• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Beastars Season 2 aired its first episode this past Thursday which, understandably, flew under the radar. Since there's no OP for it I figured I'd start one

Beastars
Beastars is a manga series by Itagaki Paru set in a world of anthropomorphic animals. The story follows a handful of teenagers attending Cherryton Academy as they navigate the complexities of the world they live and their own bodies.

More than an aesthetic, the series explores the ways in which a society like this, where animals may have human intelligence and social structures but are still very much animals too, would function. Foremost among them the at times touchy relationship between carnivores and herbivores, the series opening with the criminal devouring of the alpaca student Tem by an as-yet-unidentified assailant. While some viewers expect this relationship to be an allegory for real world racism, both herbivores and carnivores are victims of the structure of society of in different ways. Which isn't to say there is no racism present in this world, though the first season didn't deal much with it.

Season one originally aired in the fall of 2019 before being picked up for a dub release by Netflix at the start of the following year. Season two aired its first episode January 7th, 2021 and will be dubbed and aired on Netflix later in the year.

From this point on, there will be spoilers for season 1.

Characters
Legoshi
cIHDseK.png
Voice: Chikahiro Kobayashi/Jonah Scott

Legoshi is a soft spoken, introverted grey wolf who finds himself either in love with or wanting to eat Haru. The first season primarily deals with his trying to figure out his emotions and his instincts and to accept himself as a wolf and a man. He ended the season deciding to persue a relationship with Haru after rescuing her from, effectively, the lion mafia.

Louis
Voice: Yūki Ono/Griffin Puatu
Louis the Red Deer is the star of the Cherryton School and the most likely candidate for the school's next Beastar. The adopted son of Oguma, head of the Horns Conglomerate, before he was chosen he was a prisoner to be sold as meat in the darker parts of the dark market. He ended the series assisting Haru's rescue from the shadows, killing the lions' boss before being found. Current whereabouts unknown.

Haru
Voice: Ayaka Senbongi/Lara Jill Miller

Haru is a white dwarf rabbit with a strong will, a sharp tongue, and a complicated love life. The sole member of the gardening club, Haru has faced ostricization and bullying for her perceived promiscuity. A life lived with the constant reminder of just how small and weak a prey animal she is has given her a rather fatalistic view and lead her to seek her pleasures in the moments where no one perceives her as weak. She ended the season with a promise to wait for Legoshi.

Juno
Voice: Atsumi Tanezaki/Loren Landa

Another grey wolf, Juno is outgoing, ambitious, and more cunning than anyone gives her credit for. In the face of the persecution wolves in particular receive even from other carnivores for their perception as dangerous predators, Juno seeks to attain the title of Beastar and show the world just how wonderful wolves are. She's also head-over-heels for Legoshi after he rescued her from bullies. She ended the season in a failed bid for his heart.

Tem
Voice: Takeo Ōtsuka/Kyle McCarley

A member of the drama club and the alpaca whose murder opens the series.

Tem's Killer
Still at large

Places
Cherryton Academy
A boarding school for, at least, middle school aged students up, Cherryton is a prestigious academy attended by the primary cast of the series. Known for, amongst other things, its talented drama club with its star performer, Louis the Red Deer. Every member of which has a secret in their background that sets them apart from the other students.

The school's emblem, while looking like a triangle, is actually a paw print. Reptilian students don't particularly care for it.

The Dark Market
An open secret, the dark market is where carnivores can go to satisfy their hunger for meat. For the most part, its wares are procured from hospitals and funeral homes. The bodies of the dead put to use. There are also those living, selling of their own body parts for some quick cash. And of course, less well known, are the places where the meat is particularly fresh...

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the OP the second I saw it was in youtube and I was disappointed on both ends. OP of S1 will live on in my heart.

Yes Netflix. I... I will skip the opening credits.

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the OP the second I saw it was in youtube and I was disappointed on both ends. OP of S1 will live on in my heart.

Yes Netflix. I... I will skip the opening credits.
I really feel like Covid messed with production there. Not that it was ever going to be the same as season 1's intro, since it was a different group making it, but every shot used in it is from season 1 and even the "plot" of the intro is just recapping the first season.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know it aired, thanks for reminding me. Disappointing they didn't do more stop motion opening sequence.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Netflix should just simulcast it. If a fan knows its out, it will probably pirate it or vpn it.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It flew under the radar because it's not actually airing in the US until July, no?

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I started the series during the second half of season 1.

It was odd hearing Kari's voice coming from Haru.

I need to watch season 1 from the beginning since I enjoyed it. Can't wait for season 2!

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So the ED, which wasn't in the 1st episode, is a lot more impressive than the OP. And a lot more relevant to the season.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Woo hoo, looking forward to it especially since this is a particularly bad anime season. Haven't really found anything new to watch for the first time in over a decade.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's out now! Gonna binge it tomorrow I think.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it as it came out like six months ago. Netflix sure takes forever for people waiting for dubs.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Very excited to be looking at my Netflix today and see 2 seasons listed. For whatever reason it didn't have the new episodes indicator, so I was wondering if I had forgotten them splitting the first season into two or something. Episode wouldn't load for me earlier (was stuck at 24% loading for ages with every attempt) but working just fine now.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Orange,

Please cut Melon.

