• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What type of teaching did you get?

• Basic Admission

Votes: 177 22.0%
  • The FairyTale

Votes: 62 7.7%
  • Scorn / Judgement

Votes: 120 14.9%
  • Nothing

Votes: 447 55.5%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Raise your hand if you're nonblack and your parents taught you that the meritocracy is bullshit

Hmmm, not really? They just never really talked about this sort of thing with me as a kid. They rarely discussed serious political issues. It was more "did you do your homework, are you making friends, you're smart and you can do anything you want," not really like, big concept stuff. They DID raise me to be aware of my general privilege being upper middle class and to basically never discuss money with others. (Sure would be nice if I was individually upper middle class...lol.)

Like I said up thread, these big topics were just never really discussed until my 20s and I was usually the instigator. I had to learn most of this shit on my own.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
My childhood experience to now is so weird. I come from a very small area, there might have been 15 total black people in my school system. I was friends with everyone of them, and 2-3 of them spent the night on weekends basically every week. My parents never had a problem with it, but my grandma actually told one of them once that they didn't need to come back when she took him home, lol.

I had a cousin I hung out with, and anytime I'd try to get one of my black friends up his house, his parents always had an excuse as to why they couldn't swim with us or whatever we were doing that day. Eventually me and him drifted apart in HS because it became clear they were just racists. But again, my parents were always cool with whoever I wanted over. Always fed them, gave them the best experience possible.

But now, they're full blown Trump supporters and say shit constantly that I have to side eye or straight up call them out on. I don't understand it, because they were never like this until now. If you truly had a problem with other races, why did they allow me to do that growing up? My mom raised me to treat everyone equally, we went to church every Sunday, and as we've gotten older I've seen her morph into someone I don't even recognize. It really bothers me, because I am the open minded person I am because of how she raised me, but she isn't anymore, or never was? It's an awful feeling. I'm very much alone in my family when it comes to love and acceptance of all people, it sucks.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I mean you see this in action form UK users here all the time.
Yup. And a lot of stuff is written off as 'harmless' racism. I remember once I was at my grandparent's for Christmas and we were watching a stand up variety show and there was a black comedian on and my grandma suddenly pipes up with 'Oh they can be funny!' and I was thinking 'what the fuck', only for it to be laughed about later, like 'silly old racist granny'.

I think it's why there's this pervasive knee-jerk reaction of 'political correctness' that really takes root in the UK media space with arseholes like Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson, where they see their prejudice as 'harmless' and therefore not something to make a fuss over.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I don't recall anything, because I've been the one teaching my parents since I was a young teen. They don't say overtly hateful things, but sometimes they make ignorant remarks that I call them out on.
A. My parents were 60s progressives so they were pretty passionate about these issues

however that was 30+ years ago and things like implicit bias and media analysis weren't as understood as they are now. So my education had a lot of gaps despite their good intentions
Similar situation. They were progressive. They didn't continue to stay as educated on issues as they could've.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
My antiracist education was listening to the horrifying shit my dad (who was a cop lol) would say and then believing the opposite.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
My parents were former hippies so my sister and I were subject to extreme radical leftist ideals like basic human empathy.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Nothing beyond the golden rule, treat others they way you would want to be treated... which is such an old lesson it's hard to remember if I got it from parents, school, or media... I think parents though.

From a very white Canadian suburb, divorced family that didn't really have any talks.

think hes saying sitting down teaching you stuff sounds very leave it to beaver
I mean their only other update was that racism talks ignore classism, and then he bailed out of the thread saying he he doesn't wanna expand further.

He revealed as much as he could without getting banned.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
For statistical purposes, I'm white, my parents are both white, cishet people of a generally left-leaning/Democrat bent, but are Boomers with some clearly unaddressed unconscious racist ideas.

They raised us with the express idea that racism was bad, but not much discussion of it beyond that. The first time I remember it coming up was when we drove through a nearby town and some dude was wearing full KKK gear in broad daylight and my father remarked on the awful nature of that and explained their racist ideals.

