• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this comes up every once in a while but I'm looking for another good gaming podcast. Current favorites below:

1. Beastcast - love the cast and they are really entertaining to listen to (Jeff and Abby being the best). But it's only once a week and the show isn't long enough.

2. Bombcast - enjoy it though I usually tune out when Jeff talks about retro or really niche stuff.

3. Kinda Funny - I enjoy it from time to time, especially when Gary is on but otherwise I'm not a big fan of hearing press releases read aloud for half the show. It can also be a bit too high energy.

Are there any other podcasts that are similar to the Beastcast with a great crew and follow the same kind of format? I'm not a big fan of EZ Allies.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017
Started listening to the DLC Video Game Podcast this year and really like it. This'll be familiar if you listened to Weekend Confirmed back in the day.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I've ever even remotely liked was the Best Friends podcast, but they imploded as of late and they are no longer, well, super best friends, as it were.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Castle Super beast still is better then the rest to me because they actually dive deep into 2 or 3 games instead of mentioning all the games ever that came out or the most popular bad games because they are popular.

Also Big Think Dimension from a small channel on Youtube (Gigaboots) seems to be growing into the new fresh Super best friends to me, they have potential. They are funny and they have strong opinions on the things they hate and things they love which is always entertaining to me.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Waypoint if you want some game discussion about more than, "How is game?"

I also listen to Splitscreen more sporadically, which I enjoy for their discussion of news.

I'm with you on EZA. I don't get the appeal.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Game informer and player one podcast are two underrated shows. Player one has been going on for ages too. Around 13 years or so. Game informer has the best damn game industry interviews. Ben Hanson does a great job hosting the interviews and the show.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnimeJesus

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint if you want some game discussion about more than, "How is game?"

I also listen to Splitscreen more sporadically, which I enjoy for their discussion of news.

I'm with you on EZA. I don't get the appeal.

Waypoint probably gets a little too deep for me...and I think the one I listened to sound like they were all remote and calling in...really detracted from the conversation for me.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
Hardcore Gaming 101 - Every episode they discuss a nominated game and then rank it in their Top 47858 games of all time list. They're up to 547 so far!

Retronauts - Cool show focused on retro games. I like the eps where they deep-dive into one series or company's history

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I listen mostly to more industry focused ones like Script Lock (which is focused on games narrative design and writing), Tone Control and Designer Notes.

Lately I started listening to Kotaku Splitscreen and been enjoying it quite a lot.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Retronauts is probably my all time fav, but focuses on classic gaming and obviously that's not really great for current gaming news. One that might not be quite what you're looking for, but still worth a mention just in case, is How Did This Get Played?, which is a comedy gaming podcast about weird and awful games hosted by Heather Anne Campbell and Nick Wiger, and it's just fantastic, hugely entertaining.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
8-4 Play is usually a good time, from another perspective than most other video game podcasts due to it being based in Japan with a bunch of people familiar with how the games business in Japan works.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Can't believe 8-4 Play hasn't come up yet (edit: wait, I see it just did, that's good). It's a wonderful bi-weekly podcast about video games, Japan, and Japanese games.

And I would second Kotaku Splitscreen. To me, it's one of the most thoughtful, insightful video game podcast out there.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Watch Out For Fireballs is a game club podcast where they go over a game thoroughly and talk about the context of its release and a little about its place now.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try to refrain from slagging off the ones I do listen to, because that's counter-productive.

8-4 is up there, Player One is very my-style and habits too.

A lot of the regularly mentioned ones are (for want of a better word) clique-y and I've tried to check them out but I feel like it's a party where I don't know anybody. More power to you if you are a fan of those though.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
I'll add some smaller ones:
  • Nintendo Jump Podcast
  • Haken: An Animal Crossing Podcast
Strictly Nintendo stuff (obviously), but I find them both to be relaxing and light hearted. Very good as driving or commuting podcasts. You're not going to find in depth discussions of Blizzard/China/Hong Kong or other super controversial topics, but it's nice for me to have some serious-issue gaming podcasts and some not-so-serious lighter fare.

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Used to be a huge Bomb/Beastcast fan, but over time, the thing I loved most about them is the thing that made me stop listening; the length. Give me a nice hour long podcast and be done.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
All of mine have been mentioned already. I listen to all episodes of Beast & Bomcasts and Waypoint. I used to be an avid listener of Splitscreen too but for some reason it wasn't doing it for me this summer so now I only listen occasionally when they have a topic I am interested in. And then I will listen to Retronauts when they cover a game that's interesting to me

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
My favorite by a mile used to be The Besties. I loved that format of friends talking about the latest and greatest in games and reviewing them. Does anyone know anything similar to the Besties?

(Part of it was also because of all their personalities, but still.)

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
NVC and GameXplain's Real Talk podcast.

Even though I like the discussion topics, these podcasts are my favorites mainly because of the people involved — I enjoy listening to NVC's Peer Schneider, Zachary Ryan, Brian Altano, and others, and I've been a fan of GameXplain's YouTube channel for years.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
How Did This Get Played: Heather Anne Campbell and Nick Wiger with a different guest every episode cover bad and/or weird games (Seaman, Quest 64, Night Trap, Duke Nukem Forever are just some of the games they've done so far). Always hilarious and the chemistry is great. Quickly became a personal favorite.

