• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to see if any long time iPhone users here switched to android and regretted it

Reason I'm thinking about switching is because I just like the Samsung phone better hardware wise, I really liked the finger print sensor of the iPhone and was disappointed when they got rid of it, I see the Samsung s10e still has finger print though

I don't like the larger screen bezels of the iPhone or the notch either compared to the s10e

I've never used android before and worried I'll regret switching, android as an OS always looked cheaper to me and less polished. Really like the Samsung hardware though

Also was concerned about android security updates, I hear they only do security updates for 1 or 2 years?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Get a OnePlus 7 Pro if you switch, it's all display with a 90 Hz screen. It'll still take Apple at least a year to catch up.

I'm considering switching to this from an iPhone X. No other phone has made me want to switch.

I would never totally switch off iPhone though mainly because of Apple Watch.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really regret it. I mostly use the mail app, youtube and safari. it didn't change anything switching over. Although I did end up switching back to iPhone when it came time to upgrade because someone gave me an Apple Watch as a gift.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an 8 Jumbo. The last several updates have destroyed the keyboard and autocorrect functions and for some reason forced me to use the pressure capacitor (3D touch?) for basic app management.

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
I had had an iPhone since the second model (2g?) and recently switched to Samsung once the galaxy S9 released. Never looked back. I prefer the Samsung device in every way except that I can't see when someone is responding in an imessage.

Nov 30, 2018
You can't really compare the notch to the S10 "notch" because one features way more useful things than the other.

Also the bezels are non existent on the iPhone XS models

I'd recommend only Pixels or OnePlus.
You're not guaranteed updates with anybody else.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about the security updates? Is it only supported for 2 years for each new phone?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Switched a few months ago and no regrets. iOS is ages behind Android in terms of functionality and flexibility.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Unless you have a bunch of apps you paid for on iOS that you'll miss, the two OSes are super similar. You'll be fine.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
You can't really compare the notch to the S10 "notch" because one features way more useful things than the other.

Also the bezels are non existent on the iPhone XS models

I'd recommend only Pixels or OnePlus.
You're not guaranteed updates with anybody else.

Thing is, many people don't give a shit about FaceID and are more than happy with/prefer fingerprint sensors. I do think notches on Android phones are dumb, though (personally I like FaceID), which is why I bought a Pixel 3.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Samsung and Google permutations are both easy to use, coming from personal experience. I had pretty extensive iOS experience via iPad (which is a bit different, admittedly) over the course of several years, and I don't think most iOS users would have too much of a difficult time adjusting to either Samsung or Google.

Google seems to have pressured a lot of other Android permutations to kind of pursue sort of a minimalist approach, too. Android also makes it pretty easy to almost completely customize your interface, too -- not just within a manufacturer's own boundaries but you can install pretty much any interface you like, though sometimes it requires a bit of effort.

If you're really attached to the HARDWARE ecosystem of iOS (like if your enjoy syncing files and apps more easily between iPad and your phone or an Apple Watch or both), it might be a bit of a hard time. Right now I personally think Android has nothing that comes close to Apple Watch in particular, but I know smartwatch adoption isn't really anywhere close to 1:1 on either ecosystem, but if a smartwatch interests you and you're already an iOS user, Apple Watch doesn't seem to have Android competition in terms of overall quality right now or in the foreseeable future, IMO. But, omitting any interest in a smartwatch and focusing solely on the phone experience, Android's easy to use in most of its mainstream forms, and I don't think the software exclusivity is really that big of a deal anymore -- most stuff seems to come to Android either day-and-date with iOS or shortly after anymore.

Personally, I'm going from Google's version of Android (Pixel 2 XL) to iOS later this year. Just watching to see what the iPhone 11 is gonna have over the XS, then I'll either go 11 or XS. I want the strong app and connectivity between devices and I'm buying into Apple's promises of more aggressive data privacy, and I'm a bit agnostic when it comes to the actual user experience between the two anyway (I feel like they're both good and function just as I want/need them to, even with the various restrictions Apple puts in place).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of iMessage and AirDrop, (and maybe FaceID?), iPhone really offers nothing over Android and in reality lags behind Android in a plethora of ways. I think you'd be really happy with a Samsung device, or a Pixel if you're looking for a kinda-sorta iPhone feel but with all the benefits of Android.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Outside of iMessage and AirDrop, (and maybe FaceID?), iPhone really offers nothing over Android and in reality lags behind Android in a plethora of ways. I think you'd be really happy with a Samsung device, or a Pixel if you're looking for a kinda-sorta iPhone feel but with all the benefits of Android.

