• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we do enough to save the planet?

• Yes

Votes: 181 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,548 89.5%

• Total voters

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
No "this thread is pessimistic" posts. No "gotta be optimistic" comments. No "if this and this and this all happen, then maybe". Do you believe that we will do enough to save our planet? As our world currently is, are we doomed? Are the next generations fucked?

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Lol no.

The planet is fucked. Humanity is greedy and self serving and will not sacrifice things for the good of future generations.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
My kids will see the escalation of mass starvation on this planet, and their kids will see famine kill a good part of the world's population.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
We will IF someone, somewhere finds an energy source way cheaper than fossils on a scale that even businessmen would be foolish not to adopt it.

Basically our only hope are the Chinese and the Germans.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
No, climate change is natural to Earth. We can't stop something which is cosmic.

We can on stop pollutingthe Earth though.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
No. I have more comprehensive thoughts on why but no.

Consider the degree to which society will have to change in order to cut CO2 enough and then consider that lots of places have had to fight tooth and nail just to ban plastic straws.

Better pray for a tech miracle.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
If we keep going as we are no, we need a system change. And it isn't so much stopping, but making the consequences less desatrous. There won't be a switch, it is/will be progressive, and we are already living it.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
No, and we're not going to have the infrastructure, resources, or personnel to deal with the cascading increase in rampaging fires that will happen as the temperature rises, because the Right is insane and the "Moderates" don't give a fuck.

And that's sadly the tip of the iceberg.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Like a lazy person eating chips, completely out of shape, waddles out of bed and asks "Do you think I will break that olympic track record?" and then falls back asleep.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Once again, the poll asks a different question to the thread title.

We won't "stop climate change in its tracks", not any time soon at least because that is a system way beyond out current control.

We will do enough to "save the planet" if by "save the planet" you mean "maintain the environment to such a degree that humans can continue to survive".

Last edited:

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Scientists and top CEOs knew about it all fourty years ago. Nobody did anything then and nobody will do anything now, as long as there's profit to be made from it all. +5 degrees by 2070 is looking optimistic at this point.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

I can too. From your last link:

" Earth's climate has changed naturally over the past 650,000 years, moving in and out of ice ages and warm periods. Changes in climate occur because of alterations in Earth's energy balance, which result from some kind of external factor or "forcing"—an environmental factor that influences the climate. The ice ages and shifting climate were caused by a combination of changes in solar output, Earth's orbit, ocean circulation, albedo (the reflectivity of the Earth's surface) and makeup of the atmosphere (the amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases such as water vapor, methane, nitrous oxide and ozone that are present)."

It is natural. We CAN't stop it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

" Earth's climate has changed naturally over the past 650,000 years, moving in and out of ice ages and warm periods. Changes in climate occur because of alterations in Earth's energy balance, which result from some kind of external factor or "forcing"—an environmental factor that influences the climate. The ice ages and shifting climate were caused by a combination of changes in solar output, Earth's orbit, ocean circulation, albedo (the reflectivity of the Earth's surface) and makeup of the atmosphere (the amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases such as water vapor, methane, nitrous oxide and ozone that are present)."

Dude... yes, but no.

We aren't talking about natural climate change here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
No. We are decades too late and its a struggle to dip our toes into the water of doing something about it. Human life on this planet is going to get shittier and shittier.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV

You cherry picked one paragraph about ice ages, which the rest of the site makes clear is NOT the cause of this most recent change to climate. The science is there and completely irrefutable. The things happening now are because of humanity.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I worry for my children and what they will have to deal with. People are always in it for short term gains, they never care about long term issues. Greed will destroy this planet because humans are so selfish.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
spiral_2017_large.gif

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Dude... yes, but no.

We aren't talking about natural climate change here.

I gave an answer to OPs question, whish is: "Be honest, do you actually think we will stop climate change in it's tracks? Are we good enough for that?"

My answer is: No, we can't stop something that is natural to Earth.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
4 years ago I thought we could fix it. Now I just hope the century doesn't end in complete catastrophe.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I gave an answer to OPs question, whish is: "Be honest, do you actually think we will stop climate change in it's tracks? Are we good enough for that?"

My answer is: No, we can't stop something that is natural to Earth.
It's pretty clear what the OP is asking. He's specifically asking about the threat of man-made climate change.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
We won't stop it, but it's not the end of humanity either. Those with means will endure, those without will suffer.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I don't think we will. I expect everything to get worse in the coming decades.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a thousands-year journey. It'll get worse before it gets better, but humanity will survive, technology will still progress, and the carbon levels will eventually go down as we switch to clean energy and natural processes or human intervention will lower the carbon in the atmosphere. Biodiversity will take a massive hit by the end of it.