• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer is nasty

• Agree. Don't know how people drink that garbage.

• Disagree. I like the taste of it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It tears up my stomach these days, so I only drink it on the weekends. Got a nice Founders KBS (Vanilla variant) warming in the snifter next to me. Who knew that at 45 I'd be thinking of quitting drinking, not because of the negative impact it was having on my ability to perform daily functions, but because it gave me sour stomach in the mornings? I can't even do caffeine in the morning anymore. Fortunately, pot seems to be doing the trick. Every time I do a "month off", I think I could probably just keep going indefinitely.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any kind of Oktoberfest and Guinness are my favorites. Though I can drink Bud/Coors/Miller if I just want something lighter.

Now Steel Reserve/Hurricane, that shit is nasty but I don't buy it for the taste lol. It's just one of the cheapest ways to exit this reality.

I'd like to get into more German beers, though so far I've only had Warsteiner pilsners and dunkels.

Last edited:

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Bad beer is gross. Good beer is pleasant though, and of course there are a ton of varieties and flavors out there.

I wouldn't drink it if it wasn't alcoholic, though. Not really something I would seek out for flavor alone.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
If we're talking IPAs or stouts I agree but I love a good wheat beer, some lagers are pretty good especially with spicy food and I recently discovered sour beers and they're amazing. I'd recommend sour beer to anyon that doesn't like beer normally, it's a completely different taste.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I'm horrible at identifying flavor profiles, but in general, if the beer has a nutty taste, I like it. Anything else? Tastes like straight acid.

What are some good "nutty" beers?

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I did my best to try to like it since people are so conditioned to "get a beer"; everything I tried went from awful to tolerably bad. The best tasting beers were things like ginger beer, fruity stuff, Krik lambic. Basically what tasted nothing like beer. Outside of the alcohol it seemed pointless.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
x9oTl0p.gif

Beer is great.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good or Bad beer is irrelevant to people that don't like beer. It's more: does it taste like literal 1:1 fruit juice or not?

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Beer is great, but by my mid 20's I discovered that big boozy IPAs/stouts/sours aren't worth the extra calories and stomach problems anymore. I love a refreshing lager/kolsch/hefeweizen, beyond that I'm just going to have liquor

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've yet to have a good alcoholic beverage that wasn't basically just really strong fruit juice.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I used to think the same. Just gotta find the one that resonates with you. I'd recommend going to a liquor store that has variety instead of getting the super mass produced stuff that a grocery store usually carries.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well, you would be wrong.

Stop drinking shitty beer.

Creating_Bugs_Bunny%27s_%22No%22.jpg

I'm not a fan of lager, my favourite beer is a stout but the quality of it seems to vary wildly wherever I go, so I usually just go with a cider, rum & coke or just have a soda cause I honestly don't give a shit about alcoholic drinks. My point was that if beer was never alcoholic to begin with I doubt it'd be so popular, therefore the taste doesn't seem to be as relevant for most people.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im usually not a fan of ipa's but i had one a couple days ago that was pretty nice

tasted more like a pineapple than a pinecone

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I find all alcoholic drinks abhorrently disgusting tasting.

I can't stand wine the most, but beer is pretty foul as well and baffles me how people enjoy it. No mixed drink is ever enough either, the taint of alcohol always comes through ruining it, so on the rare occasion I do drink I just do shots to get it over with fast.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful... But I may have been "tainted" by the fact that my father was way into micro brewing... And if you think beer smells awful, the making of beer smells way worse.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
Not a habitual beer drinker. But every once in awhile I'll crave one. No better beer than a cold Guinness off the tap in my opinion

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think a big obstacle to me enjoying beer is that alcohol doesn't do anything for me. If I actually liked getting buzzed or drunk, like at all, I think I'd start to associate that feeling with the taste and convince myself that the taste was getting better.
It's funny though... beer drinkers tend to sneer at malt liquors, and some of them taste far, faaaaaaaaaar better than any beer, at least to me.