As an adult, I watch them not "get" BLM, and "worry" about me and my siblings anytime we've moved and potentially looked in "lower income" areas. But they hate Trump and will never vote Republican, so it's something I guess.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
We never talked about it from a "life lesson" standpoint.

When we did discuss it, it was typically me debating their ideology as an adult. But as immigrants, my parents typically play the "well we had it rough too, fleeing communism with one suitcase for our family's belongings!" card. It's honestly tough to argue against since they don't ever agree with how I point out that we're still "white" (even if it's not the right kind of "white", we're by no stretch POCs). You know, typical boomer shit.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. And a lot of stuff is written off as 'harmless' racism. I remember once I was at my grandparent's for Christmas and we were watching a stand up variety show and there was a black comedian on and my grandma suddenly pipes up with 'Oh they can be funny!' and I was thinking 'what the fuck', only for it to be laughed about later, like 'silly old racist granny'.

I think it's why there's this pervasive knee-jerk reaction of 'political correctness' that really takes root in the UK media space with arseholes like Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson, where they see their prejudice as 'harmless' and therefore not something to make a fuss over.
There just aren't that many prominent poc voices who are given the platform to speak in the UK, I think that's a big part of it especially in the media. No one is allowed to challenge those views.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly nothing, in regards to black people. I grew up in rural Iowa, so very few black people around. My dad grew up in Nebraska City, which has John Browns cave(part of the underground railroad), so there might be something to that.

With regards to native people my dad was very sympathetic towards that issue. That had a big influence on me.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny story(not really) is being raised a Republican the mentality of
"they are sneaking in here, taking jobs, sending "our" money to Mexico", etc" was around

But a certain fairly member worked management in the restaurant industry for years and had loads of interaction with both legal and illegal immigrants.
They threw a fit when new rules started getting more thorough and got imployees in trouble for fake paperback and such.
Anytime people in the family talked bad about illegal immigrants and such they would tell them off and talk about how the majority of them are here desperately trying to make a better life for themselves and family.....

Trump became the Republican nominee....
"they broke the law to get here. They should have come legally. We can't just let anyone and everyone across the boarder."

There was a huge fight in my family over racism and I wasn't even allowed to visit my great grandma from about 3-13 years old because of her saying racist stuff multiple times(N word included)
and now the anti-racist portion of the family is pretty devout Trumpers.
shits crazy.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My father was in law enforcement, and was a physically abusive, racist asshole. Strange coincidence, I know.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I grew up in the 80s and 90s in rural Indiana. When I graduated high school, my class had fewer than 100 students and the school system was ~1,400 kids K-12. The whole time I went there, I was aware of two students of color. One was a black guy who was a couple years ahead of me; the other was an adopted Korean girl who was a couple years behind me. I got basically zero exposure to non-white people until I turned 16 and got jobs in cities that had POC in them.

I honestly don't remember my parents ever saying anything one way or the other about POC, but I heard plenty of racist jokes at school and in the community.

Oct 30, 2017
white british here, somewhere between A and B. my parents never exactly brought up colonialism or more recent issues when i was a kid because frankly i doubt they knew much of anything at the time themselves. but they are generally left-wing and did make a point of teaching the virtues of multiculturalism and the wrongs of racism from a very young age, and i'm grateful for that at least. UK demographics being what they are, you're dodging countless bullets if you have white non-tory parents who were born in the 50s.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Mine would have been A for the time, but what A even meant at the time was very different from now. Late 80s/early 90s for me and most of my friends was probably like, people that say the N-word are bad and everyone should watch Roots at least once. I never even heard the term antiracist until a couple years ago when I came across the Angela Davis quote for the first time.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see an option for complaining about Mexican immigrants, I'll just count that as C. My dad was huge on the golden rule though, and the concept really stuck with me luckily, so that kinda counteracted some of the other bullshit they said.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
That's actually an interesting question. The huge amount of nothing votes kinda tell you why shit is so messed up. Lots of white people that think this is none of their business.

