• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 5, 2018
I'm curious if anyone's ever had this happen before, I've heard stories though thinking about it I don't know that i ever have, definitely been angry at a few though and probably quit them as a result.

TwistedN

Mar 23, 2018
This was a one time thing but I snapped my sister's ds lite in half because of mario 3.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. A lot more when I was younger.

I have oodles of patience in traffic... at the DMV... waiting in line for something... something going wrong with my car or an unexpected expense. I can deal with BS at work or being thrown under the bus or not getting recognition I deserve. I'm okay if someone forgets about something I care about.

But man, I really, really struggle when I "fail" in a game - especially a multiplayer title. When I'm getting stomped and I can't seem to overcome the challenge I know it really affects my self-esteem and I feel like a failure, and it's a downward spiral until I would yell out and possibly throw a controller or hit something. I would literally tie losing a 1:1 in some stupid FPS to a personal deficiency - that I'm stupid, incompetent, not worthy of anything, etc.

I've gotten much, MUCH, MUCH better as an adult. Haven't done it in years and years... but I still can FEEL it inside. I just have grown the maturity to step away and exit the area and catch my breath elsewhere. I also just don't have the time to "git gud" any more - I'm an adult with a job, wife, kid, and responsibilities. So going into a game knowing I'm gonna suck probably helps avoid a lot of that.

I'm sure there's some REALLY deep-rooted issues there, lol. But I'm proud of my growth and I'm not embarrassed to share I'm way, way better at controlling my emotions in my 30s than I was in my teens.

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
No. How would breaking something that costs a lot of money make me feel better?
I assume like anything done in anger it's more of a spontaneous and instantly regretted decision rather than one done with the intent to make oneself feel better, (though there's probably a few people out there who's lives were improved because they were no longer frustrated at said game.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely broke 2 or 3 Quikshot or Zipstick controllers in my youth playing Kick Off or Speedball and the like and slamming them down in frustration. That said, they were hardly the most durable of contollers.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
Only once.

I got rocked by such unbelievable out of my control BS that I punched the keys off of my Microsoft Ergonomic and then snapped it in half like Daniel-San with an ice sculpture.

I don't play Hearthstone anymore.

Jan 11, 2018
I assume like anything done in anger it's more of a spontaneous and instantly regretted decision rather than one done with the intent to make oneself feel better, (though there's probably a few people out there who's lives were improved because they were no longer frustrated at said game.

I understand, but it seems much more sensible to put down the controller and beat the hell out of a pillow or something.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
My original Xbox Live headset for the original Xbox.

I threw it against the wall during some multiplayer game. The headband broke in half, although still worked. I felt horrible and did not want to ask my parents to help me buy a new one. I continued using it by wearing a beanie and stuffing the loose ear piece with the mic into the hat while I played. I didn't buy a new one until I had money (I was 17 and not working so it was months).

I no longer have that sort of gaming rage as an adult thankfully.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I was younger, but it was unintentional. Can't think of anything I've broken as an adult.

Now, I just turn games off if I feel I'm not enjoying them, especially multiplayer.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Only once really.
When I was 12, I punched a hole in our flimsy trailer wall (we were living in a doublewide temporarily while building a new house in Illinois)

The reason? My terrible madcatz memory card corrupted all my saves, including my FFVII save file @Gaea's Cliff.

I learned my lesson and stopped buying any 3rd party gaming accessories following that experience...

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I've never been someone who gets angry, regardless of the reason. I never damaged/broken anything due to a game. I do know someone who's smashed multple Dualshock 3's and Dualshock 4's over the years over games though...

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I once learned my desk was really thin at a certain point because uhhh yeah there suddenly was a dent in it. I dunno whats the english word for that design/way of building a desk.

Wasnt me!

Oct 29, 2017
Back 09 when I had a summer of retro game garage sales, I amassed a good ps2 collection for pennies. I played through all the Jak games. There's a racing segment in 2 I think where it's a lake and a bar or something. It was bullshit and I enjoyed the game but at try 20 something on that race I snapped the PS2 controller. I've only done it once and just wanted to see what it was like. Pretty uninteresting, I had 2 others to use anyways

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Games can make people nasty... I used to be terrible beyond words for breaking controllers... I even broke an xbox which thankfully was repairable with a new drive.

When I look back I am embarrassed at my behaviour, Now I just turn a game off if I'm getting frustrated, Stuff costs money to replace, Turning said stuff off for a break and saying fuck off game costs nothing.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
my brother and I used to bite into the controller, when we were dying in super mario world over and over again. that's why our super nintendo controllers had bite marks all over

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Nope. I usually just say no! Or damnit! Or something like that when I'm really close to killing a boss or something and die at the end.