Last edited:

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I used to think that, and yes, some of it still is pretty gross. The typical trash you find at college parties and whatnot (before craft beers took over) didn't help. But a good beer tastes amazing now.

Aug 1, 2018
Blue Moon with orange juice squeezed into it is the only beer I've even remotely been able to tolerate

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have never managed to finish a beer in my life. I have never understood the idea of "acquiring" a taste for something that tastes that awful, and is just as awful for you.

I always say, if I'm going to ingest a drink that unhealthy, it might as well be a soda. Cause at least they taste good.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
If I want to go the cheap route at the bar I go with Miller High Life when the bar has $1 domestic night. If I go with my normal beer at the bar I go with Rhinegeist Truth.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My headcannon is that most people who like beer only like it because of reinforcement/conditioning: you definitely don't drink beer for the taste, yet getting drunk off beer is the best drunk. It's giggly and floaty and fun. So you get used to that feeling, and the sense of relaxing, and then the taste of beer represents those things , even if it's actually nasty. I'm proudly one of those people.

Out of the hundreds or thousands of brews of beer, I'd honestly say only one or two are genuinely nice. (I've given them to non beer drinkers who loved them.)

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
If you don't like PBR you can eat only caviar because you hate blue collar america

Only beer I don't really like is coors and bud just tastes like nothing. Drinkable but not good

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have never managed to finish a beer in my life. I have never understood the idea of "aquiring" a taste for something that tastes that awful, and is just as awful for you.

I always say, if I'm going to ingest a drink that unhealthy, it might as well be a soda. Cause at least they taste good.

Wine, all wine, tastes bad, but I can always power through a glass. There are some beers that I couldn't take a second sip of if you paid me. My body would revolt.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I used to think that way, too. I hated the first several beers I tried at parties and such. But it turns out I'm just really picky and only like certain beers.

Oct 25, 2017
Creating_Bugs_Bunny%27s_%22No%22.jpg

I'm not a fan of lager, my favourite beer is a stout but the quality of it seems to vary wildly wherever I go, so I usually just go with a cider, rum & coke or just have a soda cause I honestly don't give a shit about alcoholic drinks. My point was that if beer was never alcoholic to begin with I doubt it'd be so popular, therefore the taste doesn't seem to be as relevant for most people.
Yah, I got your point. As you said, you don't give a shit about alcoholic drinks...so why you here?

You are wrong though, this isn't the era of shit beer. I frequent a place weekly that has 30+ different beers on tap then another 50+ on bottle. You don't like beer, cool. But acting like people only drink it because it is alcoholic is dumb as shit, I promise you there are cheaper and easier ways to get some alcohol than paying north of $6 a pour.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There are many kinds of beer. Some are nasty, some are not. Its like coffee, where if you're given instant coffee and decide all coffee ever sucks and can't possibly ever be good.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I love it. I have three great local breweries within 5 minutes of my house and it's awesome.

I hadn't been into IPAs until relatively recently. I seemed to get more into them as I also got more into coffee, so my palate must have shifted.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer to keep my mind in saying it tastes nasty. Don't know if it does or not, but I'm not going to get started on it because why.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Once I found the right kinds, I started to love it. Craft is the way to go. There are even fruity beers out there. I had a pineapple wheat that was really good. Golden Rod Mango Cart is really good too.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna assume you're drinking a light beer because if your pee looks like a dark beer you should probably see a doctor.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like piss and tastes like melted down pennies in your mouth

I used to put pennies/coins in my mouth as a kid.

Do you drink beer? How can you stand it?

What kind of beer you drinking?

I'm sipping on a nice milk stout right now, it's pretty delicious.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Local brewery has an incredible nitro milk stout. One of my favorite "treat myself" dinners is to go there and get a big ol' steak and drink it on tap.

Yeah, as I get older, I find myself getting deeper and deeper into darker beers. If I'm gonna have a light beer, I'll usually go down to the "local" korean fried chicken place and eat that with a japanese lager.