Sans hardware (internals, at least). I'm still pretty committed to staying on Android, but iPhones have highly impressive hardware.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Wait for iOS 13 imo. Then you can decide since the s10e will probably continue to plummet in value and you can buy a used one for $300 or something. Or get a 3a to try out Android.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Sans hardware (internals, at least). I'm still pretty committed to staying on Android, but iPhones have highly impressive hardware.

I've had my Pixel 2 for over a year now (and the chip inside is pretty old at this point), and I've never once ever felt any kind of hiccup or slowdown while using the phone. Sure the A-series chip in iPhones is impressive, but really not a selling point for 95% of phone users I'd say.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I switched and will be going back to Apple this year...I don't hate Android or anything but I've had more issues with this phone and OS than I did with all my years with Apple.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You mean build quality or speed? Snapdragon 855 is neck-and-neck with Apple's A12 chip in benchmarks, OnePlus 7 Pro outperforms iPhone XS in real-world usage, and there's several phones that beat out the iPhone in aesthetics (Galaxy phones, OnePlus 7 Pro, etc..). So not sure what you mean there.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The Apple ecosystem really is a huge advantage. This is what I'd be missing ignoring if I totally switched over:
  • All my passwords being in the iCloud
  • Apple Watch functionality
  • Seeing my fitness data
  • My Pages documents syncing from my iPad and MacBook to my iPhone
  • My Photos syncing over
  • iMessage (actually less important for me than the others)
  • Apple TV controls
Off the top of my head. I'd have to keep two phones with me at all times. Which I am considering.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I switched for a bit when the original Pixel came out, and ended up going back in a few months. I took too many QOL features from Apple for granted, and found aspects of the Android ecosystem obnoxiously obtuse. Android is more customizable, but I don't really care to fiddle with the level of features that allows me, I just want to use a phone that works well, and eases well into my daily life. I will say that, being an owner of a Macbook and iPad, my experience might be compounded because suddenly my phone doesn't just talk to my other devices like it used to, and was suddenly actually a big obstacle in some cases. But the other side of that is that when you are in the Apple ecosystem, it really is easy to take for granted how seamlessly everything works together.

I do agree that, in a perfect world, I could use the hardware of say a Galaxy. But no device or platform will ever satisfy 100% of your desires, you're going to need to make concessions somewhere with anything. For me, the benefit of a mildly better camera in the Pixel or some hardware nice-to-haves isn't enough to compensate for my phone suddenly needing to work harder to keep its place in my workflow. And plus, I believe Apple will bring Touch ID back in the next couple years, as an in-display feature.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Was a yearly iPhone user from 2009-2016. Bought a Hauwei P20 last year and am still shocked at how advanced the phone/OS is.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly give iOS 13 a try. Sure, a lot of the features are on Android already, but if you like iOS at some level, iOS13 fixes a lot of annoyances. The swipe keyboard is great, and Face ID is much improved even on my iPhone X

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Apple ecosystem really is a huge advantage. This is what I'd be missing ignoring if I totally switched over:
  • All my passwords being in the iCloud
  • Apple Watch functionality
  • Seeing my fitness data
  • My Pages documents syncing from my iPad and MacBook to my iPhone
  • My Photos syncing over
  • iMessage (actually less important for me than the others)
  • Apple TV controls
Off the top of my head. I'd have to keep two phones with me at all times. Which I am considering.

• Android offers cloud stored passwords. I use it every day.
  • Plenty of smart watches on Android (although yes, Apple Watch is the best)
  • Fitness data is easily accessible on Android
  • Google Docs offers the same
  • Google Photos offers the same
  • No current iMessage alternative, but RCS is gaining traction on Android
  • There's 3rd party apps on Android that allow you to control Apple TV

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds dumb but I've got an X right now and I thought about switching as well. Really the one that almost got be was the Essential. I really liked that phone. (Might have been the only one that did, too lol)

But switching back and forth between ecosystems is a huge pain in the ass. Ultimately I realized I just want my next iPhone to be an improved 6S+. I really liked that phone a lot.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm switching to a OnePlus 7 Pro this year. I'm glad Apple is finally embracing the swipe keyboard in iOS 13 though.

