• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you watched Walking with Dinosaurs?

• Yes

Votes: 77 90.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
So as a kid i grew up on a show called Walking with Dinosaurs. I remember extremely enjoying it due to really liking dinosaurs as a kid despite some questionable elements of it (it's not really accurate to modern day knowledge and the CGI looks questionable at the best of times). But something i just noticed after rewatching some scenes from it is that it's oddly gory for a show that many kids back in the day watched. Like Walking with Dinosaurs did not shy away from having some gory scenes that would not be out of place in a 15 rates TV Show

Maybe my memory blocked out the gore in Walking with Dinosaurs as a kid or i did not remember it. Anyway - i am curious to know what your thoughts and opinions are on Walking with Dinosaurs.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
No more so than any other nature documentary, really. I like that's how they treated it, though, like it was all filmed on location with real animals.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
No more so than any other nature documentary, really. I like that's how they treated it, though, like it was all filmed on location with real animals.
Eh a lot of nature documentries i watched kinda didn't show the gore or at least heavily implied it. I am suprised WOD was regularly shown to kids especially the depressing ending with the baby t-rexes

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Eh a lot of nature documentries i watched kinda didn't show the gore or at least heavily implied it. I am suprised WOD was regularly shown to kids especially the depressing ending with the baby t-rexes
Maybe you're misremembering it, then? Because I've seen plenty of nature docs that are a lot more graphic than WwD.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Sir David's nature documentaries from back in the days were pretty brutal too. Never shying away from showing the harsh reality of survival in the natural world. His Life collection in particular which I still prefer to the more bombast Planet Earth et al.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
It's dinosaurs. Most books about them have gore and dead dinosaurs in them if they're at least somewhat educational. If you didn't have a book when you were younger of an Allosaurus tearing huge chunks out of a downed sauropod or the "Tenontosaurus attacked by swarm of Deinonychus" trope illustration in it then you missed out.

I did like the show a lot when it debuted, but I do remember some of the animation being a liiiiiiiiiiiitle bit dodgy even when it debuted. But they improved upon it quite quickly (the "Ballad of Big Al" short was excellent)

Just want to add that the live arena show was great.

1000% this. As a fully grown adult I don't think I've ever been more wide-eyed mesmerised by anything than I was at a slightly-larger-than-real-sized animatronic Tyrannosaurus, her juvenile and a Torosaurus dancing around an arena as I was when watching this. Incredible technology and utterly unforgettable.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Pretty normal for dinosaur documentaries (much like Nature documentaries like Planet Earth) to be gory.

I mean, gory dino images was even prevalent in educational CD-Roms back in the day.

This gory image in the spoiler below - From Microsoft Dangerous Creatures CD ROM which is part of the "Microsoft At Home" educational programme back in the 90s - specifically comes to mind.

10449-19-microsoft-dangerous-creatures.jpg

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Before trash TV was the norm documentaries mostly got lowbrow views by skirting censorship on nudity and violence. So they didn't cut away before the lions had their dinner time and a few shows had full frontal nudity during the daytime, which was wild.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
a lot of documentaries have violence in them to entice people like kids to watch them

I know my class when we were like 8 loved that shit

Dec 31, 2017
It's an awesome series, even tho the CGI is dated by today's standards. I wish they would redo it.

walking with Monsters and walking with Cavemenare also fantastic.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
a lot of documentaries have violence in them to entice people like kids to watch them

I know my class when we were like 8 loved that shit
Being honest, i don't think the parents of today would allow the kids of today to watch half the stuff we watched back in the day.

It's an awesome series, even tho the CGI is dated by today's standards. I wish they would redo it.

walking with Monsters and walking with Cavemenare also fantastic.
Someone has re-done it. (at least the first two episodes)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Kids love gory dinosaur action. Anyone have any of those Dinosaurs Attack cards from back when?

DA3-1200x807.jpg

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Before trash TV was the norm documentaries mostly got lowbrow views by skirting censorship on nudity and violence. So they didn't cut away before the lions had their dinner time and a few shows had full frontal nudity during the daytime, which was wild.

Okay that's weird. I just had the thought yesterday about how I used to be able to see naked people on TV as long as they were documentaries.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Had to teach those kids brutality of the world rather sooner than later.
It applied to many 90s cartoons too, The Animals of Farthing Wood for example was fucking cruelly savage.
A.jpg

2.png

3.png

Rest of the deaths documented here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
what's wrong with show carnivores hunting and eating other animals? It's just part of nature and part of life.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had to teach those kids brutality of the world rather sooner than later.
It applied to many 90s cartoons too, The Animals of Farthing Wood for example was fucking cruelly savage.
A.jpg

2.png

3.png

Rest of the deaths documented here.
Yeah this show was utterly brutal as a kid.

Ive come to realise how much violence British kids were subjected to. Between this stuff and the road safety campaigns...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great show, for kids and adults, and holds up impressively well in spite of outdated effects (and now somewhat outdated scientific knowledge).

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yo remember when Bubbles shanked a dude in the throat using his own horn, that shit was badass. TV used to be cool man.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
And I remember loving every minute of it.

Really wish there was a modern high quality dino documentary. We're solely lacking in them.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
British animations were pretty hardcore back in the days. Watership Down anyone?

Along with dubbed British animation of that kind, we Nordic kids were exposed to dubbed Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, this sweet anime about a wild pack dogs in rural Japan. Punctured eyes and decapitations were censored in Finnish dub, but otherwise all the bloody glory was there. Pretty good anime honestly, it is practically a samurai story full of very idealized bushido, even if it's all about dogs fighting bears and other dogs.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I watched this when it came out when I was 7 and it was my absolute favourite thing on television.

Yeah. I do wonder what a Walking with Dinosaurs tv show would be like if it was made today

Oh man, keep the nature documentary style of the original, the epic music, and Branagh's narration and I'm all in. (And the practical effects.)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a kid obsessed with dinosaurs, I couldn't tell you the amount of times I watched this. It was like crack to me.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Along with dubbed British animation of that kind, we Nordic kids were exposed to dubbed Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, this sweet anime about a wild pack dogs in rural Japan. Punctured eyes and decapitations were censored in Finnish dub, but otherwise all the bloody glory was there. Pretty good anime honestly, it is practically a samurai story full of very idealized bushido, even if it's all about dogs fighting bears and other dogs.

Holy shit my guy. Imma have to watch this.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I remember being really excited about it as a kid, watching it, and not really liking it as much do to all the gore. But then, also, not really being sure what a dinosaur documentary when they never fought or ate each other would be like.