• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat my first couple of songs on Expert+!

Would not recommend the Samsung Odyssey+ as a platform of choice, god the inside-out tracking implementation can get frustrating.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright guys, I have updated the OP and included the PSVR and Oculus Quest platforms info !

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Help me with discovering custom tracks. bsaber/beastsaver whatever.com - whats the best way to find good tracks? Or is a lot of it subjective - just watch the preview and see if it matches the style of level you like (eg matching an instrument, looking 'dancy' etc)?

Any good older J-pop/rock songs? like 80s/90s stuff?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Help me with discovering custom tracks. bsaber/beastsaver whatever.com - whats the best way to find good tracks? Or is a lot of it subjective - just watch the preview and see if it matches the style of level you like (eg matching an instrument, looking 'dancy' etc)?

Any good older J-pop/rock songs? like 80s/90s stuff?
Check out some of the playlists on Beast Saber. That's a good way to find a bunch of good songs to browse through.

MechaOctobot

Oct 27, 2017
Alright guys, I have updated the OP and included the PSVR and Oculus Quest platforms info !
Two quick things that I noticed were off in the op (which is great btw!)

• Jaroslav Beck - Kings and Folk
  • Jaroslav Beck - Country Rounds
I think this is actually just one song

• Jaroslav Beck & Kings and Folk - Country Rounds
Also you are missing one extra song, Angel Voices.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
It's a wonderful feeling when everything clicks into place more than it ever has before, you find your arms are moving almost on their own in preparation for upcoming blocks, and you actually get frustrated when you don't S-rank a song on Expert.

I say that not in a boastful way (there are plenty of people who can crush songs on Expert+, after all), but just... this game is the type where an already-special experience can become that much more enjoyable once you reach a certain level of skill and comfort with it.

EDIT: And for me, I think being able to play now with total freedom on the Quest has gone a long way towards that.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two quick things that I noticed were off in the op (which is great btw!)

• Jaroslav Beck - Kings and Folk
  • Jaroslav Beck - Country Rounds
I think this is actually just one song

• Jaroslav Beck & Kings and Folk - Country Rounds
Also you are missing one extra song, Angel Voices.

Thanks! I amended the OP

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Imagine dragons dlc pack #2 is out and available.
new songs, good
imagine dragons, :vomit:
will buy it anyway.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
I don't use this word lightly, but Overkill on Expert (I'm not ready for + yet) is one of the most epic experiences I've had. Love it, and hope to see additional intense tracks like that in the future. Feels like a boss stage, ha.

On another note - have any of you experienced an issue where certain songs just don't load? When I click on any of the first four songs in the Monstercat DLC pack, I just see an endless loading indicator. No stats or anything show up, and I'm unable to start the songs. The other songs in the pack work fine. It's odd, too, cause I've played them all previously a bunch of times...

Quest user, in case it matters.

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
On another note - have any of you experienced an issue where certain songs just don't load? When I click on any of the first four songs in the Monstercat DLC pack, I just see an endless loading indicator. No stats or anything show up, and I'm unable to start the songs. The other songs in the pack work fine. It's odd, too, cause I've played them all previously a bunch of times...

I play Beat Saber with a Vive on Steam and I've experienced this exact same issue - also songs from the Monstercat pack, just 3 in my case though. I uninstalled then reinstalled the particular DLC songs that were acting up and then they worked fine.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the majority of notes SUPPOSED to be at like waist height? This often ends up with me hunching down to play and it's kind of annoying looks pretty ridiculous. I wish the notes were like a foot higher. It's the worst during like... drum fill sections with rapid up/down notes.

Also, Believer and Radioactive are good obvs, but I'm also enjoying Natural. I haven't played all the songs yet though, and I'm not a very good player. Haven't broken into unmodified E+ yet.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Are the majority of notes SUPPOSED to be at like waist height? This often ends up with me hunching down to play and it's kind of annoying looks pretty ridiculous. I wish the notes were like a foot higher. It's the worst during like... drum fill sections with rapid up/down notes.
You definitely don't have it positioned properly. You can adjust the height in the menu if the game isn't doing it automatically on boot.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Fixed my issue with the first four Monstercat songs not loading. Somewhat inadvertently, actually, as it seems to have been a direct result of using Sidequest for the first time to get some custom songs on there. :)

Also, Believer and Radioactive are good obvs, but I'm also enjoying Natural. I haven't played all the songs yet though, and I'm not a very good player. Haven't broken into unmodified E+ yet.

