• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Also on the point of viscosity,

I tend to think that a tin of heinz beans is too runny. They come with too much sauce, and in order to get rid of it properly takes too long to cook. You tend to either cook too hot and fast, and end up with loads of beans stuck to the pan, or cook cooler but for too short of a time and end up with too much liquid still left over.

For these reasons, I prefer the superior brand, Branston, to heinz, as they have a better bean to sauce ratio.
Just looked up Branston beans. Still too loose for me to consider it a topping for toast. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Also idk if it's just me or if it's Americans at large but idk if beans out of a can are that popular. If I'm eating beans, they're usually homemade.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
At this point someone could tell me sawdust and gravy was a beloved British dish and I'd believe them.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
If it helps clear up any confusion with regards to beans on toast (not Weetabix) beans in the UK taste absolutely fantastic. Beans in the US, from what I tried, were absolutely disgusting.

Beans on toast is an absolutely DELICIOUS struggle meal. I'm not poor by any means but I would absolutely enjoy having it for lunch or dinner.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Beans on toast is old hat by now. When can we start holding Brits accountable for the Chip Butty?

5442.jpg
As a vegetarian forced to eat McDonald's for lunch 3 times a week, this is basically what I would get. Two cheeseburgers no patty and a large fry, put fries on meatless hamburger, win the day!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I never understand marketing like this. Yes Weetabix has been trending all day, but it's 99% people dragging them for this monstrosity.
Doesn't that actually hurt the brand?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never understand marketing like this. Yes Weetabix has been trending all day, but it's 99% people dragging them for this monstrosity.
Doesn't that actually hurt the brand?
Nope. Because most of those people aren't eating weetabix anyway, and awareness/a reminder that the brand even exists, when a U.K. supermarket sells a hundred different varieties of cereal by Kelloggs and various modern posh granola stuff instead, is a win considering how little effort this took. For every 99 people that weren't buying it anyway, there's 1 that goes 'huh, I ate weetabix as a kid and haven't had It for ages, maybe I should try some again out of nostalgia'. For the same reason, Marmite's 'half of people really hate marmite' works. As you've lost those people anyway but reminding people it exists through a dumb catchy skit is why viral marketing is successful. It's a fraction of the cost of media advertising in a fractured TV/radio/print landscape.

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
After reading this thread I want a chip butty. Chips from the chipper with lots of salt and vinegar on think white bread and a touch of brown sauce.

I just had dinner and I am hungry again.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Because most of those people aren't eating weetabix anyway, and awareness/a reminder that the brand even exists, when a U.K. supermarket sells a hundred different varieties of cereal by Kelloggs and various modern posh granola stuff instead, is a win considering how little effort this took. For every 99 people that weren't buying it anyway, there's 1 that goes 'huh, I ate weetabix as a kid and haven't had It for ages, maybe I should try some again out of nostalgia'. For the same reason, Marmite's 'half of people really hate marmite' works. As you've lost those people anyway but reminding people it exists through a dumb catchy skit is why viral marketing is successful. It's a fraction of the cost of media advertising in a fractured TV/radio/print landscape.
This is literally me right now.

berts08

Jul 27, 2020
God I love beans, They are a match made in heaven with chips. With wetabix I wont knock it untill I try it. I miss the heinze beans pizza that they did.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
put some beans in a pot, give it a warmin, throw in some cheese, put on buttered waffles

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who eats homemade bacon bean burritos often, why not mash the beans then spread it like a paste??

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I dunno what the fuck the problem with beans on toast is.
of all the things to think are weird an inedible

Do americans just not eat baked beans?

What about cheese on toast?
Sardines?
Marmite?

Americans eat baked beans but rarely outside of like a side for a BBQ or in chili. Sardines on toast isn't a thing here either. Marmite sure as fuck ain't and frankly I applaud that. As someone who moved from England to the US, I don't wish Marmite on Americans or fucking anyone. It should be banned and illegal.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Boke. I love baked beans and Weetabix but that sounds vile. Here is the true Beans on Toast upgrade:
snapshotimagehandler_1296582929.jpeg
QFT. Also upgrades grilled cheese on toast.

Weetabix is flavourless and becomes gross when it absorbs the milk and turns into mush. The idea of it being turned into mush by beansauce is literally making me feel ill. There are probably cereals that can be used in a savoury context, but this context and this cereal are both utter shite

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Also on the point of viscosity,

I tend to think that a tin of heinz beans is too runny. They come with too much sauce, and in order to get rid of it properly takes too long to cook. You tend to either cook too hot and fast, and end up with loads of beans stuck to the pan, or cook cooler but for too short of a time and end up with too much liquid still left over.

For these reasons, I prefer the superior brand, Branston, to heinz, as they have a better bean to sauce ratio.

Word. Branston beans are so good I won't touch Heinz anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Americans eat baked beans but rarely outside of like a side for a BBQ or in chili. Sardines on toast isn't a thing here either. Marmite sure as fuck ain't and frankly I applaud that. As someone who moved from England to the US, I don't wish Marmite on Americans or fucking anyone. It should be banned and illegal.

Baked beans in chili??

I've seen kidney beans or black beans in chlii, but never baked beans. I don't think I'd want that much sugar in my chili.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
This thread should have remained closed, people defending custard creams and chip butty slander? Disgusting!

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
This thread should have remained closed, people defending custard creams and chip butty slander? Disgusting!
Brit here, had an American Facebook fried confused why we don't just eat chips on their own... so much better with bread, marge and a ton of salt and vinegar. I was baffled how he didn't get it.

On point, good work Weetabix on the marketing campaign, definitely got people talking.