• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Where exactly? Not available at bevmo.

However I did find Kona's "Hanalei Island Style IPA" which has passion fruit, orange, and guava which I may try. I like Kona's coffee porter a lot and think their lager is decent.

That would require you to get Urban Family (Seattle) distribution wherever you live. I know they distribute to some states outside WA. BevMo isn't the best place to shop for beer, btw.

I actually like Kona's Hanalei Island IPA. Total guilty pleasure beer.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
That would require you to get Urban Family (Seattle) distribution wherever you live. I know they distribute to some states outside WA. BevMo isn't the best place to shop for beer, btw.

I actually like Kona's Hanalei Island IPA. Total guilty pleasure beer.
Sorry, figured they were in CA since I mentioned bay area that's my bad. Looks like they are available at a beer store in SF but I won't have a chance to head over there before tonight. I'll definitely keep it in mind!

Glad to hear the positive impression on Hanalei I'm going to go with that for now.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, imgur has blocked resetera from linking to images so they're not showing up right now, it was probably an automatic trigger due to the sudden traffic from here. See this thread. For the moment we have to use another image host.
Thanks,
I linked the thumbnail views and they seemed to be working in incognito on desktop so I figured they were good. Should be fixed now.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like there are at least 100 bracelets left. Get over there and claim your goddamn local beer man.
Oh really? When I drove by at about 9:30 there were over 300 people standing in line. Might head back over since it's only 2 miles from my house, but there were zero parking spaces in the morning.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
Tried all 12 beers at Cushwa Brewing in Williamspot, MD.... Their lighter fare was decent, but IPAs, Stout and Berliner Weisse were all really good to excellent! Pics below, and ratings on my Untappd.

YwAV5fwl.jpg

RWrWNQkl.jpg

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Ok at least 100 people in line. I might end up with a bottle? Probably nothing tho

Edit: ya all sold out. Whatever, saves me $$$

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't going to stand in line for an hour to find out, sorry.

I've had three bottles of it, more than most. I'll just have to make sure I visit other places around town more often to let them know how I appreciate them over ABC.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Wasn't going to stand in line for an hour to find out, sorry.

I've had three bottles of it, more than most. I'll just have to make sure I visit other places around town more often to let them know how I appreciate them over ABC.

That's what is so shitty about situations like this. People fly in from out of town, buy up the limited stuff and go home, while locals who regularly support them get screwed over.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
There are two other breweries I prefer within a mile. I'll visit them more often and ABC less, they need to figure something out.

Hoping King St doesn't go full stupid when they move next to ABC :(

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Beer Capital of the World
Hit up a bunch today.

From the left: Pilsner, Hoppy Pils, Schwarzbier, Sonoma Charity IPA. Eppig makes some great German style lager beer in general. The Schwarz has some good winter fruit notes on it. Not featured is their Festbier, which is their year-round Oktoberfest beer, which you can never go wrong with.

Pariah Brewing is next door, so had to give them a go, as they're both part of a Brewery incubator concept. From right to left: Uni Stout, Dorcha Extra Stout, Some Red Ale, and Some Chinook Hopped Stout from some local podcaster. Even though I say some Red Ale, that did give Ale Smit's Evil Dead Red a run for it's money. The Uni Stout was my favorite. It takes that Oyster Stout concept and actually adds that Umami favor and cream on top.

North Park Beer Co. always killing it. Bangers is an English Mild, who does that style nowadays? Not an IPA, Experimental IPA is a Collab with Mitch Steele the ex-head brewer from Stone that literally wrote the book on IPAs. Chinopalito (Chinese Cactus???) Wet Hop delight. Hop-Fu classic IPA perfection. It is the glory of science in action. Kelsey McNair would win an award then tweak the hops, win another and tweak the malts, win another and tweak the yeast, win another and tweak the water profile. Iteration and Trial and Error at it's best. A brilliant benchmark beer.

Oct 25, 2017
King of what exactly?
Beer in general. It's straight up my favorite beer. It's an incredibly thick and full bodied imperial stout. It's quite strong, 11% alcohol but it's still smoother than other beer with higher alcoholic %s. Mouthfeel is very thick and milky, which might sound weird but it's great. I highly recommend it if you can pick it up.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Got myself a 4 pack of the Spaceship Earth pale ale from Modern Times.

