• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The pumpkins missing the big red lips which is a signature of blackface.
Put me on the list of not seeing the blackface on the Jack'O Laterns. It's only the vaguest resemblance.

blackface_3910.jpg

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
To all those quoting me the eyes are very evocative of old cartoons like the one I shared and the white mouth out of old blackface movies n shit like the one I shared second

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
definitely a stretch but this is how these stories should end. a seemingly innocent thing happens, a group of people speak up and say "hey that could be interpreted in this way and that makes us uncomfortable", and then the people behind the seemingly innocent thing, instead of getting defensive and decrying SJW's or whatever, take a step back and say "we hear you, we're changing the thing"

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't really see it, but if someone complains, pull it. No benefit to keeping it there

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're glow in the dark- it'd explain using the white paint as that's the classic base version.

I was also expecting red lips, as that's the big thing that would make it go from skeleton to caricature, and this is not really that. But changing them to bright Halloween orange in the future is an easy fix to avoid any issues.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have thrown a fit if they had accentuated the lips or made them red or something.

I'm white so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I don't think a black colored pumpkin with a face is black face.

Seems like its going for a skeleton theme anyway,

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm going with no. What other color are you supposed to use on black? White stands out the most, especially at night. This is being way too sensitive, in my opinion.
Yes, what other highly visible color could they possibly use for a Halloween-themed decoration?

s-l640.jpg

Was it intended to evoke racist caricature? I highly doubt it. But intended or not, it's pretty damn similar, and there's no good reason to keep it. I think BB&B can take the hit of tossing a couple pumpkins.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, what other highly visible color could they possibly use for a Halloween-themed decoration?

s-l640.jpg

Was it intended to evoke racist caricature? I highly doubt it. But intended or not, it's pretty damn similar, and there's no good reason to keep it. I think BB&B can take the hit of tossing a couple pumpkins.
Yup.

Even if you think it's a stretch, I'd still think it'd be safer to pull it. It may not look totally like classic blackface, but it's close enough for me.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The white lips make it uncomfortably reminiscent of blackface. Worth complaining about, and worth pulling from the shelves. It doesn't seem malicious; just a connection that BB&B didn't make that many others would.

Oct 25, 2017
Literally it looks like this face

Blackface.jpg
If it had big red lips I'd be 1000% in agreement that it's blackface and racist as hell. As it stands...it's a black and white jack o lantern.

If someone was offended then the nice response is to remove it; I'm not saying they should make a big fuss about it and deny that request. But I think someone who is offended by this jack o lantern should consider the possibility that they are seeing something that isn't there.

KKBB

Banned
Oct 12, 2019

s-l640.jpg

I think what they were going for was scary creepy pumpkin. Orange isn't spooky.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If it had big red lips I'd be 1000% in agreement that it's blackface and racist as hell. As it stands...it's a black and white jack o lantern.

If someone was offended then the nice response is to remove it; I'm not saying they should make a big fuss about it and deny that request. But I think someone who is offended by this jack o lantern should consider the possibility that they are seeing something that isn't there.

White lips was also an element

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not really seeing it, even with the caricature comparisons. But if somebody from the NAACP takes offense to it, I'm not about to tell them one way or another. I don't think anybody is going to miss black pumpkins with white outlines. Probably best they just remove them the way they did.
The jack-o'-lanterns showed an "extreme lack of sensitivity," according to Wilbur Aldridge, director of the regional NAACP chapter. "By now I would believe everyone [would] know that anything in blackface is offensive," he told local outlets in a statement. "Equally as offensive is that a retail store would have such an item in [their] inventory for general purchase."
No argument from me.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I probably shouldn't have used literally but the eyes are similar and it was the kind of thing that came to.mind when I saw the pumpkin

Oct 25, 2017
White lips was also an element
Granting that, what does that mean about the portrayal of faces using the colors black and white? Like, how restrictive do we need to be to make sure not a single person is reminded of blackface? Because that seems to be the criterion. If it evokes blackface for anyone, then it essentially is blackface? Is that tenable?