It's also really weird because as PoC you don't think about it much either in that sense. You live it every day, the fact that you are seen as different shapes every interaction you have. The privilege to just ignore it is not an option in the first place.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That's actually an interesting question. The huge amount of nothing votes kinda tell you why shit is so messed up. Lots of white people that think this is none of their business.

I think some of it is parents (wrongly) think this sort of thing isn't "appropriate" to talk about with kids. Like my grandfather was a poor German Jew growing up in the south, heard about what the Nazis were doing, went to war, etc. yet that stuff was just never really talked about in my household at all. Like at no point did my parents sit down and say "Mekanos, do you know what the Holocaust was?" I think they saw it as school's responsibility to teach me that stuff (which did a decent, if not great job overall).

My grandfather had his own fair share of racism growing up from what I understand but generally "fair" for the era and place he was in; internalized certain prejudices and said some things but wasn't actively, aggressively racist (Jewish people in the south were still not treated super great), and my dad admits he has had to unlearn some of that from him and generally does very well for a 63 year old white man that grew up in the south. My grandpa knows better now and will once in a while make an unseemly comment or joke but the rest of the family will dunk on him for it. He made a few terrorist jokes when my brother dated an Iranian girl around 15 years ago... not his best moment (not just racist, but the wrong kind of racist!).

Last edited:

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Closer to A from my parents and I grew up in a very liberal town with a bunch of Professor's kids. It was an incredibly white place however and some of my schooling perceived me towards B in my pre-teen years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely nothing anti-racist. I was brought up to read a lot, exposed to a lot of good history, good books, good authorship.

My dad was a history buff, still is, and so we watched Ken Burns' The Civil War together when it was on PBS, and I was exposed to pretty solid mainstream American history growing up. We lived in Massachusetts and we weren't exposed to Southern revisionism about the Civil War, it was always a war about slavery for us. My dad was always a good influence when it came to history for just about all of my adolescent and part of my adult life, but it's the history he's comfortable with -- David McCollough, James McPhereson, Robert Caro. Something that stands out to me, though, is that my dad had books in his bookshelf by authors that he would not associate with today... I only remember Gore Vidal being in the bookshelf because when I was ... 10 or 11 I used to create characters in videogames and I could never come up with names, so I'd give them names of authors in my dad's bookshelf because they were right behind where the TV was, and I remember naming one of my players in like NBA Live 97 "Gore Vidal," and my dad was watching me play one day and he was like "...... They have Gore Vidal in an NBA game.....?" As an adult it's just so laughably hilarious to think about that now.

My parents were both mainstream center North East (e.g., center-left nationally, but center or center-right regionally) when it came to issues of race, agreeing with mainstream issues around civil rights, but they weren't progressive on those issues, and key culture war talking points in the 80s and 90s like "Welfare queens" was something they were open to... but ... wouldn't have actively taught that to us growing up.

My mother was more nativist than my father, for sure. She's the type of Irish catholic who grew up in the city, moved to the suburbs in post-war 50s, and then lamented how the old neighborhoods were burned out, drugged up, crime, by the 70s and 80s, and while she never said it explicitly to us there was an undercurrent that the people who lived there -- Puerto Ricans largely -- were the cause of that. Like, "they don't care about the neighborhood, there's no fathers in the picture" racism. But this didn't come out from them until we were adults. If there were examples of racism that I would bring up, my mother would have been quick to make an equivalence to like, the struggle of Irish immigrants or Polish immigrants, or something.

