• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, personally, pushing the needle in the other direction for the cultural 'war' in the US is my biggest concern.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think you can participate in culture while being totally apolotical

or even be affected by the culture in a different way than the politics intend.

like, it's totally illegal politically to discriminate based on race orreligion, but culturally it happens constantly
What I mean is that American culture is intensely political. Nearly every aspect of your society is deeply divided on partisan lines. "Patriotism", and its reverence for the troops and the police, is constantly shoved in your face. Fox News is the #1 cable channel, and its content is almost entirely political.

You can choose to be apolitical, but it doesn't change that your culture is steeped in politics.

rondoflash

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Vote for Biden, it's not rocket science.
Voting against Trump is a responsibility of those who CAN do so.
But Removing Trump from power and eliminating White Supremacy isn't a sole responsibility of the capable voter.
The Democratic Party and the Democratic politicians all have Responsibilities, and it's unfair if the capable voters do their Hardest but the Dems/dem politicians dont.
So the Democratic Party and the Democratic politicians, for the critical upcoming election, must do their Hardest, their Bestest in making sure they remove Trump, in making sure the needs of the people are met.
It's a critical time, they better do their Bestest, and that includes Biden.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
But Removing Trump from power and eliminating White Supremacy isn't a sole responsibility of the capable voter.
The Democratic Party and the Democratic politicians all have Responsibilities, and it's unfair if the capable voters do their Hardest but the Dems/dem politicians dont.
So the Democratic Party and the Democratic politicians, for the critical upcoming election, must do their Hardest, their Bestest in making sure they remove Trump, in making sure the needs of the people are met.
It's not the only responsibilty
But it's a huge motivator

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017

They cant do that if we don't vote to give them power.

The midterm was already a solid difference. So we need to keep going

rondoflash

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2020
It's not the only responsibilty
But it's a huge motivator
I'm saying that those in POWER whose Job is for stuff like the country's Betterment SHOULD be doing quintiple time in making sure Trump is removed.

They Better better be doing their Bestest-Est.
This ain't a responsibility thats only in particular for the voter only. They must all be in this together for the world and stuff.

rondoflash

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2020
They cant do that if we don't vote to give them power.

The midterm was already a solid difference. So we need to keep going
The people need to be going while also the those with power MUST ALSO need to keep going.

With like a Pandemic and Climate Change and stuff, there must be no absolving of Responsibility, especially for those Already with Power.

Like the power of the those given with power is limited by the power given to them by the people, but they BETTER be in Overdrive doing their All in removing Trump with the power they have, and they must be at their BEST. No turning around from this especially for the Democratic politicians and the Democratic Party.
We're talking about 4 more years of Trump and Future potential Catastrophe.
They better Do Proper.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
If you're not gonna vote Biden, I understand it, but please please please keep in mind there's also gonna be a dozen+ other races and initiatives on your ballot in November.

Leave your vote blank for the presidency if you like, but for the love of god do your research and show up for the candidates you can get behind, don't just let a bunch of other unrelated races get ceded to Republicans because you don't like Biden.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I'm a white guy with a very white family, but even I'm starting to get scared of the cultural changes I'm seeing under Trump. I have a shirt with my own face on it (yeah, dumb, I know) and some giant-truck driving guy blocked me in the parking lot on the way out of Jimmy John's to ask me if it was "Bill Ayers" on my shirt. If not, who is it? Do I know who Bill Ayers is? Bill Ayers wants to see millions of people die!

That guy didn't spring into being when Trump was elected, but I am 100% positive he would not have pulled that shit pre-Trump. As states start re-opening, I expect and am worried that some of these Trump people will literally attack people on the street who are visibly taking precautions (i.e. wearing a mask in public).

The politics are hugely important, but I'm really worried about this casual increase in "mundane" violence--verbal, physical, whatever--that I absolutely ascribe to Trump and his GOP enablers.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I'm a white guy with a very white family, but even I'm starting to get scared of the cultural changes I'm seeing under Trump. I have a shirt with my own face on it (yeah, dumb, I know) and some giant-truck driving guy blocked me in the parking lot on the way out of Jimmy John's to ask me if it was "Bill Ayers" on my shirt. If not, who is it? Do I know who Bill Ayers is? Bill Ayers wants to see millions of people die!

That guy didn't spring into being when Trump was elected, but I am 100% positive he would not have pulled that shit pre-Trump. As states start re-opening, I expect and am worried that some of these Trump people will literally attack people on the street who are visibly taking precautions (i.e. wearing a mask in public).

The politics are hugely important, but I'm really worried about this casual increase in "mundane" violence--verbal, physical, whatever--that I absolutely ascribe to Trump and his GOP enablers.
Bill Ayers being a target of right wing concern dates back to the 2008 Dem primary when it was used to attack Obama. I feel like this is illustrative of why not all of the mess is a product of the "trump era"

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Bill Ayers being a target of right wing concern dates back to the 2008 Dem primary when it was used to attack Obama. I feel like this is illustrative of why not all of the mess is a product of the "trump era"
Ok I'm not saying this is all becuase of trump and that we lived in a utopia before trump
I'm saying he's made it worse and the dog whistles are now bull horns and if he gets re-elected it will be even worst

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Oh I know all about Bill Ayers.

