• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most mind-blowing run of the 5th gen from these two for you personally?

• Rare

Votes: 496 36.4%
  • Square

Votes: 868 63.6%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
How amazing was it that we got two of the greatest runs by any company in a single generation in the same gotdamn generation? It was even more amazing that it happened again in 6th gen with Sega and Capcom but I don't think it's happened since, unfortunately but I'm all for listening to any picks you guys might have for great single generation runs.

Both companies were prolific af especially when you consider that it wasn't the longest generation of gaming, 1996-2000ish. Square made considerably more games but there's no denying the quality of Rares output and how content-packed their games were. And both companies have games that are still heralded as being among the best of all time. It's hard not to paint Square as being all about the JRPG's because the vast majority of their output was exactly that but they still provided a few killer games from different genres. And Rare were really making some diverse ass motherf---- games and almost always knocking it out of the park; kart racing, FPS, platformers and even whatever the hell genre Blast Corps falls under.

Rare:
Killer Instinct Gold
Blast Corps
Goldeneye 007
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Kazooie
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Banjo Tooie
Conkers Bad Fur Day

Square (best games listed only to keep the numbers as even as possible lol):
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 2 and 3
Einhander
Xenogears
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
IS: Internal Section
Threads of Fate
Legend of Mana
Brave Fencer Musashi
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Square made some of my favourite games ever on PS1 but, I think for variety alone, Rare's N64 run has to take this.

Look at that list... arguably the best shooter, the best platformer, the best kart racer and the best fighting game on the platform. And then crazy games like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.

Rare were on fire for the period. The N64 would've been dead without their games.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't play one game from that "Rare" ist apart from Golden Eye i think.

So yeah it's definately Square. I would argue PSX Square won't get beaten by anyone bar PS2 Rockstar.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The only N64 Rare game I actually liked was Perfect Dark, so while I don't think that was Square's best era, I'll still give it to them.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the N64's dependence on Rare games was very rough on me as a Nintendo Kid Who Loved RPGs

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Rare for sure back in the day. I was a kid who loved character platformers and was bored to death with JRPGs. As I've grown, not much has changed.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Square, but looking at those lists, both had really influential games. 007 was important for MP FPS and FF7 for console RPGs. But as a JRPG fan, Square will always trump everything during that period.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Square, and I'm not even a massive RPG fan. I will say that as a child flicking through magazines, I used to dream of playing and owning games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Apples and oranges really though with Square being Japanese and Rare being a UK powerhouse

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Rare for me, they made a much more diverse range of games in different genres.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Rare cause I didn't have a PS1 growing up (and got an N64 really late).

Also EU lol. We got maybe 5 or 6 of those games listed?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Never played any of the Square games. I started FFVII but couldn't get into it.
So Rare it is. Played plenty of their games on N64 and really enjoyed them.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare as one single studio, with their variety of genre and the fact that many of their games looked better than Nintendos own on a hard to develop N64 is just amazing.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Squaresoft's record on PSX was absolutely incredible and still making ripples today.

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Squaresoft was better and more influential on the SNES than PSX.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Squaresoft in the mid to late 90's and early 00's feels like it were one of the most legendary eras of gaming.

Final Fantasy VII is an undisputed classic, that followed up a classic before it. VIII and IX are both fantastic games in their own right. Xenogears is a cult classic. Chrono Cross followed up yet another classic.

I haven't played Tactics or Vagrant Story myself, but from what I've heard, they're amazing games as well.

And personally, I hold Parasite Eve as one of my favorite video games of all time. It's just impeccable in it's execution, it's audiovisual framing and unique setting.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's Square

Rare were amazing, but we tend to remember Rare more as Rare and Nintendo basically held the N64 up by themselves

Square were amazing but were also competing with every other amazing developer making games for PS1

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
The only Rare game from that list I played was Jet Force Gemini. And while that game is AMAZING and one of my favs (particularly the music!), I'll go with Square because that has Brave Fencer Musashi (and also Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy IX).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Square by a fucking mile.

There is a totally different volume to the games that Square put out compared to Rares games

The fact that Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 all came out between 1997 and 2000, is bonkers, then throw the rest of the games they made in there too and it's just absolute insanity.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I voted Rare but looking at the Square games I'm having second thoughts lol. Nah, DK64 wins on how underrated it is.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Square just safely continued on from the same games they made on SNES. In terms of mindblowing run, Rare fits the bill much better, because they owned like six different genres, creating some of the best games for each of them.

(NB this is not about which games I like more, in which case they're more evenly matched)

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Square made some of my favourite games ever on PS1 but, I think for variety alone, Rare's N64 run has to take this.

Look at that list... arguably the best shooter, the best platformer, the best kart racer and the best fighting game on the platform. And then crazy games like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.

Rare were on fire for the period. The N64 would've been dead without their games.

Yes the variety and them not making a single game below 8/10 gives Rare my vote.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Square and its not even close. A lot of great games are not even listed in the OP such as SaGa Frontier and Bushido Blade.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Square by absolutely loads, which is crazy because Rare trumps them on variety. But you've got several of the all time greatest games, all better than Rare's best on N64 (Banjo).

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't have much of an attachment to Rare games on the 64 beyond Banjo Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing.

Square though? Final Fantasy VIII blew my mind. Then there was VII, IX and Vagrant Story. Amazing games.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
To me the best game of that N64/PSX Generation is Chrono Cross by miles. Aside from that I also really liked Xenogears and FFIX.

It's overall pretty equal in my book, I think Square had higher heights, but Rare was more consistent. Gonna say Rare for that reason.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
It's Square. Rare had a very good run, but the further you get into the list the more the quality starts to slip. Square never really let up on the PS1.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Pure Quantity of quality titles : Square. They released so many games that generation and so many classics, it's unreal.
BUT without Rare, the N64 would have been a terrible console with only half a dozen decent non-Rare Nintendo titles and for that reason, I have to give it to Rare.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
square.

Man, they were cranking out hits back then.

Rare had an incredible run too, they made the N64, nintendo not buying them was a huge mistake. I mean that out put for a single studio was nuts.

Nov 4, 2017
My two favourite publishers on their respective platforms... But Square wins it out for me. FF7 and 9 hold too strong a place in my heart.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Their outputs are so wildly different that it really depends whether you love RPGs or not. If you do, it's Square. If not, it's Rare.

I don't care for RPGs, so it's easily Rare for me.