• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Hail to the One True King of Kings

DragonsMilk-ForProductPageHiRes1-Small.png
King of what exactly?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Have you ever had Fat Heads Hop Stalker? Hands down my favorite wet hop beer. Though I'm sure Seattle has some really good stuff...

I have. It's good but not even close to my favorite. The cool thing about the PNW is our proximity to the hop farms in Yakima and Willamete valleys that have all the proprietary hops (Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe, Loral, Denali, etc.) so almost every single local brewery drives over and makes at least one fresh hop beer.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Small get together to do a World Wide Stout / Vanilla Oak World Wide Stout side by side turned into quite the Thursday night bottle share.

Still convinced that even at their best, NEIPAs are pretty solid IPAs, but nothing to go crazy over.

#HOTTAKES - the best Tree House beer of the night wasn't an IPA...
##DOUBLEHOTTAKES - Born Yesterday (#Heineken) was as good or better than either of the Tree House, the Alchemist or the Dry Hopped Pseudo Sue as far as IPAs go...

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Ah damn, it's nice to see y'all, thanks for putting up an OT. Currently having an Oskar Blues Death by Coconut porter. A bit on the sweet side, but pretty good.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
The only coconut stout I've been crazy about is Pirate Bomb so far, and this coming from a man who loves coconut he unabashedly orders Pina Coladas at every chance and eats almond joys like there's no tomorrow.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Beer Capital of the World
The only coconut stout I've been crazy about is Pirate Bomb so far, and this coming from a man who loves coconut he unabashedly orders Pina Coladas at every chance and eats almond joys like there's no tomorrow.

Have you tried:

Oskar-Blues-Death-By-Coconut-morgue.jpeg

Ah damn, it's nice to see y'all, thanks for putting up an OT. Currently having an Oskar Blues Death by Coconut porter. A bit on the sweet side, but pretty good.

The best Coconut porter

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

My man! Yeah I love coconut too. But yeah, many coconut beers go too sweet, but I can't help myself from trying every one I see. I like Maui Brewing's Coconut Porter quite a bit. And there's a brewery from Costa Mesa that makes a good one, more of a coconut husk flavor. I haven't had the Pirate Bomb.

Last edited:

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Sup fam, heading to Black Hog Brewery in Oxford Ct this saturday. Any other CT beer drinkers in here?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Coconut Midnight Still by Holy Mountain is the best ive had, and im a huge coconut fan that is disappointed by a lot of coconut beers.

Never had Pirate Bomb, Prairie limits their distribution here and we barely get their BA stuff much to my chagrin.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not impressed taste exactly like the imitation coconut extract I have in my pantry, wack imo

Hah, yeah I know what you're talking about...I think it's the chemically chocolate flavor stomping on it though. There's really not that much coconut punching through in this. Most of it's just on the nose. Wouldn't get it again for sure.

I've seen the Pirate Bomb here very rarely, but too expensive. Something like $16 for the 12oz? I'd rather pick up an Older Viscosity for that price.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's ridiculous totally not worth and yes I think you're right, holy shit that's exactly what it was, I can taste it in my head all over again.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Platform has a coconut stout they are barrel aging. Their regular version is pretty decent, so I'm excited to try this.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Reading about this other seasonal thing known as "fresh hops", and not remembering if I'd ever actually had any, I ran out and got some Founders Harvest Ale last night. It was quite good. I'll keep my eyes open next year, for sure.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Harvest Ale is a pretty good wet hop when it's fresh! I've seen singles sitting on shelves in like December and had one past its prime and it's no bueno. Those fresh hops fall fast, unfortunately.
I see. So it could be better.

I guess I just won't know until next year. Thanks for the heads up.

Oct 25, 2017

There's a nano-brewery in South Jersey (Eclipse Brewing in Merchantville for anyone local-ish) that has about as good of a handle on coconut as I've seen-- they did an Almond Joy porter but was outclassed by a coconut cream ale. Admittedly, it's a bit of apples and oranges comparing styles, but from just an enjoyment standpoint, they were both definitely noteworthy, with the cream ale even more so.

That said, they just tapped a jalapeno apple pie IPA on nitro which sounds both like word vomit and literal vomit simultaneously. Will be heading there after work out of morbid curiosity.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Harvest Ale is a pretty good wet hop when it's fresh! I've seen singles sitting on shelves in like December and had one past its prime and it's no bueno. Those fresh hops fall fast, unfortunately.