Aside from the dope packaging it doesn't do anything that well. Hops are pretty bland and it's just a typical pale ale. Nice citrus taste.

Edit: Lmao didn't see two posts above mine.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
Attention fellow Brits!

I've just ordered my dad a beer advent calendar from a website called Beer-Hawk. I've only just discovered it but could spend a lot of money on there in the future.

There's also a £5 off discount code xaAWJL7PFHZ (which I'm not sure if there's a minimum spend for, so worth a try on something really cheap to test it) if anyone else likes the look of some of their stuff.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hey all,

I'm a huge IPA guy. My favorite is Sweetwater IPA, but one day I noticed a a wild looking label, then saw it was a 10% double IPA, and it pretty much is always in my fridge now.
trans.jpg

Transmigration of Souls by Orpheus. I can't go crazy with it, because it gets me hammered pretty fast, but it's so delicious.

They also make a beer that goes really well with breakfast.
122582.jpg

It's a plum tart saison, basically tastes like delicious juice.

My favorite cheap beer is High Life. Lol.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beer in general. It's straight up my favorite beer. It's an incredibly thick and full bodied imperial stout. It's quite strong, 11% alcohol but it's still smoother than other beer with higher alcoholic %s. Mouthfeel is very thick and milky, which might sound weird but it's great. I highly recommend it if you can pick it up.
Everyone has their favorites and preferences, but believe me, there are plenty of other stouts out there that beat Dragon's Milk by a wide margin. I've had it a couple times and am always yearning for something more. I find a few local breweries and several larger ones that distribute in my area have far better choices.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I've had it I just don't hold it in such high regard, there are some crazy great stouts out there man that put it to shame... It's kind of a sugar bomb to me, which I don't always mind, but it's missing a lot of depth for me.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
Speaking of best stouts. Trillium's TrillBOMB! is one of the best I've ever had. I'm just sad when I got to visit the brewery this year, I missed the can releases by a week.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congress Street is up there with some of my favorite beers. Can't think of a single Trillium beer I've had that wasn't amazing.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Modern Times' Spaceship Earth is a pretty damn good pale ale.

That's pretty good. You should try their Attack Frequency, Underworld Dreams and Goblin Rock if they're still available and fresh.

Yup that beer is straight up desserty decadence and that alcohol can really sneak up on you. Perhaps in the same vein have you tried Modern Times Monster's Park series or Devil's Teeth series? Depending on the adjuncts used on those they can be somewhat comparable, but a tad bit more on the boozy side.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty good. You should try their Attack Frequency, Underworld Dreams and Goblin Rock if they're still available and fresh.

I haven't seen any of those up here, but I'll keep a lookout.

Speaking of San Diego breweries, I just tried Bitter Brothers' Little Brother citra IPA recently. (when I saw the name I thought for a second that Phonte and Big Pooh had done some marketing deal) Quite good, and I appreciated the ABV being a bit lower, which suits the tall can format. Picked up a Berliner Weisse of theirs I'm looking forward to trying.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Earlier this weekend beers...

3cd1ff53d3ff359d25c252e90f470cd2_640x640.jpg

de Garde did a Citra/Mosaic fresh hop.

76c03cc10010cb106cc6f474e51bf736_640x640.jpg

Last can of Spirit Crusher...

Speaking of San Diego breweries, I just tried Bitter Brothers' Little Brother citra IPA recently. (when I saw the name I thought for a second that Phonte and Big Pooh had done some marketing deal) Quite good, and I appreciated the ABV being a bit lower, which suits the tall can format. Picked up a Berliner Weisse of theirs I'm looking forward to trying.

Those three MT beers are all brewery only can releases, but kegs will show up wherever they distribute. I had Attack Frequency at Toronado in Seattle last month.

