• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
When people are more concerned about winning the next gen price wars, the brand and success of that brand, becomes more important than slavery

I've.been pretty clear about being willing to pay more for stuff to be made in inhumane conditions or even returned home to Japan to manufacture consoles again. Pipe dream I know, but I think we low wage countries like Vietnam will have to be better than these labor camps right?
The biggest thing China has is they already set up technology and trained people over there. Moving all that stuff even to Viet Nam is 1, really fucking expensive. 2, The quality is not insured. 3, They want to have access to the China population and kowtow to their government.

Another thing is I really don't want them to bring even more factories to Viet Nam, especially tech factory, the amount of toxic waste these factories can pump out is horrifying.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Evidence that when brands say Black Lives Matter, they don't mean it at all.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
What are things we can do? Raise awareness? I just can't see any major tech firm abandoning China.

Abandoning China is easy ("easy"). That won't stop China using slave labour though. And it won't stop, for example, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Taiwan or Vietnam to use slave labour either. But it's a big start since China are a major player in the tech sector that is outright clear with what they're doing, except the media looks the other way about it.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I guess it's hard to know what to do. You can't really pressure your government because all governments around the world are complicit in this*. And as a consumer, it feels like you don't really have a choice. Want a new PC? Good luck finding one with an ethical supply chain.

Things change when people are shown practical things they can do to enact that change.

*Heres a digression : I was in Sri Lanka recently (strongly recommend it. Lovely place) and I got off a train. The trains were built in the days of British colonialism.When I got off the train I drove down a new $1 billion highway built by a Chinese consortium. China is colonising the world economically. These things don't come free.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a few of us did everything we could to get them talking about this but none of them would budge. Some even copped bans lol.

It really did seem like everyone, journalists included, wanted to sweep this under the rug.

That's because everyone cares about stopping others suffering....until it effects their bottom line or their hobbies and wants. I made a topic about goodbye volcano high having the same writer who put images of CP on a kotaku article and the very first post quickly dismisses it. Peak humanity right there. When it comes push and shove, people will look after their own interests first. I see it here all the time sadly. I'll be honest, I too am guilty of this. I try, I do try, but sometimes i forget things. Hell, with all the shit going on this year i nearly forgot about this to the point that i got hyped over the ps5 event. I can do better, we all can.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BLM is a serious issue. But that's why I don't care what a _company_ says, because so many of them are involved in other dirty things, like this, so their statements are hypocritical and BS, frankly. Heck, they are hypocritical even if strictly talkig about black lives; we know this.

In general, media doesn't call out injustices and opression nearly enough. So much is "Not my problem", as you can tell from some regions of the world that gloss over BLM and move on. It's all about that currency, rather than human decency, eh. The nonchalance from heads and media is despicable.

Also, I personally gloss over Sticky threads, I think naturally most users eyes gravitate towards the regular threads, not the sticky. Has been this way for me as a forum user for decades! Heat maps will probably prove that.
Of course it is but so are many other issues around the world, such as slavery. BLM or whatever issues people gloss over it because they don't care unless they are involved themselves and in winch region they come from.

It serieously is just freaking sad.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I've.been pretty clear about being willing to pay more for stuff to be made in humane conditions or even returned home to Japan to manufacture consoles again. Pipe dream I know, but I think we low wage countries like Vietnam will have to be better than these labor camps right?

Vietnam doesn't have slave labour camps but it's not a liberal democracy with the best labour and environmental standards ether. Vietnam is a one-party Communist state like China.

Another common suggestion, Malaysia, is a constitutional democracy with a Westminster style parliament but it is not as free as say Canada in regards to the press and religious freedom. Plus it has it's fair share of corruption.

So while they would be a leg up on China for ethical reasons they will still have issues.

India would be better, for at least it's a democracy with a free press/media. So citizens can make their voices heard. Still their labour and environmental standards are not as strong as they are in Europe and the Americas.

Really if you want an ethical console/PCs you need to have them manufactured in the West using Western labour. Even then the natural resources required for manufacturing would have to come from places like the Congo. So they'd still be tainted.

