• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a link to said playlist? Looked on Spotify and all I can find is random playlists with just the first 2 packs.

Edit: Found it.

MoFo2

Oct 27, 2017
The update is out now (on PSVR at least). I like the new songs, the two last ones are good for doing squats.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
New songs are nice but I swear every time they update this game it gets buggier

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I played through all the new tracks now. They're very nice.

But at least on Oculus Quest the game has severe frame rate issue now.
Its looks like they have introduced a visual upgrade for Quest with the lated patch. Walls have some transparency now and the cubes have a little more detail/geometry now and look more like the ones on PSVR.
But, its not worth the abysmal frame rate.
On Expert+ at least it never felt completely smooth and several times in every song the frame rate drops notably.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one with these issues, I would recommend not updating on the Quest until the performance issues are fixed:

Last edited:
May 7, 2018
Really good songs on the OST3... felt awesome... unlike the camelia pack.

That said, did they change something in scoring? I ask because I almost SS Overkill and got SS on legend first try...

Prior to this patch I had never SS'd a song... It always felt impossible. I just got my platinum trophy S2

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Really good songs on the OST3... felt awesome... unlike the camelia pack.

That said, did they change something in scoring? I ask because I almost SS Overkill and got SS on legend first try...

Prior to this patch I had never SS'd a song... It always felt impossible. I just got my platinum trophy S2

Here are the Patch Notes
What's in?

• Original Soundtrack Vol. 3 with 6 free new songs.
  • Color scheme (for notes/sabers, obstacles and lights) override and customization.
  • Level environment override.
  • More precise swing angles detection.
  • Improved lighting.
  • Tweaked note jump start positions and speed in Expert+ difficulty for Crystallized, Cycle Hit and WHAT THE CAT!?
  • Minor fixes in WHAT THE CAT!? beatmaps.
  • Fixed bug when game doesn't start properly if player data gets somehow corrupted.

They added a better swing angle detection, this might affect your scores.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The color picker is more of a god send than I thought. I hate when they change the default colors for certain songs.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played through all the new tracks now. They're very nice.

But at least on Oculus Quest the game has severe frame rate issue now.
Its looks like they have introduced a visual upgrade for Quest with the lated patch. Walls have some transparency now and the cubes have a little more detail/geometry now and look more like the ones on PSVR.
But, its not worth the abysmal frame rate.
On Expert+ at least it never felt completely smooth and several times in every song the frame rate drops notably.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one with these issues, I would recommend not updating on the Quest until the performance issues are fixed:

The developer said there's indeed issues on the Oculus Quest version, but not from the latest update. Seems they are investigating it now.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I found a new awesome track.
Vivaldi + Beat Saber = amazing

Also, I love these stupid S3RL tracks.

The developer said there's indeed issues on the Oculus Quest version, but not from the latest update. Seems they are investigating it now.

Yeah, I don't know. It's a little weird. Right after the update I had massive drops. But by the next day the massive drops were gone. But it still generally feels less smooth than before the update.
But its okay, its not unplayable.

I'm just a bit sad that I lost all my local highscores in the transition. Or at least I can't load the backup without downgrading to the previous Beat Saber version.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I did some research and apparently the Steam version of the game never went on sale? I want to get it on PS4 and was waiting for a deal, but then I found out it never had one on PC so I guess I was just losing time lol

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Woo! Panic! At the Disco pack coming next week! What do people want to see included? I'd love and expect This is Gospel, but also (and I don't expect this) New Perspective from the Jennifer's Body soundtrack. Also This Green Gentleman, but I don't know if that would quite fit BS.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Never got into Panic!, but I'm definitely more excited about this than the Imagine Dragons pack (which I bought upon release then proceeded to play for like 10 minutes total).

Nice to be getting new music so soon after OST3.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did some research and apparently the Steam version of the game never went on sale? I want to get it on PS4 and was waiting for a deal, but then I found out it never had one on PC so I guess I was just losing time lol

It was in early access and was cheaper than the PS4, until it exit early access earlier this year and the dev bring it to the same price as the PS4 one.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Getting into maps with streams and drumrolls opens up a whole new aspect of Beat Saber.
It's crazy. It feels like everyday I find new maps which are more fun than anything I played before.
Blasting through those streams of blocks is so insanely satisfying. Its such a weird state of mind since you don't really think about what you are doing but just follow the instincts and intuitions the music and visual cues have thought you over the past few months.
This is probably old news to rhythm gamers but its new to me and I love it.

