• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Tales of British online retail woes in a post-brexit world thanks to the BBC this morning.

Londoner Sascha Grillo was trying to add to his model collection by ordering a new car from a seller in Germany, but when he typed into the website that he wanted delivery to the UK, the price leapt up from £50 to £62.
"I was shocked, because I thought that with the Brexit deal, this wouldn't happen," he said.
"I thought day-to-day commercial transactions would remain the same, but this is not the case."
He decided not to buy.

Karishma Neog, an IT professional based in Bristol, has a weakness for designer handbags. In the first week of January she ordered two, one for her and one as a present, from a retailer in Paris, spending £600 plus £25 for delivery.
When they arrived she was charged an extra £123.
"I had no inkling it was going to be the case," she says. There was no mention of it on the seller's site.

When former soldier Hamish Clarke was stationed in Germany in the 1970s he developed an interest in modern European pottery. He still adds to his collection, buying on marketplaces or direct from sellers in Germany and Belgium.
He spied four pieces of pottery he liked on eBay and agreed a price of €160 [£142] with the seller.
"When I tried to pay for it, it was asking for €191 euros," he says.
He wondered whether the charges might have been avoided if he had bought directly from the seller.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55752541

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Did this guy vote for Brexit? If he did I hope he realised people were telling them that this was going to happen for MONTHS before the vote.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh. I've got a 1:18 model F1 car on back-order from Germany since last year. It retails for £350. I didn't think about how much that's going to cost in taxes...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Did this guy vote for Brexit? If he did I hope he realised people were telling them that this was going to happen for MONTHS before the vote.
Most of these folks voted for the hypothetical "Britain keeps all the benefits that EU member states enjoy - i.e. Britains being free to travel and toll free trade - while also being able to restrict who (i.e which foreigners) enters Britain, and also - somehow - have reduced (or no) payments towards the EU"-deal BREXIT.

The "have your cake and eat it too" Brexit.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like they didn't realize what brexit entailed. It goes both ways, too. I used to order from amazon.co.uk before brexit, but that's not happening anymore.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Tbh I'm surprised they're even blaming it on Brexit and not Covid as a usual attempt to cover up the mess.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Haha, Of course, custom/duty tax dude.

I think it better to keep using the fee till all international stops that, which never. Blame on UN and WTO.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Should have paid attention to the warnings that "Project Fear" put forward back in 2016. I did. So did many here.

Alas...

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
No matter what else, but this:

"There was no mention of it on the seller's site."

is almost certainly not true. There would have 100% been a mention somewhere in the small print during checkout process or in T&Cs that the buyer is responsible for import duties.

Leopards eating people's faces I guess.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The mid 2010s or as it will be known the half decade when every moron decided to vote.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, the consequences of voting against your own best interests, no one could have seen this predictable problem happening.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sucks for those of us that were telling people for months what would happen before the referendum. But I don't have any sympathy for anyone that believed the lies about where money goes in the EU, voted for Brexit and is now somehow surprised at the increased cost of everything from the continent. Turns out that one small island doesn't really have any leverage over the dozens that make up its main trading partner sitting on its only land border. Who knew (apart from, you know, the 17m of us that voted remain). Well, the Tories and their media partners did, but that didn't stop them encouraging people to shoot themselves in the foot with sheer xenophobia, venom, hubris and incompetence. Sitting on the board of a major trade alliance or sitting next to it begging for scraps. Golf clap, Britain.

Last edited:

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
You realise the majority of people who voted for Brexit see things like people having to pay more for designer handbags from Europe, and struggling with pet passports as very much part of their intention of voting for Brexit - not some sort of annoying unforeseen consequence?

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Its almost like the only thought people had when voting, was about keeping foreigners out.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kept the leaflet the govt put through the door before the vote and every time a story like this comes up where people are surprised by things happening, I like to check that it's in there.

Yep, this is in there. Literally, this information was posted through your door. Dumb pricks screwed the rest of us because they couldn't be arsed to read something that was already in their home.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Actually in a total masterclass of extra-judicial dickishness the British government did make the seller liable.
To be honest, this is not just British government, other countries do it too. So for example, Amazon has in those cases to already collect the import duties from you when it charges your card for the purchase you made, if it's being exported to another country which charges the recipient an import duty.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was charged £25 for import charges / handling fees when receiving a parcel from the US in early January; as the parcel came via Germany.

Luckily the sender (a client of mine) had the budget to reimburse me.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The descriptions of what they are trying to buy make this peak white people problems but the added dose of leopards eating faces.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks for those of us that were telling people for months what would happen before the referendum. But I don't have any sympathy for anyone that believed the lies about where money goes in the EU, voted for Brexit and is now somehow surprised at the increased cost of everything from the continent. Turns out that one small island doesn't really have any leverage over the dozens that make up its main trading partner sitting on its only land border. Who knew (apart from, you know, the 17m of us that voted remain). Well, the Tories and their media partners did, but that didn't stop them encouraging people to shout themselves in the foot with sheer xenophobia, venom, hubris and incompetence. Sitting on the board of a major trade alliance or sitting next to it begging for scraps. Golf clap, Britain.
I disagree with this somewhat. Clarity over what Brexit actually meant in reality wasn't exactly obvious to many people prior to the referendum, so I'm willing to forgive people who voted that way and regret it. It's those that voted and stuck to the flag waving and subsequently voted for the Tories that I detest.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
In fairness, I had no idea your average consumer would get a price bump like this by ordering stuff from the EU (and I voted remain).