It really is one world economy. So until the world all agrees on international standards, oppression and mistreatment will always happen.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
When I got off the train I drove down a new $1 billion highway built by a Chinese consortium. China is colonising the world economically. These things don't come free.
That has more or less been China's strategy in several African countries, too. I know there are several developmental projects being funded in Kenya. Usually, that means a Chinese manager supervising low-wage Kenyan workers, a reflection of the racism and discrimination also being imported.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I guess it's hard to know what to do. You can't really pressure your government because all governments around the world are complicit in this*. And as a consumer, it feels like you don't really have a choice. Want a new PC? Good luck finding one with an ethical supply chain.

Things change when people are shown practical things they can do to enact that change.

*Heres a digression : I was in Sri Lanka recently (strongly recommend it. Lovely place) and I got off a train. The trains were built in the days of British colonialism.When I got off the train I drove down a new $1 billion highway built by a Chinese consortium. China is colonising the world economically. These things don't come free.
Yes, my understanding is that they are effectively building up basic infrastructure Africa and certain areas of Asia and spreading good will and leverage in the process that will last for decades to come.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People dont care about non-western lives. It is infuriating. The least people could do is talk about it instead of ignoring it.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has 15 pages but my thread about Demon's Souls having Casual Mode has almost FIFTY? Wtf?

We need to make more noise in here about this, hell keep bumping it if it needs be this is literal slavery and as working class westerners most of us can barely do anything about a problem of this scale in China in the first place, the least we could do is have the issue front and center.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has 15 pages but my thread about Demon's Souls having Casual Mode has almost FIFTY? Wtf?

We need to make more noise in here about this, hell keep bumping it if it needs be this is literal slavery and as working class westerners most of us can barely do anything about a problem of this scale in China in the first place, the least we could do is have the issue front and center.

AHAHAHA! Priorities, am I right?

Casual mode doesn't even impact normal players so they're just screaming like children.

Slavery impacts humanity.

Don't you dare touch my darn elite game, you hear me!

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
AHAHAHA! Priorities, am I right?

Casual mode doesn't even impact normal players so they're just screaming like children.

Slavery impacts humanity.

Don't you dare touch my darn elite game, you hear me!

Lol. On a more serious note I'm drawing a blank as to how we can do something about this beyond boycotting products, which in itself seems impossible on a wider scale. Hell even Sony's terms of service regarding Slavery isn't enforced on all their divisions...insane.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Lol. On a more serious note I'm drawing a blank as to how we can do something about this beyond boycotting products, which in itself seems impossible on a wider scale. Hell even Sony's terms of service regarding Slavery isn't enforced on all their divisions...insane.
This is precisely the issue with this topic. I don't know what we expect the average person to do beyond posting on Era and Twitter. The reality is, these companies only care about money and barring a boycott of all electrical products, they have no incentive on listening.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

Realistically there's not much we can do. That's why it was so frustrating seeing respected journalists like Jason remain silent on the issue. We've had so many posts and threads praising his efforts and how it changed working environments for so many studios. They're the only ones with enough power to pressure these giants into talking :/

They can't even be bothered to retweet this shit.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically there's not much we can do. That's why it was so frustrating seeing respected journalists like Jason remain silent on the issue. We've had so many posts and threads praising his efforts and how it changed working environments for so many studios. They're the only ones with enough power to pressure these giants into talking :/

They can't even be bothered to retweet this shit.

"Respected".

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
User banned (permanent): Drive-by trolling in a sensitive thread. Previously banned for excusing blackface and minimizing fascism.
still buying a PS5

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am genuinely baffled by how few sites have covered this. I wrote something up for the relatively tiny website I work for back in March; you don't have to do much research to "back it up", the resources and reports from respected outlets and institutions are already there. At some point it's just about raising awareness, and they're kinda dropping the ball.

This is precisely the issue with this topic. I don't know what we expect the average person to do beyond posting on Era and Twitter. The reality is, these companies only care about money and barring a boycott of all electrical products, they have no incentive on listening.