My belief is that this guy would've kept his mouth shut and kept driving if Hillary was president. Trump encourages and emboldens these people.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
2016 needs to be the last time white supremacists get a national win.
Yes, there will still be Steve King's in office but they will be reduced just to their shitty districts.

To stop that there would need to be a complete rebrand of American conservatism that isn't founded on racism/dog-whistles/southern strategy/evangelicalism

Which is to say...we're always going to get white nationalists, they have a whole channel that is watched by millions, their messaging is resonates, and there are even more people who will talk down to the targeted groups about not focusing on such, "ignoring it", or make excuses for it; "normally I would agree, but this seems like people are making a whole bunch of something of nothing"

What I'm trying to say is that while someone might be apolitical or not completely aligned with Biden's politics, culturally they might be vulnerable to his competitor, Trump and his white supremacists, wining again.

I'm a warren democrats, but I am culturally aligned with ANYTHING anti-GOP

But that in and of itself is political., groups vulnerable to legislation and rhetoric of GOP is as much political as it is cultural. Especially when conservatives see the "cultural war" as a political entity.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Formerly undocumented LGBT Muslim.

I am all in on this supposed culture war. :) Mostly because I have no damned choice with nationalists/supremacists.

messiaen

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
then why even come into this thread about American politics.

i don't go into Canadian politics threads because I don't know what the culture is there.

answer me this: if your country was more diverse do you think you'd still have all your social programs?
We pivoted to xenophobic no true scotsman, very quickly. I'm not sure what side of the 'culture' war you're on?

Dec 12, 2017
We won the culture war. This is a tantrum in response to that. Now we have to win the policy war to make our vision absolute. RIP MAGAtes.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Yes we can argue about economics and climate change, and how maybe someone other than Biden might've been better equipped to fight those things, but fact is the long battle: the culture war

Uh

Do nothing about climate change and you'll discover real soon that nothing else mattered quite as much as that.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
America, being the powerful and influential country that it is, have policies that affect lives outside the US.

So of course non-Americans are gonna wanna talk about US politics.
The other person called me xenophobic

This thread is about American culture and racism not about universal political/economic ideas.
I understand there's a lot of marxists from many countries on this site, but the realities of america can only be felt by a minority living in america or someone who is open to hear them out.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
then why even come into this thread about American politics.

i don't go into Canadian politics threads because I don't know what the culture is there.

answer me this: if your country was more diverse do you think you'd still have all your social programs?
Global hegemon says what? You Americans stick your business into all of ours.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Act 1: The US bombs and targets different countries through the entirety of the 20th century and the first two decades of the 21st century

Act 2: People all around the world learn that they should pay attention to the US because they might cause the destruction of their way of life in the future

Act 3: Some US person asks "why do you care so much about our politics?"

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

This thread is about American culture and racism not about universal political/economic ideas.
I understand there's a lot of marxists from many countries on this site, but the realities of america can only be felt by a minority living in america or someone who is open to hear them out.
Al Il initially commented on was my own (educated) opinion about the prospects for large scale change no matter who wins. Is that ignoring your lived experiences for me to weigh in like that?

Jun 10, 2018
The problem with this worldview is that it relegates the election of Trump and the seemingly subsequent propagation of hatred/anti-intellectualism as an isolated event.

Voting is not enough, we need to seriously address the underlying mechanisms of our government which hold in place so many institutions/laws detrimental to the lives of the underprivileged so that a Trump (or Reagan, who in my opinion was far worse) doesn't happen again.

And if you're one of those people whose political activism extends only to voting, then I'd argue you're no different than the nonvoter since you're choosing the most passive route possible to influence change.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This thread is about white supremacy, conspirational thinking and other issues AMERICANS face inside their country. If y'all want to talk foreign policy make another thread

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
The state of american culture is what brought us to Trump in the first place and the rot at its core isn't going anywhere and connot be solved in one day at the ballot box, let alone for a disaster in the wings like Biden.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
The problem with this worldview is that it relegates the election of Trump and the seemingly subsequent propagation of hatred/anti-intellectualism as an isolated event.

Voting is not enough, we need to seriously address the underlying mechanisms of our government which hold in place so many institutions/laws detrimental to the lives of the underprivileged so that a Trump (or Reagan, who in my opinion was far worse) doesn't happen again.

And if you're one of those people whose political activism extends only to voting, then I'd argue you're no different than the nonvoter since you're choosing the most passive route possible to influence change.
Voting is the bare minimum yes.

and yet people DONT VOTE

rondoflash

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2020

Marxist? What?
Regardless of like how many Marxists are found within a country, the US, whether through DIRECT POLICY or through indirect effect via influence, is GONNA affect other countries by virtue of it being a super power

And with regards to climate change, well, the US better start keeping its act together NOW, cos Climate change is a GLOBAL ISSUE, not just a US one.