Also the mod support for Quest is just ever increasing.
Sidequest is so convenient and well made, getting customs songs onto the Quest is like a matter of seconds.
Now there is a fitness tracker as well.
A hitscore visualizer mod and the ScoreSaber integration are also done(but haven't been updated to work with the lastest Beat Saber version).

The community makes this game really something else.
I really don't get why there isn't buzz around this game on here. Are so few people into VR?

Here are another two recent favorites:

Begins at 0:40

Begins at 0:55

The Quest has silently become my most cherished hardware investment of this generation and it like 90% because of Beat Saber.
I can only recommend it to people who feel like they've done everything in the PSVR version and start to lose motivation. The game has so much more to offer when dive into the user created content, it's insane.

Last edited:

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What is the general experience like modding Beat Saber on the Quest these days?

I know there are tools to make it easy to do so, but will my scores still get reset every time the game is updated? Will I lose any of my scores / data from the official songs?

If it's generally unstable or unreliable, I'm still going to sit it our for now.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Which mod manager should I get for pc? Seems there's a new mod manager every other month. it's really annoying tbh.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
What is the general experience like modding Beat Saber on the Quest these days?

I know there are tools to make it easy to do so, but will my scores still get reset every time the game is updated? Will I lose any of my scores / data from the official songs?

If it's generally unstable or unreliable, I'm still going to sit it our for now.

Its pretty good. If you make a backup before updating either Beat Saber or BeatOn you won't lose any scores.
The only thing I have trouble carrying over when updating is my custom track playlists.
I have like a couple hundred tracks sorted in different playlists and so far they always got reset into a single list when I updated and I have to spend some time sorting them again, which sucks.

It's not unstable or unreliable, unless you have a ton of songs.
When scrolling through hundreds of tracks some kind of memory runs full and eventually the game starts lagging and has to be restarted.
Unless you have several hundred tracks that won't happen, though.

Apart from custom tracks you can have customs sabers, custom platforms, a fitness tracker, mapping extensions*, a hitscore visualizer and a ScoreSaber integration, so you can play ranked maps.
However, these mods regularly break when a new patch for the game releases and it usually takes some time until they are updated.
The current latest version doesn't support ScoreSaber for example.

*Some mapping extensions are so wild that it starts lagging on Quest, though. Maybe the lastest patch has improved that, though, I haven't updated yet.

Last edited:

Bndadm

Oct 29, 2017
The Panic at the Disco pack is available on PSN. Only 4 songs. $6.99 on US store.

The Greatest Show
Victorious
Emperor's New Clothes
High Hopes

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
it's still more expensive per song than the previous packs, and by their own admission they are 'experimenting' packs sizes and prices, aka let's find how to extract as much money as possible with the minimum amount of content.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
it's still more expensive per song than the previous packs, and by their own admission they are 'experimenting' packs sizes and prices, aka let's find how to extract as much money as possible with the minimum amount of content.
Still doesn't seem greedy. I'm disappointed it's only 4 songs, but I'm sure they would've given us more if they could've.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Glad to see smaller packs, personally. There are veeeery few bands I'd like to listen to 10 songs, much less play through them several times.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Victorious is my favourite of the new songs. Got through High Hopes and Emperor's New Clothes first try which kind of makes them feel less satisfying though. Victorious is a little frantic in its pace for a mediocre player like me and it has one particular pattern that it builds on throughout the song which is fun to learn.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty nuts. Custom level where the author basically built a 3D environment with nothing but the wall elements.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
$1.75 a song can hardly be deemed greedy
It's impossible for the devs to compete with custom tracks, but since thats the reality on all platforms except PSVR, their prices seem pretty ridiculous to most players.
Like, paying 7€ for 4 songs you have been able to play all along for free is a tough ask. And it's not like the maps are better than what the community does.