Critical Band and Spaceship Earth saw wide retail distribution, though.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
One beer I really recommend to anyone who enjoys beer is the Westmalle Tripel. It's without a doubt the best beer I've ever tasted. It's pretty expensive to get where I live but you still get your money's worth. The Westmalle Dubbel is also worth a try, but take the Tripel if you only want to choose one.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
Went to both Hysteria Brewing and Black Flag Brewing in Columbia MD... Black Flag is a weekly hang out, but Hysteria I let figure out their large batch system before going back, and glad I did. Hysteria has improved a lot since I last went and I liked all the beers I tried. The 10/6 Triple IPA was so good, I grabbed a crowler of it.
Black Flag finally put back on their best beer, Rainbow Road, and I tried their limited release stout, Eleven... which was okay, but felt it lacked the heat of the style they were going for.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
A friend visiting San Diego, brought me back a few MT beers, and Attack Frequency was really good, but Perfect Talon was amazing.

Don't think I've got to try Perfect Talon yet. Modern Times brew schedule seems pretty nuts. They've always got something new coming off the line. Last I've had from them was Star Metal, which was a pretty juicy 'Road' beer.

Oh yeah, they make some good stuff. Their Brotherly Love Dunkelweizen is nice if you want a maltier Hef.

Earlier this weekend beers...

de Garde did a Citra/Mosaic fresh hop.

Can never go wrong with de Garde.

One beer I really recommend to anyone who enjoys beer is the Westmalle Tripel. It's without a doubt the best beer I've ever tasted. It's pretty expensive to get where I live but you still get your money's worth. The Westmalle Dubbel is also worth a try, but take the Tripel if you only want to choose one.

Trappist Beers are in a class by themselves. Rochefort is good too and don't forget Westvleteren. I really need some Belgium friends to get all of 'em on the cheap.

---
I've been thinking that I'm getting kind of tired of this whole haze craze, that it's played out, just give me a 100+ IBU West Coast Bitter Citrus Clear Triple IPA but then I go and get 2 cases of this:

Mikkeller Freddie Murkury Hazy Double IPA

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Trappist Beers are in a class by themselves. Rochefort is good too and don't forget Westvleteren. I really need some Belgium friends to get all of 'em on the cheap.

---

They truly are. The only problem is that they're so damn expensive. I haven't tried Rochefort or Westvleteren. I can only order an entire case of Rochefort (24 bottles) and the other one I've never heard of before :p

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
They truly are. The only problem is that they're so damn expensive. I haven't tried Rochefort or Westvleteren. I can only order an entire case of Rochefort (24 bottles) and the other one I've never heard of before :p

Westvleteren is another Belgian Trappist brewery. They don't technically distribute outside the abbey but shops in Belgium sell them via the gray market. They make a Blonde, 8 (Dubbel) and 12 (Quad). 12 used to be lauded as the "best beer in the world" and built up a lot of hype. Very rarely is it legally available outside the country via retail. It's pretty similar St Bernadus Abt 12, which used to be brewed at the same facility.

My favorite Trappist beer is Orval. [shrug]

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
It's a bummer that Merchant du Vin takes forever to get Orval distributed to the US. I had some fresh Orval last time I was in Belgium and it was damn good.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I thought the vanilla world wide stout was a little "vanilla extract-y" which doesn't work well with the already boozy base beer. I like, no, LOVE boozy beers, but the flavor reminded me of paint thinnner.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the vanilla world wide stout was a little "vanilla extract-y" which doesn't work well with the already boozy base beer. I like, no, LOVE boozy beers, but the flavor reminded me of paint thinnner.
Ditto, but I have a regular WW that's been sitting for two years that I might open soon to check out.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm indifferent to Dogfish Head. They used to be intriguing and quirky, but now I just don't even think about them. Too much good local stuff available.

OP
OP
ErnieMcCracken
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Vanilla WW needs some time. I do miss their older offerings like Chicory Stout and Raison D'Etre. Some of the newer stuff doesn't sound very intriguing. 90 Minute, BB and Indian Brown are solid though.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Ditto, but I have a regular WW that's been sitting for two years that I might open soon to check out.

It ages incredibly well. I've had a 2008 recently and a ~2002 IIRC, both were great.

I think that Vanilla WW needs some time.

I'm sure it will impove; but I prefer beers that "could use some time" to beers that "need some time" I guess lol. I'm not convinced the vanila flavor would survive the time it needs to age; alas I believe i did grab an extra bottle for the cellar. Perhaps 2025? lol

I still see Rasion D'Etre on shelves here in Seattle.