What platform? It's the same for me on the Quest if I set up the guardian accurately. I have to actually purposely not go all the way down to the floor with it, which makes things slightly better. Still a bit lower than I'd like, though.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What platform? It's the same for me on the Quest if I set up the guardian accurately. I have to actually purposely not go all the way down to the floor with it, which makes things slightly better. Still a bit lower than I'd like, though.
PSVR. I actually lied about my height and told it I was 2M instead of 1.9 to try to fix things. I think it helped but honestly I wish I could just move the play field up a foot manually instead of the obfuscation. Maybe it's the floor height I should lie about instead?

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone try the new Camilla song pack? It's kicking my butt. :o

Expert feels way more like Expert+, what with the increased note jump (approach) speed and up/down patterns. Gonna take a lot of practicing with slowed down versions in order to pass them.

(Boy this place is surprisingly dead)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Expert feels way more like Expert+, what with the increased note jump (approach) speed and up/down patterns. Gonna take a lot of practicing with slowed down versions in order to pass them.

Yeah Crystallized is pretty slow and mellow and still feels like a half step difficulty increase

MechaOctobot

Oct 27, 2017

All three of those songs feel one level harder than they are. I have yet to finish one on expert (i'm a sadist and don't slow down the songs to learn so it can take awhile) and just played through two on them on hard the other night.

I was surprised to see how dead this thread is too. several days before a mention of the new tracks (free ones at that).

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I failed first try on Expert on at least two of them which hasn't happened to me for a while lol.

IMO, I'm not surprised the thread's pretty dead. There's not really much to talk about besides DLC which isn't released that often and maybe cool new mods I guess? It would be nice if we started posting a few cool custom tracks people are in to every once in a while.

I guess I can practice what I preach a bit there lol. Everyone should check out Rustic's 4 Xilent maps he did recently. You need the Mapping Extension mod to make them work (if you use Mod Assistant it's in there under "Libraries") since, besides being just well mapped, they do some really cool stuff with the level design that's normally impossible to do. Makes me wish there was official support for it since it makes the maps feel so much more dynamic.

Here's an example of one:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
SS Rank is such horseshit. Full Combo with the biggest modifiers on and wide arcs and perfect cuts on almost every block and still no dice.

They should add more multiplier modifiers or something to make SS somewhat doable (also change the abbreviation lmao)

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
SS Rank is such horseshit. Full Combo with the biggest modifiers on and wide arcs and perfect cuts on almost every block and still no dice.

They should add more multiplier modifiers or something to make SS somewhat doable (also change the abbreviation lmao)
i find SS rank to be far easier to get without any modifiers. it's much easier to stay above 90% when the speed is normal for instance.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
i find SS rank to be far easier to get without any modifiers. it's much easier to stay above 90% when the speed is normal for instance.
I was playing on Easy just to see if I could actually get SS rank.

Also I bought the imagine dragons expac (to support devs + im limited by the psvr's track selection) and man i thought they got too much hate before but naw theyre really garbage. Boring derivative repetitive stuff with cringey lyrics. I know they wanted a big band pack to draw in casuals and theyre big but maaaan they make for boring rhythm maps.

It just made me sad that we'll mever get radiohead or muse or anyone somewhat similar to them who are actually enjoyable to listen to and would have more interesting levels to boot.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Believer beatmap, but otherwise yeah. Shame they didn't go the YouTube route like Soundboxing. Also, went to create a map and it said 'you can't do this in VR', I was like wtf. I wish the functionality of SB and the polish of BS were smushed together.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Believer beatmap, but otherwise yeah. Shame they didn't go the YouTube route like Soundboxing. Also, went to create a map and it said 'you can't do this in VR', I was like wtf. I wish the functionality of SB and the polish of BS were smushed together.
Yeah, I wish they had made a relatively intuitive in VR editor. The community already had plenty of unofficial editors that do exactly what the official one does and technically has more features. Kind of surprised it took so long for them to release the official editor considering it turned out to just be the in-house one they use to map stuff.