Let's Fight a Boss Podcast: Not sure if this one counts because video games make up only a portion of the pod (they also cover all other kinds of media, movies, comics, books, anime). It's a group of three friends (Niamh, John and Bryan) based in Dublin, they all seem to have some background in animation so there is some insightful criticism sometimes that you wouldn't get from other pods but also they're just really fun to listen to and the dynamic is perfect.

Waypoint Radio: what everyone said; great in-depth discussions about games and even beyond that digging into the intersection of media, culture and politics. Great, great stuff.

Retronauts: Wonderful and thoughtful discussions on retro gaming. I love the deep dives on specific games.

Region Free Gamers: I'm new to this one but I'm becoming really fond of it. Hosted by a group of folks from all over the world, they do the usual whatcha playin' stuff but also have episodes that focus on specific series as well and those are always a treat.

Player One Podcast: I've been listening to these guys for something like 11 years or so. It's the usual whatcha playin' (CJ will say Sea of Thieves 10/10 times), but because they've been around for a while they tend to come at things from a little bit of a different perspective than some other more recent pods (I'm not calling them old...) and they have wonderful chemistry. This ones like comfort food to me, I never get tired of hearing these guys.

Gamers with Jobs: Similar to Player One, this is comfort food listening for me. They've been around for roughly as long, but one of my favourite things that they do is pick a specific topic of discussion each week and it usually brings about some spirited and thoughtful discourse.

8-4 Play: A pod from the localization folks at 8-4 usually hosted by Mark Macdonald. They cover pretty much all games but there's a slant toward Japanese games that I enjoy.

Gamespot After Dark: very new pod from the gamespot folks. They're finding their footing, but it's a great start with some news coverage and the usual whatcha playin'. I was familiar with a lot of the folks on here before so it's nice that they have a pod. More Peter Brown and Kallie Plagge please!

Last edited:

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
A lot of my favorites have been listed but here are some on my current rotation:

General Interest

Game Informer
Giant Bombcast
Giant Beastcast
Waypoint Radio
Gamers with Jobs
DLC
8-4 Play
Rebel FM
The Experience Points Podcast

Interview

Tone Control
The AIAS Game Maker's Notebook
Designer Notes

Niche

Axe of the Blood God (RPGs)
Three Moves Ahead (Strategy)
The Game Design Roundtable (board and video game design)

Other podcasts I would listen to if I had more time would be Kotaku Splitscreen and Spawn on Me.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Podquisition and Beastcast are my two go-tos. I'm surprised you feel the Beastcast isn't long enough - honestly, I find it too long. It's hard for me to fit it all in, along with my other regular podcasts.

Vade

Oct 26, 2017
KFGD
Kinda Funny Games Cast
Easy Allies
Nintendo Jump Podcast
Switchcast
NVC
Angry Chicken
retrronauts

wingedarcher7

Feb 22, 2018
Miami, FL
I mostly just listen to Kinda Funny Games Daily and Kinda Funny Gamescast but maybe I should try listening to some others on here. I tried Bombcast and Beastcast but they felt too long for me, but people seem to love them so I'll give them another shot.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
Aside from youtube what is the best place to listen to podcast?
Sorry I'm old
You can use your phone's built in podcast app; it's called podcasts on iOS and Google Podcasts on Android.
There's a lot of third party 'RSS feed' podcast apps, but I'm finding that they aren't always up to date software. On Windows, Pocket Casts and Grover applications.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
You can use your phone's built in podcast app; it's called podcasts on iOS and Google Podcasts on Android.
There's a lot of third party 'RSS feed' podcast apps, but I'm finding that they aren't always up to date software. On Windows, Pocket Casts and Grover applications.
Thanks I'll check that. Will I find stuff like ez allies there?

Woke Garlic

Aug 24, 2018
Rebel FM is pretty good and low key. If you remember Anthony Gallegos from GFW Radio back in the day, he is the host.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
I used to listen to a few of them. NVC, Player One Podcast, Radio Free Nintendo, and Retronauts. The only gaming podcasts I listen to today are Retronauts (still) and How Did This Get Played? (HDTGPPod). I realized I mostly listened to the podcasts due to their content rather than the personalities and discovered I could get my news and content through other places.

Retronauts has a cool catalog of episodes that I'll pick and choose and their discussions offer an insight I usually never seek out elsewhere. HDTGP is great and I love the chemistry between the hosts, Nick Wiger being the reason I wanted to listen to first thanks to Doughboys, and those intro remixes are great. The Sonic 06 and Vanderpump Rules episodes are probably my favorites.

Last edited:

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
General gaming
Castle Super Beast
Giantbomb
8-4

Niche
Kingdom Hearts Union
Final Fantasy Union

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The Beastcast is my fav right now. Great chemistry and banter. When they get multiple people to play a game they can have some pretty great game convos too.

Bombcast used to be #1 but they lost a lot of the magic and the new cast members aren't a good fit.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
How Did This Get Played? podcast for comedy. The Giant Beastcast for news commentary.

I use Overcast app for podcasts. I dislike Apples default Podcast app.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
The Beastcast is my fav right now. Great chemistry and banter. When they get multiple people to play a game they can have some pretty great game convos too.

Bombcast used to be #1 but they lost a lot of the magic and the new cast members aren't a good fit.

I have the opposite view. Bombcast is still great for me. Listened since the Arrow Pointing Down days, and Jan and Ben bring a lot of energy to the group and their sense of humor works for me.

I can't listen to The Beastcast anymore, though. I love Vinny and Alex, but Abby and Dan really rub me the wrong way. No hate, I realize I'm in the minority there, but they're just not for me.