I bring up the Gore VIdal point because my parents were far more exposed to a variety of opinion and perspective when I was growing up than they are now. Now, they're Fox News cultists. I still buy my dad books for his birthday and CHristmas and I think he reads them, but selectively. I bought him Jill Lepore's new history of America, These Truths, and he had heard of it probably from the NYT Book Review, and I'd assume he skipped over it ... He'd think of it more as an ideological argument against American exceptionalism, than a perspective that you have to wrestle with in order to understand American exceptionalism as a sociological phenomenon. Now both of my parents are racist. I think there was always an undercurrent of nascent racism to both of them, more so my mother than my father she had always been more nativist (which is frustrating because she's more religious than my father ... but that's another topic altogether, at least in how I perceive religion should inform her versus how it does), but that the last ~10 years of Fox and Republicanism and Conservatism has made that something that ... like ... they're supposed to be proud of, instead of something that they're supposed to be ashamed of. Case in point, 2018, we had a city council election in our city and my mother flippantly exclaimed at Thanksgiving, "Well... I only voted for white candidates," and the reaction around the table from my siblings and my aunt was like "mom, what the fuck is wrong with you," and she just said "Well I'm just saying I did, I didn't do it on purpose but that's just how I voted..." sort of defense. But, like, 10 or 20 years ago, that would have been abhorrent to say around our dinner table, like something you should be deeply ashamed of saying, and today, at age 70 with the Fox News Hate and White supremacist president on TV every time, it's like ... a sort of flippant pride for her to say that, and then she backs off coy like "it's just how it is."

So, anyway, this is a really long way of saying no, we were never exposed to anti-racist history or narrative growing up in the house. I would have been exposed to mainstream anti-racist history in school and encouraged to explore it was an adolescent at home, but the sort of anti-racism of Frederick Douglass, or the success stories of Arthur Ashe or the sort of white-washed interpretations of Mohammed Ali ("He stood up for what he believed in"; without actually going into detail) or Bill Russell ("Him and Bob Cousy were great teammates,"). THe closest thing to anti-racism for me would have been Roots or Uncle Tom's Cabin. I remember when the book about Malcom X came out in the early 90s, and my mother was sort of suspicious of it... A family friend had it at their house, and my mom thought it was like, a little too grown up for me, so she nudged me away from it as I was drawn into the cover. My parents were more intellectual then. We always had mainstream liberal taste-maker publications in our home, the New Yorker, the NYT, Boston Globe, Wall Street Journal, occasional issues of the Atlantic or the Nation, but also conservative publications like the National Review in our house... at least since I was a teenager. But now, my parents are anti-intellectuals, populists. It's a cult. They fell hook line and sinker for "the migrant invasion" narrative before 2018 election, they're very open to the idea that, like, black and brown people actually have an advantage over white people because, "my kids wouldn't have gotten into harvard, and if you're black you're getting a full boat," or something. No, ma, I didn't get into Harvard because I never once did my homework in high school and never studied for tests, and if I was a black kid I would have been kicked out of our school instead of having a guidance counselor take me under his wing and do his damnedest to get me into college. THat's privilege that I still got into college and I'm in the position I'm in today.

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Basic admisión.

My dad is a migrant and my mom is mulata. The both have stories about xenophobia and racism. My dad is white, so people start making xenophobic jokes thinking he is costarican, and he says he just felt like going alone with it instead if fighting it.
My mom says racism for her is mostly weird looks, people avoiding her, but she hasn't felt directly discriminated against.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I grew up in a rural area in Canada full of white people. For my parents, it was mostly D but I'd occasionally get a bit of C projected towards me (I voted C).

Last edited:

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. I grew up in a small Texas town through the 80s-90s and it wasn't until I moved away for college that I started to learn that a lot of the things I heard, and some of which I said not knowing better, were racist.

My family has come a long way, but they still say things that I feel the need to call them out.

Oct 25, 2017
"Don't be an asshole to people because they're different from you. No one is better than anyone else because of how or where they're born" was basically it.

Oct 28, 2017
White guy from the suburbs for context.

