• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yet another reason why pretty much all manufacturing industries needs to become less dependent on China, hopefully recent events will lead to a more substantial reckoning than years past. The cheap cost of manufacturing there has had gigantic negative externalities for decades and it should be clear now by 2020 that those costs cannot be ignored.

Not necessarily faith in their moral compass but in their desire to avoid bad press.
There's not much bad press to be had when there are at least 83 major companies involved. Companies are rarely forced to change in situations like this unless they are uniquely responsible, as it tends to result in the blame being spread among the group, with no one company shouldering any particularly large portion of the blame. It will take far more than a few news stories to convince any of these companies to change practices, if they are indeed doing so with their public image as a primary driving factor for their decision.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Conspiratorial Rhetoric on a Sensitive Topic
You guys all know there are pro-Trump and anti-Trump medias in US, and what they will say about this person, sometime it's a good idea to listen to someone who have no intrest on the matter, a third voice(though not necessary the fact either), and for the China Uighurs matters, I hope people are willing to listen to the other side of the story, by 'other side' I don't mean China, but other countries outside of US/Europe/China, it's much more than 'Evil Chinese goverment persecute Uighurs'.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
You know what's depressing?

To boycott every of these companies, I would have to literally quit my job. And most people don't care. Most people aren't even aware that muslim prison camps exist in China. This will never end.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This country/government has totally lost it. This is shameless slavery on top of a holocaust.

absolutely terrible. and seeing this just as in india muslims are being killed and harassed, just terrible.
The best thing about all this is the world just turns the blind eye. No one will step in.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Racism is always about control. The Uyghurs are being targeted because they are the easiest to target. Other Muslim groups will eventually be targeted as well. The Chinese government desires a Han Chinese ethnostate not unlike the GOP or the multitude of cryptofascist parties across Europe.

I'm not so sure about the ethnostate thing. China's government is going after those who conflict with their political power. That includes Han Chinese too.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You guys all know there are pro-Trump and anti-Trump medias in US, and what they will say about this person, sometime it's a good idea to listen to someone who have no intrest on the matter, a third voice(though not necessary the fact either), and for the China Uighurs matters, I hope people are willing to listen to the other side of the story, by 'other side' I don't mean China, but other countries outside of US/Europe/China, it's much more than 'Evil Chinese goverment persecute Uighurs'.

Sorry but I trust these sources. Theres no agenda but to reveal the truth.

Deleted member 45773

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 10, 2018
This is why I don't understand why some people feel the need to be loyal to a brand or corporation. Their only goal is to maximize profit, and if it means getting production through contracting work by literal slaves instead of paying anyone a living wage, then so be it if it saves them a dime, it's fucking disgusting.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
You know what's depressing?

To boycott every of these companies, I would have to literally quit my job. And most people don't care. Most people aren't even aware that muslim prison camps exist in China. This will never end.

Yep. Same here. My company is heavily dependent on what gets outsourced to then. I work in a debt collection company, so not only all the computers we use comes from China, but the debt I'm collecting is from catalogues and mobile phones, which all comes from China.

At this moment, and I'm not proud of it, but I am adopting a selfish stance just to save my own mental health. Welcome to the bystander effect.

However we as western civilisation have become too dependant on China that they can literally do anything and we can't do a thing without destroying our own economy.

Hell, Coronavirus shown how dependant we are on China.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would governments imposing large tariffs on companies using these labor camps do some good? i.e. in making them change to local/more ethical labor?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, this is one of the reasons that Senator Sanders was so against the recent trade agreement with China, because (along with it not doing anything about climate change) he knew that such an agreement would do nothing to improve the labor conditions and have everything to do with rich corporations profiting even more off of these slave camps.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
You love stanning for the Chinese government, huh?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Pro tip: if you actually want to discuss something - particularly something as serious as this subject - don't just post, "there's another side to this story, guys."

What are the sources that you are referring to which complicate the issue above and beyond that China is persecuting and enslaving a minority population? Because this has been well documented by the most trusted news outlets across the globe, regardless of where those news outlets are situated.

I'm meeting you more than halfway here by the way based on your post history.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Someone is always getting screwed over somewhere. The problem is just not buying things isn't enough. Our governments need to impose heavy penalties on countries willingly engaging in and encouraging slavery. Not just tarrifs but the blocking of exports entirely.

