• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you do the dishes after every meal?

• Yes; immediately after every meal

Votes: 183 45.3%
  • No; just one time per day

Votes: 108 26.7%
  • No; I do them the next day

Votes: 40 9.9%
  • No; I usually wait for the weekend

Votes: 33 8.2%
  • No; I do the dishes when the sink is full

Votes: 40 9.9%

• Total voters

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
We have too many people home to leave them. It'd be a disaster if no one kept up with it. Drive me crazy to be honest if they were left out.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Dont own a dishwasher, so yeah wash them immediately .

just gets it out of the way. Plus fuck trying to wash dried food on a plate or just living it in the sink and letting it fester.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Every night. Mostly motivated by the need to deal with/prep baby bottles/cups/etc.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
While stuff is cooking I'll clean stuff I won't be using. The plate, utensil and pan that I used to cook I do right after I eat

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Lol poll needs 'no, I do them when the sink is full' option. Our household is fully of lazy sacks.

kaister

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily right after each meal but the dishes are usually done before dinner (kitchen must be clear before prepping for dinner) and after dinner (where there are tons of things to clean). We hand wash, no dishwasher.

Edited: Changed my vote to when the is sink is full because it's more accurate in my situation. We dont do dishes based on time of day. It's based on whenever we need to clear the sink. Note that we define a "full" sink as a few bowl/plate and utensil so in the end we might be doing dishes as much as after each meals.

Last edited:

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on if it was a simple meal. When a pot needs to be soaked then I just leave it until later so I can do everything at the same time.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I do it every other day when i have a decent amount to clean. Trying to save water usage and our place has a shitty electric boiler that costs a shit load to heat the tank up so I rather not use it every night.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
I do the dishes in the morning while I wait for the coffee to brew. I have a dishwasher but live alone so find it easier just to wash them by hand.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
No, I usually throw them in the dishwasher before I go to bed. As a single guy doing them after every meal seems wasteful.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
No, not generally. I'd have to take that on myself if I wanted that done, as there's zero chance I could get my wife to help with any consistency. Just how she was raised, I guess—for her, cleaning up after anything seems like it's always some separate activity that takes place at some indeterminate point in the future, and not a part of "completing" the activity that generated the mess. And after the evening meal specifically, is usually when when we relax together for a while. Dishes piling up was definitely an issue in the past before we bought a house with a dishwasher—if I was in that situation again, I'd probably stay on top of them, as my mess-tolerance has decreased over the years.

I do most of the cooking these days, so I try to do as much cleaning and loading of the dishwasher while I'm cooking as is feasible, to minimize the post-meal cleanup. Outside of that, any dirty dishes accumulate throughout the day either in one of the sinks, or on the counter space beside the sink and above the dishwasher, or get put right in the dishwasher. The dishwasher gets unloaded, reloaded, and run on average once a day, and I'll wash anything that needs hand-washing (e.g. certain pots & pans, knives) at that time. We might do that at some point in the evening, or I'll do it first thing in the morning while making coffee.

Last edited:

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Yes, and I hand wash everything.

My Filipina mother instilled this with my sister and I as kids.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It changes, I've been living alone with no outside help for 4 months now (since the lockdown started) and I'd sometimes wash once per day, sometimes once every 2 or 3 days, but sometimes I'd let the sink get almost full and spent like an hour and a half on a Saturday doing the dishes while listening to music or watching random YT videos. In fact I'm about to do them right now after 2 days.
Edit: Oh yeah, I wash them by hand.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I generally clean as I cook and tend to have a pretty clean kitchen by the time that I'm done. Obviously it depends on what I'm cooking, and how many I'm preparing for.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, but it's harder now...My daughter is ~17 months and thinks it's funny to take things out of the dishwasher while I'm loading stuff in there.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I won't do it after every single meal but definitely once a day, usually after 2 or 3 meals have been prepared. I'll obviously do what needs to be used for the latter meals of the day if it got used the first time, but collectively I only do dishes once a day.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I normally eat out over the weekend and lunch during the week, so once a week the domestic cleaner does the dishes of the 3-4 dinners I do eat at home

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Have a dishwasher but wash by hand 99% of the time and use the dishwasher as a drying rack, basically.

Wash them once before bed every night.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Most of the time. Sometimes if I've cooked a big meal and used a lot of shit then I'll just do next morning.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is definitely me--gotta wash 'em after every meal. Every time I pass by the sink (if I don't wash 'em) otherwise, the plates...haunt/taunt me. Plus it's just me, so I've no need for the dishwasher; I hand wash them.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a machine dishwasher. But I like to clean the dishes after a meal if I can. Depending on what I'm making, I like to clean my cooking items as I'm done using them, too. If I don't do it right away they will sit for usually a day before I get to them.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I answered yes but i really just rinse my plate and put it in the dishwasher. Once that is full I run the dishwasher. I have high quality cookware and I like to keep it nice so I usually hand wash the pots/pans I use right after dinner.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I will absolutely rinse or soak dishes as needed before putting them in the dishwasher. The dishwasher then gets run about twice a week.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I have a dishwasher so I run it when it's full. But it's one of those half sized dishwashers because a full size didn't fit. So unfortunately that's like once every two days at the most. It sucks.

For big pots and pans that don't fit I wash them right after. I get this uses more water and isn't even the most effective way to wash pots and pans where you can let them soak, but my wife is anal about that stuff and has gotten it into my head to wash everything as soon as we use it.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
While cooking, I clean as I go. We don't have much counter space and I don't like the mess or clutter. After dinner, the person who didn't cook always does the remaining dishes right away, that's like the unspoken agreement our relationship has always had. 🤷‍♂️

I've only used a dishwasher one time in my life!

Oct 27, 2017
Most people are lying. We absolutely would love to be the kind of people that do this but nope. We end up waiting too long and have to do a giant pile of dishes every few days.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
My SO and I are weirdly functional adults who both incredibly HATE doing the dishes. So we take equal turn in doing it, and we wait until the sink is kind of full in order to do the dishes. It kind of happens twice a week (or more if we cooked a lot), we both do it, taking turns in doing it. Granted, we have the luxury of doing so because there's only the two of us. It would be a very different ordeal if we had children, for sure.

Ultimately, buying a dishwasher is something we want to do because goddammit, we do fucking hate doing the dishes so badly!

May 24, 2019
Am I weird in enjoying washing a full sink load of dishes? It's a good repetitive task to relax and listen to podcasts with.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Yes, either I'm trying to get the dishes into my dishwasher (which I only run when pretty full) or I wash by hand if need be. I can't stand the thought of dirty dishes staying out to attract ants/flies or other sorts of pests.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's not immediately after, I usually bring my dishes to my computer desk to watch stuff or browse the net while eating. But usually the next time I go downstairs I'll bring the dishes down to wash. I don't like to let it pile up so I usually let it go before the next meal.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I live alone n absolutely hate dishes. I use paper plates + plastic forks/spoons. I also ask the women im seeing in my life to do them for me when they come over. I've had my new place since feb and I've washed my own dishes 4-5 times. Every other time one of 5 others have done it.
This is wildly wasteful.

Edit: Missed the part where you ask your dates / SOs to do your dishes. What the fuck?

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no.

I'm lazy as hell when it comes to dishes, but it helps that I don't have a lot and at worst, my sink might get a quarter full. Usually just spoons and forks in there and a cup.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. EVERY time.

I have NEVER gone to bed with dirty dishes in the sink.

Edit:If I see dirty dishes in the sink before I cook
...I go onto a rage.

Last edited: