• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Can't believe there's people here on Era defending this guy.

I was taught how to open cans by my parents. You know how long it took? A few mins. They showed me how to do it, then gave me the can and opener to finish it. Done. No need for me to learn to appreciate the physics of can opening or waste six hours of my life.

I like this take on it:

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see why people are upset at his parenting tactics, but some of the takes here attacking him go beyond cringeworthy.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like BS because why wouldn't a kid just be able to google it? They're 9, not 4. and you only have canned baked beans in the house? Like what kinda nightmare house are they supposed to be living in?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I was taught how to open cans by my parents. You know how long it took? A few mins. They showed me how to do it, then gave me the can and opener to finish it. Done. No need for me to learn to appreciate the physics of can opening or waste six hours of my life.

I like this take on it:

Yup. Spot on. Some in this thread who even agree to this bullshit subscribe to this same mantra. I never expect my kids to have to struggle there are many ways to have them have moments of creativity and learn how to solve things than this. Teaching your child to fish is good watching your child struggle to fish when you can teach them is terrible parenting.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
h1Yj3Pu.png

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
I'd forgotten how finicky the tool really is, particularly when it comes to the puncture. She had it all lined up! But the cutting wheel is a little wobbly (by design) and you have to really get on top of it to clamp it down. You know the feeling? You can misfire the damn thing!

Who uses a can opener that punctures? Is this a different type or just people who dont know how to use a can opener?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like BS because why wouldn't a kid just be able to google it? They're 9, not 4. and you only have canned baked beans in the house? Like what kinda nightmare house are they supposed to be living in?
Not all kids are allowed to be that free with tech?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
She said, "I hate you." I'm sure she believes that she does.

I wish I could see the face of this guy when it finally dawns on him, years from now, she actually does hate him.

I guess he'll console himself with the thought that at least she'll be ready to face whatever apocalypse scenario he fantasizes about.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine this guy wedding night?

Teaching your kids is a thing, this is abuse. Tech her how to use the ducking tool ffs.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yup. Spot on. Some in this thread who even agree to this bullshit subscribe to this same mantra. I never expect my kids to have to struggle there are many ways to have them have moments of creativity and learn how to solve things than this. Teaching your child to fish is good watching your child struggle to fish when you can teach them is terrible parenting.
Having your kid struggle and have to overcome it is great. Have your kid struggling for SIX HOURS on a can opener means you as a parent have failed to give your child the problem solving skills to figure out something that simple.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
This is just stupid, I get trying to make it a learning moment but at some point you have to provide examples as to how stuff works especially to a child who doesn't have many reference points.

If you want someone to have an inquisitive mind you don't just leave them hanging in the lurch, when they have questions you have to show them why it's interesting and the uses it has so they can see the possibilities. This guy waited 6 hours instead of just helping to instruct or guide her so she could collect her understanding and figure it out on her own the next time. Give her the context later. Even if she does learn how to do things on her own, you're teaching her to resent and not trust you because every simple question is going to be a convoluted jigsaw mindgame.

Like really, if you're going to teach someone in that manner it's literally better for you to not even be there because they'd still be forced to learn on their own but without the added stress of knowing their father is going to make everything 10x more annoying than it needs to be.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a parent, but other than the absolutely obnoxious tone of this thread, I don't see an issue with what he did... Teaching things yourself is a good tool to have.

I'm not sure how long they've gone without eating or how hungry she was, but now eating for 6 hours is hardly starving.
Yeah I'm Fucking glad you're not a parent.

Ok my children are a little younger (4 and 2) and if they're hungry they get desperate after 6 minutes. Even at 9, that's a period of time you don't do this for.

Utterly reprehensible parenting backed up only by idiots and non parents who have no idea what they are talking about.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
John Roderick? Like, "thanks to John Roderick of The Long Winters for the use of our theme song 'It's A Departure' off the album 'Putting The Days to Bed'" John Roderick?

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
of course it bullshits, kid would have thrown the can down and find something else to eat after max 15 mins. It just the self-congratulate, smugness, and masturbate tone of the Twitter thread rub people the wrong way. The guy sounds like an absolute tool, and he posts the retelling story to jack off to internet point, which mind you, how fuck in the head you have to be to be smug about not having a bonding moment with your kid, instead, berate them.

Fuck this guy.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a parent, but other than the absolutely obnoxious tone of this thread, I don't see an issue with what he did... Teaching things yourself is a good tool to have.

I'm not sure how long they've gone without eating or how hungry she was, but now eating for 6 hours is hardly starving.
THE FIRST WORDS OF THE FIRST TWEET AT THE BEGINNING OF THE OP BEGIN WITH "my daughter (9) was hungry" AND THEN SHE DIDN'T EAT FOR 6 HOURS

Are you being purposely obtuse? 🤔

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everything about this is bad, it's impressive. the tweets, the guy, the platform, his reasons for posting it; the takes, the thread, the actual parenting, canned food, baked beans, can openers; having children, the internet, other people. all just awful.

the daughter is the only person on earth who gets out of this with any shred of dignity.

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
Lol I check back in on this story and now people have uncovered all this awful shit he's tweeted in the past. What a garbage person. I see in his Twitter bio he does a podcast with Ken Jennings from Jeopardy. Wonder if people will get get on Ken's ass about this guy.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Who uses a can opener that punctures? Is this a different type or just people who dont know how to use a can opener?
600-491232-butterfly-opener.jpg

This kind! My favourite kind! I used to use the puncture to open sweetened condensed milk cans to pour.

My parents taught me how to use it as a kid in 40 seconds by showing and then I imitated. Because of the way my parents taught by example and me learning through observation, I am pretty mechnically-minded (even as a GIRL gasp!) and am the more handy person in my marriage. My siblings on the other hand are a bit less mechanically-oriented, but they still make do as required.

This dude is just a self-fellating doofus at best and seems to have zero awareness about the learning needs of his daughter. If she is not a "naturally mechanically-minded intuitive" then teach her with methods she can best learn from! Maybe he himself is a few turns short of an intuitive opener.

Different Types of Can Openers and the Correct Way to Use Them

A kitchen must-have, a can opener is used specifically to cut into packaged tin cans. Acquaint yourself with the varieties available in the market.
I wanted to share this link because I think can openers are pretty neat!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018

Not surprised honestly. There have been threads about parents using physical punishment and people have defended it. Even worse is when you have decades of studies and data showing how that and what this guy is doing to his daughter is bad, yet you'll still have people go "I know what's best for my kids".

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Not surprised honestly. There have been threads about parents using physical punishment and people have defended it. Even worse is when you have decades of studies and data showing how that and what this guy is doing to his daughter is bad, yet you'll still have people go "I know what's best for my kids".
Yeah I've found that parenting techniques is more of a sensitive subject than religion or politics!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep and the cycle continues

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

There's really not much difference between the "I'm forcing you to figure out things" and the "pull yourself from your bootstraps" mentalities. The condescending assumption of intellectual lazyness on the part of anyone that's in a less advantageous position from you; the notion that everyone can pull themselves up to your position with just a bit of work and ingenuity. In short, the belief that everything you have, you obtained solely through your own virtue, and so should others. All of this to convert any way of actually helping others, from a moral obligation, to something harmful you should avoid doing for their own good.

There's also, of course, the more direct, obvious similarity of trying to teach others valuable life lessons while they're fucking starving.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like barely anyone in this thread is actually calling it child abuse.

But also, sending a kid to bed without dinner is fucked up. That's a horrible way to punish a kid, and a great way to give them food issues.
That is textbook abuse and nowadays, punishment by withdrawal of food would be classed by any social services teams as abusive Parenting.

Saying "it happened to me and I'm fine" is not a defence.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The storytelling and circumstances around it is absolutely asinine, but there's nothing wrong with having your kid discover how to learn a skill without guidance.

Jul 5, 2019
Other people, complete plebeian sheep: This is bad.
Me, a genius, who thinks purposefully withholding food from my hungry daughter for six hours is okay: This is good, actually. I am very smart.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There's really not much difference between the "I'm forcing you to figure out things" and the "pull yourself from your bootstraps" mentalities. The condescending assumption of intellectual lazyness on the part of anyone that's in a less advantageous position from you; the notion that everyone can pull themselves up to your position with just a bit of work and ingenuity. In short, the belief that everything you have, you obtained solely through your own virtue, and so should others. All of this to convert any way of actually helping others, from a moral obligation, to something harmful you should avoid doing for their own good.

There's also, of course, the more direct, obvious similarity of trying to teach others valuable life lessons while they're fucking starving.
Yep it's proven people operate differently when hungry like judges give worse sentences before lunch than after lunch for example, and it's tires the trope about "hard work" when reality is people success is based on people they know, being put in the right situations and having a ton of opportunities to not only succeed but fail without detriment. And spot on about help I STRUGGLE with asking for help at times because some in society makes it seem like it's a bad thing, you could be spending hours upon hours on shit that someone who has experienced x y z could resolve and teach you in that moment and save time.