• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
I tend to go for Welsh Rarebit (fancy cheese on toast) with beans on top.

Or a good tin of beans & sausages on toast.

I may be changing my dinner tonight.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Weetabix.png

The Weetabix of my youth wouldn't stand for being covered in beans, they'd stab you instead.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mix a bit of reggae reggae sauce into the beans, cheese on top, happy days.

I get irrationally annoyed when all the brands try and get in on the joke on Twitter

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
See, shit like this is why Scotland needs independence.
jk, if a scottish twitter did this then it'd be identical but the Weetabix would be inexplicably fried.

THIS IS WHAT THE TORIES HAVE REDUCED THE NHS TO?! BRAND TWITTER?!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It is truly a monstrous combination. Weetabix needs absolutely drenching in milk before its edible, and even then it sits on the stomach like a bowling ball. How on earth beans would work with this is beyond me.

I 'cold filter' my milk through my weetabix - enough to soften them but not make them soggy. I stack three in a pyramid and the top one is always the best - gets super cold from the fresh milk.

Also for beans I tend to just let the beans fall off the toast so I'm really eating bean sauce on toast, with a side of beans after

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
...can we just revoke the UK's ability to come up with new food items? The world would be a better place.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Beans on toast sounds like the type of food that prisoners would riot over if they were forced to eat it.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Beans on toast is old hat by now. When can we start holding Brits accountable for the Chip Butty?

5442.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Beans on toast is old hat by now. When can we start holding Brits accountable for the Chip Butty?

5442.jpg
Ain't nuffing French about that mate, it's got chips in it, wash your mouf out.

Also that's a particularly posh looking chip butty.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

5442.jpg

....this is like something a child would make when left to their own devices for a night.

UK Era, get help.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Boke. I love baked beans and Weetabix but that sounds vile. Here is the true Beans on Toast upgrade:
snapshotimagehandler_1296582929.jpeg
I'll see you Worcester Sauce and raise you HENDERSON'S RELLISH
640x640.jpg

YES.

Thick slice white bread, shit load of butter, marmite on that, can of beans over the top, massive pile of grated cheese to crown it - and then, ketchup, squirt squirt all over the top.

Food of champions, I can take on the world after that.

Stop, you're making me hungry!

last week i took to adding fish fingers to my usual beans on toast also, that was a treat

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Beans on Weetabix is obviously fucked, but I'm genuinely surprised that people haven't heard of Beans on Toast. Had no idea that was only a British thing, I'd never considered there was any other way to eat Baked Beans to be honest.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
See, shit like this is why Scotland needs independence.
jk, if a scottish twitter did this then it'd be identical but the Weetabix would be inexplicably fried.

THIS IS WHAT THE TORIES HAVE REDUCED THE NHS TO?! BRAND TWITTER?!

ahah, that's brilliant

took me a while to realise that it was real

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think I'd see something that looks less appetising this week than mac and cheese with cheetos sauce but here we are.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
I dunno what the fuck the problem with beans on toast is.
of all the things to think are weird an inedible

Do americans just not eat baked beans?

What about cheese on toast?
Sardines?
Marmite?

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno what the fuck the problem with beans on toast is.
of all the things to think are weird an inedible

Do americans just not eat baked beans?

What about cheese on toast?
Sardines?
Marmite?

Baked beans are common in US cuisine, just not on toast.

Honestly I just don't get the "on toast" thing. Why toast? Why not just eat them with a spoon? Are beans just more viscous in the UK, making them a more viable spread?

they're too busy chomping on their deep fried butter on a stick.
Not sure if you're aware and just messing around, but butter on a stick is fair food, which is intentionally ridiculous.

American cuisine is fantastic and I will defend it to the death

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Honestly I just don't get the "on toast" thing. Why toast? Why not just eat them with a spoon? Are beans just more viscous in the UK, making them a more viable spread?
It goes back a century or so. It's cheap, quick and easy to prepare and filling, I'd guess. Combine that with rationing during and after WWII, and it's easy enough to see how it became a widespread idea of a meal here.

Omoi

May 7, 2019

It's a variety of texture and flavour? The toast is crunchy and the beans are smooth?

I dunno. Whilst I wouldn't call it a meal in and of itself anymore, though previous posts are right, it definitely served that purpose during rationing, it's just a nice snack. grate some cheese over the top. Put some lea and perrins on there. It's good.

Omoi

May 7, 2019

Also on the point of viscosity,

I tend to think that a tin of heinz beans is too runny. They come with too much sauce, and in order to get rid of it properly takes too long to cook. You tend to either cook too hot and fast, and end up with loads of beans stuck to the pan, or cook cooler but for too short of a time and end up with too much liquid still left over.

For these reasons, I prefer the superior brand, Branston, to heinz, as they have a better bean to sauce ratio.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Also on the point of viscosity,

I tend to think that a tin of heinz beans is too runny. They come with too much sauce, and in order to get rid of it properly takes too long to cook. You tend to either cook too hot and fast, and end up with loads of beans stuck to the pan, or cook cooler but for too short of a time and end up with too much liquid still left over.

For these reasons, I prefer the superior brand, Branston, to heinz, as they have a better bean to sauce ratio.
I have also switched to Branston, I like the slightly different taste in the sauce