Let's see Apple pay the Chinese to use slaves to build the new iPhone if the devices can't be legally imported to or sold in America, Asia or Europe.

Oct 29, 2017
Only way out of this is if companies move their manufacturing out of China enmasse. Basically any company that relies on Chinese manufacturing will be affected by this.

Nintendo has at least started moving some of their manufacturing to Vietnam; but that's not something that can happen and complete overnight. It's gonna take these companies years to adapt to.

With issues surrounding Coronavirus and the China/USA Tarrif Cold War going on though? This is probably the most likely time that any sort of shift like this can possibly happen, it's gonna take years and years for it to really take effect as they uproot ALL of their reliance on China.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory commentary
i really hope Coronavirus break china this really hurts

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Truly, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.
Maybe not but awareness is a the essential first step. People can't make decisions and look at ways to hold companies they patron accountable if they don't know what's happening. That's why undercover journalism and good reporting is so important. Now all the people passing through this thread looking to buy luxury products will have a decision to make if the companies they want to buy goods from won't provide full transparency on this subject.

One day more people will realize just how powerful their dollars are. Collectively, we hold far more power to instigate change than we give ourselves credit for.

Again, the question is whether we as individuals give a shit. You can't worry about what others will and won't do. You will find yourself in some moral relativism internal debate and paralysis of analysis that results in inaction. What do YOU believe and what do YOU want to be associated with, you know? What do you want to tell your grandkids you did if they asked you one day about SLAVE LABOR in the 21st century and if you fought or passively supported it? Let that guide you and your decisions to help facilitate a better future.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only way out of this is if companies move their manufacturing out of China enmasse. Basically any company that relies on Chinese manufacturing will be affected by this.

Nintendo has at least started moving some of their manufacturing to Vietnam; but that's not something that can happen and complete overnight. It's gonna take these companies years to adapt to.

With issues surrounding Coronavirus and the China/USA Tarrif Cold War going on though? This is probably the most likely time that any sort of shift like this can possibly happen, it's gonna take years and years for it to really take effect as they uproot ALL of their reliance on China.

This is a good point

It'll take time to decentralize global manufacturing dependencies that we've placed in China and move them to more ethical trading partners

Awful situation all around

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
That's a real weird way to say "I hope lots of people die" because a loss in manpower is the only way that's going to happen. They'll just replace any affected workforce, raise prices of products and life will go on.
well if you put it that way but that isn't what i meant. i just hope the CCP go away or stop their war with those poor people but i know it won't happen

I understand that you are upset by this and have every right to be, but wishing a pandemic on a large population is never a good thing.
i know i'm sorry.. it's really Painful when you can't do anything

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Disgusting. I hope at the very least, these companies can use different manufacturing plants with some sort of regulation in China....If you are going to use China at least use a more humane plant.

Fuck man you got the greed of the corporations and the government with no scruples, the only way to improve things is for consumers to make a big enough fuss to get corporations to change. China won't change regardless. They need to refuse to work with these camps.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way to live without all these brands, even those who aren't listed, very likely to have something sourced from China and will have connections to the government which allows this.

But we still need to raise this issue to those companies and try to get them to move their productions or find other sources.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not but awareness is a the essential first step. People can't make decisions and look at ways to hold companies they patron accountable if they don't know what's happening. That's why undercover journalism and good reporting is so important. Now all the people passing through this thread looking to buy luxury products will have a decision to make if the companies they want to buy goods from won't provide full transparency on this subject.

One day more people will realize just how powerful their dollars are. Collectively, we hold far more power to instigate change than we give ourselves credit for.

Again, the question is whether we as individuals give a shit. You can't worry about what others will and won't do. You will find yourself in some moral relativism internal debate and paralysis of analysis that results in inaction. What do YOU believe and what do YOU want to be associated with, you know? What do you want to tell your grandkids you did if they asked you one day about SLAVE LABOR in the 21st century and if you fought or passively supported it? Let that guide you and your decisions to help facilitate a better future.
I fully agree.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You folks think we could make a petition?

Given all the fucking useless things people make petitions for with the primary focus of not actually enacting change first hand but rather bring it front and center on MSM for however long, we could at least do this.