It was a point that really wasn't talked about much in regards to your average consumer (most talk of that kind was in regards to business not imports by the general public). Those campaigning for remain probably should have pushed it as a talking point far more.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty well telegraphed coming out of the single market and customs union would do this.

It doesn't just hurt us importing stuff it also hurts us exporting stuff too. I make and sell things and a lot of my customers are in EU. I already had to juggle cost to make vs shipping costs but adding import fees on top is 100% going to put a lot of people off. There is already a tiny margin on what I do so I can't reduce the price any more than I already do.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the narrative in here about people voting for Brexit, when there's nothing in the piece to suggest these people did/didn't?

Just makes me feel uneasy that everyone is turning against fellow individuals based on a presumption, as opposed to the absolute charlatans who peddled these myths and aren't even being impacted by the negative aspects.

I'm pleased that more people seem to be waking up to the reality of this project, but I'm disappointed that many are being negatively impacted - can't take solace in that regardless of how they may have ticked a box 5 years ago

(Frankly, I couldn't give a damn about the Remain/Leaver divide anymore, as I feel like it's a great way to further division and deflect ire away from those who should be receiving it)

I do wonder when Michael Gove will pop up and tell us about the benefits of this situation though.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
one of my coworker is Uk based. He's also a crazy sim racing player. He recently ordered a premium carbon paddle module for his Fanatec wheel. Unfortunately for him, if gaming wheels or similar are free of import taxes in UK, that's apparently very different for carbon made products with no electronics in it (might be classified as tools or something like that ?). Paddle cost 180e, he had 70£ of custom taxes + extra fees from UPS so in the end it almost double the cost (and of course it took 3 weeks to be delivered instead of a few days...).

He was 100% against brexit but wasn't at all aware about the level of import taxes this was going to cost (was expecting some, but not that high). He feels like he was fucked not once, but twice without his consent...

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the narrative in here about people voting for Brexit, when there's nothing in the piece to suggest these people did/didn't?

Just makes me feel uneasy that everyone is turning against fellow individuals based on a presumption, as opposed to the absolute charlatans who peddled these myths and aren't even being impacted by the negative aspects.

I can't recall a single "remoaner" complaining about things we knew were going to happen. It's the ignorant people moaning bout it who probably voted for Brexit.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Perfect example of why the average joes shouldn't vote on complex issues

Reminds me of thinking that less people engaging in Democratic process is better because it becomes more controllable and you can more easily get result(s) you need or want.

When answer should be education of voting populace with actual facts instead of hot steaming piles of pure bullshit amplified by media.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018

I'm pleased that more people seem to be waking up to the reality of this project, but I'm disappointed that many are being negatively impacted - can't take solace in that regardless of how they may have ticked a box 5 years ago

I do wonder when Michael Gove will pop up and tell us about the benefits of this situation though.

Getting dunks in as quickly as possible > reading the article.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
i didnt expect my foot to hurt and bleed when I shot it, im outraged.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I got hit with 26.81€ in taxes on my models I ordered from the UK in December yesterday. Apparently the cutoff is 150€ and my package was slightly over? Now I have to look into getting UK VAT back - or not, the company is small and boutique. I'm just slightly miffed that I went over that number when I have to order an out of stock item in the future, anyway, and could've split the order.

But thaaaanks Brexiters. Same for the new GW price rices.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, the people in this article probably voted Remain. Most who voted Leave are probably very pleased to hear someone buying designer handbags from Europe has to pay more for them.
How do you know?

People who voted Remain were more clued up on the consequences. It's the Brexiteers that were ignorant about what was to come.

Every article I've seen about Brexit aftermath are people who proudly voted for Brexit now complaining about it.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Time to start collecting rotten fish or trash from lorry parks.
You can transform the entire UK economy based on rotten fish: Food= rotten fish, beverages= juices of rotten fish, gas and oils= made from rotting fish fat, clothings, bags, wrappings= rotten fish skin, tools= bones of rotting fishes, houses= built from bricks of pressed rotten fish and so on.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
How do you know?

People who voted Remain were more clued up on the consequences. It's the Brexiteers that were ignorant about what was to come.

Every article I've seen about Brexit aftermath are people who proudly voted for Brexit now complaining about it.

Most polls on rejoining/staying out of the EU are still basically 50/50, often leaning towards staying out.

Obviously the most attention grabbing stories are those of 'Fisherman who voted leave now loses business' or other people directly negatively impacted by their own vote - but there is no sign that public opinion has changed significantly.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Again, the people in this article probably voted Remain. Most who voted Leave are probably very pleased to hear someone buying designer handbags from Europe has to pay more for them.

Even if they're so ignorantly stupid to be actively pleased for that specific example, they won't be pleased about inevitably having to pay more for everything when the tariffs really start impacting everything including such little things as ...food.

Heck, even things like Nintendo switch physical games all imported through an office registered in Germany (look at any switch games case, bottom right), which will end up translating to higher costs to get them to the UK. Will they be happy about that costing more too?

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Even if they're so ignorantly stupid to be actively pleased for that specific example, they won't be pleased about inevitably having to pay more for everything when the tariffs really start impacting everything including such little things as ...food.

Heck, even things like Nintendo switch physical games all imported through an office registered in Germany (look at any switch games case, bottom right), which will end up translating to higher costs to get them to the UK. Will they be happy about that costing more too?

Looking at the age ranges that voted Leave, I don't think too many will be bothered about Nintendo Switch game prices.

I'm not trying to defend the position, but I feel for many the view is that 'if an extra 20p for my ham, egg and chips is the price to pay to own the Remainers, then it's a price worth paying'.