Grew up in an all white neighborhood and despite having some black/hispanic friends at school I never really hung out with anyone outside of my neighborhood because I didn't really have a need to. When I was 10 a black family moved in a couple of houses down and my parents had the talk with my brother and I, he was 12. They told us that if we ever saw anyone pick on or hit our neighbors (Jake and Emily) because of the color of their skin or if other kids were mistreating them that we were to come and tell them right away. I distinctly remember asking my mom why anyone would pick on them because of the color of their skin, and her words will always stick with me, "because life isn't always fair and people do bad things to each other."

Fortunately nothing like that every happened and Jake (and Emily to a lesser extent) joined the neighborhood crew.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Nothing mostly, except for one incident where my father drunkenly told me I couldn't date Black people. I was completely surprised and asked why, he dodged the question. Ass.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I quoting directly here from my mother's ex-boyfriend:

"There are only 3 good races, British, American and (a word for Chinese people I'm not repeating)."

So that's what I got at home. There's other stuff people have said (including my real dad) but that particular nugget was the one that really stuck with me cus of how insane it was.

I never listened to any of them though. They were all idiots.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing at all. My family as far back as I know them (like my great grandpa IE: 1900s level) were the kind of people that didn't really care about skin color, though you can definitely see the relics of their ages, like my Grandpa telling me they would play football with the negro boys because they didn't care as long as they could play football (which, obviously, is still racist, but diet racism of the era rather than KKK racist). I think my parents probably just grew up with the privilege of assuming racism was over after the civil rights movement, which knowing my parents seems pretty on-brand in terms of optimistic naivety.

We learned about it plenty in school (california) but also those were that same sort of perspective - "America has a checkered past but it's all over now yay."

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I am very grateful to them for. From the earliest age I was taught about slavery, the civil war, Civil Rights movement, and the ongoing struggle that POC face. It was never framed as a past issue. I was taught that the confederate flag was as ugly as the swastika.

My first exposure to racial stereotyping in media was my dad getting very upset when a movie we were watching featured a Latino man as a murderer. I was maybe 8. He and mom told me that it was wrong and explained that it was harmful to a group that was unjustly feared and hated already.

They taught me that the words we use matter, the stories we tell ourselves matter. Symbols are powerful and we must be careful about who our heroes are.

They taught me similar lessons about other minority groups. My dad's best man at their wedding in the '70s was gay. My folks had their faults, but I'm proud and grateful to say that bigotry wasn't among them.

edit: I voted "basic admission" but I feel I got more than that

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My grandparents used the n word a few times when I was younger, but really, I don't think racism was ever actually brought up at school or home outside of MLK Jr. Then again, I grew up in the midwest and the only interaction I had with minorities was the year I went to an inner city school when I was in 1st grade. Like I can look at my class photos and count on one hand how many black people I went to school with between the 2nd grade through to high school graduation.

We were also force fed the idea that the Civil War was a State's Rights issue and not a slavery one.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Learned at a young age (9 yes). My step dad is black, so I quickly got exposed to all the horrors this country has to offer.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Ehh, as a Jewish Latino kid, my racism education at home was really disjointed and contradictory. My parents both told me that I'd likely face discrimination for being what when I stepped out of the bubble we were in (Miami), which was true. When I lived in Tallahassee for a couple years, hearing shit about my last name or Jewish background was fairly common - it was the first time I was called a spic, for example.

But my father, especially, was very racist when it came to Arab and Black people. Not violent, but he had absolutely no problem saying the N-word or looking down on folks with darker skin. Which is crazy, because his skin is much darker than mine, for example, and he's been confused for an Arab person more times than I can count. This is a big problem in the Hispanic/Latin community, especially within the Cuban subgroup (which I belong to). It's a little different than vanilla anglo racism, but in some ways, it's more brazen and shameless.

As far as my mom, it was less so - she wouldn't say anything overt, but you'd get dogwhistles here and there. "Don't drive through that neighborhood - it's dangerous" or "I've heard that high school has a lot of problems - you should apply to this magnet school instead so you'll be around better people" - stuff like that.

