man. Toughie.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The Russo's easily. Besides having solid scripts, they've been one of the few to consistently have a great handle on the action. Gunn would be second.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Has to be Whedon and Favreau for me since they produced the two best movies in the MCU (Avengers Assemble and Iron Man).

Whedon pretty much set the template for the MCU and making it all work with the first Avengers film

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Russos for sure, but Taika Watiti and James Gunn are right behind them. Ragnarok and GOTG are incredible.

Honorable mention for Scott Derrickson too. Doctor Strange is in my top 5 MCU films.