I was really unimpressed with Harvest Ale this year, but found it to be pretty good in the past.

My favorite non-PNW fresh hop I've had is the Mosaic Fresh Hop from Castle Danger in Minnesota. Daaaaamn good.

Sorithin

Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland
I was really unimpressed with Harvest Ale this year, but found it to be pretty good in the past.

My favorite non-PNW fresh hop I've had is the Mosaic Fresh Hop from Castle Danger in Minnesota. Daaaaamn good.

I didn't have Harvest Ale this year, so I'm kinda glad I haven't picked it up.

As for Mosaic Fresh Hop from Castle Danger being in Minnesota and you're in the PNW, I take it you trade a shit ton?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I didn't have Harvest Ale this year, so I'm kinda glad I haven't picked it up.

As for Mosaic Fresh Hop from Castle Danger being in Minnesota and you're in the PNW, I take it you trade a shit ton?

Nah, I don't trade much at all. Too much good stuff locally available and shipping costs are horrendous. After seeing positive comments from locals on BA, I bit the bullet and ordered a bomber from France44 a couple years ago along with a 6-pack of Schell's Fresh Hop pilsner, which is also fantastic. I used to get a 6-pack around Thanksgiving when going to Omaha to visit my wife's family, but Schell's no longer distributes to Nebraska.

The majority of my out of region beers are from personal traveling, friends, when my parents go places or my wife goes to Boston for work. My parents just brought me back a crowler of Greenpoint Harbor's Facing East IPA from NYC last weekend.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Hoppy Day

f7ngt864cpyb.jpg

Pizza Port - Raceway IPA and Mikkeller X Twin Peaks Collab - Log Lady Lager. The Raceway was canned just 2 weeks ago, so hops are pretty fresh and a nice clean IPA in general. The Log Lady Lager is a hopped up Lager, which is a style we need to see more of.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Deal with the Devil day tomorrow... people are going to camp out over night.

I will NOT be camping out.

If there are spots available when I wake up and drive over, cool. If not, whatever.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
lol I might not even go over then. Probably going to be 500+ people camping for 430ish boxes.

Fucking sucks because I'd love a box, don't know if I can even buy one of their beers again with how poorly this was handled. Plenty of other breweries in the area that I can support.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
lol I might not even go over then. Probably going to be 500+ people camping for 430ish boxes.

Fucking sucks because I'd love a box, don't know if I can even buy one of their beers again with how poorly this was handled. Plenty of other breweries in the area that I can support.

An always apt quote: "The craft beer industry, where rarity has no price and stupidity has no boundaries" - Justin Evelyn currently at Bagby Beer Co.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
My brother picked up BBA Dark Star with and without coffee down here in SD. I missed my chance the first time but luckily there was another spot that got distro, pretty happy.

Also, glad to be here once again.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who
  1. Loves good beer
  2. Loves good coffee
  3. Loves beer + Coffee
  4. Finds themselves in Omaha
Should check out Ups & Downs at Scriptown Brewing.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
4af475b94a7bb0c9c07b20d335981b81_640x640.jpeg

Distantmantra - The hops, they are so, so wet.

Actually, pretty solid, really big on the dank / piney end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Had a trip to Denver recently, and stopped by about 12 breweries in a few days. Big standouts for me were TRVE and Denver Brewing Co (for their Guavapalooza specifically).

I really want a good guava beer in the bay area. I thought it was going to be gimmicky but my god it was tasty.

Also: I've gotten into drinking way more lighter/cheaper beers recently. Cheap lagers/pilsners are so satisfying in their own right.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Holy Mountain's Guava Table and Guava Gin Table are amazing. Probably shouldn't bother mentioning them because they'd be impossible to get now.

Urban Family's Guava Dawn, however, is still available in bottles and easy to find. Good stuff.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Urban Family's Guava Dawn, however, is still available in bottles and easy to find. Good stuff.
Where exactly? Not available at bevmo.

However I did find Kona's "Hanalei Island Style IPA" which has passion fruit, orange, and guava which I may try. I like Kona's coffee porter a lot and think their lager is decent.