There has to be some legal issue with using Youtube videos I imagine but like you said it doesn't seem to be an issue with Soundboxing. I just know Audioshield had trouble with it's implementation. Shit gets real tricky legally with this kind of stuff especially when music is involved.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
IMO, I'm not surprised the thread's pretty dead. There's not really much to talk about besides DLC which isn't released that often and maybe cool new mods I guess? It would be nice if we started posting a few cool custom tracks people are in to every once in a while.

I recorded some of my favorite maps and uploaded them to Youtube, but the recording feature on Oculus Quest is really bad.
Why does it have this dumb aspect ratio? Streaming is 16:9 so why not recording, too?

Anyway, I can really recommend those maps, they're insanely fun. I linked the bsaber pages in the video descriptions.

I have a lot more favorites I could share but I don't know how universal my taste is, since it's a question of music genre and difficulty and mapping style.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I recorded some of my favorite maps and uploaded them to Youtube, but the recording feature on Oculus Quest is really bad.
Why does it have this dumb aspect ratio? Streaming is 16:9 so why not recording, too?

Anyway, I can really recommend those maps, they're insanely fun. I linked the bsaber pages in the video descriptions.

I have a lot more favorites I could share but I don't know how universal my taste is, since it's a question of music genre and difficulty and mapping style.

Nice! I'll check those out.

I actually just uploaded a new map for the first time in a little while. It's from the Accounting+ soundtrack:

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I sat down with a friend yesterday and we spent like 6 hours working on our first custom track. After we set up all the software and stuff we needed the day before.

We're like halfway done and the lighting is still missing, but this is actually a ton of fun and with BeatOn its actually super easy to iterate and test, since you can just patch the most recent version onto the Oculus Quest in like half a minute.

This is where we at right now:

Unfortunately the Quest recording, sucky as always, introduced like half a second delay between picture and sound.

We're using the mediocre mapper and even though it seems clunky at first, its actually a pretty good tool and once you get the hang of it its a pretty painless workflow.
We started off with a track that was about "Hard", but quickly stepped it up and now we are somewhere between expert and expert+.

Anyway, for people who love Beat Saber I can really recommend it. Try making your own maps, its really fun.

Also, Scoresaber is in Beta on Oculus Quest now, meaning you can enter the global ranking for custom tracks now.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I sat down with a friend yesterday and we spent like 6 hours working on our first custom track. After we set up all the software and stuff we needed the day before.

We're like halfway done and the lighting is still missing, but this is actually a ton of fun and with BeatOn its actually super easy to iterate and test, since you can just patch the most recent version onto the Oculus Quest in like half a minute.

This is where we at right now:

Unfortunately the Quest recording, sucky as always, introduced like half a second delay between picture and sound.

We're using the mediocre mapper and even though it seems clunky at first, its actually a pretty good tool and once you get the hang of it its a pretty painless workflow.
We started off with a track that was about "Hard", but quickly stepped it up and now we are somewhere between expert and expert+.

Anyway, for people who love Beat Saber I can really recommend it. Try making your own maps, its really fun.

Also, Scoresaber is in Beta on Oculus Quest now, meaning you can enter the global ranking for custom tracks now.

Nice work! Looking good so far.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, those carmelitallieaeiea tracks are ear blisteringly awful songs, god i despise dubstep.

Hopefully those custom saber colors come to psvr to get me back in :/

MechaOctobot

Oct 27, 2017
🧐

Not sure what I'm looking for; did you post about it already? I don't see anything here.

In any case - I'm excited. 😁 Wonder if we'll be getting any feature updates then as well or if those will come later.

i think the consensus is that the aug 29th date is the release of the update which allows custom colours etc

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I have a new favorite track, although I'm not very good at it yet.

By Ruckus, you can find it here: https://bsaber.com/songs/4a4c/

I also have an update on the first map I am working on myself with a friend. We didn't get to do anything for quite a while now but the other day we managed to finish placing the cubes for the entire track. We still need to go over it a couple of times to refine and so far we haven't done much lighting, so its still work in progress.

And lastly I have to recommend this video I found recently, if you like Beat Saber its really worth a watch, I'm sure you'll be able to relate: