• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Eh... that's kinda cringe, but to say he's a terrible parent for THAT ONE STORY is a fucking huge stretch...

but then you see his other tweets, and you can definitely say he's a piece of shit towards other people... doesn't mean he will treat his child badly (he will definitely teach her bad stuff in term of ideology though, and i hope she won't get taken in all that shit)

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Excusing Racism; Prior Bans for Inappropriate Commentary
Oh so we're at the point where old tweets get dredged up huh

Where's my bingo card

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yeah read up on this, what a complete douche. his poor hungry daughter having to deal with this idiot smfh

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

JbCt6Oh.gif

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I could literally cry right now. I genuinely didn't think anyone on Era would be against this, and I'm so, so happy so many of you get why this fucking sucks.

My dad was like this. Yes, so cool, so engaged. Except he only cared about shit like this. He didn't have the slightest interest in anything my brother and I cared about. He wasn't curious about who we were, just who he wanted us to be. Anything that was outside those parameters was irrelevant to him. When he died a couple of years ago, I was shocked by how I felt. He was objectively a good parent - provided for us, taught us - but when he died, the only thing I felt was relief. Pretty fucked up, right? Especially because I would sometimes forget he was dead, and every time I remembered, it was like a weight was lifted. I'm sure part of this dynamic was due to an issue with me and my personality, I'm not trying to blame him, his intentions were nothing but good, but this was my experience. It's been over two years, and I still haven't felt anything but relief.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine outing yourself as a massive asshole to all of twitter by embellishing a, probably, fifteen minute interaction with your daughter.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
This guy might as well be writing to penthouse about his masturbatory sessions.
True or fake, asshole either way.
Also, he keeps referring to himself as an "apocalypse dad". Is that the straight white male STEM-absolutist disaster-larper version of wine mom?
ALSO (because this dude has layers), imagine being a fan of The Road and writing like...that.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Probably bs story but honestly underneath all of the needless pretension it's not like it's some sort of unbelievable, mystical tome of fantasy. It's a dragged out story of a kid wanting food and her parent starving them to finish a puzzle under the disguise of teaching her how to use a fucking can opener. I don't know what's so unbelievable here lol. Biggest takeaways are:

If he does this over a can opener just imagine how he is with other and likely more important things.

Even if it is BS what kinda weirdo even thinks to make a story out of it expecting to make themselves look awesome? Lmao.

And "it's just a prank bro you fell for it" is a lame take I'm seeing on here too.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
So I've listened to quite a few podcasts that John Roderick hosts and at first I thought this story was 100 percent satire. Reading his responses though, I've changed my mind.

I think this is a real story he took and exaggerated greatly for comedic effect. Problem is, when people started challenging him on it, he started getting defensive because despite the jokey over the top language he really did do this. So instead of being able to laugh it off or just say "lol it's a joke!" Hes put himself in a position where he feels he has to defend his dumb story.

He just keeps digging a hole lol. He should have just taught his daughter how to use a can opener instead of being a weirdo.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Whether it's true or not doesn't matter when I've seen parents like this (though less extreme) and people defending it. One way to ruin your child's future education is to make sure to teach them not to ask for help for fear of looking "stupid".

And it's already been said, but this sort of guy (whether dad, brother, classmate, or colleague) is the kind that deters girls and women from STEM fields.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Cute story. Overreaction from Twitter not exactly surprising. Folks presumably without kids being like YOU MADE HER CRY. Kids cry when they can't put a whole roll of toilet paper in the toilet. They cry because they can't put ketchup on cereal. Kids cry because they can't open a can of beans lol.

6 hours without eating, in other words, the time between lunch and dinner lol.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While this most likely did not happen as described, if we take it at face value, he prevented his 9 year old daughter from eating for longer than 6 hours. Assuming they had breakfast at 6 am (considering he said they do 6 hours between meals), they were probably done eating by 7am (if not sooner).

That means she didn't eat for about 11 hours.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cute story. Overreaction from Twitter not exactly surprising. Folks presumably without kids being like YOU MADE HER CRY. Kids cry when they can't put a whole roll of toilet paper in the toilet. They cry because they can't put ketchup on cereal. Kids cry because they can't open a can of beans lol.

Yeah, it's not about what he did, but how he talked about what he did and what that makes him a good dad. It's one thing to be like "If you can open this can before dinner, it's all yours!" It's another to turn opening a can into some weird kind of power trip where you teach your kid a lesson about how pathetic they are, then blast it onto the internet like you're some kinda parenting genius.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
Definately a prententious douche but calling it child abuse for withholding beans for 6 hours is pretty lol worthy. None of you got sent to your room without dinner before when you fucked up?

Seems like barely anyone in this thread is actually calling it child abuse.

But also, sending a kid to bed without dinner is fucked up. That's a horrible way to punish a kid, and a great way to give them food issues.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member

There truly is a defense force for everything. Man you are a POS. just like him.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
this is what people were upset about? this is not a big deal and she is 9 so like what 5th or 6th grade? she could google it.

Oct 25, 2017

6 hours between when a 9 year old states they are hungry and when you feed them is quite different than 6 hours between two meals.

Milennial parents are going to be worse than boomers aren't they

Bean Dad is 100% Gen X. It's on brand for a Gen X'er to stand around and do fuck all to help someone and then write a long story praising themselves for it.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
he literally could have just showed her and she would have gained all the same knowledge in about 30 seconds.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

kids also cry when their parents are intentionally cruel towards them which seems more relevant to this thread than not being able to put ketchup on cereal

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thirty and I had a rough time using a can opener the other night when I accidentally bought a can of soup without a pull tab.

Oct 12, 2020
For the sake of argument let's say, he isn't an asshole and he and his daughter were really just having fun about the whole situation.
This is doesn't changed the fact, that he wrote the story in a way, that people come to concultion, that he torment his daughter. If you tell the story, you need to make sure, that people understand you in the right way. You can't just say: "Twitter get me wrong".

Mar 10, 2018
I honestly don't see anything wrong with the story. It's not like his daughter was fucking dying from starvation. I found it heartwarming.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Of course this guy sucks and complains about not being able to use slurs.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

What was described in the Twitter thread was bad parenting. The kind that leads to kids having issues learning and eating disorders. Like, the best read you can have is he made it up, but considering people are defending it, it wasn't that great of a story to share.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no... He's the main singer of the band for the McElroy Brothers' opening song for MBMBaM.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Some MBMBAM fans want his song to be pulled from the show. There's a thread with screen caps of him saying some "the n-word is just a word" (except he didn't censor himself) intellectual genius stuff 6 years ago. I hope he's not that person anymore but given the bean dad thing, looks like he's still a "reason and LOGIC" guy.