• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you watched Beastars yet?

• Yes

Votes: 264 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 113 23.8%
  • Not yet, but I will now

Votes: 97 20.5%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
One of the more surprising anime series from this Fall season for me has been Beastars.

The visual aspects of the show is kind of all over the place, but in a good way. Some of the settings, for example, the recent episode has an interesting appeal to it, particularly when they
go to the bazaar
beastars-pubblicato-nuovo-trailer-dedicato-all-anime-v3-400147-1280x720.jpg

D1nt2lPU4AASDAX.jpg

19080805260942.jpg

latest

The characters are all fairly complex, and fairly well developed thus far, with a lot of mystery veiled around each character still that I'm eager to see as they develop.

Of course, we can't really escape the fact that this is very much going to be tied to the discussion of Zootopia, which I don't think is a bad thing. However, I do feel that one of the things that Beastars does better in not just being a more mature version of Zootopia, but the way they tackle the animal instinctual differences allegory in a way that Zootopia wasn't really quite able to do as well in their use of the allegory. I feel the main difference here is that it's dealt with from a more serious perspective, rather than a more comedic perspective when tackling all of the differences in animal instincts, and provides a bit more nuance when using these allegories to try to tell a more meaningful story. While there were a lot of cute and funny puns throughout Zootopia, I just felt the issues could have been better tackled if it had a bit more of a serious tone. And Zootopia was meant to be for kids, so it's not as if it's their fault for not being able to do this, but I just feel that Beastars is able to do what they weren't able to do with their approach this this kind of a setting and storytelling.

It's just a nice, well-rounded series thus far, and not a series that I was particularly expecting to be as good as it is.

If you haven't caught it yet, I would definitely recommend it as a series to put on your list.

For those who are following the series thus far, how has your experience been, and what are your thoughts on the series?

Update:

English dub trailer:
Thank you to CNTR for introducing me to this series a few years back on the old thread. This is practically everything I've wanted out of a children's/Shonen's series featuring anthropomorphic characters, like, fuckin' finally.

And a wolf main-character just makes it all the better for me

Albums are up on Spotify.
Opening Theme

General Music from the Anime

Ending Theme

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The manga has been an absolute treat and at over 100 chapters in, the series maintains quality release chapter after chapter. Anime typically captures more of an audience, so I'm really glad it will get more eyes on the series as a whole.

I went into it thinking "oh god, furry shit..." and honestly, even though their beast nature is a topic of discussion, you almost forget you're watching anthropomorphic characters half the time lol.

Also, it's got one of the best anime openings period.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
your poll is missing a
Not yet but I will once it's available legally for me to watch since it got netflixed.
as I've been waiting for a legal stream of this in general.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The manga has been an absolute treat and at over 100 chapters in, the series maintains quality release chapter after chapter. Anime typically captures more of an audience, so I'm really glad it will get more eyes on the series as a whole.

I went into it thinking "oh god, furry shit..." and honestly, even though their beast nature is a topic of discussion, you almost forget you're watching anthropomorphic characters half the time lol.

Also, it's got one of the best anime openings period.
I feel one of the ways they treat animal instincts in the series that I really appreciate is the way they tackle Haru, and their rabbit instincts.

Rather than making the whole rabbits need to mate thing as a punchline, they make it a part of their character, but with a serious tone, and more nuance in defining that nature, rather than pointing to it as an obvious quality of bunnies.

Gives it a whole new perspective in humanizing the character, even though we still see them as a rabbit.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been busy, so I got a few episodes to catch up on, but yes, the show is amazing.

Just like with Land of the Lustrous, this show shows that full CGI anime can work very well.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Great show that's stuck in Netflix Jail.
At least it will likely get a solid dub when it comes out.

plus while netflix jail sucks, it does make it easier for me to get other people to watch something once it actually comes out as a lot of my friends who are more casual anime fans will only watch dubs and already have netflix.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the spoilers only made me more interesting. Fascinating universe they built

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
At least it will likely get a solid dub when it comes out.

plus while netflix jail sucks, it does make it easier for me to get other people to watch something once it actually comes out as a lot of my friends who are more casual anime fans will only watch dubs and already have netflix.
No doubt it'll be a pretty great cast for the dub.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Already reading the manga so waiting for the show to finish first (or come out? seems like it doing the same Netflix thing as Carole and Tuesday).

People should defiantly give it an try, great story, characters and world building.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks we have to wait but I was able to successfully get people into Hunter X Hunter andAttack on Titan because they were in Netflix. You can't beat that Kind of convenience.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Already reading the manga so waiting for the show to finish first (or come out? seems like it doing the same Netflix thing as Carole and Tuesday).

People should defiantly give it an try, great story, characters and world building.
I just appreciate how well it makes me forget that they're actually animals at times, yet, those elements are still core to the plot, and character development, so it just feels seamless.

Last edited:

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I just appreciate how well it makes me forget that they're actually animals at times, yet, those elements are still core to the plot, and character development, so it just feels seamless.
Yep, it an interesting perceptive as they feel so human-like yet still has that animal twist to them.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i was quite shocked to find out she's the daughter of baki's mangaka
not a baki reader so i wasn't familiar with the family name

Wate

May 22, 2019
I was firmly in the camp of being put off this by the potential furry connection, but I'm glad I was convinced to give it a try. It and Blade of the Immortal have both been surprise standouts this season. Some of the setting is a little odd, like the casual response to herbivores being eaten and the general lack of teachers at their school, but the characters and themes are really engaging.
And like others have said, the treatment of Haru is surprisingly sophisticated for the medium, seasonal anime is rarely capable of handling sexual promiscuity with anything other than tropey humour and veiled resentment.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll watch it once it hits Netflix, it sounds very interesting and right up my wheelhouse.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like furry stuff, big no from me.

Also the best show this season is Hi Score Girl.

So you can't watch something simply because it reminds you of a niche community of people? Anthropomorphism has been around a lot longer than that was a thing.

I had someone tell me recently they're refusing to watch Zootopia (and Bojack) because "it looks like a furry thing" which just made me wonder how the internet changes some peoples perception, even if its irrelevant to the quality of the production.

Oct 25, 2017
This show needs a dub BADLY.

There are so many small, subtle beautiful details in the animation, that I had to pause and rewind several times to properly appreciate it all because I was too busy reading subtitles. The show is a treasure so far, and I'm only 2 eps in.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen the first 4 or 5 episodes and I really like this show. What a win for CG animation.

Land of the lustrous 2 when tho.