As a result, while always being cognizant of racism as a real thing to be fought against, I grew up with a ton of blind spots. I still have a lot of anti-black programming that rears its head from time to time and I have to consciously point it out to myself when it happens so that I can break the habit. It's a really embarrassing personal shortcoming, especially when it doesn't register until much later and I realize that I was a total asshole. Ugh.

Thankfully, my parents have improved dramatically. My dad left the Republican party in 2012 and has slowly dropped all of his conservative bullshit, which has been super gratifying to see. He's a much more tolerant guy now and it means a lot to me that he's put in the work. And my mom, after a few shitty conversations, got the point and she keeps her comments to herself, which is its own kind of growth, I suppose.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
C. My dad's rhetoric increased as he got older. In the privacy of his own home he felt like a king who could make vile statements about others to satiate his own ego. He is a victim of the Fox News cycle and I hate it. This dude is a working class half Irish half native dude who is doing the rich white racist's job for them. Blows my fuckin mind.

Luckily I was exposed to diverse opportunities with schooling and friendships that showed me the reality of things, along with being big enough to fight back and put him in his place. I will be including diversity and sensitivity training into my parenting if I ever become a father.

What got him to slow down and check himself was that I told him he would have no inclusion in my life moving forward if he was going to continue (no contact with my partner or potential grandchildren.)

Oct 30, 2017
No actual talking about race in my house, though black culture was generally frowned on.
Many of the destructive values I was taught came in the form of implication.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Voted "nothing." I was born in England and moved to the US when I was 5. My parents never taught me about race or religion and when I did learn about both my parent's were, surprisingly, excellent on both subjects IMO. One was a series of lies perpetuated by faith and one was a series of lies perpetuated by hate. As someone 30+ I know they're the same but as a 5th grader it was eye opening to learn that the world is run by bigotry in its various forms.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nothing, aside from a weird statement from my dad a few years ago, which was basically "I'm racist, I know that's bad, but I'm too old to change."

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For me none of the poll options truly fit.

I grew up in a very "multicultural" family, German, Spanish, US American and Japanese are part of my close family, so at home it never mattered.

My first memory about something like a "talk" would be when we went to visit my grandparents and extended family in Spain and neither my grandparents nor my cousins wanted to spend any time or play with me, something hard to understand for a child in kindergarten. On our way home my parents explained to me that they didn't want to spend time with me because I am only half-spanish.

This continued all the way through elementary school as my Dad wanted to keep a good relationship with his family, but every single time we went there it became more obvious that I would never be accepted, other children at the beach ignored me, my grandparents would only talk about their other grandchildren and sometimes even acted as though they don't understand me.

My Dad finally told them to fuck off when I was about 12, I haven't had any contact with any part of his family since then, all we heard was that my grandpa passed away sometime last year, but we were not allowed to attend the funeral.

So much to "europe does not have racism".

At school we learned about it in 5th grade as part of an "anti-bullying week", my school was very diverse and my class was about 60-40 as ratio between "true Germans" and those with some kind of foreign background and we generally mixed very well.

One day I will have to give this talk to my kids as, funnily enough, they will grow up in Germany and yet the actual "German Blood" will be the least of their racial background.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, not really? They just never really talked about this sort of thing with me as a kid. They rarely discussed serious political issues. It was more "did you do your homework, are you making friends, you're smart and you can do anything you want," not really like, big concept stuff. They DID raise me to be aware of my general privilege being upper middle class and to basically never discuss money with others. (Sure would be nice if I was individually upper middle class...lol.)

Like I said up thread, these big topics were just never really discussed until my 20s and I was usually the instigator. I had to learn most of this shit on my own.
I feel you. For me since I'm black lol my family was super political since our existence is politicized. But they always told me how the American dream and meritocracy ain't shit and how you gotta work twice as hard for what white people get