I don't think this paid map pack solution is a good one.

MechaOctobot

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible for the devs to compete with custom tracks, but since thats the reality on all platforms except PSVR, their prices seem pretty ridiculous to most players.
Like, paying 7€ for 4 songs you have been able to play all along for free is a tough ask. And it's not like the maps are better than what the community does.

I don't think this paid map pack solution is a good one.

As a PSVR user custom tracks etc dont come into play when i am calculating value. And so far the track packs have been an excellent time:money ratio for me.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
As a PSVR user custom tracks etc dont come into play when i am calculating value. And so far the track packs have been an excellent time:money ratio for me.
True, but still, that way they're not going to be able to retain a large player base, because at some point you just run out of content.
And they will also not be able to satisfy all genre preferences.
I played pretty casually and had platinumed the game on PSVR after like 3 or 4 months and at that point the skill curve had pretty much peaked because the existing content didn't offer anything more. At that point motivation drops off a cliff. But that was far from tapping into everything the games mechanics have to offer.

Like, the game is such a great foundation, but without the creativity of the community and without the breadth of music genres it just feels incredibly gimped.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Any opinions on the new Rocket League pack? I think I'll probably get it, I remember Rocket League having pretty good music.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Booted up Beat Saber after a long hiatus. First time trying OST 3. Man, those are some great tracks and most of them are really challenging on Expert compared to what has come before. I love it.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So I finally pulled the trigger and got Beat Saber + Imagine Dragons pack. Got tired of waiting for a discount and got it today lol Now I am secretly hoping that it doesnt go on sale in a few days, in the second part of the Holiday Sale - but if it does, I might get some extra music. Haven't tried the game yet because for some reason one of my Move controllers didn't have any charge even though I am sure I charged both of them 2 or 3 weeks ago and didn't use them after that.

Excited to play it later tonight and I hope Facebook will help them release more songs. I don't have any real interest in Panic at the Disco (only one song is nice) and Green Day (never really enjoyed them)... the other packs are just random songs I never listened to so I can't really say if I want them or not. It would be great if they would a bunch of songs from various famous artists instead of making these 'collections'.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Cycle hit by Camilla is by far my favorite song after playing it tens of times.
Rock It by Tokyo Machine (from the Rocket League pack) is pretty close though.

I finally want to start experimenting with custom songs. Are there any of the style of those two I should check out first?

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
The Green Day pack is pretty dang sweet if anyone's curious. Nothing very challenging though IMO. Some minor but still obnoxious censorship.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't played in a while, how can they have a Green Day pack with nothing from Dookie on it? And a Panic at the Disco pack without I Write Sins on it?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I got the game a few weeks ago and surprisingly (for me... but makes total sense) the OST music is a lot better to be played than actual songs from bands (at least Imagine Dragons - and I am a huge fan).

I am playing through the campaign and at first I tried a hard song and couldn't hit a single cut, but starting from the beginning now I can play the campaign songs on hard with minor misses/bad cuts. Really cool difficulty progression, my girlfriend and I are getting consistently better together, I was afraid I would be a lot better than her but that is not the case.

Fuck minimum/maximum movement objectives though

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I got the game a few weeks ago and surprisingly (for me... but makes total sense) the OST music is a lot better to be played than actual songs from bands (at least Imagine Dragons - and I am a huge fan).

I am playing through the campaign and at first I tried a hard song and couldn't hit a single cut, but starting from the beginning now I can play the campaign songs on hard with minor misses/bad cuts. Really cool difficulty progression, my girlfriend and I are getting consistently better together, I was afraid I would be a lot better than her but that is not the case.

Yeah the skill curve in this game is amazing.

I remember when I thought normal songs on fast mode were hard lol

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, I don't think Imagine Dragons is particularly well-suited to the format. I got back and play a few songs occasionally but they are really my go-to only if I need something a bit more relaxed. The other ones are better (even if they have fewer songs).

The skill curve is pretty crazy, it just keeps going. I think the leap to Expert+ was the hardest for me, and there's still a few songs I can't beat after about 8 months of playing fairly regularly.

And yeah, I don't really like a lot of the campaign challenges, they're more annoying than fun to me.