It fucking boils the blood when Blizzard gets called out for making some fucking mobile diablo game that makes waves and lives on in the internet's consciousness stream as undying memes but I have yet to see some random guy in these tech show's public Q&A or journalists standing up and straight up asking these companies that wear the face of progress and diversity, the question about whether they will stick with a business partner in the logistical chain that deals with slave and/or forced labour?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This is directly related with videogames so it being on the gaming side is a no brainer imo.

There's even a list of tech companies that doesn't deal with shit like this? It's even possible for a not regional/micro company to avert this?

In the end, we won't stop using our smartphones/videogames because we're fucked up.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Damn that's a lot of companies to boycott or is it ok to use them? This is worse than Blizzard's bullshit and this place rightfully tore them a new one.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I have to ask myself how I can show these companies my disapproval of this? Should I stop using my PS4? Should I stop using Windows? Should I not buy Animal Crossing? Should I stop using my iPhone? These products are so intertwined in my daily life. I hate what is happening. But I just don't know where I can make a difference. 😔
You can't really take back previous purchases but you can avoid buying new physical goods from them for the time being....and why would you buy a cartridge for Animal Crossing of all things? No longer using your products does nothing. They got their sale.
but as others say, raise awareness.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You folks think we could make a petition?

Given all the fucking useless things people make petitions for with the primary focus of not actually enacting change first hand but rather bring it front and center on MSM for however long, we could at least do this.

It fucking boils the blood when Blizzard gets called out for making some fucking mobile diablo game that makes waves and lives on in the internet's consciousness stream as undying memes but I have yet to see some random guy in these tech show's public Q&A or journalists standing up and straight up asking these companies that wear the face of progress and diversity, the question about whether they will stick with a business partner in the logistical chain that deals with slave and/or forced labour?

Petition wont do shit. This needs real old fashioned leadership at national levels calling out chinese government and imposing trade blocks, as well as mass boycotts (difficult I know given the nature of the products) to get the companies to hear/focus on the issue.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Racism is always about control. The Uyghurs are being targeted because they are the easiest to target. Other Muslim groups will eventually be targeted as well. The Chinese government desires a Han Chinese ethnostate not unlike the GOP or the multitude of cryptofascist parties across Europe.
FYI this already is happening. The report explains that they are referring to all ethnic minorities in China as Uighers for brevity after the first reference.

This report was made by Australia. Who was investigating if their own companies was in compliance in not sourcing forced labor.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The company I work for is on that list. I will send an email to my manager (He is a global manager) and get details, because our own internal policies are made to avoid such cases. Thanks Op for bringing this to the forum.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Ok, so now that this is out there, means Sony, Nintendo, MS and so on all know about it (I wonder if they already knew) and all I want to know is, can't they do something about that? It's all about money in this goddamned world, but surely there's a limit?

So again, nothing Satya Nadella (who I would like to believe isn't down with such things...) for example can do?

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks to the Corona Virus we learned parts for Western Switches are being manufactured in Vietnam and Taiwan, mostly because of the strained trade relations between the US and China. So even if we boycott, nothing would happen in China as a result. The Japanese market are the ones putting pressure on that end.

But yeah this is awful and looking at that list I'd need to spend at least twice if not thrice as long shopping for my stuff to make sure I don't support this, sigh.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

nah, fuck off with that.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We depend heavily on China, especially the tech companies. Enforcing tarrifs would start a trade war and it would be catastrophic for us
What can be done then? I'm trying not to be defeatist, and I'm all for personal restraint when it comes to consumerism, but without goverment (i.e. higher level) overseeing and policing on this, I wonder what can be done. Can the UN do someting about this? Am I being too naive?
Again, the question is whether we as individuals give a shit. You can't worry about what others will and won't do.
I understand and I agree with this. I don't agree with people saying "everybody's still going to be buying the <insert product> so I might as well buy it too". But there's got to be something more to be done than just not buying stuff. Again, I'm not saying "let's continue to buy stuff because everybody else does", what I'm saying is "let's try to do something more radical than just voting with our wallets as individuals". You know? It's like when people complain about the government telling individuals not to drive every day, or eat less meat, etc while large companies are burning forests to the ground, throwing poison in the rivers, and mass-fishing to extinction. Governments and policy makers have to bring the pressure to companies that use these unethical labor camps.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Will try avoid certain things but it's gonna be really difficult, not going to lie. I say this as a Muslim, too. But I can at least speak up and try.