I can't see the pumpkins well enough to tell but are the mouths drawn as lips or as toothy grins? It looks like there are words written in there.

edit: you say the eyes are similar but aren't they just white triangles with black pupils? Like, a typical jack o lantern eye shape?

I guess my point is: the human brain is an association machine, and things that are vagely similar are easily grouped together and homogenized. There are a lot of small differences here between the pumpkin's design and prototypical blackface. How much do those differences matter? I generally think they do matter, and in the absence of a reason to suspect malicious intent, I can excuse them as accidental. Just because something reminds me of something, doesn't mean it *is* that thing. And I judge accordingly.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing it.

Seems like they were going for a skeleton look. I can see why BB&B would want to remove it to avoid any potential problems once someone complained though.

I probably shouldn't have used literally but the eyes are similar and it was the kind of thing that came to.mind when I saw the pumpkin
It looks exactly like a regular jack-o-latern face, but white.
So it's not blackface enough for some of you to care.

LOL
It literally isn't blackface though.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Granting that, what does that mean about the portrayal of faces using the colors black and white? Like, how restrictive do we need to be to make sure not a single person is reminded of blackface? Because that seems to be the criterion. If it evokes blackface for anyone, then it essentially is blackface? Is that tenable?

I can't see the pumpkins well enough to tell but are the mouths drawn as lips or as toothy grins? It looks like there are words written in there.

edit: you say the eyes are similar but aren't they just white triangles with black pupils? Like, a typical jack o lantern eye shape?

There's a real specific minstrely cartoon it made me think of but I can't remember which one it is.

I'm not saying it was immediately intentional but that it's just very evocative of that era

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
There's a real specific minstrely cartoon it made me think of but I can't remember which one it is.

I'm not saying it was immediately intentional but that it's just very evocative of that era

I think what's evoking that is the sharp contrast. I don't think any of the features are out of the ordinary at all particularly for jack o lanterns, but also in many other styles. Again if people feel offended it's best to remove it, but I do think it's pretty benign and there was most likely no ill intent at all here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Came in expecting red lip Jack o Lanterns
I wish there was a clearer picture, why is there something written on their teeth?

Black Jack o Lantern can be done well, maybe the answer lies in just making the eyes and mouth orange?
black-jack-o-lantern-pumkins-halloween.jpg

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
They likely went with white because I doubt these are meant to be lit from the inside. I imagine the reason they're black in the first place is to maximize the contrast and make the faces as visible as possible in any lighting condition. The pumpkins were put up by a law firm in front of their office and the words written in their mouths are the names of the lawyers.

The news article is funny. The anchors say it has residents asking if they're racist, but nobody they interviewed held that view. The first person they interview is a black lady calling the reporters idiots because they're just black pumpkins.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
The news article is funny. The anchors say it has residents asking if they're racist, but nobody they interviewed held that view. The first person they interview is a black lady calling the reporters idiots because they're just black pumpkins.
NGL, she cracked me up.

Still, I get people seeing blackface in this and them removing the pumpkins as a result.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
Black face is defined by black skin, red lips. White on black doesn't have anything to with blackface. At all.

Black and white photos are literally black and white.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Came in expecting red lip Jack o Lanterns
I wish there was a clearer picture, why is there something written on their teeth?

Black Jack o Lantern can be done well, maybe the answer lies in just making the eyes and mouth orange?
black-jack-o-lantern-pumkins-halloween.jpg
These a personalized resin-based pumpkins. If seen this same color scheme/contrast used before such as below:
sqLIX6w.jpg

EDIT:

Actually BBB has these items on their site in the same color scheme.
j7AHNWU.jpg
2Kp7PFE.jpg

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Should've gone for an angry face, I'm pretty sure the grin is part of the issue for people.
I honestly wouldn't have thought anything remotely race-related looking at these, though. To me, they look like pumpkins designed to be black and white, I wouldn't assumed anything more without this thread.
But the almost human lip-and-teeth combo does look iffy, after it's pointed out.
The other black pumpkins posted in this thread look inoffensive and much better though.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm upset about anything its how the issue is framed by news articles. Asking a business to be socially aware isn't something bad or ridiculous, but this article(and countless others) really feels like its framing it as "people getting outraged over the tiniest things."