Love Capra

I need them to rewrite the entire last 50 or so pages honestly. Get rid of Kyuu and her stand shit, cut out Melon ranting about his tragic backstory, cut out Legosi speedrunning a tournament arc. Devote more time to Louis and his dad. Let Melon stay lean and smart. Kill Melon and Yahya for real instead of a fake-out at the end.

Like there's so much potential for something good to be salvaged from that trainwreck. Hoping they can pull it off so maybe I can watch an ending that doesn't make me retroactively feel bad about the series.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
How many more seasons are needed to finish the manga storyline?
You can do it comfortably in two.

You can do it well enough in one if you focus on yhe next arc (which is the best arc in the series and needs the time, since there's a whole lot of ground work done in the arc season 2 covered that was cut entirely) and then greatly abbreviate the final arc.

You can fuck it up entirely and finish it in one if you gut the next arc and focus on the last.

I'm concerned about the real possibility of that last one.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017

You can do it well enough in one if you focus on yhe next arc (which is the best arc in the series and needs the time, since there's a whole lot of ground work done in the arc season 2 covered that was cut entirely) and then greatly abbreviate the final arc.

You can fuck it up entirely and finish it in one if you gut the next arc and focus on the last.

Did the manga get an ok ending? I heard it ended rather abruptly.

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Did the manga get an ok ending? I heard it ended rather abruptly.
The problem with the manga, as I see it, is that Itagaki introduced a ton of plot threads towards the end and resolved almost none of them. Either the book got canceled or she just wanted to write something else.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the manga, as I see it, is that Itagaki introduced a ton of plot threads towards the end and resolved almost none of them. Either the book got canceled or she just wanted to write something else.

The ending stretch felt like Itagaki was just throwing shit at the wall past a certain point with no real direction. It took on like a weird battle manga-esque tone and felt like either she wanted to write something else, or the publisher wanted to appeal to a different demographic. New developments get rushed and stuff either doesn't get resolved or it gets resolved in a really unfulfilling way.

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The ending stretch felt like Itagaki was just throwing shit at the wall past a certain point with no real direction. It took on like a weird battle manga-esque tone and felt like either she wanted to write something else, or the publisher wanted to appeal to a different demographic. New developments get rushed and stuff either doesn't get resolved or it gets resolved in a really unfulfilling way.
Have you read post-Beastars Beast Complex? If not, you should.

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
I watched the first season with no knowledge of the manga. I enjoyed it initially when it was largely in melodramatic SoL territory, but I was really put off later by how it practically shifts genres and raises the stakes immensely in the final few episodes. Is that what I should expect from the later arcs too?

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I watched the first season with no knowledge of the manga. I enjoyed it initially when it was largely in melodramatic SoL territory, but I was really put off later by how it practically shifts genres and raises the stakes immensely in the final few episodes. Is that what I should expect from the later arcs too?

I felt the same way about S1, too. I'm halfway through S2 and my favorite parts are when we get a little bit more SoL moments and I'm not as fond of the high-stakes drama, but I'm enjoying the show overall.

EDIT: I was actually only a few episodes from the end and I just finished it. Ugh. Did not like the ending at all.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Gotcha. Hope they don't pull a Promised Neverland 😬

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Beastars Season 3 will be fun because you'll have people asking "wait, whatever happened with _______ ? Did they skip something?"

And the answer half the time will be "nope, it was like that in the manga, for some reason"

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Show continues to be good, but I was NOT expecting it to get that dark. That was some fucked up grim fairy tale shit.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Legoshi is starting to annoy me a bit. I can't stand his protector complex. It's almost as bad as Ichigo Kurosaki's. Is he gonna get a wake up call or are they really just rolling with it? I can't tell.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Dear Orange,

Please cut Melon.

Love Capra

I need them to rewrite the entire last 50 or so pages honestly. Get rid of Kyuu and her stand shit, cut out Melon ranting about his tragic backstory, cut out Legosi speedrunning a tournament arc. Devote more time to Louis and his dad. Let Melon stay lean and smart. Kill Melon and Yahya for real instead of a fake-out at the end.

Like there's so much potential for something good to be salvaged from that trainwreck. Hoping they can pull it off so maybe I can watch an ending that doesn't make me retroactively feel bad about the series.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I love Beastars (or rather 2/3rds of Beastars), but that final arc is so much weaker than everything that comes before it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I loved the ending and what they did with Louis. It's sad to hear that it drops the ball on the last arc.

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck was that ending. I'm not sure how to feel. There's so much I loved, but so much that left me dumbfounded.

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the
cannibalism fueled power up?
I think I laughed out loud, which I don't think was the intent.
The
cannibalism fueled power up, Louis' hairpin turn on loving carnivores, "we're fighting, and I'm dying but *gets comfortable* tell me more about Tem", training to fight without meat on principle but what the hey, another bite won't hurt, "I know we're fighting to the death after the 5th interruption after eating my friend's leg to put an end to this, but Happy New Year."

Take your pick.

I get what they were trying to do/say, but holy hell, talk about a chaotic, baffling way to do it. I'm sure there's some poetic, thoughtful words that can interpret this insanity into a way that makes sense, but I've never left an ending to anything so confused, in a bad way. Especially after loving so much of it. And I've played most of Kojima's games. I'm surprised this thread isn't more abuzz with chatter on whatever that was.

Last edited:

Seneku

Nov 1, 2017
I was left wonder who Louis was reading your replies then I realised the Netflix subs were literally calling him Rouis for both Seasons... -.-