For what it's worth I think raising the issue regularly will make it hard for corporations to pull the "we're people too!" schtick. There's power in bad PR. There just has to be a lot of it for it to work.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just check The Last of Us part II leak thread to see where are the priorities. That was end of the world serious business.

People, and gamers, just don't care. Quite a few folks in that thread wanted the leaker in jail and locked up - video games are serious! Microsoft and Sony using slave labor? They won't even make a comment. Just look at it, move on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People, and gamers, just don't care. Quite a few folks in that thread wanted the leaker in jail and locked up - video games are serious! Microsoft and Sony using slave labor? They won't even make a comment. Just look at it, move on.
You gotta be fucking kidding me. Jeez
It's absolutely a game to those people. Fuck anyone who gets in the way of their entertainment.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just check The Last of Us part II leak thread to see where are the priorities. That was end of the world serious business.
tenor.gif

May 30, 2018
Yeah it sucks. I am legit Willing to pay more if it means no slave labor. Idc how long it takes to scrounge up the funds, I'll wait if I have to, the games/system won't be going anywhere

I'd be down to sign a petition or whatever it is people here could muster up. We need to put pressure on these companies.

Unfortunately though I think we will just get a MW2 boycott 2.0 smh, where everyone grumbles and buys it anyway.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it sucks. I am legit Willing to pay more if it means no slave labor. Idc how long it takes to scrounge up the funds, I'll wait if I have to, the games/system won't be going anywhere

I'd be down to sign a petition or whatever it is people here could muster up. We need to put pressure on these companies.

Unfortunately though I think we will just get a MW2 boycott 2.0 smh, where everyone grumbles and buys it anyway.

Pretty much. Boycotting is difficult given how ingrained much of the tech side is to most people's lives. Doesn't mean you can't raise awareness. You'd want to know where your bananas came from, right? Why not your phone, or your PS5? At least people can speak up and disapprove of this practice.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Been trying to buy stuff as disconnected from China as possible. Most of the time the best you can do is not buy from any companies in the list or any companies based in China. Like 90% of stuff will be made in China.

For things to actually change, for these companies to stop exploiting human rights violations, slave labor of an oppressed group of people...you feel like it shouldn't take much, but know that it will.

Companies don't give a fuck unless it becomes a huge shitstorm and/or something they can exploit to increase revenue. And in this case people will also be less inclined to produce the required pressure to get a good shitstorm brewing, because it's something that would affect us. Everyone wants the lowest price, as long as we can ignore the cost. We shouldn't be able to ignore something like this.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, the public doesn't really care about this, which means the politicians do nothing as China is too powerful.

When the news released with several articles in Germany by one of the national publications, it barely got noticed.

The international community needs to do something about this.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I feel it needs to be more targeted and less black and white. Like it's disgraceful this happens full stop. If it's every company though it's going to be hard to get people to change anything.

If companies could be graded for how bad they are in this regard it would enable consumers to make choices. Go with the companies who are making an honest effort to tackle the issue and have removed slave labour from 95% of their supply chain for example.

I don't know if this information exists and I just haven't seen it.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many companies now publish sustainability reports (was just reading Rio Tinto's report for last year).

Is there an equivalent for ethical issues such as this? Shareholders should hold the companies to account if they engage in this sort of thing.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It should. It's still infuriating that nothing and no one is reporting on this in the game's industry. But they'll all get into little twitter feuds between each other.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
This thread need to be stickied and also always brought up when these companies try and act like they care. People need to realise what goes on to make cheap goods. It's not worth it, I would happily pay more for better, ethical products.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. Boycotting is difficult given how ingrained much of the tech side is to most people's lives. Doesn't mean you can't raise awareness. You'd want to know where your bananas came from, right? Why not your phone, or your PS5? At least people can speak up and disapprove of this practice.
Not all boycotts are the same. It's perhaps hard to boycott unethical clothes manufacturing (especially if you are poor and can't pay 150€ for a single ethically/locally produced shirt/pair of shoes) or phones that are absolutely vital to this day & age. But a PS5 isn't necessary. It's a luxury product.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
Not all boycotts are the same. It's perhaps hard to boycott unethical clothes manufacturing (especially if you are poor and can't pay 150€ for a single ethically/locally produced shirt/pair of shoes) or phones that are absolutely vital to this day & age. But a PS5 isn't necessary. It's a luxury product.
The funny thing is that Apple tried to make the trashcan Mac Pro in the US and they simply couldn't find the resources...supposedly

Ny times- A Tiny Screw Shows Why iPhones Won't Be 'Assembled in U.S.A.'