I used to get more frustrated when I played online multiplayer games but that was usually because of other people being assholes. And I don't have any desire to deal with that anymore and played almost zero online multiplayer last gen aside from rocket league.

my best friend has spiked controllers and lost his shit at games numerous times. He doesn't really game much anymore. But he is the type who can get really mad at trivial shit.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, only thing that might count is getting pissed off at Dark Souls on my first playthrough, carelessly dropping the controller on my chair as I went to take a break and it bounced and slid onto the floor (carpet, so didn't break or make much noise), having lunch, then accidentally stepping on the controller and breaking one of the analog sticks while almost twisting my ankle.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I did a "what the fuck" angry arm wave during a game of Halo 3 on 360 and accidentally lobbed my controller across the floor. Cracked the right bumper button. Never did bother to fix that controller, lol.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I don't really get that pissed anymore but I used to be a lot more childish and used to get very mad when playing BF2 (Battlefield 2) for some reason. When a good heli/plane pilot bullied me over and over I used to get very angry and once I actually smacked one of my crappy computer speakers so it banged into the wall and its flimsy foot/stand broke a bit.
I also once took an empty PET-bottle and threw it across the room in frustration, and then it turned out it wasn't fully empty, so it splashed a small amount of half-dried coke droplets on my white wall. That's when I knew I had to stop being so childish.

Jan 10, 2018
I used to. I think I've broken maybe five controllers in total. I also tore my FFX guide in half when I was hit with a lightning bolt close to the final target (people who tried to get the ultimate weapons know what I'm talking about).

Nowadays I mostly curse a lot.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
giphy.gif

I've never been someone who gets angry, regardless of the reason. I never damaged/broken anything due to a game. I do know someone who's smashed multple Dualshock 3's and Dualshock 4's over the years over games though...
Lmao wow this gif

I used to rage at Tiger Woods games of all things when I was a kid and threw a few controllers over missed putts. I also grew up in a violent home and had a lot of anger issues so there's that.

As an adult getting therapy, I just laugh when I fail in rediculous ways in games, even in competitive stuff online, and I have some friends I don't like playing shooters with because they get too salty and worked up over it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My brothers Dualshock 2 .

He flung some maccaroni at my face so I grabbed it and threw it from my porch onto the road down the street.

Gooooooooooooood times

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
My original Intellimouse bit the dust after a particularly tense Counterstrike clan match back in the early 00s. That episode actually was the end of my clan days, thank god! Online gaming is much more enjoyable without that.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
No, that's not normal behaviour.

Btw it really sucks when you're beating someone at a game, and that person starts getting visibly angry. What am I supposed to do? Lose on purpose so that you don't throw a tantrum?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
In a particularly stressful time of my life, I smashed a PS2 controller by throwing it on my hardwood floor. I didn't mean to break it. It just got Hulk Smashed.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Nope, seems rather pointless
No. How would breaking something that costs a lot of money make me feel better?
No. That's a waste of my money which would only make me feel worse
No. Minor setbacks in video games do not cause me to smash shit.
No. Why would anyone get angry when playing anyway? Videogames are for fun.
No...why would I break stuff I worked hard to buy?

A lot of people here don't seem to understand how anger management issues work. Personally, I never broke anything, but I have a friend who broke several Xbox controllers out of anger by throwing them to the floor. It is a result of a serious issue he has and is seeking professional help for and while I do not think it's ok to break things in anger, looking at these comments people seem to act as if this is a rational decision and not a loss of control.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Almost never...

... but back when Dark Souls was new and I first met Ornstein and Smough I had a little incident. Spent half an evening throwing myself against the troublesome duo to no avail. I then had an excellent run, only to get squashed when they hit only 5% health left.

I threw my (Gears of War 3 limited edition) controller on my bed in frustration which bounced and clipped my wall, which damaged the bumper. As anyone who,'s plays Souls knows, the bumpers are the block and attack buttons, so this only made the game harder with an unpredictable block.

Ornstein and Smough had the last laugh for sure.

I still have that controller as a testament to my momentary weakness, and a stark reminder of the cost of victory.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The most I've done is an eye roll or this -_-.

Okay maybe a middle finger at the screen at a boss in From games. -_- ,|,

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
A lot of people here don't seem to understand how anger management issues work. Personally, I never broke anything, but I have a friend who broke several Xbox controllers out of anger by throwing them to the floor. It is a result of a serious issue he has and is seeking professional help for and while I do not think it's ok to break things in anger, looking at these comments people seem to act as if this is a rational decision and not a loss of control.

My reply was not meant as a slight on people with anger management issues. OP asked a simple question, it does not seem like there was an underlying issues behind it, so I gave a short, simple answer.

And I know all about anger management issues, I've had a knife pointed at me more than once by my brother when he was losing an argument, but I did not get the feeling that the thread waa about that.