Dec 12, 2017
Except it's the biggest threat to everyone's livelihood regardless of socioeconomic class
I think it's fine to say that POC have more pressing concerns than climate change. They are dying right now from a direct consequence of racist policies. It's also true that climate change is also going to a greatly affect POC as temps increase. It's just a matter of what is the most clear and present danger in your life.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Islamaphobe, racist, conspiracy theorist, misogynist, troll, and white supremacist has had this message in mind since 2016:

"My guy is in the White House"

they have been riding this high for 4 years and who knows what the lasting effect of them feeling so empowered and validated will be.

They have had "their guy" in the White House throughout American history. Racism has ruled the nation over nearly its entirety, arguably its entirety. And this is my problem with your argument. In 2000 George W. Bush ran with the lie that John McCain had fathered an illegitimate black child. In the 90s Bill Clinton made huge welfare cuts and signed into law a deeply-racist crime bill. In 1988 there was Willie Horton. In 1980 Reagan had the Southern Strategy. Racism is a constant in American politics.

The idea that Trump is a unique phenomenon, and that somehow voting for neoliberal racist Joe Biden will repudiate white supremacy for good, is a pipe dream.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Ok, so for everyone worried about American foreign policy and American green policy, who should Americans vote for in November

Oct 27, 2017

That part.

The rot runs deep, and we need some serious legislation to even begin combating it. Like why the fuck are there STILL no hate-speech laws? Not even a gesture of compassion to minorities exist in this country.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
They have had "their guy" in the White House throughout American history. Racism has ruled the nation over nearly its entirety, arguably its entirety. And this is my problem with your argument. In 2000 George W. Bush ran with the lie that John McCain had fathered an illegitimate black child. In the 90s Bill Clinton made huge welfare cuts and signed into law a deeply-racist crime bill. In 1988 there was Willie Horton. In 1980 Reagan had the Southern Strategy. Racism is a constant in American politics.

The idea that Trump is a unique phenomenon, and that somehow voting for neoliberal racist Joe Biden will repudiate white supremacy for good, is a pipe dream.
Those guys were quiet racists. Trump is a loud racist.
it's literally culturally ok towear modern white hoods now becuase of this MAGA fuck

that's what I'm trying to say

Yea racism and all that existed before trump.
but he's made it culturally acceptable and if he wins again it can't be undone.
dotn y'all understand what I'm saying

rondoflash

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Some minorities don't have the privilege of the climate being the biggest threat to their livelihood
Well minorities can have both racism, direct and instituinalo, and racial policies and Climate Change be both the biggest threats in their lives.

Thus, these thing must be tackled SIMULTANEOUSLY and interconnectedly, or else we end up with Whites-only Green New Deal or something..

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
What we have to do won't be solved by voting. We have to directly challenge their sources of information and present the results of the better way we do things. We also have to form better connections socially but that one is a big challenge and a tall ask for most of us fed up with these assholes.

Why is that at odds with voting? Why can't you do both?

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I'm looking south at a country that is embracing fascism and not even looking back anymore. It's ugly, vile and voting for Joe Biden is slapping a coat of paint on a burning building.
Thats a fucking bullshit analogy

Joe Biden is a fireman coming in, maybe he stutters, maybe he used to be friends with racist, but once he puts out the fire the people who rebuild the house are LITERALLY EVERYONES FAVORITE POLITICIANS.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voting in Obama didn't prevent Trump from getting in. Voting in Biden won't prevent another Trump from coming in either. A lot of the grievances the racists have are borne of a misdirected resentment from failures of the government to address issues like income inequality or labor rights. So perhaps the step we should take to counteract that culture of white supremacy is to...take care of people.

rondoflash

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Voting is the bare minimum yes.

and yet people DONT VOTE
Voting is a bare minimum, but the Removal of trump isn't a Responsbility of ONLY THE VOTERS.

The Democratic Politicians and the Democratic Party also have their parts, and their parts are huge so they better do their part the Bestest and Hardest they can and they better treat the upcoming election as the Critical super important election that it is.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those guys were quiet racists. Trump is a loud racist.
it's literally culturally ok towear modern white hoods now becuase of this MAGA fuck

that's what I'm trying to say

Yea racism and all that existed before trump.
but he's made it culturally acceptable and if he wins again it can't be undone.
dotn y'all understand what I'm saying

I think the issue here is that voting for Joe Biden is not going to make white supremacists go back into hiding. The genie is out of the bottle. That's not going away just because a Democrat gets in office and says "Racism is bad again". It won't even happen if Democrats implement anti-racist policies, because the rot is too far deep. There's too much juice the GOP can still squeeze out, too much institutional power to be dislodged so quickly, too much entanglement between economics and culture and race and class and so forth. This is an issue that will take generations to heal, and it requires a deeper and more incisive, more integrated, more (frankly) left wing politics than the party is willing to offer right now to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.