Jul 26, 2018
I was a iphone user for a few years... been using my 5S from 2014 until Now. I've recently just upgraded to a Samsung S10+ which is a huge upgrade and for me, it's worth it.

I highly recommend getting a S10 or S10+ but the new Oneplus phone is also a good option too due to it's 90Hz screen and full screen with no bezels. But the 90Hz drains the battery which is a downfall. Basically the S10+ battery can last longer than the 90Hz.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I liked the multitasking on android too, I can't believe Apple hasn't done this yet, using 2 apps at once

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
You mean build quality or speed? Snapdragon 855 is neck-and-neck with Apple's A12 chip in benchmarks, OnePlus 7 Pro outperforms iPhone XS in real-world usage, and there's several phones that beat out the iPhone in aesthetics (Galaxy phones, OnePlus 7 Pro, etc..). So not sure what you mean there.

Didn't realize how close it comes. That hasn't been the case for years, and of course many phones sold don't yet offer it. By the time I can get a Pixel or something reasonably-sized with a fairly "pure" OS, the A13 will probably be around the corner. But it's great that they've improved to such a degree.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
User Banned (1 Day): Platform War; history of infractions for similar behavior.
I've never used android before and worried I'll regret switching, android as an OS always looked cheaper to me and less polished.
you'll be back after the first laggy sub 20 fps scroll on an android OS, don't worry

it's nice to try new things, makes you appreciate what you have and take for granted on iOS. the One plus 6T made me consider it at one point as well, but then reality kicked in. iOS is unmatched

Oct 25, 2017
México
In my country, you can see people using Android and iOS in a more equally way. Well, not really... Like 30% iOS vs 70% Android. But we all coexist. Why? Because we don't use a platform exclusive messenger. We use WhatsApp here (and most of the rest of the world uses it too).

In the USA, Apple has the citizens by the balls with iMessage. You iOS users can say whatever you want, but the real advantage of iOS over Android is iMessage. It's not the camera, it's not the OS itself... It's iMessage.

iMessage is basically WhatsApp but preinstalled exclusively in iOS.

If you are in the USA, you won't like Android solely because iMessage.

Oct 25, 2017
México
you'll be back after the first laggy sub 20 fps scroll on an android OS, don't worry

it's nice to try new things, makes you appreciate what you have and take for granted on iOS. the One plus 6T made me consider it at one point as well, but then reality kicked in. iOS is unmatched
The only laggy 20 fps Android phones are the budget ones. I don't know what are you talking about. Android phones are way more advanced than iOS in almost everything.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
If you make a switch, just do it in the same class.

Don't go from a $1000 iPhone to a $300 Android phone and expect parity. No matter what a fanboy tells you, it doesnt work that way. You'll still need to spend relatively in the same area to get the same tier of experience. OnePlus comes close to bucking that trend, but even they fall slightly short (Camera, Official Water proofing etc).

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you make a switch, just do it in the same class.

Don't go from a $1000 iPhone to a $300 Android phone and expect parity. No matter what a fanboy tells you, it doesnt work that way. You'll still need to spend relatively in the same area to get the same experience. OnePlus comes close to bucking that trend, but even they fall slightly short.
I may try to wait until the pixel 4 and see how it compares to Samsung and iPhone

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
If you are familiar with How you would treat a windows machine and the tricks websites pull with "YOU HAVE A VIRUS!" or whatever then you will be fine. I've bounced between HTC,Samsung, iPhone and such and I prefer iPhone it really depends on what your personal tastes are. Coke or Pepsi, Xbox or Playstation, Ketchup or Mustard, there is a lot of overlap in what they do it's just how they get you there. See if you can borrow a nice android phone from someone for a bit and see if you like it.

Oct 27, 2017
I did the opposite. Android had begun to feel like a dumpster fire to me so I switched back to Apple last November and I haven't regretted it for a second. I'd advise borrowing someone's phone and see if you like it first.