China's supply chain is just unmatched, they make everything here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that Apple tried to make the trashcan Mac Pro in the US and they simply couldn't find the resources...supposedly

Ny times- A Tiny Screw Shows Why iPhones Won't Be 'Assembled in U.S.A.'

China's supply chain is just unmatched, they make everything here.
I mean, the issue isn't even China. AFAIK, there are factories/production facilities there that aren't run with slave labour and are at least attempting to have some kind of standards (IIRC, even many of the components of that ethical phone are still manufactured in China, but the company making them is trying to make sure that everything is done as ethically as possible, always looking ways to improve production pipelines where they aren't yet perfect etc.). Western companies & countries should just demand transparency & fulfilling some kind of minimum pay & maximum work hour standards that are fair for the region. EU, US & everywhere could cooperate. We should have the economic power to enforce some change for the better, if a Nazi clown wasn't at the White House & other smaller parties had more backbone.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What we can do is secretly support anti CCP group, us living in South East Asia mostly got bully by CCP but we can't do anything openly so we do it underground or just casually take any tiny chances to shit on them.

It's a long fight, but no empire can avoid downfall forever.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This thread need to be stickied and also always brought up when these companies try and act like they care. People need to realise what goes on to make cheap goods. It's not worth it, I would happily pay more for better, ethical products.
This thread was stickied for a whole month before, but it still barely gained any traction.

I imagine that if it's just a single company among the big 3 instead of all of them, this thread will be more active. That's just how gamers are.

GameBytes

Jan 22, 2019
After the recent Pokemon game annoucment, it seems Tencent (which is backed by the CCP, as all companies are to an extent in China), is playing more and more of a role in the video game industry. Not going to be buying anything they are involved in

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This thread was stickied for a whole month before, but it still barely gained any traction.

I imagine that if it's just a single company among the big 3 instead of all of them, this thread will be more active. That's just how gamers are.
So you're telling me that we would care about human rights abuses more if we could use it as fuel for console wars?

This... is kinda realistic, won't lie.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I know this is old but for auto manufacturers, this is definitely to serve the domestic Chinese market. Making cars in china avoids tariffs and keeps cost-competitive. Some factories may be making a few special parts here and there as well. Similar to how if you buy a BMW in North America it is more than likely made in the Carolinas.

I hope they are speaking up as having that stain on your automotive luxury brand is a hard pill to swallow given everything in the news.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any news about this around?

Nothing has changed. China is still committing ethnic cleansing on a scale unheard of since the Holocaust and slavery on a scale unheard of since the African slave trade. Some countries (including the US) have issued toothless statements of condemnation, but no one wants to sacrifice profit/consumerism over mere crimes against humanity. Remember this when the question of how people tolerated evil throughout history is raised.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Nothing has changed. China is still committing ethnic cleansing on a scale unheard of since the Holocaust and slavery on a scale unheard of since the African slave trade. Some countries (including the US) have issued toothless statements of condemnation, but no one wants to sacrifice profit/consumerism over mere crimes against humanity. Remember this when the question of how people tolerated evil throughout history is raised.

I dont have any expectations about China itself. They are what they are, no need to beat around the bush. But I want to find out if Sony, Nintendo or others are involved in this somehow. I swear if evidence emerges that Nintendo turned a blind eye to this Im going to protest in person in front of their headquarters.

Oct 26, 2017
Friendly reminder that Nintendo is moving some Switch production to Vietnam. I'm not sure if Sony or MS said anything on their part, but Nintendo is one comapny doing SOMETHING at least.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Nintendo moves some Switch production to Vietnam

Nintendo is moving some production of the Switch to Vietnam, to decrease its dependence on China for manufacturing.The …